Reply 14000 of 52976, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
matze79 wrote:

2x 1Mb MDRAM Chips for Tseng ET6000 😀

Hercules Dynamite now with 4Megs for my Pentium Class Machine 😀

I was a big Hercules fan in the mid 1990s. I remember buying most of their model line up just to benchmark them and keep the fastest one in my system. I remember having the Dynamite Pro (ET4000), Stingray (ARK2000PV), Terminator 64 (Vision 968) and more. They had great box art and for that short period of time were one of the top video card companies.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 14001 of 52976, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Regarding memory chips on graphics cards, I now make sure I buy only cards with them filled. Saves you quite some money and another shipping expense.

Looks like I'm joining the ESS AudioDrive movement 😊

And Turtle Beach Santa Cruz because ZanQuance said I must check them out 😀

dscn2337-1_orig.jpg

dscn2335-1_orig.jpg

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 14002 of 52976, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi Phil,

Take note of the MIDI emulation on the Santa Cruz. I know it's entirely subjective, but I find that for most DOS games it sounds better then even the 8MB SBLive! set. Better than DreamBlaster S1 as well. I've never experimented with the MIDI header on it, that might be something to check out too. 😀

Also curious to get your take on its 3D positional audio abilities.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 14003 of 52976, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
clueless1 wrote:

Hi Phil,

Take note of the MIDI emulation on the Santa Cruz. I know it's entirely subjective, but I find that for most DOS games it sounds better then even the 8MB SBLive! set. Better than DreamBlaster S1 as well. I've never experimented with the MIDI header on it, that might be something to check out too. 😀

Also curious to get your take on its 3D positional audio abilities.

Cool, I will check out those areas 😀

Reply 14004 of 52976, by Batyra

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

And something from me... hard to find any info on this one.

Attachments

• BATYRA_yamaha_asound.jpg
    Filename
    BATYRA_yamaha_asound.jpg
    File size
    2.87 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    Batyra's Yamaha Asound PRO
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Visit my website: http://www.collection.batyra.pl

Reply 14005 of 52976, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Batyra wrote:

And something from me... hard to find any info on this one.

Interesting. Never saw a card with the extra YMF704 chip. I think it supports both Wavetable and OPL synth although not sure about that one. The YMF719 already supports FM synth on its own so the extra chip is there probably only for crappy wavetable MIDI.

Reply 14006 of 52976, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Finally, after years of waiting... I have a decent (and working) socket 754 PCI-E board. 😀

Asus K8N4-E Deluxe
k8n-e4jaa6m.jpg

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 14008 of 52976, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
shiva2004 wrote:

The battery is from Ikea 🤣 ?

Yep. We have them here too. They don't last long, but hey, they are cheap.

Last edited by sprcorreia on 2016-10-05, 00:37. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 14009 of 52976, by rkrenicki

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My MT-32 finally showed up from Japan today. I am waiting for a few more parts to arrive, and I will have both of my retro gaming setups ready to go.

3541C0CD-8B4E-408E-AE51-940A07464C2B.jpg

Reply 14010 of 52976, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sprcorreia wrote:
shiva2004 wrote:

The battery is from Ikea 🤣 ?

Yep. He have them here too. They don't last long, but hey, they are cheap.

We have IKEA batteries here too 🤣

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems

Reply 14011 of 52976, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ikea furnitures are a bit like chinese capazitors. Cheap and will not last long. 🤣

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 14012 of 52976, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Another Tseng ET4000, this time VLB.

s-l800.jpg

It appears to be this one: http://arvutimuuseum.ee/th99/v/A-B/50028.htm

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 14013 of 52976, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rkrenicki wrote:

My MT-32 finally showed up from Japan today. I am waiting for a few more parts to arrive, and I will have both of my retro gaming setups ready to go.

Nice. I've been hunting for one of these as well to use with my 386, but I haven't been able to find anything under 160$ shipped. I'll pay 100$ and not a penny more! 🤣

Reply 14014 of 52976, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
rkrenicki wrote:

From the angle of the photo it looks like it has a straight face at the front 😀

Reply 14015 of 52976, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PhilsComputerLab wrote:
rkrenicki wrote:

From the angle of the photo it looks like it has a straight face at the front 😀

whoa, it really does!

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 14016 of 52976, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Found something interesting at the flea market in my home town today:

E0zl54Lh.jpg
QDI VIP596P3 - socket 4 / VLB / PCI / ISA

It's a VLB socket 4 pentium board made by QDI! Granted it only takes the 60 or 66mhz original pentium chips, but I'm curious to see how VLB runs on it compared to a 486. Haven't had a chance to test the board yet but I'm pretty excited about it. Hope it works! If it does I'm sticking a VLB Cirrus Logics 2MB card on it, a Voodoo 1 and an AWE64 (don't really have anything older left).

One odd thing I noticed about it is the lack of on board I/O and IDE controllers... this baby will have to run with an ISA multi I/O card (I sold my only VLB I/O card like a moron).

Reply 14017 of 52976, by Anonymous Freak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nice! I do remember VLB-on-Pentium being derided as the ultimate kludge (since VLB was, by definition, an extension of the 486 processor bus, which is rather different than the Pentium processor bus.)

As for no onboard controllers - that also was fairly standard on multi-VLB boards. They expected you to use one VLB slot for a video card, one VLB slot for a multi-I/O controller card (serial, parallel, floppy, ATA,) with one spare. (Ethernet was probably the most likely candidate for the third slot, but those were rarer than hens' teeth.)

One fun thing you can do though is slap a PCI SATA controller in it! That would just be the ultimate oddity, a system with a VLB video card and SATA hard drive...

Reply 14018 of 52976, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Anonymous Freak wrote:

Nice! I do remember VLB-on-Pentium being derided as the ultimate kludge (since VLB was, by definition, an extension of the 486 processor bus, which is rather different than the Pentium processor bus.)

As for no onboard controllers - that also was fairly standard on multi-VLB boards. They expected you to use one VLB slot for a video card, one VLB slot for a multi-I/O controller card (serial, parallel, floppy, ATA,) with one spare. (Ethernet was probably the most likely candidate for the third slot, but those were rarer than hens' teeth.)

One fun thing you can do though is slap a PCI SATA controller in it! That would just be the ultimate oddity, a system with a VLB video card and SATA hard drive...

As a matter of fact I have a PCI sata / pata Promise controller - I'll try and use that. Right now I don't have a socket 4 CPU here, but as soon as I get it I'll test the board out.

Reply 14019 of 52976, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
stamasd wrote:
Another Tseng ET4000, this time VLB. […]
Show full quote

Another Tseng ET4000, this time VLB.

s-l800.jpg

It appears to be this one: http://arvutimuuseum.ee/th99/v/A-B/50028.htm

Nice. I think that's the same card I have. Is it FCC ID ICUVGA-GW142? Cardex are better known as Gainward 😀

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.