Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 13580 of 52803, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

A computer shop in Australia was selling a bunch of graphics card. They were new, and very good price. When they arrived, the box was massive. Turns out they are all NIB!

3x GTX 250 with 1 GB.

Thanks for the Tip Phil, now I've bought 3 more video cards I don't need, but want nevertheless 😀

7950GT. 6800 Ultra, GTS 250 1gb. All Pci-express , each card $19.95

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 13581 of 52803, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Imperious wrote:

7950GT. 6800 Ultra, GTS 250 1gb. All Pci-express , each card $19.95

I know! At those prices, how can one resist 😀

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 13582 of 52803, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

3 Pentium motherboards with processors (one with a Dallas RTC)
2 ISA soundcards
1 ISA NIC
2 S3 chip PCI video cards
1 Tseng Labs PCI video card
1 Creative PCI sound card
1 Dell ATX 250 watt PSU that weighs a boatload (not pictured)

Attachments

• IMG_3596[2].JPG
    Filename
    IMG_3596[2].JPG
    File size
    3.23 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 13583 of 52803, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The Asus motherboard with the Virge DX will be an excellent base for a DOS machine.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 13584 of 52803, by Paadam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yesterday scored some nice retro stuff, most notably three dual boards: Intel STL2 dual soc370 board with 1GHz PIII, Intel L440GX+ dual slot 1 and IBM Intellistation version of Intel OR840 with 1 GB RIMM memory. Also got Club3D 7600GT AGP card.
With boards I got a pair of nice 24pin power supplys and one of my favourites: Aopen HX08 case. Not decided yet whether it will house the STL2 board or OR840 (depends which I will get the 1.4 GHz PIII-S to work, I have Asus S370-DL and MS6905 Master for getting dual to work properly with N33 mod).

Attachments

• IMG_3426.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_3426.JPG
    File size
    151.64 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_3420.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_3420.JPG
    File size
    315.63 KiB
    Views
    File license

Many 3Dfx and Pentium III-S stuff.
My amibay FS thread: www.amibay.com/showthread.php?88030-Man ... -370-dual)

Reply 13585 of 52803, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:

The Asus motherboard with the Virge DX will be an excellent base for a DOS machine.

It is funny - I recently switched to a Virge DX from a Matrox Millennium a few weeks ago after performing the opposite switch years back due to artifacting on the Diamond version of the Virge DX. I missed Commander Keen, switched back via buying a new one on *eBay*, and now seem to be just finding Virge DX board everywhere.

After acquiring nearly 20 video cards the last couple of weeks, I have thought about running DOS benchmarks/testing on them just for kicks. One thing I noticed was that the ATI Mach64 in my test bench seems to run Commander Keen "fine" (vs the Matrox Millennium) with SVGA compatibility and screen jerkiness fix turned on. This would seem to contradict the DOS_TESTS page, but perhaps I need to give it more testing time. The Millennium issues on the other hand are immediately present and extremely distracting.

Wondering if one of these cards can provide the same compatibility but with a little extra oomph when it comes to DOS gaming.

Either way - that Virge DX I just acquired probably has more RAM than the one in my current Pentium machine.

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 13586 of 52803, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
oeuvre wrote:
Got a P4 system on craigslist for $20 today... I was more interested in the case and everything else except for the P4 and the m […]
Show full quote

Got a P4 system on craigslist for $20 today... I was more interested in the case and everything else except for the P4 and the mobo. Here are some pictures...

The case is an Antec SX1080 and it came with a 430W PSU. Seems to work fine.

http://imgur.com/a/6CeHC

The motherboard (which I don't particularly have a use for, I don't really like P4 systems)

http://imgur.com/a/Mmyd7

The gfx card is an ATI All In Wonder of some sort.

http://imgur.com/a/iTx0r

Motherboard with CPU is an ASUS P4P800 Deluxe with a 3.0 Ghz Northwood P4

Videocard is likely an All in Wonder 9600 Pro (Radeon 9600 based)

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems

Reply 13587 of 52803, by FuzzyLogic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Paadam wrote:

Yesterday scored some nice retro stuff, most notably three dual boards: Intel STL2 dual soc370 board with 1GHz PIII, Intel L440GX+ dual slot 1 and IBM Intellistation version of Intel OR840 with 1 GB RIMM memory. Also got Club3D 7600GT AGP card.
With boards I got a pair of nice 24pin power supplys and one of my favourites: Aopen HX08 case. Not decided yet whether it will house the STL2 board or OR840 (depends which I will get the 1.4 GHz PIII-S to work, I have Asus S370-DL and MS6905 Master for getting dual to work properly with N33 mod).

Great stuff. Especially that case; they don't make heavy gauge steel cases like that anymore. I still have an HX08 that bought it in Y2k or so. Right now mine has a Tyan Dual 1Ghz P3 Coppermine in it. I also have its little brother the HX45. <3 AOpen.

Reply 13589 of 52803, by Paadam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Carlos S. M. wrote:

Motherboard with CPU is an ASUS P4P800 Deluxe with a 3.0 Ghz Northwood P4

Videocard is likely an All in Wonder 9600 Pro (Radeon 9600 based)

You can put Asus CT479 adapter there with some Pentium M Dothan, it will run easily at 2.4-2.6 GHz and kick all of the P4's ass. I have CT-479 if someone wants to buy.

Reply 13591 of 52803, by Logistics

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
oeuvre wrote:

Apparently the 3GHz P4 SL7BK supports HT. Nice!

I suppose others could have different experiences, but my P4 640 Prescott with HT, always ran like crud with HT enabled. The day I tried running the system with no HT, I never turned back because it was such a significant difference. I've noticed on several older single-core P4's with HT that Win7 would have a stutter with HT enabled, and mine was no exception.

Reply 13592 of 52803, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Logistics wrote:
oeuvre wrote:

I suppose others could have different experiences, but my P4 640 Prescott with HT, always ran like crud with HT enabled. The day I tried running the system with no HT, I never turned back because it was such a significant difference. I've noticed on several older single-core P4's with HT that Win7 would have a stutter with HT enabled, and mine was no exception.

I've noticed this too. It seems to only affect single-core HT enabled CPUs under newer operating systems, as the Pentium D seems to run win 8.1 fine with HT enabled - until you throw chrome at it...

Reply 13593 of 52803, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mongaccio wrote:
Nice portable, Deksor! […]
Show full quote

Nice portable, Deksor!

I have recently bought at a flea market this 286. 40eur with its original carrying bag.
Probably a bit too much , but it is rare to see old pc's in flea markets in my country, you mostly see classy and antique furniture and non-electronic stuff, so i decided to buy it!
It's a Lemon! Nice sounding name here in Italy, the brand started by cloning the ...Apple... 2 hardware, then they decided to enter in the ibm pc clone market.
Not a good name for an English PC i've heard 😀
Has 1 mb ram and a 20 mb Miniscribe hard drive (with ide connector.. i wonder if it's really ide tho)
Floppy drive works. Here's the test with dos 6

lemon.jpg

Battery is dead (both the 12v power supply battery and the 3.6v clock ) I'll have to replace both. There's also the tiny internal fan in need of replacement.
Hard disk is KO, i've tried to replace it with a CF with no success, BIOS is really barebone you can't modify hard drive specs (strangely enough detects a 20 mb hard drive even if it's disconnected)
There's also 2 ISA expansion slots. 8 and 16 bit. I wonder if i can put a 2nd controller in it and finally use some CF as hard drive. I'm quite sure that the BIOS won't allow me that.
Good lord i really need a service manual for this pc.

Same story for my Toshiba, I tried to put a 200MB HDD coming from another Toshiba (the T1910 model), but it didn't detect it at all ...

I managed to repair the HDD by opening it and then I unscrewed the magnet that makes the head moving, put it back, then unscrewed the head until it could move freely and then re screwed it and oddly it made the heads to unstuck. There was also another problem after that, when the head are stopping, they're going somewhere to avoid damaging the disks ... Well this was done with a magnet, except that a plastic part was gone and so the heads were also stuck to that small magnet and they couldn't move freely without a little help to unstuck themselves.

I know, the disk will probably damage itself now that I opened it, but at least I can use it for a little bit longer

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 13594 of 52803, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kanecvr wrote:
Logistics wrote:
oeuvre wrote:

I've noticed this too. It seems to only affect single-core HT enabled CPUs under newer operating systems, as the Pentium D seems to run win 8.1 fine with HT enabled - until you throw chrome at it...

none of the Pentium Ds has HT except for the for the Extreme Edition models (840 EE, 955 EE and 965 EE), all Pentium Ds are dual core (2C/2T for regular models and 2C/4T on extreme edition models)

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems

Reply 13595 of 52803, by Paadam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Pentium M wipes the floor with Pentium 4, at least when it comes to gaming performance: http://techreport.com/review/8585/asus-ct-479 … ocket-adapter/5
Not to mention it doesn't turn your computer into furnace like P4 does, hehe 😀

Reply 13596 of 52803, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Paadam wrote:

Pentium M wipes the floor with Pentium 4, at least when it comes to gaming performance: http://techreport.com/review/8585/asus-ct-479 … ocket-adapter/5
Not to mention it doesn't turn your computer into furnace like P4 does, hehe 😀

Hey, some people actually count on that in the winter. 😉

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 13597 of 52803, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Bought a Voodoo1 and a Voodoo3-2000 PCI. I have a couple of V3 already but they're both AGP. Now I will finally be able to put a V3 in that socket7 build I had been planning.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 13598 of 52803, by Paadam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
stamasd wrote:

Bought a Voodoo1 and a Voodoo3-2000 PCI. I have a couple of V3 already but they're both AGP. Now I will finally be able to put a V3 in that socket7 build I had been planning.

I had V3 2000 PCI in my 233 MMX box but it isn't very fast there, needs better CPU to utilise its potential. Looking for Banshee PCI or V3 1000 PCI for that.

Reply 13599 of 52803, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ah yes, that one time every 3 months i make a big purchase. That day has arrived. Scored 5 new cards to add to the collection (Images have usernames removed as those are the timestamps i was shown)

1.) an ASUS FX5950 Ultra with an Arctic Cooling NV4 Silencer (Replacing my Dimension 4600's Ti4200, assuming it doesnt blow out the piece of shit 250w dell PSU, with 72w TDP it shouldnt, but that assumes the Dell PSU actually outputs the 250w its rated for. Definitaly the best part of this whole deal. Aren't these cards the holy grail around here?)
2.) an S3 Savage2000 (a Diamond Viper II unless I'm mistaken, Driver CD included))
3.) an S3 Savage4 (Not sure what model. Supposedly has a 142MHZ core but that tells me nothing)
4.) an S3 ViRGE/DX (PCI, No idea what I'll do with it. Too slow for just about anything. Famed "Decellerator" card". Oddly enough the manual was included with it)
5.) an ATI RAGE 128 (Not Pictured, was a throw in with the other 4 cards. I don't really know enough about ATI Cards to say what im going to do with it yet)

Ke1rZogl.jpg

Jumuj4al.jpg

Paid 40USD shipped for everything. Not a bad deal but im sure alot of you think I overpaid.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction