VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 15700 of 52967, by c0keb0ttle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Slightly more modest card than the guy above me. 😀

A VLB card with a CL 5428 chip and 1MB DRAM. No idea what brand.

IMG_1842.JPG
Filename
IMG_1842.JPG
File size
444.64 KiB
Views
File comment
Cirrus Logic 5428 VLB
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Anyone want to hazard a guess what those two jumpers do? One is open and one is closed, right now.

Reply 15701 of 52967, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
c0keb0ttle wrote:
Slightly more modest card than the guy above me. :) […]
Show full quote

Slightly more modest card than the guy above me. 😀

A VLB card with a CL 5428 chip and 1MB DRAM. No idea what brand.

IMG_1842.JPG

Anyone want to hazard a guess what those two jumpers do? One is open and one is closed, right now.

Wild guess: jp11 is for irq and jp12 is for 33mhz or higher bus.

Reply 15702 of 52967, by rpz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
blurks wrote:
https://abload.de/img/tnt2_1sboxl.jpeg […]
Show full quote

tnt2_1sboxl.jpeg

tnt2_2ysql4.jpeg

Wow, nice with the box. Slightly jealous here 😜 Congrats! 😀

Reply 15703 of 52967, by vlask

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
clueless1 wrote:
vlask wrote:
ELSA GLoria-4 - 1995 - price $2990. Based on 1st 3Dlabs chip GLINT 300SX, 4MB VRAM+8MB DRAM. […]
Show full quote

ELSA GLoria-4 - 1995 - price $2990. Based on 1st 3Dlabs chip GLINT 300SX, 4MB VRAM+8MB DRAM.

aOQvp8S.jpg

to be clear - you paid $2990?

No, that was release price in 1995. Exchanged it for Diamond Viper VLB rev.E

lazibayer wrote:

Beautiful! I love these multi-chip 3D cards. Time for some benchmarks!

No benchmarks, tried it with Win95 driver, its working in Win98SE, but no OpenGL or D3D support, it works there only as 2d card. Because of age - there are only Win NT4 drivers available ofc not working in Win XP. So i have to install somewhere Win NT to test this card - too lazy for that (never got Win NT anyway). Think that card even won't support texturing, so no games and with Triangle Rate only 300 000 it would be really slow.

Not only mine graphics cards collection at http://www.vgamuseum.info

Reply 15704 of 52967, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

''hardware busy'' here lately 😀

Another visit to the scrapper today. He was selling a xeon x3450 (i7) and x3210 (core2quad) together for 35 euro so had to have them. Great upgrade material for little money!

While i was there i had to snoop around ofcourse. Oh boy.... I collected a few voodoo's (i thought it went GREAT, finding those) and i had 3 voodoo1, 2x voodoo2, a v3 pci and av3 3000 agp.
After looking at them in daylight i decided i had to put them back. The v3 pci was extremely dirty and had missing caps and had a damaged ram chip. v1 and v2 cards had some legs on the chips damaged, not only touching but some were broken or completely gone 😢

I took home the v3 3000 (only missing one cap, no further damage) and one voodoo1. They are cheap but not free so i had to make choices.
The v3 agp works, even without one cap. Wil recap it. The voodoo1 i will test but after straightening some ''legs'' there seems to be a loose one. Hopefully that one has no use 🤣

Also picked up a super 7 board (only saw 1 after 2 visits, they are much rares than normal s7). It has no bios chip and is missing one component. Will make a topic and hopefully i can fix it.
It is a MSI 5169, not my brand but i'll try and save any super 7 i find.

Also found three slotkets there today. 2 for coppermines and one for celeron only. All working. Just bought 2 new ones this week so i have enough slotkets now i think 😎

Last but not least: A working Fx5600ultra agp (joehoee, no damage!) and i found a (msi) NX6800ultra agp!!! It was missing the heatsink/fan and only had the ram heatsink (with minor damage).
Could not resist and took it, hoping it would still work...

At home i put on a very small heatsink/fan (only attached by paste) and then i saw a missing cap. Well, whatever, still wanted to see if it gave an image. IT DID!!!
Did shut it off imediately so no extensive testing yet but at POST there were no artifacts.

I have a dead 6800gt which will be the donor for the missing cap and it also has a zalman which will be transferred to the ultra. Hopefully it will still work fine in 3D!

For the 2 voodoo's, the 2 nvidia's, 2 mainboards (also had a 386 dx40 missing bios chip), and a intel dx4-100 cpu and the 3 slotkets i paid only 20 euro. 🤣 🤣 🤣
Cheap, but always a gamble...

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 15705 of 52967, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

bought the following this week:

2x ISA NICs :

4hc15YWl.jpg

an Aztech Sound Galaxy BXII sound card :

VMjo00Jl.jpg

and a rev6 CT1600 SBPro2 😁

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 15706 of 52967, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vlask wrote:

No benchmarks, tried it with Win95 driver, its working in Win98SE, but no OpenGL or D3D support, it works there only as 2d card. Because of age - there are only Win NT4 drivers available ofc not working in Win XP. So i have to install somewhere Win NT to test this card - too lazy for that (never got Win NT anyway). Think that card even won't support texturing, so no games and with Triangle Rate only 300 000 it would be really slow.

I checked the Win95 driver and indeed there is only the S3 Vision 968 part of it. The driver doesn't care about the glint chip and it should show up as "winner xxxx" in device manager.
The 300SX chip should have some capability of texture mapping as stated by 3DLabs, but it doesn't say how many texels per second. The vintage3d site gives a number of 25MT/s for its VLB sister, but I am not sure about its authenticity.

Reply 15707 of 52967, by shiva2004

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
yawetaG wrote:

1 Cooler Master Centurion 5 (mk. I) case, missing a fan, some unoriginal hardware, and lots of little scratches, dust and minor damage:

IMG_6928.jpg

I have the same case but with the front in cobalt blue instead of silver; it's a pretty good case, cool without being flashy.

Reply 15708 of 52967, by probnot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
shiva2004 wrote:
yawetaG wrote:

1 Cooler Master Centurion 5 (mk. I) case, missing a fan, some unoriginal hardware, and lots of little scratches, dust and minor damage:

IMG_6928.jpg

I have the same case but with the front in cobalt blue instead of silver; it's a pretty good case, cool without being flashy.

I've had that case for my main PC since it was first released (2004ish?), but I have the window version, so everyone can see my horrendous cable management 😎

Reply 15709 of 52967, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Currently I am wondering what to do with it, maybe build that file/backup server (with modern hardware) I've been promising myself since, oh, the last seven years or so 🤣 . The fan that was included turned out to be literally caked with dust, and will likely be thrown out (besides, I want quiet fans). The case itself was filthy in places, so I've stripped it down into pieces and half of it has been showered, dried, and reassembled by now. Tomorrow the chassis will follow...

Been eyeballing motherboards this evening. I might go with an actual server board, seeing consumer boards seem to have been dumbed down with pretty colors, useless plastic design elements, glowy lights, and a BIOS that looks like some puzzle game for preschoolers (the manuals too, impossible to figure out whether something actually has hardware RAID or not because the explanations have been simplified so much...).

Reply 15710 of 52967, by probnot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
yawetaG wrote:

Currently I am wondering what to do with it, maybe build that file/backup server (with modern hardware) I've been promising myself since, oh, the last seven years or so 🤣 . The fan that was included turned out to be literally caked with dust, and will likely be thrown out (besides, I want quiet fans). The case itself was filthy in places, so I've stripped it down into pieces and half of it has been showered, dried, and reassembled by now. Tomorrow the chassis will follow...

Been eyeballing motherboards this evening. I might go with an actual server board, seeing consumer boards seem to have been dumbed down with pretty colors, useless plastic design elements, glowy lights, and a BIOS that looks like some puzzle game for preschoolers (the manuals too, impossible to figure out whether something actually has hardware RAID or not because the explanations have been simplified so much...).

It's a great case, and I think it would work well as a file server. A couple things to note - the front will cake with dust when you have proper airflow front to back (but it will also keep the inside nice and dust free). Also the tool-free mounts suck...

Reply 15712 of 52967, by Rhuwyn

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

http://www.ebay.com/itm/172505083498

Just picked up this auction. Was looking for some cheap socket 7/370 coolers and ran into this. Not a huge deal if it was just the coolers but it looks like there are actually 2 CPUs in there. From the looks of them AMD X5s maybe.

Reply 15713 of 52967, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Rhuwyn wrote:

Just picked up this auction. Was looking for some cheap socket 7/370 coolers and ran into this. Not a huge deal if it was just the coolers but it looks like there are actually 2 CPUs in there. From the looks of them AMD X5s maybe.

oh shit son... nice deal! I mean the heatsinks are OKAY... but the 2 486 upgrade chips... NICE.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 15714 of 52967, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Rhuwyn wrote:

That's why I love ebay 😁

Reply 15715 of 52967, by x0zm_

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

picked these up over the week. not a bad haul.:

Online::
ASUS V7700 Deluxe GeForce2 GTS - $5 AUD + P&H. Half the pci bracket is missing for some reason. Working.
QiPcuMhl.jpg

Adaptec AHA-2940UW SCSI PCI Card - $6 AUD + P&H. Working.
U6fBzJnl.jpg

misc case stickers from two different people - $14 inc. Shipping AUD.
iXjToK6l.jpg

Closing Business (all free)::
S3 ViRGE/DX - Working.
YbW5XXzl.jpg

Octek PVGA-S3 - Untested. Don't know much about it.
KWRGwfVl.jpg

Celeron 300A (SL36A) - Working.
TQC26N3l.jpg

Reply 15716 of 52967, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:

an Aztech Sound Galaxy BXII sound card :

I have one of these little guys and like everything about it, except the sound quality 😢 It'd be such a nice little card if it sounded less muffled - no drivers, nice OPL2, line in, physically small.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 15717 of 52967, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ this is intentional to provide the full retro experience mate! You are also supposed to use it with those 80s passive speakers too 🤣 🤣 🤣

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 15718 of 52967, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
meljor wrote:
Last but not least: A working Fx5600ultra agp (joehoee, no damage!) and i found a (msi) NX6800ultra agp!!! It was missing the h […]
Show full quote

Last but not least: A working Fx5600ultra agp (joehoee, no damage!) and i found a (msi) NX6800ultra agp!!! It was missing the heatsink/fan and only had the ram heatsink (with minor damage).
Could not resist and took it, hoping it would still work...

At home i put on a very small heatsink/fan (only attached by paste) and then i saw a missing cap. Well, whatever, still wanted to see if it gave an image. IT DID!!!
Did shut it off imediately so no extensive testing yet but at POST there were no artifacts.

I have a dead 6800gt which will be the donor for the missing cap and it also has a zalman which will be transferred to the ultra. Hopefully it will still work fine in 3D!

I replaced the cap with one from the donor 6800gt and placed the zalman cooler. It runs perfectly!
Did a couple of runs in 3dmark '03 and measured temp while running. According to Rivatuner it idles at 40 degrees celcius and peaks at 65 when benching which is very low.

Not only did i save a 6800ultra agp, i got it very cheap and it was fun fixing/testing it. Win, win!

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 15719 of 52967, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
yawetaG wrote:
Drives included with the case: […]
Show full quote

Drives included with the case:

1 NEC beige front ND-1300A DVD writer:

1 Toshiba Samsung black front SH-D162 DVD drive:

I haven't tested them yet.

Drives tested in my Pentium II.
The Samsung didn't get auto-detected at boot, the drive door didn't want to open properly in Windows. When I set the BIOS explicitly to "CD-ROM" instead of "Auto-detect" it caused the PC to hang at boot in such a way I couldn't even enter the BIOS to change the setting back. This confused the BIOS enough for it to continue hanging at boot after removing the drive. The cables fit in very loosely at the back of the drive, so I have suspicions it may be a bad contact that causes the issues, or the drive is simply too new for the motherboard.
The NEC...works flawlessly. Gets auto-detected at boot, reads CDs and DVDs properly, including some disks that the ex-Apple Philips DVD drive in the same system doesn't particularly like, and it also works on the above-mentioned "CD-ROM" BIOS setting, so I didn't have to reset the BIOS to default values to get rid of the hanging issue (phew...). Since it has a beige front instead of a black front, it looks like my Pentium II has a new DVD drive. 😁

Floppy disk drive not tested yet, enough shenanigans with Samsung drives for today.