Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 16160 of 52813, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:
But this one even has the keeeeys! lol Most of the time these are missing or incomplete or something is broken and this one was […]
Show full quote
yawetaG wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

And what was actually the biggest surprise, a 5.25in floppy box! It was missing the plastic separator...whatever thingies but it still had the original keys! This one was a nobrainer 😀

These are actually pretty easy to find in Dutch second-hand shops. I think it's because they think they are boxes to store CD's...(invariably, they're placed with the CD's) 🤣

But this one even has the keeeeys! 🤣
Most of the time these are missing or incomplete or something is broken and this one was only €1 anyway 😜

These do come up in second-hand stores from time to time, but the second-hand stores here have barely any PC stuff left and pickings are bordering on non-existent (and only getting worse).

And I think you're right when it comes to these boxes not even being recognized, as this one was not at the hardware part of the store at all! It was in the part that was more about mugs and wooden statues and coasters 🤣, hence my surprise when I spotted it 😜

I Picked up a 3.5" one still brand new in the box. Here in the US they are pretty common at thrift stores, but usually a very sad sight. Almost always when you see one it means all of the floppies that were inside were destroyed.

XPS 466V|486-DX2|64MB|#9 GXE 1MB|SB32 PnP
Presario 4814|PMMX-233|128MB|Trio64
XPS R450|PII-450|384MB|TNT2 Pro| TB Montego
XPS B1000r|PIII-1GHz|512MB|GF2 PRO 64MB|SB Live!
XPS Gen2|P4 EE 3.4|2GB|GF 6800 GT OC|Audigy 2

Reply 16165 of 52813, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gdjacobs wrote:
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p18/LH2man/Funnees/gifsFav/drooling.gif […]
Show full quote

drooling.gif

Man, that's disgusting! 🤣

Anyway, I've never played Ultima 6 with JBL 250Ti's, but I did play Ultima Underworld with JBL 120Ti's, using MuNT. The result isn't really that impressive though. 🙁 However, I played GZDoom using the same speakers, and there's a level where the music has prominent, rolling cymbal sound. Now, the cymbal sounds reaaaally nice on the 120Ti's. However, since the speakers sound transparent (almost studio monitor-transparent), the synthesized nature of the cymbal becomes very audible. Yep, the cymbal roll stops very abruptly, without decay whatsoever, showing its synthesized nature, and the abrupt stop become very obvious on the JBL 120Ti's.

xplus93 wrote:

Gonna shamelessly plug my kenwoods again. Been playing Bladerunner on my PII machine and OMG. It's amazing. Although I think i'm the only huge fan of this series other than bigtuna on AK. They are very rare so not many people have had the opportunity to listen to them. Looking through some info I think they may have been direct competitors to your L120Ti's Mine being the LS407B's and the 408's equivalent to the L240Ti, and Model Sevens were japan only, but competitive with The 250's

EDIT: Also, yes that is a pioneer receiver trying to look like a sansui

Interesting. How does the Kenwood sound? Does it also sound transparent and unforgiving, that you'd need warm-sounding amplifier to tame them? JBL titanium does.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 16166 of 52813, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ti 4800 with passive cooling for no apparent reason except it was cheap.

Attachments

• zalman.jpg
    Filename
    zalman.jpg
    File size
    245.93 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by sf78 on 2017-03-11, 19:33. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 16167 of 52813, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:
Man, that's disgusting! :lol: […]
Show full quote
gdjacobs wrote:
Show full quote

drooling.gif

Anyway, I've never played Ultima 6 with JBL 250Ti's, but I did play Ultima Underworld with JBL 120Ti's, using MuNT. The result isn't really that impressive though. 🙁 However, I played GZDoom using the same speakers, and there's a level where the music has prominent, rolling cymbal sound. Now, the cymbal sounds reaaaally nice on the 120Ti's. However, since the speakers sound transparent (almost studio monitor-transparent), the synthesized nature of the cymbal becomes very audible. Yep, the cymbal roll stops very abruptly, without decay whatsoever, showing its synthesized nature, and the abrupt stop become very obvious on the JBL 120Ti's.

xplus93 wrote:

Gonna shamelessly plug my kenwoods again. Been playing Bladerunner on my PII machine and OMG. It's amazing. Although I think i'm the only huge fan of this series other than bigtuna on AK. They are very rare so not many people have had the opportunity to listen to them. Looking through some info I think they may have been direct competitors to your L120Ti's Mine being the LS407B's and the 408's equivalent to the L240Ti, and Model Sevens were japan only, but competitive with The 250's

Interesting. How does the Kenwood sound? Does it also sound transparent and unforgiving, that you'd need warm-sounding amplifier to tame them? JBL titanium does.

I listen on a set of MDR 7506s. Certainly high fidelity reference gear can be quite unforgiving, but I certainly prefer it to more flabby generic audio equipment. LA synthesis is technology limited to a point. I do notice that having good cans makes me much more discerning over GM/GS sound fonts.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 16168 of 52813, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gdjacobs wrote:

I listen on a set of MDR 7506s. Certainly high fidelity reference gear can be quite unforgiving, but I certainly prefer it to more flabby generic audio equipment. LA synthesis is technology limited to a point. I do notice that having good cans makes me much more discerning over GM/GS sound fonts.

Indeed. High fidelity gear ruthlessly shows the weakness of your source. Playing Jane's Fighters Anthology on JBL L20T, for example, mercilessly reveals the game's lo-fi music --most notably the Jane's intro. It's actually nice, though, because it emphasizes the game's retro feeling.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....

Reply 16169 of 52813, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Man you guys with your 1000+ dollar speaker sets are depressing....

All I've got are a pair of Yamaha NS6490's with a in-chain Yamaha YST-SW005 (one of those resonator chamber models) and some crappy all in on HiFi amp from Phillips Magnavox. Granted my system sounds quite good (I prefer my system over what they have in current theaters around me, mostly AMCs) but damn I can only imagine how bad it would sound compared to those things.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 16170 of 52813, by xeon3d

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Didn't really buy it, but I got offered two computers today.

One beige box with a FIC VM503, PMMX 233Mhz, 2x32MB DIMM, Creative SB16 Value CT2890, Creative 24x cd, Quantum Bigfoot (frickin massive hdd) 4.3GB and a S3 Virge DX. Everything working.

Then I got a Tandem 286 machine but sadly it had quite the leakage, broken fuse on PSU and spider eggs glued to motherboard, so no luck there.

Sadly no pics yet. I will probably open a thread with pics of the graphics card to see if you guys can help me identify it.

Reply 16171 of 52813, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xeon3d wrote:
Didn't really buy it, but I got offered two computers today. […]
Show full quote

Didn't really buy it, but I got offered two computers today.

One beige box with a FIC VM503, PMMX 233Mhz, 2x32MB DIMM, Creative SB16 Value CT2890, Creative 24x cd, Quantum Bigfoot (frickin massive hdd) 4.3GB and a S3 Virge DX. Everything working.

Then I got a Tandem 286 machine but sadly it had quite the leakage, broken fuse on PSU and spider eggs glued to motherboard, so no luck there.

Sadly no pics yet. I will probably open a thread with pics of the graphics card to see if you guys can help me identify it.

Swap out the Quantum Bigfoot if you can. Those things had an insane failure rate if i remember correctly. Basically made for OEM cheap-per-MB storage because it's easier and cheaper to shove 500MB onto a 5.25 platter than a 3.50 platter. I didn't even know they were sold outside of the OEM market until now (I'm assuming by that description that its not an OEM machine)

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 16172 of 52813, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Maybe getting my old HD7750 back. Be nice nice to have the first gpu I bought new! Oh also picked up an Asrock am2+/am3 board with 2x2gb of ddr 2

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 16173 of 52813, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:
Man, that's disgusting! :lol: […]
Show full quote
gdjacobs wrote:
Show full quote

drooling.gif

xplus93 wrote:

Nope, that's why I like them. My main Paradigms in my theater system are a bit like that. Every other vintage speaker i've listened to has me messing with the tone adjustments. These just sound good. According to the marketing it's due to the cross-laid lumber baffle boards.

Reply 16174 of 52813, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

Man you guys with your 1000+ dollar speaker sets are depressing....

All I've got are a pair of Yamaha NS6490's with a in-chain Yamaha YST-SW005 (one of those resonator chamber models) and some crappy all in on HiFi amp from Phillips Magnavox. Granted my system sounds quite good (I prefer my system over what they have in current theaters around me, mostly AMCs) but damn I can only imagine how bad it would sound compared to those things.

Paid 20 plus a refoam kit. You just gotta get out there and hunt for the deal. Over time you'll end up paying the value of one set of high end speakers and end up with a closet full of them like me. Then you get to have all the fun of restoring them. Or stacking two pairs of bullnose advents that cost 50 dollars total and having an awesome tower of power

Reply 16175 of 52813, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Traded some stereo components I was having a hard time selling for these three consoles. For an ugly KR-5400, some nice but not well known marantz speakers, and a super basic sony TT I think I did pretty well.

EDIT: might help if I attach pic

Attachments

Reply 16176 of 52813, by SuperDuty455

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Got these for 10€ ^^ Nothing fancy, but the 7600GS AGP and the 9600XT are neat cards. There's also a 6200 AGP with exploded Sacon FZ caps, and an HD3650 Silent, I forgot to put them in the picture :
32517545534_e0d3c7e9f7_b.jpg

Reply 16177 of 52813, by Asomodai

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Finally grabbed a motherboard for my high end Win98 only rig. ASRock 4CoreDual-SATA2 R2.0 which the seller claims has never been used. Interesting that the wrong manual is being sent with it though!

d73ZJle.jpg

Cant wait to pair this with my Cedar Mill Pentium 4 661!

Reply 16178 of 52813, by vladstamate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got this from a local Goodwill for $1.99. It works. I tried it with Kilrathi Saga and Forsaken. I am not sure how to make the 4 base buttons to work, they do not seem to do anything in those 2 games but I presume that is because of the games. It is set up as a 2-axis 2 button joystick in Win 98 (on a P2 @ 400Mhz).

Attachments

• IMG_0188.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_0188.JPG
    File size
    84.22 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7HbC_nq8t1S9l7qGYL0mTA
Collection: http://www.digiloguemuseum.com/index.html
Emulator: https://sites.google.com/site/capex86/
Raytracer: https://sites.google.com/site/opaqueraytracer/

Reply 16179 of 52813, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vladstamate wrote:

Got this from a local Goodwill for $1.99. It works. I tried it with Kilrathi Saga and Forsaken. I am not sure how to make the 4 base buttons to work, they do not seem to do anything in those 2 games but I presume that is because of the games. It is set up as a 2-axis 2 button joystick in Win 98 (on a P2 @ 400Mhz).

Looks nice. What is the brand and model?