Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 12661 of 52920, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PeterLI wrote:

Trident VGAs are great. I have an ISA one in my Pentium 120. Pirates! Gold works great with it. Duke Nukem 😁 not so much. 😀

Kinda why they are cheap 🤣

Fodder for 286/386 and slow 486 😈

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 12662 of 52920, by orinoko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Lukeno94 wrote:

A Libretto is definitely on my to-get list when I finally get my own place and some funds together. What was wrong with t'other one?

There are a few cracks in the top half of the casing. The Mic hole on the left lcd 'hinge' is smashed in, the right lcd lock is cracked and chipped away. I did find a few plastic pieces in the bubble wrap it was in, so I'll try to fix it as best as I can. Not too fussed, considering how cheap I got it compared to the regular prices they go for!

I totally recommend these little systems. As soon as I get a chance, I'll be formatting it and throwing win98se (network access mostly) on it along with a heap of DOS games.

OH! And it came with one of those red xircom (?) Ethernet + Modem PCMCIA cards! Handy little things they are 🤣

Reply 12663 of 52920, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

orinoko, as a user of 50CT (and previously 70CT) converted to DOS, I think you should try ditching windows on this machine. Believe me, it's worth it! You get a giant increase in battery life - mine lasts twice as long when playing under DOS than under Windows, even more with dosidle - and it takes far less time to boot. Both things are crucial for a carry-it-around retro machine.

The only thing I'm not entirely satisfied with is the lack of battery indicator. Btw, does anybody know a program that would show battery status in pure DOS? 😀

Reply 12664 of 52920, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RacoonRider wrote:

orinoko, as a user of 50CT (and previously 70CT) converted to DOS, I think you should try ditching windows on this machine. Believe me, it's worth it! You get a giant increase in battery life - mine lasts twice as long when playing under DOS than under Windows, even more with dosidle - and it takes far less time to boot. Both things are crucial for a carry-it-around retro machine.

The only thing I'm not entirely satisfied with is the lack of battery indicator. Btw, does anybody know a program that would show battery status in pure DOS? 😀

I have a old compaq armada laptop that has a full-screen overlay in true mode DOS that overlays battery status over dos things, will even show on top of (and not interrupt!) dos games. And could leave it up while running, but it uses 50% of the screen and kind of bothersome. But it does work. If anyone's interested I might set it up some time and do a little video about it and demonstrate it. I always thought it was awfully wicked awesome.

Reply 12665 of 52920, by rick6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I must be crazy for buying this dead card but i couldn't let it pass.

IMG_20160629_140221_zpsutbqnkqj.jpg

It's another Geforce 3 ti200 128MB from Chaintech. It's my second one, my first still works, and it was my first ever video card new in the box bought with my own money (my previous and actual first video card was a Voodoo Banshee that i bought in 2000 used). My first Geforce 3 ti200 from Chaintech still has it's original box.
I couldn't let this second one pass (shown in the picture). Even thought the seller claims it's artifacting, it was only 3€ plus shipping.
Who knows, maybe i'm lucky and i can fix it like i did with a Geforce 4 ti4200 last week that was only 3€.

If i can't fix it, it's still a pretty ornament.

My 2001 gaming beast in all it's "Pentium 4 Williamate" Glory!

Reply 12666 of 52920, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A variety of SB Vibra cards for sound testing. I had remembered I had a Vibra card somewhere, but an exhaustive search of my hardware stack yesterday didn't turn one up. The closest I found was a CT3600, which isn't what I need for my tests.

So I grabbed these:

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/NRYAAOSwZ1BXcWHZ/s-l1600.jpg CT2940/CT2502 with on-board YMF289 and wavetable header
http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/LScAAOSwl8NVYNRH/s-l1600.jpg CT2960/Vibra16C with built-in CQM and wavetable header
http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/Uu8AAOSwI3RW-t-D/s-l1600.jpg CT2800/Vibra16S with OPL3 and wavetable header

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 12667 of 52920, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RacoonRider wrote:

Btw, does anybody know a program that would show battery status in pure DOS?

BATT.EXE, here:

Filename
batt.exe
File size
2.77 KiB
Downloads
82 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

One of the niftiest little tools I've ever found. Works great too!

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 12668 of 52920, by amnesia

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

In 1996 - want a TV or a PC? Well, why not combine the buy 😀

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Byp1Onynk50 … LTZWS19KWTZyRXM

Know where you came from to know where you're going

Reply 12669 of 52920, by Nvm1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Made a lucky catch:

20160625_182703_zpss7ndk5mh.jpg

Top left of the board there are three caps, the middle one clearly is replaced. Gonna test this one and will be happy if it runs as it should. 🤣

Reply 12670 of 52920, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

IMHO, take the extra time and effort to recap ALL the caps on a board. If one is bad, I'd bet my last dollar the rest are not far behind.

In other news, I broke down and bought this audio card: http://www.ebay.com/itm/142033677054
It was slowly dropping in price and once I got free shipping I jumped. I really hope it works in the machine I have. I'm wanting to do a lets play for a game or two on this mystery system once I get it 100% complete.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 12671 of 52920, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luckybob wrote:

IMHO, take the extra time and effort to recap ALL the caps on a board. If one is bad, I'd bet my last dollar the rest are not far behind.

In other news, I broke down and bought this audio card: http://www.ebay.com/itm/142033677054
It was slowly dropping in price and once I got free shipping I jumped. I really hope it works in the machine I have. I'm wanting to do a lets play for a game or two on this mystery system once I get it 100% complete.

You have an apple? That's NuBus for Macintosh... probably why the price kept dropping.

Reply 12672 of 52920, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Good luck trying to stuff that into an ISA slot. 😀

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 12673 of 52920, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, i do have several mac systems. ^.^ I kinda want to reveal it all at once. I have 1-2 other parts to get before it is ready.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 12674 of 52920, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wish I didn't get rid of my NuBus Macs back in the day. 🙁

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 12675 of 52920, by orinoko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RacoonRider wrote:

RacoonRider, yeah don't worry, I've previously owned a 70CT with Win95 on it, and I've also got another 100CT running win2k on it 🤣 I installed win98SE on this 'new' 100CT last night.

I totally agree with you on running pure DOS on this - and I might still do that. Certainly, I doubt this will be the only OS install I do on it. As it is, the 'new' 100CT has a totally dead battery, whereas my other 100CT has a half-functional battery. Ultimately, both machines are going to be gutted and a fully functional system built, with the left over parts put back together and used as a spares system.

Reply 12676 of 52920, by orinoko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keenmaster486 wrote:
BATT.EXE, here: […]
Show full quote
RacoonRider wrote:

BATT.EXE, here:

batt.exe

Awesome! Thanks for this!

Reply 12678 of 52920, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keenmaster486 wrote:
BATT.EXE, here: […]
Show full quote
RacoonRider wrote:

BATT.EXE, here:

batt.exe

Today is a lucky day! Thank you!

kithylin wrote:

I have a old compaq armada laptop that has a full-screen overlay in true mode DOS that overlays battery status over dos things, will even show on top of (and not interrupt!) dos games. And could leave it up while running, but it uses 50% of the screen and kind of bothersome. But it does work. If anyone's interested I might set it up some time and do a little video about it and demonstrate it. I always thought it was awfully wicked awesome.

Of course we would like to see that, oddware is always enjoyable 😀