Reply 17160 of 52803, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kanecvr wrote:
kithylin wrote:
kanecvr wrote:

That's odd. My cards have thermal pads between the large black radiator and the video memory. They also had a gray thermal compound (witch I replaced). I'll see if I can find some pics.

This was mine when I took it apart. Although bear in mind I do have the "Extreme" card and I believe yours are the XXX cards. Perhaps with the XXX they included ram pads and better TIM. It's a possibility.

Mine went something like this: stock "stick it in the machine and nothing else" = 85c - 88c core temps, replacing TIM with grey arctic silver 5 = 65c-72c temps. Mounting a 60mm fan on the heatsink on the back of it, connecting it to the onboard fan header, and putting in a custom fan curve in the computer via afterburner for 30% fan @ 55c = constant gaming temps of 50c-55c usually, even in demanding titles. Didn't get a lot of time testing I'm happy. A little work and I've almost halved the temps on it. 55c is -tons- better. Hope it lasts now. I haven't investigated if I can get it working with win98 yet, still playing with it in XP on my P4 computer. And I may later investigate trying to modify it's bios to see if I can program in a custom fan curve. By default it pushes this fan to 100% @ 55c and it's noisy. I also disassembled a broken quadro card, and sacrificed another one of my other quadro cards I don't care for (paid $3 for it) and now have full thermal pads on all the ram chips as well to contact to this heatsink.

They don't work on win98 🙁 - no drivers...

I think he mean using the custom/modded drivers, i know there are some custom drivers for Windows 98 SE and the Geforce 7 cards

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems

Reply 17161 of 52803, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Carlos S. M. wrote:

I think he mean using the custom/modded drivers, i know there are some custom drivers for Windows 98 SE and the Geforce 7 cards

YEP! There's some community customized drivers supposed to support the 7000 series on Win98. I havent' tried it yet and it'll be several days yet before I can, or a while til trying it later. I'll get to it some day though, IRL First.

Reply 17162 of 52803, by SaxxonPike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kithylin wrote:
Carlos S. M. wrote:

YEP! There's some community customized drivers supposed to support the 7000 series on Win98. I havent' tried it yet and it'll be several days yet before I can, or a while til trying it later. I'll get to it some day though, IRL First.

I believe I got them working with my 7600 GS AGP. So, should definitely work with the other cards based on earlier processing units (this is the G73.)

Sound device guides:
Sound Blaster
Aztech
OPL3-SA

Reply 17163 of 52803, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kithylin wrote:
Carlos S. M. wrote:

If you get them working, please let me know. I'd love to build a win98 rig with a 7xxx video card.

SaxxonPike wrote:

I believe I got them working with my 7600 GS AGP. So, should definitely work with the other cards based on earlier processing units (this is the G73.)

Where did you get the drivers? Do you have a link or is there a guide posted someware?

Reply 17164 of 52803, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kanecvr wrote:

Where did you get the drivers? Do you have a link or is there a guide posted someware?

https://web.archive.org/web/20120512143841/ht … indows98.ic.cz/

Again though.. we're getting pretty off-topic for this thread now 😒

Reply 17165 of 52803, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Another GeForce 256, this time the SDR version.

aL6JOB.jpg

Plan is simple: Remove the working fan and mount it on the 256 DDR. Then remove the Heatsink completely (this one isn't glued on) and replace it with a new VGA cooler. Tada.. Two working GeForce 256 cards now, one SDR, one DDR!

They will never be used in a system though, being unfortunate enough to be contemporary with Voodoo 3 which I will choose every single time despite knowing it is objectively inferior.. Such are the wages of fanboyism..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 17166 of 52803, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote:
Another GeForce 256, this time the SDR version. […]
Show full quote

Another GeForce 256, this time the SDR version.

aL6JOB.jpg

Plan is simple: Remove the working fan and mount it on the 256 DDR. Then remove the Heatsink completely (this one isn't glued on) and replace it with a new VGA cooler. Tada.. Two working GeForce 256 cards now, one SDR, one DDR!

They will never be used in a system though, being unfortunate enough to be contemporary with Voodoo 3 which I will choose every single time despite knowing it is objectively inferior.. Such are the wages of fanboyism..

Also, Voodoo3 supports GLide while GeForce doesn't. Voodoo3 has better 16-bit image quality as well. If I'm to build a GeForce-based retro system, I'd rather go with GeForce 4600Ti instead of GeForce 256, let alone SDR.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 17167 of 52803, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I doubt anyone will care but if y'all like nvidia.. I took a DIE Shot of the G71 core while I had the cooler of my 7950 GT off.
KZvZCYf.jpg
Large: http://i.imgur.com/XyhZtPq.jpg

All those little white specks are just bits of fiber from the toilet paper I used to clean it. Yes I used a small lint-free cloth and a few blasts of air cleaner to wipe it all down before putting it back together.

Reply 17168 of 52803, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kithylin wrote:
kanecvr wrote:

That driver set works with up to the 7900GTX in Windows 98SE.

It is supposedly supposed to work with G80 based cards as well, but it just kept crashing when I tried it. I really wanted to get my 8800 Ultra working in Win98SE.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 17169 of 52803, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote:
kithylin wrote:
kanecvr wrote:

It is supposedly supposed to work with G80 based cards as well, but it just kept crashing when I tried it. I really wanted to get my 8800 Ultra working in Win98SE.

What were you trying to run that both supported windows 98 AND could take advantage of the absolutely monsterously powerful for the time 8800 Ultra?

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 17170 of 52803, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

could take advantage of the absolutely monsterously powerful for the time 8800 Ultra?

Try to use 16х SSAA 16x AF HQ mode.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 17171 of 52803, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just received this lot.

IMG_0031r.jpg
Filename
IMG_0031r.jpg
File size
2.82 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reason to buy it was that I spotted a 80286 Suntac Board for my collection in the pile.

IMG_0036r.jpg
Filename
IMG_0036r.jpg
File size
3.57 MiB
Views
File license

Most luckily it seems to be in almost perfect condition with battery removed before causing any damage 😀

Then there is a nice Socket 7 AT board

IMG_0034r.jpg
Filename
IMG_0034r.jpg
File size
4.23 MiB
Views
File license

And 2 even more nice 80386 CHIPS boards. However the 82A306 Socket is destroyed in both 🙁 One chip is still in its socket, so I hope I will be able to repair it.

IMG_0037r.jpg
Filename
IMG_0037r.jpg
File size
4.17 MiB
Views
File license
IMG_0039r.jpg
Filename
IMG_0039r.jpg
File size
3.82 MiB
Views
File license

First I will test the Suntac 😀

EDIT: Arrrghh no the 2nd 386 Board isnt a CHIP but an INTEL...some idiot removed the 82A306 from the CHIPS board and put it in a socket of the INTEL board.... 😵 😵 😵

Last edited by Predator99 on 2017-05-27, 12:21. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 17172 of 52803, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Predator99 wrote:

Reason to buy it was that I spotted a 80286 Suntac Board for my collection in the pile.

14 mounting holes? WtF?

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 17173 of 52803, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Predator99 wrote:
Just received this lot. […]
Show full quote

Just received this lot.

IMG_0031r.jpg

IMG_0036r.jpg

Most luckily it seems to be in almost perfect condition with battery removed before causing any damage 😀

Then there is a nice Socket 7 AT board

IMG_0034r.jpg

And 2 even more nice 80386 CHIPS boards. However the 82A306 Socket is destroyed in both 🙁 One chip is still in its socket, so I hope I will be able to repair it.

IMG_0037r.jpg
IMG_0039r.jpg

First I will test the Suntac 😀

EDIT: Arrrghh no the 2nd 386 Board isnt a CHIP but an INTEL...some idiot removed the 82A306 from the CHIPS board and put it in a socket of the INTEL board.... 😵 😵 😵

Quite a few nice looking 370 boards in there along with 1 or two that are dual Slot1/370 boards one of which being AT? The LGA775 board with the multicolor ram slots is from an IBM Thinkcentre. It most likely supports Q9000 series quads but unfortunately the design is proprietary. The other LGA775 board appears to be normal and is most likely a home server board judging by the odd set of PCIe 4x connectors. It would probably make an excellent server if you throw a couple of gigabit cards in there. The most interesting thing there IMO is the third LGA775 board near the center because of what appears to be an AGP slot. My understanding is LGA775 boards with AGP are quite uncommon. If that supports Core2s that should make an excellent late AGP system or test bed. That slot 1 board to the far right I know I've seen somewhere when I was researching high end Slot1 boards but I can't remember the make. Im sure one of the walking motherboard encyclopedias that inhabit vogons will identify it for you. on the bottom with the red AGP slot is an Epox EP-8RGA which is nice Socket A nForce2 board.
Up top you have what I believe to be an Athlon XP board with a red AGP slot but I'm not 100 percent sure as AMD is not my area of expertise. On the addin card side you have what appears to be several either Vantas or 2MX cards and what I think based on the PCB layout and color (blue) a Hercules Kyro II. I'll leave identifing the older stuff to others. Kinda curious about that dual head ISA VGA near the center though. I think there was a thread about a card that looked just like that some months ago.

What do you plan to do with all of that stuff? You might create a thread about that lot. I'd be curious to hear more about it.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 17174 of 52803, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

Quite a few nice looking 370 boards in there along with 1 or two that are dual Slot1/370 boards one of which being AT? The LGA775 board with the multicolor ram slots is from an IBM Thinkcentre. It most likely supports Q9000 series quads but unfortunately the design is proprietary. The other LGA775 board appears to be normal and is most likely a home server board judging by the odd set of PCIe 4x connectors. It would probably make an excellent server if you throw a couple of gigabit cards in there. The most interesting thing there IMO is the third LGA775 board near the center because of what appears to be an AGP slot. My understanding is LGA775 boards with AGP are quite uncommon. If that supports Core2s that should make an excellent late AGP system or test bed. That slot 1 board to the far right I know I've seen somewhere when I was researching high end Slot1 boards but I can't remember the make. Im sure one of the walking motherboard encyclopedias that inhabit vogons will identify it for you. on the bottom with the red AGP slot is an Epox EP-8RGA which is nice Socket A nForce2 board.
Up top you have what I believe to be an Athlon XP board with a red AGP slot but I'm not 100 percent sure as AMD is not my area of expertise. On the addin card side you have what appears to be several either Vantas or 2MX cards and what I think based on the PCB layout and color (blue) a Hercules Kyro II. I'll leave identifing the older stuff to others. Kinda curious about that dual head ISA VGA near the center though. I think there was a thread about a card that looked just like that some months ago.

What do you plan to do with all of that stuff? You might create a thread about that lot. I'd be curious to hear more about it.

Hehe, I intended to put all the boards you have explained in a big box and sell them again as I am only interested stuff older than Pentium 😉 I also do not have any spare parts to test them.

The ISA VGA is a Genoa Super VGA (ET3000AX) with an additional EGA connector. I own several EGA/VGA cards.

Then there are two ISA MFM controllers. The ISA I/O card is nothing special and some parts are missing.

Best news: The Suntac is working perfectly...yes 😀

EDIT: Intel 386 Board also working after removing the damaged socket for the 387 😀 Its this one
http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/M/MO … TTLE-386SX.html

Reply 17175 of 52803, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Predator99 wrote:
Hehe, I intended to put all the boards you have explained in a big box and sell them again as I am only interested stuff older t […]
Show full quote
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

Hehe, I intended to put all the boards you have explained in a big box and sell them again as I am only interested stuff older than Pentium 😉 I also do not have any spare parts to test them.

The ISA VGA is a Genoa Super VGA (ET3000AX) with an additional EGA connector. I own several EGA/VGA cards.

Then there are two ISA MFM controllers. The ISA I/O card is nothing special and some parts are missing.

Best news: The Suntac is working perfectly...yes 😀

EDIT: Intel 386 Board also working after removing the damaged socket for the 387 😀 Its this one
http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/M/MO … TTLE-386SX.html

It's very likely you will be interested in the somewhat newer stuff in a few years. I'd say pick a few items to keep.

XPS 466V|486-DX2|64MB|#9 GXE 1MB|SB32 PnP
Presario 4814|PMMX-233|128MB|Trio64
XPS R450|PII-450|384MB|TNT2 Pro| TB Montego
XPS B1000r|PIII-1GHz|512MB|GF2 PRO 64MB|SB Live!
XPS Gen2|P4 EE 3.4|2GB|GF 6800 GT OC|Audigy 2

Reply 17176 of 52803, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Predator99 wrote:

Just received this lot.<snip>

I just noticed the seller removed all heatsinks off of the things.. all chipset heatsinks from the motherboards and all heatsink-fans off the video cards... Why?? 😕 😕

And probably ruined several of em in the process. 😢 😵

Reply 17177 of 52803, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
cyclone3d wrote:

What were you trying to run that both supported windows 98 AND could take advantage of the absolutely monsterously powerful for the time 8800 Ultra?

I just wanted to see if I could get it to work. C2D at 3.5Ghz with an 8800 Ultra would have given some sweet benchmark scores 🤣

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 17178 of 52803, by probnot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I finally found a 486! Just happened to stop at the recycler today and he had one available...25 Canadian Pesos!

Intel 486DX2-66
16MB RAM (4x4MB 30-pin SIMMs)
Unknown motherboard
VI-711A VLB Graphics (Cirrus Logic CL-GD5428)
Pine Technology PT-604A Controller
Enermax PSU

It posts, but the PSU will need a re-cap (some are even bulging).

Attachments

• DSC_4615.JPG
    Filename
    DSC_4615.JPG
    File size
    2.83 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • DSC_4611.JPG
    Filename
    DSC_4611.JPG
    File size
    3.86 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • DSC_4610.JPG
    Filename
    DSC_4610.JPG
    File size
    3.21 MiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 17179 of 52803, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Awesome, probnot! Detail your restore in system specs or something, would you?

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video