VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 15660 of 52967, by kva

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have just bought a nice looking Cyrix MII-300GP for about 15$, they are very rare in Poland.

Celeron Tualatin vs Celeron Conroe at equal clocks
Pentium Pro 256k vs Pentium Pro 1M vs Pentium II Overdrive!
VIA C3 vs VIA C7

My website all about old hardware

Reply 15662 of 52967, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brassicGamer wrote:
20170121_143837-1200x2133.jpg

Lego! 🤣

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 15663 of 52967, by kva

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kixs wrote:

From time to time I see some nice stuff over at allegro.pl. To bad the sellers won't send outside of Poland 🙁

If you find something interesting I could buy it and send it to you. Sometimes my friend from USA does similar thing for me 😀

Celeron Tualatin vs Celeron Conroe at equal clocks
Pentium Pro 256k vs Pentium Pro 1M vs Pentium II Overdrive!
VIA C3 vs VIA C7

My website all about old hardware

Reply 15664 of 52967, by FesterBlatz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got myself an Ensoniq Soundscape S2000. I snagged this on ebay last week and paid what I considered to be fairly high price for an un-tested board. I can't help but wonder if it was a little bidding-war with another Vogons member... 😈

Fortunately it arrived in working condition but does have leaking capacitors and weak audio output--undoubtedly due to to the bad caps. The board arrived pretty grimy and had a fair amount of fluid around the caps, but thankfully there wasn't any PCB damage.

I've already ordered new Nichicon capacitors and have the board all cleaned up and ready for when they arrive.

EDIT: For anyone interested, I'm documenting the re-cap process in this thread here: Ensoniq Soundscape leaking capacitors

IMG_1519.JPG
Filename
IMG_1519.JPG
File size
2.66 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by FesterBlatz on 2017-02-01, 18:54. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 15665 of 52967, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
FesterBlatz wrote:

I can't help but wonder if it was a little bidding-war with another Vogons member... 😈

it was! 😀 Congrats though! I try to snag these 2mb versions up where I can.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/272525916906

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 15666 of 52967, by FesterBlatz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had a feeling it was you. 😀

The seller didn't have an anti-static bag so I actually sent him one along with a proper box and pre-paid priority mail shipping label to make sure it got to me in one piece. So I spent even more than just the winning bid. I recently received two damaged Ensoniq OPUS boards from eBay so I guess I was a little paranoid... Anyway, these boards aren't exactly easy to find anymore so I'm OK with the overall cost it as long as the recapping job get's it working perfectly again.

I edited my post above to include a link to my recapping thread...

Reply 15667 of 52967, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What a small world!

Also I hate it when people don't pack things properly. I've gotten various sound/video/NIC cards in the mail with no packaging before.

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 15668 of 52967, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cj_reha wrote:

My second eBay find came!

Looks good. Last summer I bought several computers from a local classified and one of them seems to have the exact same case as yours. It's the second from the right, the one on top:

n7qZPG4l.jpg

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 15669 of 52967, by c0keb0ttle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Traded one of my Roland MT-32 modules for this GUS today.

IMG_1826.JPG
Filename
IMG_1826.JPG
File size
402.21 KiB
Views
File comment
Synergy Viper MAX 32
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

It's a Synergy ViperMAX 32, or possibly a Gravis Ultrasound Extreme, the branding issues confuse me.

Unfortunately the box is not complete (no manuals or driver CDs), but still pretty cool.

I've quickly tried to install it, with the CD downloaded from Vogons, but I can't get it to properly work. The Sound Blaster Pro compatible ESS part seems to work fine, but the setup utility says it can't find the Gravis card, and it behaves oddly when trying to locate it by scanning ports...

Oh well, I'll prolly make a separate post about that.

Reply 15670 of 52967, by cj_reha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
oeuvre wrote:

What a small world!

Also I hate it when people don't pack things properly. I've gotten various sound/video/NIC cards in the mail with no packaging before.

I bought sealed copies of DOS 6.22 (3.5 floppy) and Windows 3.1 (5.25 floppy) once and they came in a box stacked ontop of each other with no packaging. Literally just the boxes inside the box. Thank god the package didn't come as damaged.. 🤣

Join the Retro PC Discord! - https://discord.gg/UKAFchB
My YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDJYB_ZDsIzXGZz6J0txgCA

Reply 15671 of 52967, by FesterBlatz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cj_reha wrote:

I bought sealed copies of DOS 6.22 (3.5 floppy) and Windows 3.1 (5.25 floppy) once and they came in a box stacked ontop of each other with no packaging. Literally just the boxes inside the box. Thank god the package didn't come as damaged.. 🤣

The mind boggles...

I once had a window air-conditioner unit go bad while it was still under warranty. To correct the situation General Electric sent me a "refurb" that was literally a 40-lbs air-conditioner thrown loosely in a cardboard box with ZERO packaging. Obviously the week-long FexEx Ground trip essentially destroyed the unit. I called them to explain how WTF this was, so they agreed to send me a 2nd unit which arrived EXACTLY the same way-in exactly the same condition. After several more calls they refused to just send a new properly packaged unit, but they eventually gave me some kind of VISA gift card I could use to just purchase a new unit.

The whole affair was pretty surreal, especially considering it was with a huge successful company like General Electric that should grasp basic concepts like shipping.

Reply 15672 of 52967, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
oeuvre wrote:

What a small world!

Speaking of that.... the FX-5500 I bought off ebay about a week ago now or a little longer was the same situation. Seller just literally stuffed it inside an "Express Letter" envelope.. the coardboard ones about 1/4-inch thick ones. No static bag, no padding, no protection and about 15 layers of tape to close it. And by the time it got here.. it was quite damaged.. bits of it sticking out of the packging.

This was the end result:
DSC07363.JPG

The I/O bracket is obvious, but also look at the corners of the PCB on the far side, and the PCI-Express connector at the bottom.

I've since then been in contact with the seller.. (Who I won't mention) .. I asked politely for him to refund me via ebay messages first. And in response I was insulted with various swear words claiming that -I- damaged it.. and then was forced to open an ebay buyer protection case.. which resulted in more flaming messages from seller with more swear words and insults. And threats even. Eventually under buyer protection ebay gave me a full refund.

But yeah... that was possibly the worst ebay experience I've had by far in the past 5 or so years buying on there.

Reply 15674 of 52967, by cj_reha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The final eBay PC of the trio saga. This one came from a college surplus sale and was visibly partially underwater at some point as there is some corrosion on the drive bays. It still POSTs fine, though.

It's a:
AMD Am386DX/DXL-25 @ 25 MHz
8 MB RAM (8 x 1 MB 30pin SIMMs), 0KB L2 cache
Oak 256KB video card
BioStar MB-1325P Motherboard
GoldStar I/O
Logitech Scanner interface card
Generic 8bit ISA modem

When I first got it, it was missing the cool "faux floppy drive" bay covers I liked. I was slightly disappointed..

I looked inside and they were neatly packed in there! Props to the seller 😊

oJoUZH2.png

GA0l64k.png

I then opened it up and...blegh. The infamous "Barrel Battery of Cancer."

ORzZfKm.png

Easily fixed though 😀 It even shows that the battery had only started corroding, with little to no corrosion on the board at all. I'm lucky 😊

aHT7Anz.png

And after a bit of cleaning up, here it is in all its glory 🤣

NyGP3vh.png

I still need to fix the MHz display (missing a jumper), add a hard drive and a few other things but so far it's a cool little machine!

Join the Retro PC Discord! - https://discord.gg/UKAFchB
My YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDJYB_ZDsIzXGZz6J0txgCA

Reply 15675 of 52967, by vlask

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

ELSA GLoria-4 - 1995 - price $2990. Based on 1st 3Dlabs chip GLINT 300SX, 4MB VRAM+8MB DRAM.

aOQvp8S.jpg

Not only mine graphics cards collection at http://www.vgamuseum.info

Reply 15677 of 52967, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kithylin wrote:
Speaking of that.... the FX-5500 I bought off ebay about a week ago now or a little longer was the same situation. Seller just l […]
Show full quote
oeuvre wrote:

What a small world!

Speaking of that.... the FX-5500 I bought off ebay about a week ago now or a little longer was the same situation. Seller just literally stuffed it inside an "Express Letter" envelope.. the coardboard ones about 1/4-inch thick ones. No static bag, no padding, no protection and about 15 layers of tape to close it. And by the time it got here.. it was quite damaged.. bits of it sticking out of the packging.

This was the end result:
DSC07363.JPG

The I/O bracket is obvious, but also look at the corners of the PCB on the far side, and the PCI-Express connector at the bottom.

I've since then been in contact with the seller.. (Who I won't mention) .. I asked politely for him to refund me via ebay messages first. And in response I was insulted with various swear words claiming that -I- damaged it.. and then was forced to open an ebay buyer protection case.. which resulted in more flaming messages from seller with more swear words and insults. And threats even. Eventually under buyer protection ebay gave me a full refund.

But yeah... that was possibly the worst ebay experience I've had by far in the past 5 or so years buying on there.

Jeez that is ridicules. I had an older gentleman (40's, 50's) buy a random P4 off Craigslist from me for $10. Pictures, full specs, describing it as a basic web browser for the patient. Guy started emailing me threats and that he was going to find me because it was slow. . .havent heard anything from him after telling him to go ahead, there would be either a .38 or buckshot waiting for him 😊

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 15678 of 52967, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

I got a better recent eBay story.

So I bought a 12.4gb Bigfoot and revived a 6.4gb drive. I messaged the seller and emailed him and got nothing for an answer.

So I left a neg feedback and not he says I never tried to contact him. 😵
He offers a refund if I remove the feedback but I did not trust changes get the feedback without getting something upfront.

I let him know that I would not change the feedback without him doing something. He refused to do anything until I changed the feedback so I left the neg intact.

Not he goes and buys everything I have listed and requested that the orders be canceled. Yeah this will end well.

Reply 15679 of 52967, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a happier story. The Tseng ET6000 I bought arrived today. From the angle the photo was taken, it looks fine. But turn the card around, and there's a big gouge and the Tseng processor chip is lifted up off the PCB. I took a photo and sent it to the seller. Within 30 minutes, he apologized and refunded me. Still, it was advertised as tested working, and he packed it well enough that it could not have happened during shipment. The fact that I got it so cheap makes me wonder if he knew about the damage. It was listed at $16 with $8 shipping (these cards typically go for $35 - $40). I offered $12 to make an even $20 with shipping and he accepted right away.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks