Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 18560 of 52811, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
hard1k wrote:
HO HO HO This year Santa has visited me rather early, and I must have been a really good boy as he brought me a complete-in-box […]
Show full quote

HO HO HO
This year Santa has visited me rather early, and I must have been a really good boy as he brought me a complete-in-box Creative 3D Blaster VLB - with all original accessories, tested and fully working 😀
Please have a look at the pictures taken by the previous owner (actually I haven't found any pics of the complete package on the net, so I could easily be the first one to upload them here):

Of course, in order to preserve the mystery the conditions of the deal will be kept confidential.
I guess I'll have to take on the quest for the unobtainable RAM upgrade module - has anyone actually seen one of those out in the wild? Any picture / part number / anything else?

Well, it's my monthly sometimes weekly or even daily eye bleeding time.

Reply 18561 of 52811, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

wow!

Anyway I recently got (not quite retro yet) a C0 (meh) QX9650 and a 8gb kit of ocz platinum ddr21066mhz 5-5-5-12 ram. I do also have a 2gb kit of OCZ 1200mhz 5-5-5-15 ddr2.

Reply 18562 of 52811, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Received a lot of nice 486/586 boards and cards...maybe some photos later 😉

Along with one CPU at the bottom of the carton...never seen such bad condition. Didnt made a photo of its initial state. Very dirty and almost all pins bent. Unfortunately also some pins missing.
I was thinking about throwing it away but then gave it a try...I cleaned it with Ethanol+Toothbrush and straightend the pins. The photo shows this condition.

And...IT WORKS!!! Didnt expect it... 😲

DSC_0200r.jpg
Filename
DSC_0200r.jpg
File size
643.28 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
DSC_0201r.jpg
Filename
DSC_0201r.jpg
File size
205.62 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 18563 of 52811, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
hard1k wrote:
HO HO HO This year Santa has visited me rather early, and I must have been a really good boy as he brought me a complete-in-box […]
Show full quote

HO HO HO
This year Santa has visited me rather early, and I must have been a really good boy as he brought me a complete-in-box Creative 3D Blaster VLB - with all original accessories, tested and fully working 😀
Please have a look at the pictures taken by the previous owner (actually I haven't found any pics of the complete package on the net, so I could easily be the first one to upload them here):
TOsQecfl.jpg
J5fO4tul.jpg
sUGQaGsl.jpg

Of course, in order to preserve the mystery the conditions of the deal will be kept confidential.
I guess I'll have to take on the quest for the unobtainable RAM upgrade module - has anyone actually seen one of those out in the wild? Any picture / part number / anything else?

Wait... a VLB 3D accelerator? I didn't know those existed back then. Must be rare.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 18564 of 52811, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
hard1k wrote:

HO HO HO
This year Santa has visited me rather early, and I must have been a really good boy as he brought me a complete-in-box Creative 3D Blaster VLB - with all original accessories, tested and fully working

😲

bjwil1991 wrote:

Wait... a VLB 3D accelerator? I didn't know those existed back then. Must be rare.

Yeah, I believe they are quite rare. vetz did a few videos about the 3D Blaster VLB a while back if I'm not mistaken.

Reply 18565 of 52811, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bare cards may appear on eBay once or twice a year, usually sell for $300+, however a boxed one is very rare indeed. Much rarer than a boxed Adlib Gold in the recent years. This one should have finally ended up on eBay but I've been lucky enough to intercept it on its way there, local forums are the best for these things 😀

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)

Reply 18567 of 52811, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Predator99 wrote:
Received a lot of nice 486/586 boards and cards...maybe some photos later ;-) […]
Show full quote

Along with one CPU at the bottom of the carton...never seen such bad condition. Didnt made a photo of its initial state. Very dirty and almost all pins bent. Unfortunately also some pins missing.
I was thinking about throwing it away but then gave it a try...I cleaned it with Ethanol+Toothbrush and straightend the pins. The photo shows this condition.

DSC_0200r.jpg
DSC_0201r.jpg

Works without the missing pins??

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 18568 of 52811, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote:
Predator99 wrote:
Received a lot of nice 486/586 boards and cards...maybe some photos later ;-) […]
Show full quote

DSC_0200r.jpg
DSC_0201r.jpg

Works without the missing pins??

Believe it or not...yes, without the pins! Partially...

I put it in a board that was also in the lot and it powered up and I was able to change BIOS settings and so on. But I was not able to get it booting from my CF. CF was detected, but it gave me the error message to insert a system disk.
As I was unsure that the CPU with the missing pins was the reason I removed it again. By doing so I noticed that it lost another pin. I replaced it with a working P100 and it booted up without problems...

This behaviour does not make much sense indeed...

Reply 18569 of 52811, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jade Falcon wrote:

wow!

Anyway I recently got (not quite retro yet) a C0 (meh) QX9650 and a 8gb kit of ocz platinum ddr21066mhz 5-5-5-12 ram. I do also have a 2gb kit of OCZ 1200mhz 5-5-5-15 ddr2.

That OCZ is absolute garbage on all but the latest LGA775 chipsets. For whatever reason my EVGA 680I SLI detects my kit as 667MHz when it's a 4GB 1066 kit running in tandem with another 1066 kit. I even tried manually setting my RAM to it's rated speed and it didn't work. The most I can get out of it so far is 850 which is disappointing.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 18570 of 52811, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
hard1k wrote:
Show full quote

HO HO HO
TOsQecfl.jpg
J5fO4tul.jpg
sUGQaGsl.jpg

Sweet.... Great catch. Congrats. 😀

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 18571 of 52811, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not sure if a car part counts or not, but I purchased a radio that's similar to the stock radio I have in my oldsmobile intrigue, but with different features and functions. RDS for syncing the clock over the radio waves in FM mode only, 6 presets, and 2 eject buttons (one for the tape deck and the other for the CD player). For $7.99

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 18572 of 52811, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
Jade Falcon wrote:

wow!

That OCZ is absolute garbage on all but the latest LGA775 chipsets. For whatever reason my EVGA 680I SLI detects my kit as 667MHz when it's a 4GB 1066 kit running in tandem with another 1066 kit. I even tried manually setting my RAM to it's rated speed and it didn't work. The most I can get out of it so far is 850 which is disappointing.

They are not garbage at all, infcat its some of the best ddr2 out there. Its your shitty evga board that's garbage.
And this is coming from someone thats owned boxes upon boxes of high end ddr2 ram trays. 100 sticks per tray. And dozens od 775 systems. Infact i had just about every high end 775 board out there.

Reply 18573 of 52811, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
Jade Falcon wrote:

wow!

1) 1066MHz kits need higher voltage (2,1V - 2,3V)
2) Because of 4 sticks required for 8GB of RAM, DIMMs are packed close (which rises temps).
3) Too hot ram = BSODs, same goes for chipset (which needs to take care of them)
4) OC-ing 8GB of DDR2 is hard on LGA 775 (regardless of chipset used).
Everything boils down to IMC and how far can you push it with higher voltage without stability problems caused by temps.
Doing 1000MHz+ on 8GB DDR2 (4x2GB), is simply too hard for most boards (chipset/RAM cooling isn't good enough).
5) Kits are detected accoring to SPD JEDEC porofiles. If fastest profile is 667MHz it will be loaded by default. Use EPP profiles on NV chipsets to get advertised speed.
6) OCZ kits can be tricky for Auto BIOS settings

Last edited by agent_x007 on 2017-08-24, 23:04. Edited 1 time in total.

157143230295.png

Reply 18574 of 52811, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
hard1k wrote:
Show full quote

HO HO HO
TOsQecfl.jpg
J5fO4tul.jpg
sUGQaGsl.jpg

So cool! But the thing I don't get is why does it have two VGA ports and a passthrough cable. I mean, it does both 2D and 3D, right?

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 18575 of 52811, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It does 2D only in Windows (acting as GUI-accelerator), for that the drivers should be loaded. For all other 2D functions (DOS, etc.) it needs a separate 2D videocard, and yes, it passes the VGA signal through. The difference with 3Dfx cards in this very case is merely physical - while 3Dfx used 1 female and 1 male ports, this thing used 2 female ones.

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)

Reply 18576 of 52811, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Predator99 wrote:
Show full quote

DSC_0200r.jpg
DSC_0201r.jpg

It misses 3 VCC2 pins, 1 VSS pin, 1 reserved pin, 1 BRDYC pin, 1 PCD pin and 1 PCHK pin.
Missing VCC2, VSS and reserved pins is not big deal. BRDYC pin is a copy of BRDY pin so kind of OK to miss it, too. PCD is related to caching and PCHK is related to parity, so it might work if the onboard cache and parity are disabled.

Reply 18577 of 52811, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Haven't posted in awhile, been busy. Here are some goodies.

Asus GeForce FX5950 Ultra 256MB AGP. The right fan is a little rattling, but works.
bbQZC87.jpg

Diamond Viper V550 (TNT) 16MB PCI. Looks VERY different from the AGP V550.
doAeYYb.jpg

Hercules Prophet Radeon 9700 Pro. Had some issues in 3D. I reapplied thermal paste and works great now.
wjeSMnw.jpg

Pentium Pro 200 MHz 1MB Cache.
tvd6suO.jpg

And finally... Visiontek GeForce 256 (NV10) DDR 32MB. 120/150 stock clocks. Memory is rated for 166. I think DVI out is somewhat unusual for this card. The fan is very rattling... anyone know what type of fan to search for on eBay? I need to buy a new one.
Am3Rsid.jpg

Reply 18578 of 52811, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dexvx wrote:
Haven't posted in awhile, been busy. Here are some goodies. […]
Show full quote

Haven't posted in awhile, been busy. Here are some goodies.

And finally... Visiontek GeForce 256 (NV10) DDR 32MB. 120/150 stock clocks. Memory is rated for 166. I think DVI out is somewhat unusual for this card. The fan is very rattling... anyone know what type of fan to search for on eBay? I need to buy a new one.
Am3Rsid.jpg

I thought NV's dual head support starts from GF2MX.

Reply 18579 of 52811, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Couldn't resist these at a 2nd hand shop. Techmoan just released his Walkman video, so expecting these to be worth gold any moment now. 😜

walkmen.jpg
Filename
walkmen.jpg
File size
316.95 KiB
Views
File license

Hard to tell from the pic but the WM-F43 (left) is *mint*. Seriously it looks like it was manufactured yesterday. The other two are in great shape as well.

Not quite as bombastic as a boxed 3D Blaster VLB, but cool nonetheless.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!