VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 18420 of 52813, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Bought an external 100MB ZIP drive with the software, and cables (extender, ZIP to PC Parallel cables, and power adapter) that I'm going to be using on my Packard Bell. Might get an internal IDE one for my K6-2 machine and a 10 pack of 100MB ZIP disks, and 350MB 2120XL data tapes on eBay.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 18422 of 52813, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got an external USB FDD, Samsung SFD-321U. Makes a cool "HMMMMM" noise when spinning. Neither of the two retro machines I've whittled down to have an internal FDD, so I bought this to use their BIOS' "USB-FDD" boot options for troubleshooting/etc. It works fine for that.

IMG_6894b.jpg
Filename
IMG_6894b.jpg
File size
166.39 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 18423 of 52813, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bjwil1991 wrote:

Bought an external 100MB ZIP drive with the software, and cables (extender, ZIP to PC Parallel cables, and power adapter) that I'm going to be using on my Packard Bell. Might get an internal IDE one for my K6-2 machine and a 10 pack of 100MB ZIP disks, and 350MB 2120XL data tapes on eBay.

I have always been a bit afraid of ZIP drives since the click of death thing. Is there a way to recognise affected drives?

1982 to 2001

Reply 18424 of 52813, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Cyrix200+ wrote:
bjwil1991 wrote:

I have always been a bit afraid of ZIP drives since the click of death thing. Is there a way to recognise affected drives?

I've been very wary of Zip drives ever since I used them in college.

The dumb computers or maybe the drives themselves would randomly wipe all data from the disk without warning. If you didn't have a backup you were definitely hosed.

If you did have a backup, you better hope it was not on a zip drive as you had about a 50% chance that when you inserted that disk it would get wiped as well.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 18425 of 52813, by cj_reha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ATi Radeon X1800XT 256MB PCIe
Boxed AOpen 802.11b PCMCIA WiFi adapter
PowerBook G4 w/o power adapter
DMS59 to VGA splitter
25 pin serial cable
a few cd games

Attachments

Join the Retro PC Discord! - https://discord.gg/UKAFchB
My YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDJYB_ZDsIzXGZz6J0txgCA

Reply 18426 of 52813, by moawkwrd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

A couple arrivals for my planned builds:

IMG_1078.JPG
Filename
IMG_1078.JPG
File size
177.06 KiB
Views
File license
IMG_1076.JPG
Filename
IMG_1076.JPG
File size
150.22 KiB
Views
File license

According to the label on the mouse, I may be a victim of piracy if it was supplied without a new PC. I should contact Logitech immediately!

Xeon E3-1241v3 - 16GB DDR3 - Vega 56 - W10
PII 450MHz - 256MB SDRAM - Voodoo 3 3000 PCI - W98SE

Reply 18427 of 52813, by torindkflt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cyclone3d wrote:

For what it's worth I personally have never experienced the CoD or other catastrophic failure with any Zip drive I've ever used, which includes multiple internal drives in college and a mix of a few internal and external drives at home. Only problem I've had with a Zip drive is my USB-powered 250MB drive randomly "unmounting" the disk...not ejecting it, just suddenly acting like there is no disk inserted and refusing to let me read it until I eject and re-insert the disk (Spins down and starts blinking the LED slowly). Granted this could be a problem with 64-bit Windows and/or Windows 10, but it's never been a show-stopper since, like I said, all I need to do is eject then re-insert the disk to get it going again.

Reply 18428 of 52813, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
moawkwrd wrote:
A couple arrivals for my planned builds: […]
Show full quote

IMG_1078.JPG
IMG_1076.JPG

According to the label on the mouse, I may be a victim of piracy if it was supplied without a new PC. I should contact Logitech immediately!

XFX 8800GTS. Lifetime warranty. They still honor it. I put them to the test recently.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 18429 of 52813, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Cyrix200+ wrote:
bjwil1991 wrote:

The reasons why behind the click of death was because of the following:

1. Dusty cartridges or oxidized read/write heads
2. Power outage/unplugging constantly
3. Misaligned heads
4. Mis-written cartridges or damaged disks can damage the head
5. Missing pieces for cost reduction (like the 1995-2000 Chrysler/Plymouth/Dodge minivans with no Brake Shift Interlock)

Iomega had a lawsuit filed against them in 1998 and wasn't settled until 2001. The drives and disks later on were labeled which ones were/are bad later on in life.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 18431 of 52813, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote:
I've been very wary of Zip drives ever since I used them in college. […]
Show full quote
Cyrix200+ wrote:
bjwil1991 wrote:

The dumb computers or maybe the drives themselves would randomly wipe all data from the disk without warning. If you didn't have a backup you were definitely hosed.

If you did have a backup, you better hope it was not on a zip drive as you had about a 50% chance that when you inserted that disk it would get wiped as well.

USB ZIP drives 250 Mb can read the 100 Mb disks as well and usually don't suffer from the earlier drives' problems. Mine is now close to 15 years old and still works fine (except on my MacBook Pro, which seems to drive it very hard...).

Reply 18432 of 52813, by moawkwrd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
elod wrote:
moawkwrd wrote:

The attachment IMG_1078.JPG is no longer available

Why get a potential brick?

It was cheap enough for it not to matter if it is.

Today's arrivals, slightly larger:

DSC00182.jpg
Filename
DSC00182.jpg
File size
124.92 KiB
Views
File license

Sharp 17" LCD with speakers, from 2002 roughly.

DSC00181.jpg
Filename
DSC00181.jpg
File size
224.87 KiB
Views
File license

Two of the beige towers are for harvesting parts and then selling on what I can't use. Will be using the Gateway tower with it's lovely stickers for my Windows 98 machine. Black Antec Tower is for Windows XP.

DSC00183.jpg
Filename
DSC00183.jpg
File size
159.88 KiB
Views
File license

Wyse rubber dome PS/2 keyboard, looks to be from the early 2000s judging by the Windows keys. As new in box.

Xeon E3-1241v3 - 16GB DDR3 - Vega 56 - W10
PII 450MHz - 256MB SDRAM - Voodoo 3 3000 PCI - W98SE

Reply 18433 of 52813, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I put a relatively low starting bid on this item, to my suprise it was immediately accepted by the seller. Quite happy with it. Paid 60 euro for it.

xmXiUbBl.jpg

1982 to 2001

Reply 18434 of 52813, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@moawkwrd

love that antec case in the middle. I had a black one and crammed a P4 inside it. I would not mind getting another.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 18435 of 52813, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
moawkwrd wrote:
<snip> […]
Show full quote

<snip>

<snip>

DSC00181.jpg

Two of the beige towers are for harvesting parts and then selling on what I can't use. Will be using the Gateway tower with it's lovely stickers for my Windows 98 machine. Black Antec Tower is for Windows XP.
<snip>

Love the beige cases, the Antec is a true modern classic!

1982 to 2001

Reply 18436 of 52813, by elod

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
luckybob wrote:

@moawkwrd

love that antec case in the middle. I had a black one and crammed a P4 inside it. I would not mind getting another.

I still use mine daily but I have to admit that the NSK4000 on the right is better.

Reply 18437 of 52813, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This arrived today. I'm a sucker for all Ti4600 cards. The Nvidia 45.23 Control Panel identifies it as a Ti4800, however!

The card is almost new, and the cables are still sealed. New manual. $28 shipped from shopgoodwill.com.

UPDATE: I just learned that the Ti4800 is an 8x AGP Ti4600.

IMG_0506.JPG
Filename
IMG_0506.JPG
File size
2.84 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 18439 of 52813, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
agent_x007 wrote:

Athlon XP has nothing on my "new" PSU =)

Tagan TG420-U01.jpg

If that PSU is anything like my 370W Tagan, it will be very tightly packed and not have a lot of airflow. It's ...somewhere in the middle perhaps when it comes to build quality (partially due to the parts chosen, like certain caps)..but mine is very heavy!
Will be hard to repair due to how packed that PSU is. I got one due to the good 5v and 12v rails back when my Barton 3200+ was still the fastest thing I could lay my hands on.

My Tagan did work reliably, even though I didn't fully trust it (yes I ended up having basically zero problems with mine).

moawkwrd wrote:

DSC00181.jpg

I'd personally prefer the middle one though. But I also like the Gateway case to the left (but I think the center beige one looks best). The black case seems like a run-of-the-mill black/silvery case though.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!