VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 13020 of 52737, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice, I have one of those also, not the greatest machines but interesting just the same

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 13021 of 52737, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A friend of mine has the same 50z model, yours looks in much better condition.

If You don't have a suitable VGA cable You can just break off the pin on a normal cable and it will work fine. My friends one had
a blown tantalum capacitor right near the power supply, I fitted a electrolytic capacitor and all good again.
I also fitted a 80287 FPU in it and had to repair the motherboard due to corroded through holes between the layers. Fitting an FPU
is a bit of a waste though as no games really make any use of it.

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 13022 of 52737, by MCGA

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Brickpad wrote:
PS/2 Mode 50Z (8550). Don't know the actual specs on it just yet until I get it. As far as I know this particular model came wit […]
Show full quote
MCGA wrote:

What's that IBM? 😲

PS/2 Mode 50Z (8550). Don't know the actual specs on it just yet until I get it. As far as I know this particular model came with a 10MHz 286. There is a card installed, but I don't know what it is.

s-l1600.jpg

Now I'm more confused. 😁

I was wondering what that card was that has the IBM chip on it and another chip that says Power 9100 on it. Is it one of the cards included in your sweet computer? 😀

Reply 13023 of 52737, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
MCGA wrote:

Now I'm more confused. 😁

I was wondering what that card was that has the IBM chip on it and another chip that says Power 9100 on it. Is it one of the cards included in your sweet computer? 😀

Ah, sorry! Wrong IBM. 😁

Imperious wrote:
A friend of mine has the same 50z model, yours looks in much better condition. […]
Show full quote

A friend of mine has the same 50z model, yours looks in much better condition.

If You don't have a suitable VGA cable You can just break off the pin on a normal cable and it will work fine. My friends one had
a blown tantalum capacitor right near the power supply, I fitted a electrolytic capacitor and all good again.
I also fitted a 80287 FPU in it and had to repair the motherboard due to corroded through holes between the layers. Fitting an FPU
is a bit of a waste though as no games really make any use of it.

Are these models plagued with exploding tantalum caps? I think uxwbill on Youtube had the same issue in the same spot. Perhaps I'll per-emptively swap them out with electrolytic caps.

Last edited by Brickpad on 2016-07-24, 03:07. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 13024 of 52737, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

$20 says it is a floppy drive interface. They connect to these bad boys: http://www.ebay.com/itm/182176990019

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 13025 of 52737, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luckybob wrote:

$20 says it is a floppy drive interface. They connect to these bad boys: http://www.ebay.com/itm/182176990019

Hmm. Why would a FDD adapter have a Weitek P9100 video chip and memory? I think it's a video card.

Aand... I see some similarities to this: http://vgamuseum.ru/gpu/weitek/weitek-power-9100/
http://www.amoretro.de/2012/02/weitek-power-9 … b-vram-pci.html

The "IBM" part is probably just a sticker placed on a RAMDAC chip or some such.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 13026 of 52737, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

10 Euro car boot sale haul:

Anyone familiar with this brand? I'm not too comfortable with old PSUs and wouldn't use it if it was from some dodgy manufacturer.

CAM00007.jpg
Filename
CAM00007.jpg
File size
2.61 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

300MHz PII Deschutes. Already have a 300Mhz Klamath, however this one is much more friendly with modern, weak 5V rail PSUs with only 20W TDP, while the Klamath is 43W.

CAM00005.jpg
Filename
CAM00005.jpg
File size
2.14 MiB
Views
File license

DFI P2XLX motherboard, i440 LX chipset + mystery ammount of RAM. Looks I'm going to have to hunt down a bios chip. Never had to replace a bios chip before, could anyone give some advise on what type I need? The manual says it uses award bios.

CPU support isn't that great it seems, but Im not planning to use more than the P2 I got with it anyway.

CAM00006.jpg
Filename
CAM00006.jpg
File size
3.83 MiB
Views
File license

Last, but certainly not least, a Turtle beach Aureal Vortex card! Going to test it out with Half-life and Unreal once I have it all set up.

CAM00008.jpg
Filename
CAM00008.jpg
File size
3.2 MiB
Views
File license
Last edited by Munx on 2016-07-24, 09:20. Edited 1 time in total.

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 13027 of 52737, by Solarstorm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Korg 05R/W
Gallery: http://imgur.com/a/EdXQY
JPTaFoSl.jpg
Front
4FmFvFml.jpg
Back
qRgSgZrl.jpg
Inside
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKpZRTDLJpM
Demo song

My YouTube Channel

Reply 13028 of 52737, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MCGA wrote:

What's that IBM? 😲

Ok, you seem to have caused a lot of confusion with that comment 🤣 That IBM chip in the graphics card is probably just a RAMDAC which converts the digital graphics output (provided by the other large chip) to analog so it can be used with a VGA monitor. It's quite common to have a separate RAMDAC chip on graphics cards prior to 1995.

The Weitek graphics chips are known for great Windows GUI performance, but bad DOS performance and compatibility, mainly because they didn't actually have DOS compatibility at all and had to resort to a secondary chip dedicated to DOS only. This particular P9100 board doesn't have that secondary DOS only chip so it seems they finally were able to add DOS compatibility, but I have no idea how good it is.

Reply 13029 of 52737, by FuzzyLogic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chose007 wrote:
http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz23/prospekty7/hwnet5/DSCF3537_resize_zpsc4kbo1oy.jpg […]
Show full quote

DSCF3537_resize_zpsc4kbo1oy.jpg

So many nice cards in there, but this one is really interesting. An SCSI/soundcard combo. At first I thought it was PCI-X, but it didn't look right. Plus it has a Vibra 16 chip and that's ISA.

Reply 13030 of 52737, by Scraphoarder

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
FuzzyLogic wrote:
chose007 wrote:
http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz23/prospekty7/hwnet5/DSCF3537_resize_zpsc4kbo1oy.jpg […]
Show full quote

DSCF3537_resize_zpsc4kbo1oy.jpg

So many nice cards in there, but this one is really interesting. An SCSI/soundcard combo. At first I thought it was PCI-X, but it didn't look right. Plus it has a Vibra 16 chip and that's ISA.

A card for the ASUS Media Bus. Interesting, but somewhat limited by motherboard options. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asus_Media_Bus

Reply 13031 of 52737, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Interesting, too bad it's missing the OPL3 chip. But of course it's a Vibra 16c, so it has its own CQM inside which explains the missing chip.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 13035 of 52737, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think the card is rev. 1.2 and the motherboard rev 2.0 which means they may not be compatible.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 13036 of 52737, by tikoellner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not a big deal, but I just bought a complete set of installation disks for my GUS Classic - really happy to have them. Paid 3 USD shipped.

6365755892_zpshdmcv9ul.jpg

Four installation disks and two bounus disks.

It will make the use of my GUS even more pleasant.

Reply 13037 of 52737, by chose007

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
stamasd wrote:

I think the card is rev. 1.2 and the motherboard rev 2.0 which means they may not be compatible.

Yep maybe you right, I have more Asus mbs in my storage with this slot ... no problem grab right MB than this rare card, I saw it first time for sell.

Calibri-90-YT-banner-resize.jpg * Calibri-90-resize-resize.jpg

Reply 13038 of 52737, by mrau

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
stamasd wrote:

wiki says revisions are generally incompatible if my engrish is english enough

Reply 13039 of 52737, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mrau wrote:
stamasd wrote:

wiki says revisions are generally incompatible if my engrish is english enough

Which is exactly what I said. May not be compatible = are probably incompatible.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O