VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 13360 of 52811, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Today I paid another visit to the person who sold me a lot of motherboards last month. Came back with the following:

8 complete systems including an IBM PS/2 (sorry for the rubbish picture taken in an underground car park)
n7qZPG4l.jpg

Back of the IBM PS/2, model 8565
MdsNsRBl.jpg

a few CPUs, lots of ICs and RAM
m0p4vzml.jpg?1

unknown memory thingy (was not interested but seller wanted to get rid of it so he gave it away)
Hfw50udl.jpg?1

boxed "NOS" miro magic VGA card
idYm6Gfl.jpg?1

boxed "NOS" miro crystal Vision964 VLB card
FcagOXCl.jpg?1

Creative CT6670 Voodoo2 (looks new)
1I7WlXVl.jpg?1

IBM mechanical keyboard
MuJaKzHl.jpg?1

2 serial mice and 1 PS/2 mouse
fyzHhk9l.jpg

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 13362 of 52811, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keenerb wrote:

Picked up a NIB Boca IO 2 by 4

I picked up a NIB bocca 2x ser/lpt from probably the same guy. I thought for like $4, I can stick com/printer ports into my xi8088 build! 😀

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 13363 of 52811, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
einr wrote:
Thanks for the quick and knowledgeable reply! :cool: […]
Show full quote
kixs wrote:

S3 ones are 805 1MB. Upper Cirrus Logic is missing BIOS chip. Bottom one is I/O + VGA combo. Models can't be seen but I'd guess 5426 or 5428. All are 1MB.

Thanks for the quick and knowledgeable reply! 😎

I feel like if I squint the lower CL chip reads 5430, but I'm not sure.

Combined I/O and VGA, that's cool! That means I can replace my ISA I/O card, too!

Would the S3 cards be faster than the CL cards?

You might be correct... it looks like 5430.

S3 805 is in a class of 5426-5429. 5430 might be faster in Windows.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 13364 of 52811, by einr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kixs wrote:
einr wrote:
Thanks for the quick and knowledgeable reply! :cool: […]
Show full quote
kixs wrote:

S3 ones are 805 1MB. Upper Cirrus Logic is missing BIOS chip. Bottom one is I/O + VGA combo. Models can't be seen but I'd guess 5426 or 5428. All are 1MB.

Thanks for the quick and knowledgeable reply! 😎

I feel like if I squint the lower CL chip reads 5430, but I'm not sure.

Combined I/O and VGA, that's cool! That means I can replace my ISA I/O card, too!

Would the S3 cards be faster than the CL cards?

You might be correct... it looks like 5430.

S3 805 is in a class of 5426-5429. 5430 might be faster in Windows.

Nice, thanks. Before even receiving or trying out the cards, then, I'm heavily leaning towards using the combo CL card. I'll have to see if they all work (probably the one with the missing BIOS won't, hehe) and so forth but it would be fast enough and really useful to have all this stuff in a single VLB slot.

On topic, nothing much to brag about, but I'm rapidly expanding the MULTIMEDIA CAPABILITIES of this new 486 build. Found this Saitek gameport joypad for ~€1 at a flea market. I think it's 1995-ish. Had a quick go at Jazz Jackrabbit with it and it's a solid controller. No creaky plastic, comfortable to use if you remove that stupid screw-in joystick. It's Gravis Gamepad compatible -- in fact it even has the same color buttons in the same places and they are exactly the same dimensions and laid out the same to the millimeter. Pretty cool!

pad.jpg
Filename
pad.jpg
File size
102.56 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 13365 of 52811, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keenmaster486 wrote:

Wow! Excellent haul, sir! Did that person advertise on Craigslist or what?

Thanks. Basically the local equivalent of Craigslist - the person advertised a monitor there a few months ago and when I went to pick it up, he told me he used to work in computer sales / repairs in the '80s and '90s and bought stuff at auctions with the intent of reselling it later, but he got sick and never did. His tiny flat is basically Ali Baba's cave - he has many more systems and I might visit him again later this year to buy more 😎

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 13367 of 52811, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
MMaximus wrote:
Today I paid another visit to the person who sold me a lot of motherboards last month. Came back with the following: […]
Show full quote

Today I paid another visit to the person who sold me a lot of motherboards last month. Came back with the following:

8 complete systems including an IBM PS/2 (sorry for the rubbish picture taken in an underground car park)
n7qZPG4l.jpg

Back of the IBM PS/2, model 8565
MdsNsRBl.jpg

Jealous here! I've been wanting to get my hands on one of those IBM servers for a while now, but they either can't be found, or sellers are asking ridiculous prices - one of which is going for $2,000US.

Reply 13369 of 52811, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

DonutKing sent me a box of retro parts for cheap 😊

Here my commute / shopping mule 🤣

Australia post package at the front.

TXHHiw5h.jpg

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 13370 of 52811, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PhilsComputerLab wrote:
DonutKing sent me a box of retro parts for cheap :blush: […]
Show full quote

DonutKing sent me a box of retro parts for cheap 😊

Here my commute / shopping mule 🤣

Australia post package at the front.

TXHHiw5h.jpg

Nice Australian-style bike. It even has the pouch in the front as it should. 😁

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 13371 of 52811, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Brickpad wrote:
MMaximus wrote:

Jealous here! I've been wanting to get my hands on one of those IBM servers for a while now, but they either can't be found, or sellers are asking ridiculous prices - one of which is going for $2,000US.

Really?! I was offered one of these for free 5 years ago, but the thing weighs a ton so I didn't bother with it. 😲

Reply 13373 of 52811, by Scraphoarder

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Brickpad wrote:

Maybe your lucky day? Just hunt down the missing parts.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/IBM-PS-2-Model-80-858 … =item1eb68d044d

Reply 13374 of 52811, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Scraphoarder wrote:
Brickpad wrote:

Maybe your lucky day? Just hunt down the missing parts.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/IBM-PS-2-Model-80-858 … =item1eb68d044d

Thanks! Unfortunately the seller does not ship to the US. Also, I searched that very model and that listing does not come up. It must have something to do with shipping.

sf78 wrote:

Really?! I was offered one of these for free 5 years ago, but the thing weighs a ton so I didn't bother with it. 😲

Yup. The listing is right here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/IBM-PS-2-9585-Tower-4 … aUAAOSwAvJW~FkQ

I personally think they're out of their minds. Sure, it comes with the 5.25" and CD-ROM drive, but there's no way one can justify that kind of price tag.

Reply 13375 of 52811, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Brickpad wrote:

I don't know anything about these systems, but I like the look and the sturdiness of this tower. The weight is actually written underneath the carrying handle - 18kgs! Built to last I guess. I just opened it briefly, I've never seen a motherboard or a PSU this large before. Also there are lots of expansion cards and I am not really sure what they are. I'll be able to investigate further and maybe give it a good clean next month.

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 13376 of 52811, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The early IBM PS/2 Model 60/65/80 are nice towers. They use a camera type battery for CMOS that hold configuration information like EISA does. One issue id black weatherstripping inside the machine on the door turns to goo.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 13377 of 52811, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

NOS Gigabyte i-ram! I saw it in the background of a book on ebay so I asked the seller and bam, $5! Guess I need to work on parts for a newer build than my 8088+486.. got 4x 1gb sticks coming to fill it out. Battery is probably toast but I dont care about that.

Tn4zNnAh.jpg

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 13378 of 52811, by CelGen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

IMG_5619.jpg

These three bundles of coax are the first step towards building a 10BASE5 network. Next up is sourcing the Vampire Taps.

emot-science.gif "It's science. I ain't gotta explain sh*t" emot-girl.gif

Reply 13379 of 52811, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
BloodyCactus wrote:

NOS Gigabyte i-ram! I saw it in the background of a book on ebay so I asked the seller and bam, $5! Guess I need to work on parts for a newer build than my 8088+486.. got 4x 1gb sticks coming to fill it out. Battery is probably toast but I dont care about that.

Nice find!

I got this ASUS PC-DL Deluxe for 35$ shipped today! Was the only bidder. It comes with 2 3.06ghx xeons. Not sure exactly what kind of Xeons they are but I'll be using dual 533sfb 3.2ghx 2m xeon's

image.jpeg

It even lets you oc the cpu's.