VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 1440 of 52805, by TheLazy1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not bought, but I did find a 16MB SIMM in a random box.
😮

A nice addition which brings my 486 build up to 40MB, if it passes memtest...
😜

Reply 1441 of 52805, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I know that its modern but the price its hard not to brag a little. For $54.76 after tax I bought a q8200 and so far it has gotten to 3.15ghz on basically almost stock volts. So I am very happy to finally have a decent 775 cpu 😀

Tracking down some parts for my 486 rig now 😉

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 1443 of 52805, by RichB93

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Again, not old stuff but I got some RAM for my E6600 rig that I was given for free! ABIT AW9D-MAX motherboard that, despite being an old chipset (Intel 975X) clocks ridiculously easily and is nice and stable. 3.5GHz from 2.4 stock isn't too bad going! 🤣 I was given 1GB of Kingston DDR2-667 and bought 3 more sticks for less than £15 which I'm happy with. Slapped a 4670 in there and it's a capable little gaming rig. Nice having a gaming desktop again 😀

Reply 1444 of 52805, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TheMAN wrote:

bastard, where did you manage to get that? I want a Q9400 or better myself!

I got bored and Mom wanted to go to town so we went so she could get a few things. I decided that I'll go to Goodwill just to window shop and see what crap they have. Looked through everything until it came down just to their 775 cpus then I found 4 q8200 and two or three e8400 for basically the same price. I went with the q8200 and glad that I did because my e7200 @ 3.53ghz wasn't cutting it.

Reply 1445 of 52805, by dosquest

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Seeing as I derailed this thread I might as well contribute to it. Recently I got a plain Jane white dell tower, well inside was a Pentium II mmx edition (don't know what that means), 128mb ram and an 80gb barracuda HD, it also had an ati Rage Pro Turbo, and I was wondering if that card is valuable.

Doom isn't just a game, it's an apocalypse survival simulator.

Reply 1446 of 52805, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It depends upon your definition of valuable. If I saw that dell system at a thrift store, I would leave it unless it was cheaper than $10. Mostly because it had a respectable size hard drive.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 1447 of 52805, by dosquest

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

See, I payed the enormous price of $0 for the rig. I was wondering if the ATI card was useful.

Doom isn't just a game, it's an apocalypse survival simulator.

Reply 1448 of 52805, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not particularly. I think they sell for like $2 on ebay.

Also, at the thrift store today, I got an early Pentium 4 made by gateway. I was going to pass it up for $10, but when I opened it in store, it had rimms, and 2 hard drives, and what looked, at first glance, to be a geforce 3.

I havent taken pictures yet, its still in the car. I also got this ugly piece of shit:

auNHsl.jpgP0hF2l.jpg

All it needs is one of those god-aweful TDK cd drives with the same colors.

It had this motherboard in it: MSI K7T master
cy07Dl.jpg

2x 512mb sticks of pc133 and a pci scsi card. Sadly the board doesn't post. or even turn on. 90% chance its the bulging caps, and its an AWESOME pre-ddr board for socket A. If new caps fixes it anyway...

Reply 1449 of 52805, by dosquest

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It look like an half-assed powermac clone. 🤣 See, I want to find a p4 HT eidtion with an 512mb nvidia geforece card and like a 100gb hd, so then I can relive the early 2000's gaming era. Yes I know steam has the old games on there also but using original hardware has something, some nostalgia.

Last edited by dosquest on 2012-09-03, 22:24. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1450 of 52805, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luckybob wrote:
http://i.imgur.com/auNHsl.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/P0hF2l.jpg […]
Show full quote

auNHsl.jpgP0hF2l.jpg

Hahahahahaha hooooo-leeeeeee SHIT! That's hideous! 🤣

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 1451 of 52805, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

its so ugly, its kinda awesome. Its the same bondi-blue as the apple machines. So worth the $10. The scsi card was a internal ZIP one. meaning the open hole was a freaking scsi zip drive, and i've been wanting one FOREVER. >.<

Reply 1452 of 52805, by dosquest

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:

its so ugly, its kinda awesome. Its the same bondi-blue as the apple machines. So worth the $10. The scsi card was a internal ZIP one. meaning the open hole was a freaking scsi zip drive, and i've been wanting one FOREVER. >.<

And the card? What was the graphics card and did it have an add in soundcard? I bet it had one of those SB LIVE! Cards that always came with budget 98-me-2k-xp computers.

Reply 1453 of 52805, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dosquest wrote:
luckybob wrote:

And the card? What was the graphics card and did it have an add in soundcard? I bet it had one of those SB LIVE! Cards that always came with budget 98-me-2k-xp computers.

oh yea. Now I have 5 of the SB live cards. They really are very good cards. never had an issue. always better than onboard. As for the video card. It looks like its a geforce 2 gts: http://www.kickassgear.com/Reviews/Gladiac.htm

Reply 1454 of 52805, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Picked this up:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261070488558?ssPageNa … 984.m1438.l2649

Seller states pulled from working, but untested so...yeah. For $30 I guess it's worth the risk. It's going to be (if working) the basis for my SS7 build.

Can anyone with better eyes zoom in enough to see what kind of chip it has sitting in the socket?

Reply 1455 of 52805, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
senrew wrote:
Picked this up: http://www.ebay.com/itm/261070488558?ssPageNa … 984.m1438.l2649 […]
Show full quote

Picked this up:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261070488558?ssPageNa … 984.m1438.l2649

Seller states pulled from working, but untested so...yeah. For $30 I guess it's worth the risk. It's going to be (if working) the basis for my SS7 build.

Can anyone with better eyes zoom in enough to see what kind of chip it has sitting in the socket?

if you zoom in on the switch on the top left, and teh jumper settings, it looks like it is set for a 3.5 multi, which by the type of chip... I'd put my money on a 233 pentium mmx.

Reply 1458 of 52805, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TheMAN wrote:

boy and I thought the late 90s compaqs were fugly! this gateway tops it off!

Sadly this is not the ugliest machine that I have ever seen. Its the Disney machines that make me want to puke.

Reply 1459 of 52805, by RichB93

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not old old hardware but I've picked up a 4850 to replace the 4670 in that machine to give it a little extra grunt. It has a measly power supply in it though so I did what any sane person would do and wired up an Xbox 360 power supply to the graphics card 🤣