Topic actions

Reply 16820 of 53069, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
blurks wrote:
Skalabala wrote:

Some K6 lottery 😁 Finally! K6 project is going slow.
Date code 0328 😁 Thats 2003 week 28. 400Mhz 1.6V k6 3+

You sure about the datecode? I don't remember the K-6 III being produced in 2003.

Could be March 28 instead...especially since it looks like there's also a copyright symbol followed by a year on those processors.

Reply 16821 of 53069, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
yawetaG wrote:
blurks wrote:
Skalabala wrote:

Some K6 lottery 😁 Finally! K6 project is going slow.
Date code 0328 😁 Thats 2003 week 28. 400Mhz 1.6V k6 3+

You sure about the datecode? I don't remember the K-6 III being produced in 2003.

Could be March 28 instead...especially since it looks like there's also a copyright symbol followed by a year on those processors.

AMD K6 CPUS is year/month as well, i found a pic of a K6-2 350 dated from 2002, model is K6-2/350AMZ and is aparently an Embedded model, i guess embedded models were used for longer time

AMD-K6-2_350AMZ.jpg

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems

Reply 16822 of 53069, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kanecvr wrote:

Yup. Love my MSI 5950 Ultra as well. I'm not using it tough since it tends to get pretty hot and these cards have a tendency to die due to thermal stress. I have a couple of Quadro FX 3000 cards (FX 5900 Ultra) and I use those. If they die, they can be easily replaced.

I keep the 5950 Ultra in a display case, and occasionally take it out to mess around with it and for benchmarks.

I think if you're that worried about thermal stress, you can just down-clock it for normal use. Unless you say the Quadro variants have better components in general?

Reply 16823 of 53069, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dexvx wrote:
kanecvr wrote:

Yup. Love my MSI 5950 Ultra as well. I'm not using it tough since it tends to get pretty hot and these cards have a tendency to die due to thermal stress. I have a couple of Quadro FX 3000 cards (FX 5900 Ultra) and I use those. If they die, they can be easily replaced.

I keep the 5950 Ultra in a display case, and occasionally take it out to mess around with it and for benchmarks.

I think if you're that worried about thermal stress, you can just down-clock it for normal use. Unless you say the Quadro variants have better components in general?

Quadro's generally speaking tend to have a lower leniency in terms of component quality. Better caps, better solder materials, etc just better built all around. There designed for use in mission critical enviroments. The Quadros are also clocked slightly lower on the memory if i recall correctly. But if you're worried about thermals an Arctic NV5, some Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste, and ram sinks and you're good to go. That's the way mine is setup. If anything takes this card down it won't be thermals. Just make sure you're case has proper venting.

Retarded case and fan decisions do more to kill component's than anything else.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 16824 of 53069, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So why does the Quadros (and FireGL) go for a fraction of the consumer grade items? They should technically be rarer because I would image their production numbers to be much smaller than the consumer versions.

Also picked this up:

8MaZi8X.jpg

Reply 16825 of 53069, by x0zm_

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dexvx wrote:

So why does the Quadros (and FireGL) go for a fraction of the consumer grade items? They should technically be rarer because I would image their production numbers to be much smaller than the consumer versions.

You see more of them around because they were in workstations in medium to large size businesses. When they are done with them, they often go to recycling centers, some of which onsell components like you see on those large electronic recyclers pages on eBay and on the net.

Consumer goods just get thrown out eventually, not many people keep their old personal PCs. They just go into the rubbish or collected by the local council (or country equivalent) to be recycled normally.

The people who do keep them either enjoy PCs or just forgot they had them. The former are more likely to research their value and sell them at a price they feel is appropriate. They are often selling to us fellow computing/retro computing enthusiasts and collectors. With the workstation cards, these businesses get them in such large quantities at a time and stock costs money to hold, it is in their best interests to sell them as fast as they can which often means lower prices.

They also need to consider the market they are mainly targetting -- not retro computer lovers but other businesses that need to replace broken parts in their current hardware. They have to take into consideration that spares need to be sold at a price that makes it worth buying a spare from them as opposed to just replacing the entire system. The exception to this rule is industrial equipment that is used in, well, industrial CNC machines and other such fun items. They are VERY expensive to replace, so they know they can sell those motherboards for $500-$800 each for a Pentium II/III/4 era board. It may not sell quickly, but someone will pay it eventually. That's because those machines are designed to work with very specific hardware, often down to the board revision.

So were there less made? Probably. But more "survived" because of the environment they came from. 😀

Reply 16826 of 53069, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
x0zm_ wrote:
You see more of them around because they were in workstations in medium to large size businesses. When they are done with them, […]
Show full quote
dexvx wrote:

You see more of them around because they were in workstations in medium to large size businesses. When they are done with them, they often go to recycling centers, some of which onsell components like you see on those large electronic recyclers pages on eBay and on the net.

Consumer goods just get thrown out eventually, not many people keep their old personal PCs. They just go into the rubbish or collected by the local council (or country equivalent) to be recycled normally.

The people who do keep them either enjoy PCs or just forgot they had them. The former are more likely to research their value and sell them at a price they feel is appropriate. They are often selling to us fellow computing/retro computing enthusiasts and collectors. With the workstation cards, these businesses get them in such large quantities at a time and stock costs money to hold, it is in their best interests to sell them as fast as they can which often means lower prices.

They also need to consider the market they are mainly targetting -- not retro computer lovers but other businesses that need to replace broken parts in their current hardware. They have to take into consideration that spares need to be sold at a price that makes it worth buying a spare from them as opposed to just replacing the entire system. The exception to this rule is industrial equipment that is used in, well, industrial CNC machines and other such fun items. They are VERY expensive to replace, so they know they can sell those motherboards for $500-$800 each for a Pentium II/III/4 era board. It may not sell quickly, but someone will pay it eventually. That's because those machines are designed to work with very specific hardware, often down to the board revision.

So were there less made? Probably. But more "survived" because of the environment they came from. 😀

There's also the fact the average bonehead isn't smart enough to get Quadros to load the ID modded GeForce drivers. With Quadro drivers you get 3 things primarily:

Extreme Stability, there designed with this in mind.
Performance equivalent to greased lightning in OpenGL.
More precise rendering in some cases (Usually regards to color accuracy and float point)

The stability is because in a work environment stability and not losing time due to crash's is generally more important, not to mention in medical imaging environments that can end with worse consequences. The drivers are extremely geared towards the OpenGL framework employed in most professional 3D environments. It also has the side effect of making OpenGL games run just as fast.

That being said, you lose some specialized gaming features (special AA modes etc), and you take a hit on Direct3D performance.

For most people, this makes the Quadro's unacceptable.

I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 16828 of 53069, by Skalabala

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dexvx wrote:
kanecvr wrote:

Yes this is true. The latest date code I have seen so far is 0337 The letters after that is the stepping code

Reply 16829 of 53069, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A Slot 1 Pentum II 350.

med_gallery_60983_11505_943453.jpg

Now I need to decidd whether to use this or a Slot 1 PIII 450 for a Voodoo 3 system.. If only I had another Slot 1 board so I could use this for my Voodoo 2, alas I have to make do with a 166MMX@233MHz.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 16830 of 53069, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dirkmirk wrote:

Very nice, 1996 😲 ! 2meg or 4meg?

I think the ISA version maxes at 2 MB.

Also, along the same vein of Quadro discussion, are FireGL's worth it for Radeons?

Reply 16831 of 53069, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Picked up a lot of 13 PCI sound cards on eBay.

From the horrid picture, I can tell:
1x S3 Sonic Vibes
2x Yamaha YMF-724 or similar
2x Aureal Vortex (not sure if Vortex 1 or 2)

The others I have no idea what they are, but it was worth it for the few I could tell.

Yay for nasty out of focus cell phone pics where you can't really tell much of anything except for shapes.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 16832 of 53069, by Nvm1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got two things for free today:
1. HP Z400 workstation, slot 1366, cpu still unknown, 8gb ram, 320gb sata drive and Quadro 4000. System did run before being gifted, a bit of dust in it but for the rest fully functional.
2. HP elitedisplay E231, not a single scratch or dead pixel. 😲

I also received a socket 3 motherboard, CHICONY CH-471A (VER. 3) which unfortunately has a bit of transport damage. The board was neatly packed but the whole edge of the cardboard box was ripped open. 😠 One of the resistors next to the power connector is broken and I don't know the value of the resistor. The whole board is covered in exactly the same looking resistors, which if I measure them have two different values... No mark is left on the broken resistor so will have to take some pictures and hope somebody can help me with this.

Reply 16833 of 53069, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
dexvx wrote:
kanecvr wrote:

Quadro's generally speaking tend to have a lower leniency in terms of component quality. Better caps, better solder materials, etc just better built all around. There designed for use in mission critical enviroments. The Quadros are also clocked slightly lower on the memory if i recall correctly. But if you're worried about thermals an Arctic NV5, some Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste, and ram sinks and you're good to go. That's the way mine is setup. If anything takes this card down it won't be thermals. Just make sure you're case has proper venting.

Retarded case and fan decisions do more to kill component's than anything else.

I'd rather not risk having my only working 5950 ultra die, so I'll stick to the quadro cards. I have two of those and they are cheap to buy - and plentiful.

Reply 16834 of 53069, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kanecvr wrote:

Yup. Love my MSI 5950 Ultra as well. I'm not using it tough since it tends to get pretty hot and these cards have a tendency to die due to thermal stress. I have a couple of Quadro FX 3000 cards (FX 5900 Ultra) and I use those.

Fair enough. I paid 25 for mine shipped with said cooling modifications done before hand on Amibay. I guess I got Lucky. I'd imagine you could probably get those 5900 based Quadros up to 5950U clocks anyways.

For me, buying something like this and not using it would be like buying a stock car to drive on Sundays. A complete waste. Unless something is exceedingly rare (for example the FX5800 Ultras) in which case I'm more likely to save it for special occasions.

That being said, uh isn't pulling a card in and out for benchmarking and crap often just as risky as leaving it in? I'm always worried about accidentally damaging stuff removing it from cases or similar.

Might just be a case of the lesser of two evils.

Reply 16835 of 53069, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dexvx wrote:
dirkmirk wrote:

Very nice, 1996 😲 ! 2meg or 4meg?

I think the ISA version maxes at 2 MB.

Your card has 2MB. But there were also 4MB models on ISA bus.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 16836 of 53069, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Got this 486 CPU cooler in the mail today.... Never used.

IMG_20170504_090846698.jpg
Filename
IMG_20170504_090846698.jpg
File size
184.18 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 16837 of 53069, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
brostenen wrote:

I've got that same exact cooler 😀 No complaints, it works great.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 16838 of 53069, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PhilsComputerLab wrote:
brostenen wrote:

I've got that same exact cooler 😀 No complaints, it works great.

Nice... This is actually the exact same model that I had in my dx2-66, wich I had from 1995 to somewere around 2000. I regret giving that machine away. I gave it to someone that had no money for a computer, and he needed one for writing homework. This will go inside my dx2-80 VLB/ISA system, and the cooler from that will go inside my dx4-120 PCI/VLB/ISA system. The dx4-120 system is a genuine one wich are not an overclocked cpu, like the populair dx4-100 clocked at 120. And because of the rarity of the cpu, I wish to make it active cooled and not passive cooled.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 16839 of 53069, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
Fair enough. I paid 25 for mine shipped with said cooling modifications done before hand on Amibay. I guess I got Lucky. I'd ima […]
Show full quote
kanecvr wrote:

Yup. Love my MSI 5950 Ultra as well. I'm not using it tough since it tends to get pretty hot and these cards have a tendency to die due to thermal stress. I have a couple of Quadro FX 3000 cards (FX 5900 Ultra) and I use those.

Fair enough. I paid 25 for mine shipped with said cooling modifications done before hand on Amibay. I guess I got Lucky. I'd imagine you could probably get those 5900 based Quadros up to 5950U clocks anyways.

For me, buying something like this and not using it would be like buying a stock car to drive on Sundays. A complete waste. Unless something is exceedingly rare (for example the FX5800 Ultras) in which case I'm more likely to save it for special occasions.

That being said, uh isn't pulling a card in and out for benchmarking and crap often just as risky as leaving it in? I'm always worried about accidentally damaging stuff removing it from cases or similar.

Might just be a case of the lesser of two evils.

5950 Ultra cards are pretty damn rare. There's none on ebay right now, and I've only seen two cards myself - the MSI I own and an ASUS back in the day - that's it.