Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 18280 of 52813, by dest

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Gered wrote:
dest wrote:

That case is my "holy grail" of sorts, but have not been able to find one (in fact the only one I've ever seen in person was the one we had back in the early 90's).

The power switch on these cases are just so satisfying. *CLUNK*.

Reply 18281 of 52813, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jade Falcon wrote:

I picked up a Asus 6800 512mb agp for 20$. Kind of regret it as I found out after words it was a ddr2 128bit card. Sadly the 5950 ultra I bought was not in stock.

Your aware those are insanely rare right? It took Kithilyn a couple of years to find 2 512MB 6800s IIRC

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 18282 of 52813, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

They arnt even the slightest bit rare, its the 512mb ddr3 ultras thst are rare. This card is a asus n6800 with 128bit ddr. Asus pumped them out by the dozen so to say. Mostly in 256mb versions. You find two or 3 one ebay at any given point, two on there right now.

Reply 18283 of 52813, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
Jade Falcon wrote:

I picked up a Asus 6800 512mb agp for 20$. Kind of regret it as I found out after words it was a ddr2 128bit card. Sadly the 5950 ultra I bought was not in stock.

Your aware those are insanely rare right? It took Kithilyn a couple of years to find 2 512MB 6800s IIRC

Jade Falcon wrote:

They arnt even the slightest bit rare, its the 512mb ddr3 ultras thst are rare. This card is a asus n6800 with 128bit ddr. Asus pumped them out by the dozen so to say. Mostly in 256mb versions. You find two or 3 one ebay at any given point, two on there right now.

Yep.. also, Jade got the AGP version. Those are fairly common. And normally 256MB (But some were 512MB AGP). What I got is the 512MB, PCI-Express version that supports SLI.

What I got is the rare things.

Last edited by kithylin on 2017-08-08, 00:41. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 18284 of 52813, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

I just cant get anything right. At all.
The abit sa8 I bought recently has a dead agp port. Ether no video, jail bars or a yellow screen. At first i thought all my agp parts were dead.

Frist the vnf100 was out of stock, them the 5950 now the sa8 is a dud. Am i cruised?
Anyway i filed for a retun and bought an ABIT Fatal1ty AN8 SLI. Nut sure what ill use for a video card. I did order a vnf100 on ebay that was install on a 9800gtx, but thsts abot too new for the system if you ask me.

Reply 18285 of 52813, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jade Falcon wrote:
I just cant get anything right. At all. The abit sa8 I bought recently has a dead agp port. Ether no video, jail bars or a yell […]
Show full quote

The abit sa8 I bought recently has a dead agp port. Ether no video, jail bars or a yellow screen. At first i thought all my agp parts were dead.

Frist the vnf100 was out of stock, them the 5950 now the sa8 is a dud. Am i cruised?
Anyway i filed for a retun and bought an ABIT Fatal1ty AN8 SLI. Nut sure what ill use for a video card. I did order a vnf100 on ebay that was install on a 9800gtx, but thsts abot too new for the system if you ask me.

I've messed with a AMD socket 939 SLI system, even one that can do 16x-16x SLI @ full speed, and I can confirm that K8 cpu's (Even the 2MB Dual cores), even overclocked to 3.7 ghz, can not benefit from anything much beyond a top end 9800 series card. I had a 9800GT in mine and saw literally zero scaling with a second 9800GT, and saw the exact same result with a single GTX-260 in it. Even some negative scaling in 3dmark 2001se with two 9800 GT's in it. That's right about the top end for 939 SLI. Compared to when I had tried my two 6800 Ultra PCIE cards in it I saw about +90% gain from the second gpu over the first one. So it will scale well with the 6000 series.. and maybe a little with the 7000 series on the top end.

Early AMD SLI systems just did scale very well, up to a point, it's not a problem of the platform, it's just the CPU's are easily maxed out with a decent single card is all (CPU Bottleneck).

Reply 18286 of 52813, by probnot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Saw a Compaq FP 7317 monitor for $10 at a thrift store today, and had to get it. I've been wanting to get a second 4:3 monitor, since sometimes I'm using a few old systems at the same time.

This one compliments my FP 5315 nicely and supports a better resolution for the 98SE machine.

7w5OOnSl.jpg

Reply 18287 of 52813, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This NMB keyboard... shame the DIN to PS/2 adapter isn't here yet.

Attachments

• DPM0Sr4.jpg
    Filename
    DPM0Sr4.jpg
    File size
    712.2 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • CLcWFik.jpg
    Filename
    CLcWFik.jpg
    File size
    682.01 KiB
    Views
    File license

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 18288 of 52813, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
oeuvre wrote:

This NMB keyboard... shame the DIN to PS/2 adapter isn't here yet.

I was curious about those. Are they actually mechanical keyboards? Or just clickity-sounding rubber-dome ones?

Reply 18290 of 52813, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I bought a thing off Craigslist:

EFHUGZfm.jpg

Cost me $40 I didn't have, thankfully ramen noodles are cheap. This thing is CRUSTY AF. Seller told me it made the chime, but didn't display. So I am not surprised to get it at that price. He also was the original owner and bought it at the end of high school. I have an idea what the problem probably is, and it's going to get a good retrobrite treatment. So plenty of material for my crappy youtube channel. 😀

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 18291 of 52813, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Picked up a new old stock Diamond Viper/ATI Radeon X1950 Pro 512MB AGP for $38. Pretty happy about the price since it's new and I have heard these outperform the Nvidia 7800GS AGP cards. On the back it has what looks like thermal material exposed, never seen something like this. Any ideas?

front.jpg
Filename
front.jpg
File size
1.86 MiB
Views
File license
back.jpg
Filename
back.jpg
File size
1.97 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 18292 of 52813, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
kithylin wrote:
Jade Falcon wrote:
I just cant get anything right. At all. The abit sa8 I bought recently has a dead agp port. Ether no video, jail bars or a yell […]
Show full quote

I've messed with a AMD socket 939 SLI system, even one that can do 16x-16x SLI @ full speed, and I can confirm that K8 cpu's (Even the 2MB Dual cores), even overclocked to 3.7 ghz, can not benefit from anything much beyond a top end 9800 series card. I had a 9800GT in mine and saw literally zero scaling with a second 9800GT, and saw the exact same result with a single GTX-260 in it. Even some negative scaling in 3dmark 2001se with two 9800 GT's in it. That's right about the top end for 939 SLI. Compared to when I had tried my two 6800 Ultra PCIE cards in it I saw about +90% gain from the second gpu over the first one. So it will scale well with the 6000 series.. and maybe a little with the 7000 series on the top end.

Early AMD SLI systems just did scale very well, up to a point, it's not a problem of the platform, it's just the CPU's are easily maxed out with a decent single card is all (CPU Bottleneck).

Agreed. I manly bought it as it fit my needs and all my parts would work with it, cpu aside.
I may go 6800gt sli or 7950gt sli but I dint know yet. Ill need a second vnf100 tgst i know.
Even had the original guru panle.

Last edited by Jade Falcon on 2017-08-08, 04:51. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 18293 of 52813, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
liqmat wrote:

On the back it has what looks like thermal material exposed, never seen something like this. Any ideas?

That's a thermal pad covering the AGP-to-PCIe bridge chip. It's normal; the various AGP versions of the X1xxx series and newer tend to have these.

Reply 18294 of 52813, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
luckybob wrote:

I bought a thing off Craigslist: [...]

Nice catch! Hopefully it's an easy crt repair, maybe cold solder joints? Also what yt channel? 😕

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 18295 of 52813, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:
luckybob wrote:

Nice catch! Hopefully it's an easy crt repair, maybe cold solder joints? Also what yt channel? 😕

Well I wasn't planning on using this thread to advertise, but due to popular demand...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXrPbaNjSmZ_SM-Ro9FQsGw

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 18297 of 52813, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:
keropi wrote:
luckybob wrote:

Well I wasn't planning on using this thread to advertise, but due to popular demand...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXrPbaNjSmZ_SM-Ro9FQsGw

Now that's my kinda channel! Is likely the internal battery and/or leaking caps with no irreversible damage. If you're lucky.

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 18298 of 52813, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SW-SSG wrote:
liqmat wrote:

On the back it has what looks like thermal material exposed, never seen something like this. Any ideas?

That's a thermal pad covering the AGP-to-PCIe bridge chip. It's normal; the various AGP versions of the X1xxx series and newer tend to have these.

Thanks. I am mostly an NVidia user so this just threw me a bit.

Reply 18299 of 52813, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Voodoo3 I bought off a scrapper arrived. No post due to the capacitor at C79 being completely obliterated when the scrapper tore the heatsink off. I kind of expected this. The board signals complete VGA failure.

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/0RJfC

Anything else there I need to fix? If it's just that capacitor it shouldn't be too hard. I'm a little out of my league here.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction