Topic actions

Reply 13940 of 52680, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
clueless1 wrote:
brostenen wrote:

Personally, I prefer CL cards in MS-Dos 6.22. They give (to me) a more pleasant image.

I noticed that too. My two DOS computers share the same monitor via KVM switch. The DX2-66 has a CL-GD5428 VLB and the POD200 has a TNT2 M64 PCI. If I load the same game on both and switch back and forth, the CL is brighter with warmer, richer colors.

Yup.... The right CL card is by far the most awesomme Dos card in my book. Things look better and some CL cards are 100℅ compatible. Going for Win9x is a different ballgame though.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 13941 of 52680, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

Are working 8800GTX THAT hard to find? I got my XFX 8800GTX off ebay for 25 bucks late last year. I also got a 9800GX2 for 25 but i broke it trying to remove the IO shield (Which required disassembling that retarded box cooler they put on the damn thing). I probably just messed up a capacitor. I need to get around to fixing that 🤣. My 8800GTX sometimes boots to a bunch of red lines but pulling the card and reinserting it always fix's it. I ran it as my HTPC's GPU for about 6 months i think. Played Just Cause 2 quite well.

Yeah, a working 8800GTX is very hard to find. They didn't sell that well in Romania (the GTS and GT versions however sold a lot) and the ones I do come across are either defective or have been re-flowed and overheat then artifact. I did find lots on ebay, but since these are hot cards they don't usually last very long. Heat, coupled with mediocre cooling and crappy RoHS lead-free solder used to make these cards makes it hard for me to trust a seller that claims the card is working perfectly. That and the 20-50$ shipping makes ebay a no-go for me.

Reply 13943 of 52680, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
brostenen wrote:
clueless1 wrote:
brostenen wrote:

Personally, I prefer CL cards in MS-Dos 6.22. They give (to me) a more pleasant image.

I noticed that too. My two DOS computers share the same monitor via KVM switch. The DX2-66 has a CL-GD5428 VLB and the POD200 has a TNT2 M64 PCI. If I load the same game on both and switch back and forth, the CL is brighter with warmer, richer colors.

Yup.... The right CL card is by far the most awesomme Dos card in my book. Things look better and some CL cards are 100℅ compatible. Going for Win9x is a different ballgame though.

...and I thought Tseng Labs ET4000 is the best DOS video card. Never thought Cirrus Logic has better image quality.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 13944 of 52680, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

...and I thought Tseng Labs ET4000 is the best DOS video card. Never thought Cirrus Logic has better image quality.

I've done testing before, the Cirrus Logic cards are the slowest piece of turd crap I've ever seen in dos. I don't care how good they look or don't look, they're just insanely slow. And in general Cirrus-Logic cards are pretty much considered the "bottom of the barrel" junk cards. I've thrown away many working CL ISA cards in the past when I was younger because of how crappy they are.

Reply 13945 of 52680, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kithylin wrote:

I've done testing before, the Cirrus Logic cards are the slowest piece of turd crap I've ever seen in dos. I don't care how good they look or don't look, they're just insanely slow. And in general Cirrus-Logic cards are pretty much considered the "bottom of the barrel" junk cards. I've thrown away many working CL ISA cards in the past when I was younger because of how crappy they are.

Haven't you seen Phil's recent 486 videos? He benches a bunch of VLB and ISA cards and the CL VLB cards do quite well. Or are you just talking about ISA CL cards?

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 13946 of 52680, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Promise EIDE4030Plus VLB

IMG_3640.JPG
Filename
IMG_3640.JPG
File size
1.39 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Diamond Viper VLB

IMG_3641.JPG
Filename
IMG_3641.JPG
File size
1.89 MiB
Views
File license

Four sound cards

IMG_3642.JPG
Filename
IMG_3642.JPG
File size
2.05 MiB
Views
File license

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 13947 of 52680, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Stuff I picked up from the post office yesterday:

dscn2280-2_orig.jpg

dscn2282-1_1_orig.jpg

dscn2284-1_1_orig.jpg

No retro, but will be used for retro projects 😀

dscn2286-1_1_orig.jpg

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 13948 of 52680, by chose007

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Last months luck about professional vgas so I made photo together.

Spea Fire ISA
IBM GXT6500 PCI 64b
IBM GXT4500 PCI 64b
HP Visualize FX5 PCI 64b
HP Visualize FX10 PCI 64b
HP Visualize FX5 AGP
2x MATROX Parhelia 256MB PCI 64b

DSCF4139_resize_zpsutc8uju2.jpg

DSCF4141_resize_zpskil2irjy.jpg

DSCF4142_resize_zpsntpqjjyk.jpg

DSCF4143_resize_zpsokg3nmh6.jpg

DSCF4146_resize_zpsexn6dje7.jpg

DSCF4145_resize_zps9xs7vled.jpg

Actually trying get back to work Spea but seriosly - its playing with me. Problem find working setup, no drivers, almost no informations so will see. Card looks ok, cpus heating.
Any informations are welcome.

DSCF4177_resize_zpsvrqos24e.jpg

DSCF4173_resize_zpseqg0qw7l.jpg

Calibri-90-YT-banner-resize.jpg * Calibri-90-resize-resize.jpg

Reply 13949 of 52680, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
CkRtech wrote:

Promise EIDE4030Plus VLB

I own the original box and (I think) software for it (somewhere). If you really need it let me know, I might could drag the box down out of the attic and scan in the original manual for you.

Reply 13950 of 52680, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Holy Snapple, kithylin. PM on the way...

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 13951 of 52680, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kithylin wrote:

No. The CL 5242 ISA is just trailing the ET4000AX with the WDC Paradise in the lead. That coupled with the fact that CL cards don't display those annoying vertical lines on LCD monitors makes them very desirable cards for some of us. I've got the benchmarks to prove it.

I am talking of course about this thing:

dgKvMR2l.jpg

The PCI variants are also great. All the compatibility of the S3 trio with better output quality.

Reply 13952 of 52680, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^^ I got a CL 5446 this week and on a 486 it's right up there with the Trio 64V+ and ET6000.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 13956 of 52680, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Jealous, mwdmeyer!

Reply 13957 of 52680, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It seems to be my old card. By the looks it's on a trip around the globe.

CkRtech wrote:

Jealous, mwdmeyer!

Don't be. There are more out there. 😀

Reply 13958 of 52680, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Went back to the guy I visited last week for this. I was all set to leave it for someone else to deal with; I need another old Mac like I need a hole in my head, but... damnit, it's an SE/30. A.k.a. the best compact 68k Mac evar made. Arguably. When the hell am I ever going to get another shot at one of these? Never.

se30.jpg
Filename
se30.jpg
File size
126.49 KiB
Views
File license
se30-2.jpg
Filename
se30-2.jpg
File size
161.28 KiB
Views
File license

It's a resto project, but that's fine. I haven't tried to power it up yet. It's complete, and looks to be in decent shape, although I'm expecting every cap inside the thing to have popped and all the spinning media to have long seized up. I think I have enough spares to get it going. Grabbed a second mouse & another ADB keyboard with it too. The dude had a bunch of them, so why not? He also had some VERY tidy looking iMac G3s, but I already had one of those and literally didn't have anything for it to do. 😜

And yeah the Apple II 5.25" floppy doesn't go with it, but it looks cool sitting there. It was gonna end up in the bin otherwise. There's a disk in it but it's jammed in so I haven't figured out what it is yet.

(I already had the G4 Cube as previously mentioned. It's also in the shot because it looks cool.)

hd1.jpg
Filename
hd1.jpg
File size
124.31 KiB
Views
File license
hd2.jpg
Filename
hd2.jpg
File size
128.96 KiB
Views
File license

I also nabbed this surprisingly well regarded component->VGA upscaler at a thrift shop for cheap. Because I'm a dope I got it in my head that it handles composite video; it does not. I don't own component cables for any of my consoles. Oh well, eventually.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 13959 of 52680, by rein_ein

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Picked some 8bit goodies

i/o controller

ytvZSPQl.jpg

qQaDPNpl.jpg

some kind of video card or as internets says "monitor output card" with serial,few of mine mobos didn't posts with it

Zgp6o5xl.jpg

zbwGy6ml.jpg

8Sc7A7el.jpg

it have AMD N80C188 and also Zilog Z85C3008VSC

3x5uzq-5.png
4sv43l-5.png