Topic actions

Reply 13980 of 52842, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

Guys I got a bit lucky 😀

On an Aussie forum someone linked an Asus VL/I-486SV2GX4 on eBay Australia. The price was decent, 60 Aussie dollars, so I bought it straight away!

I hope it all works out, but hopefully I got a decent VLB 486 board soon. There is good information and documentation from our VOGONS members about this board, so it should be good.

Nice!

Now get your POD, OC it to 100mhz, install 1024kb cache and get a S3 or ET4000p VLB card to let it beat anything else! 😁

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 13981 of 52842, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vetz wrote:
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

Guys I got a bit lucky 😀

On an Aussie forum someone linked an Asus VL/I-486SV2GX4 on eBay Australia. The price was decent, 60 Aussie dollars, so I bought it straight away!

I hope it all works out, but hopefully I got a decent VLB 486 board soon. There is good information and documentation from our VOGONS members about this board, so it should be good.

Nice!

Now get your POD, OC it to 100mhz, install 1024kb cache and get a S3 or ET4000p VLB card to let it beat anything else! 😁

I like your thinking 😁

I have the chips for 512 KB Cache, but got to get some more. I also got a S3 VLB now, a Diamond branded one. I'm confident that all the cards will do better than the Biostar machine I was using.

Ordered some EEPROM chips as well. I must say it pays off to quickly run a VOGONS search on something you are considering buying, the time and effort our members put in to document everything is terrific.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 13982 of 52842, by rein_ein

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

All thanks for reply about weird controller,but so far i *already* traded it together with few vlb video cards and some of isa sound for one weird mobo

gonna post pics bit later when i find perfectly matched cpu,no spoilers 😜

3x5uzq-5.png
4sv43l-5.png

Reply 13983 of 52842, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

FINALLY!!!!

Got my 3DFX Voodoo4 4500 MAC (EU) PCI - aka "VoodooMAC" - this one's really rare! 😎 😎 😎

Fn2fWW.jpg
D4QVkm.jpg

And after a long wait, finally got my custom-made Voodoo5 6000 replica box to go with my V5-6000 3700 Rev. A! 😎 😎 😎

j1ywlf.jpg
AhIcHg.jpg
ohYgCP.jpg
bYFtBd.jpg
SqqHzJ.jpg
Lik8GR.jpg
PHEeoZ.jpg
eJrsXF.jpg
PkqWTS.jpg
7BbURJ.jpg

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 13985 of 52842, by melbar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wow !!!

Boxes like this V5 6000 are really, really rare... also to see sometimes in the internet...

#1 K6-2/500, #2 Athlon1200, #3 Celeron1000A, #4 A64-3700, #5 P4HT-3200, #6 P4-2800, #7 Am486DX2-66

Reply 13986 of 52842, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Really cool 😀 How does one get a custom-made replica box? I'm guessing it's not as valuable as a genuine one, is there any marking on it to indicate it's a replica? Just curious if they do that to prevent someone from trying to sell it as genuine. At any rate, that will look great in your collection. 😉

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 13989 of 52842, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kanecvr wrote:

I recently made V5 6000 and V5 5500 themed wallpapers using that exact boxart 😀

Yea saw that also 😀

Reply 13990 of 52842, by nemail

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

Guys I got a bit lucky 😀

Congrats! I got mine recently with a bit of luck too, cost me about 30€ including Intel 486 DX4-100 &EW (Write Back Cache). 🤣
Jumpers are a bit pain in the a**, even with the manual. If you have any questions or troubles, feel free to ask me when you got it.

I've successfully managed to get mine running perfectly eventually.

How is it, that of all, the VL/I-486SV2GX4 is popping out of nowhere everywhere? "Seen" at least four of them, recently.

Reply 13991 of 52842, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This arrived today. The latest addition to my ISA cards with wavetable collection. I'll be unsealing it and using it.

P1120478.JPG
Filename
P1120478.JPG
File size
901.83 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 13992 of 52842, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
nemail wrote:
Congrats! I got mine recently with a bit of luck too, cost me about 30€ including Intel 486 DX4-100 &EW (Write Back Cache). :lo […]
Show full quote
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

Guys I got a bit lucky 😀

Congrats! I got mine recently with a bit of luck too, cost me about 30€ including Intel 486 DX4-100 &EW (Write Back Cache). 🤣
Jumpers are a bit pain in the a**, even with the manual. If you have any questions or troubles, feel free to ask me when you got it.

How is it, that of all, the VL/I-486SV2GX4 is popping out of nowhere everywhere? "Seen" at least four of them, recently.

Nice!

I'll get in touch if I got any issues. 486 boards are always a jumper minefield 😊

Reply 13993 of 52842, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

Great stuff Artex 😀

The custom boxes are pretty slick.

Thanks all! As you can tell - I'm very excited about these as they round out my collection of boxed/sealed OEM 3DFX cards! The guy that made the V5-6000 replica box actually sold me the Voodoo4 4500 PCI (EU) - VoodooMAC card as well.

To my knowledge, there never was an 'actual' 3DFX Voodoo5 6000 box in existence, so this is kind of a 'what it could have been' box. The Canadian who made this box actually made several, and this was his last one so the craftsmanship is really up there in terms of quality. The Voodoo4 4500 PCI VoodooMAC is really, really rare. I only know of one other 'in the wild', owned by the VOGONS member G1nx who has an amazing collection of retro goodies.

I had to sell a few retro midi synths and an m3D to afford these beauties, but totally worth it to finally have them in my collection.

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 13994 of 52842, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PhilsComputerLab wrote:
nemail wrote:
Congrats! I got mine recently with a bit of luck too, cost me about 30€ including Intel 486 DX4-100 &EW (Write Back Cache). :lo […]
Show full quote
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

Guys I got a bit lucky 😀

Nice!

I'll get in touch if I got any issues. 486 boards are always a jumper minefield 😊

Some not so much but there are some real scary ones like the VI15G.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 13996 of 52842, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

no specifically pc-ish but it will help debugging stuff. time to throw the crappy elenco to the bin. New Old Stock HP 545A Logic Probe with all its attachments (bnc, grabbers etc)

MY3cOFGh.jpg

vPnPpECh.jpg

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 13998 of 52842, by SaxxonPike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Got a DLink DWA552 to use on my Win2k machine. However, the YMF724 card I have refuses to operate properly while they are both connected. Doesn't matter which slots. Sound will play on boot, but the welcome sound cuts off after a second and will often play loud crackling noise after. I tried with and without PCI steering. It's a Win98SE compatible wireless N card, though, which is why I found it interesting. Oh well.

Sound device guides:
Sound Blaster
Aztech
OPL3-SA

Reply 13999 of 52842, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

2x 1Mb MDRAM Chips for Tseng ET6000 😀

Hercules Dynamite now with 4Megs for my Pentium Class Machine 😀

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board