VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 12841 of 52920, by FaSMaN

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For those wanting to know what the market will look like when all components run out and even the simplest of hardware is in short supply and driving up the prices , just take a look at a country that doesnt have any hardware left, you can visit http://www.valueforest.com (south African search site) the current exchange rate is $1=R15 , it will give you a good glimpse of what your market (USA or UK) will look like 5 to 10 years from now when most of the retro stuff has dried up, even a Sega Megadrive here costs an insane amount of money, simply because there arent any of them left.

Back on topic, I picked up a STB Voodoo 2 12MB from Russia while they are cheap :3 to replace the 8MB version in my V2 Sli retro rig , so both cards are now 12Mb.

voodoo2.JPG
Filename
voodoo2.JPG
File size
63.46 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 12842 of 52920, by tikoellner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I found a cheap IBM PS/1 from the link below.

It's 486sx-25 that may be upgraded to DX2, as I read.

Pretty neat condition, actually. The lady washed it for me and, based on the pictures, it seems very good:

http://olx.pl/oferta/obudowa-komputera-z-plyt … 99-IDgrB1T.html

Price was 12 USD shipped.

Reply 12844 of 52920, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PeterLI wrote:

A lot of equipment will no longer work 15 years from now. Plus demand will likely be far less as well.

I disagree, demand will be higher as a result of the hobby getting to be more popular because of places like youtube ect.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 12845 of 52920, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Don't worry, just keep 'em dead parts. Bring it to South America someday. Find a shaman and voodoo them back to 'life'. You probably wouldn't need a PSU to run your machine afterward.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 12846 of 52920, by stoof

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

To bring things back to topic -- and to show that you still can find good stuff cheap -- here's my latest purchase:

So I was browsing the Swedish ebay (tradera), and saw this (sellers picture):
GUS_Tradera1.jpg

cryptically described as "Lantronix, Servers, MSS1-T, MSS1-T2, MSS100". Hmm, what's in that ESD-bag? Being the curious cat that I am, I had to find out more.

One of the additional pictures revealed this (sellers picture again):
GUS_Tradera2.jpg

😀
No other bidders, and it's mine for ~5 EUR + ~7 EUR shipping (annoyingly, seller would not accept pickup...). It's waiting for me at the local post office, with some luck it has made it through shipping and is in working order. For those who don't know, the red card is a Gravis Ultrasound PnP, usually selling for something like 10x the money I paid.

As a bonus, I have a serial-server-thingamadingy. Maybe useful for something?

Reply 12847 of 52920, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Great bargain!

I got my GUS PnP many, many years ago from someone off the old Quest Studio website / forum. It's the only GUS I have, hopefully it will last 😀

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 12848 of 52920, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice find on that Gravis! I hope it works. I wonder if it was actually part of the serial-server-thingy, or accidentally included out of ignorance.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 12849 of 52920, by dexter311

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
archsan wrote:

Don't worry, just keep 'em dead parts. Bring it to South America someday. Find a shaman and voodoo them back to 'life'. You probably wouldn't need a PSU to run your machine afterward.

That only works on Voodoo cards though. 🤣

Reply 12850 of 52920, by stoof

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

Great bargain!

I got my GUS PnP many, many years ago from someone off the old Quest Studio website / forum. It's the only GUS I have, hopefully it will last 😀

clueless1 wrote:

Nice find on that Gravis! I hope it works. I wonder if it was actually part of the serial-server-thingy, or accidentally included out of ignorance.

Thanks! Yeah, I definitively think they did not know what it was. The seller is actually a company offering to sell stuff for others as a service; "We sell what you can't be bothered selling yourself!", http://www.sellpy.se. Probably a pretty shitty deal for whoever uses the service...
I read that stuff that isn't expected to sell is trashed, and since I seemed to be the only one who picked up what this was, maybe I just saved a GUS from being trashed. 😀

If working, this card is probably going into a 486-build I have in mind to run demos.

Reply 12851 of 52920, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
stoof wrote:
Thanks! Yeah, I definitively think they did not know what it was. The seller is actually a company offering to sell stuff for ot […]
Show full quote
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

Great bargain!

clueless1 wrote:

Thanks! Yeah, I definitively think they did not know what it was. The seller is actually a company offering to sell stuff for others as a service; "We sell what you can't be bothered selling yourself!", http://www.sellpy.se. Probably a pretty shitty deal for whoever uses the service...
I read that stuff that isn't expected to sell is trashed, and since I seemed to be the only one who picked up what this was, maybe I just saved a GUS from being trashed. 😀

If working, this card is probably going into a 486-build I have in mind to run demos.

I was under the impression that the GUS PNP cards were the cheaper ones most commonly and it's the older non-PNP cards that are most highly sought after. Something like the older ones will work with old machines under DOS without windows, and the PNP ones do not. At least that's what I was led to believe anyway, I'm probably wrong.

Still though, yes nice find. A GUS is a GUS. I think the PNP and non-PNP use the same sound core/chips? no?

Reply 12852 of 52920, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PeterLI wrote:

A lot of equipment will no longer work 15 years from now. Plus demand will likely be far less as well.

There's no logical reason to think that. Most older hardware will work 15, or 30 years from now. Especially some of the newer still will likely still be fine as well as long as they're treated well and not overclocked within an inch of their life. Some things may suffer from capacitor plague however and need to be re-capped, but replacing em with modern capacitors should result in quite a few more years of service. It's all about how we treat our gear. My older not-easy-to-replace stuff isn't overclocked, but some of my newer stuff that's still readily available online is.

Reply 12853 of 52920, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dexter311 wrote:
archsan wrote:

That only works on Voodoo cards though. 🤣

Attachments

• index.jpg
    Filename
    index.jpg
    File size
    109 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 12854 of 52920, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
stoof wrote:
To bring things back to topic -- and to show that you still can find good stuff cheap -- here's my latest purchase: […]
Show full quote

To bring things back to topic -- and to show that you still can find good stuff cheap -- here's my latest purchase:

So I was browsing the Swedish ebay (tradera), and saw this (sellers picture):
GUS_Tradera1.jpg

cryptically described as "Lantronix, Servers, MSS1-T, MSS1-T2, MSS100". Hmm, what's in that ESD-bag? Being the curious cat that I am, I had to find out more.

One of the additional pictures revealed this (sellers picture again):
GUS_Tradera2.jpg

😀
No other bidders, and it's mine for ~5 EUR + ~7 EUR shipping (annoyingly, seller would not accept pickup...). It's waiting for me at the local post office, with some luck it has made it through shipping and is in working order. For those who don't know, the red card is a Gravis Ultrasound PnP, usually selling for something like 10x the money I paid.

As a bonus, I have a serial-server-thingamadingy. Maybe useful for something?

Congrats on the GUS card. They are just too expensive normally, so great job on the purchase.
Seems as it can still be done, getting them cards at a low cost.

Reply 12857 of 52920, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
trunk70 wrote:
New Fujitsu Siemens CRT from my work. Yes it's an absolutely new screen. And absolutely free! I'm happy ;-) […]
Show full quote

New Fujitsu Siemens CRT from my work. Yes it's an absolutely new screen. And absolutely free! I'm happy 😉

52SG6Wrl.jpg

Sweet... 😜

Reply 12858 of 52920, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
archsan wrote:

Were those Volaris popular in the server market? Lots of NOS on ebay...

There are also a lot of laptop Volari cards on ebay from time to time. The only one really worth having, though, is the V8 Duo model and they seem to be about as rare as a Neon 250.

Reply 12859 of 52920, by stoof

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kithylin wrote:
stoof wrote:

*snip*

I was under the impression that the GUS PNP cards were the cheaper ones most commonly and it's the older non-PNP cards that are most highly sought after. Something like the older ones will work with old machines under DOS without windows, and the PNP ones do not. At least that's what I was led to believe anyway, I'm probably wrong.

Still though, yes nice find. A GUS is a GUS. I think the PNP and non-PNP use the same sound core/chips? no?

Correct, the non-PnP seems more sought after. Still though, the PnP is like 90 USD, according to the latest sales on ebay.

The PnP does use a different chip compared to non-PnP, with different features (right?). I'm not at all experienced with these cards, but I was hoping that the PnP would have the same compatibility as the non-PnP, for demos etc., however I don't know.