Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 18580 of 52999, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xjas wrote:
Couldn't resist these at a 2nd hand shop. Techmoan just released his Walkman video, so expecting these to be worth gold any mome […]
Show full quote

Couldn't resist these at a 2nd hand shop. Techmoan just released his Walkman video, so expecting these to be worth gold any moment now. 😜

walkmen.jpg

Hard to tell from the pic but the WM-F43 (left) is *mint*. Seriously it looks like it was manufactured yesterday. The other two are in great shape as well.

Not quite as bombastic as a boxed 3D Blaster VLB, but cool nonetheless.

Is that an equalizer on the left one?

XPS 466V|486-DX2|64MB|#9 GXE 1MB|SB32 PnP
Presario 4814|PMMX-233|128MB|Trio64
XPS R450|PII-450|384MB|TNT2 Pro| TB Montego
XPS B1000r|PIII-1GHz|512MB|GF2 PRO 64MB|SB Live!
XPS Gen2|P4 EE 3.4|2GB|GF 6800 GT OC|Audigy 2

Reply 18581 of 52999, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yep, 3-band EQ. Classic mechanical sliders. 😀

EDIT: turns out both the tape players need new belts, but I kind of expected that. Part of the fun of oldschool tech.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 18582 of 52999, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jade Falcon wrote:
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
Jade Falcon wrote:

wow!

Anyway I recently got (not quite retro yet) a C0 (meh) QX9650 and a 8gb kit of ocz platinum ddr21066mhz 5-5-5-12 ram. I do also have a 2gb kit of OCZ 1200mhz 5-5-5-15 ddr2.

That OCZ is absolute garbage on all but the latest LGA775 chipsets. For whatever reason my EVGA 680I SLI detects my kit as 667MHz when it's a 4GB 1066 kit running in tandem with another 1066 kit. I even tried manually setting my RAM to it's rated speed and it didn't work. The most I can get out of it so far is 850 which is disappointing.

They are not garbage at all, infcat its some of the best ddr2 out there. Its your shitty evga board that's garbage.
And this is coming from someone thats owned boxes upon boxes of high end ddr2 ram trays. 100 sticks per tray. And dozens od 775 systems. Infact i had just about every high end 775 board out there.

That shitty EVGA is doing pretty good considering its my main with an E8400 {Temporary, searching for a QX6850), 8GB RAM, a Full Blown R9 290 4GB (I had an ASUS P5N-D that is newer and wouldn't work with this card), 4 hard drives, 2 CD ROMs, and a hot swap bay. Not to mention my XFi Extreme Audio sound card. All that and it's not even the 2nd revision, it's a revision 1.

Do 680i boards have issues with 2.1v RAM or something? I don't think it's the board but that does make me wonder if my EVGA 500w White PSU it's a bit too weak for my usages.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 18583 of 52999, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
lazibayer wrote:
Predator99 wrote:
Received a lot of nice 486/586 boards and cards...maybe some photos later ;-) […]
Show full quote

Received a lot of nice 486/586 boards and cards...maybe some photos later 😉

Along with one CPU at the bottom of the carton...never seen such bad condition. Didnt made a photo of its initial state. Very dirty and almost all pins bent. Unfortunately also some pins missing.
I was thinking about throwing it away but then gave it a try...I cleaned it with Ethanol+Toothbrush and straightend the pins. The photo shows this condition.

And...IT WORKS!!! Didnt expect it... 😲

DSC_0200r.jpg
DSC_0201r.jpg

It misses 3 VCC2 pins, 1 VSS pin, 1 reserved pin, 1 BRDYC pin, 1 PCD pin and 1 PCHK pin.
Missing VCC2, VSS and reserved pins is not big deal. BRDYC pin is a copy of BRDY pin so kind of OK to miss it, too. PCD is related to caching and PCHK is related to parity, so it might work if the onboard cache and parity are disabled.

Thanks for finding out - this was also my task for today 😎

Reply 18584 of 52999, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dexvx wrote:
Haven't posted in awhile, been busy. Here are some goodies. […]
Show full quote

Haven't posted in awhile, been busy. Here are some goodies.

<snip>

Diamond Viper V550 (TNT) 16MB PCI. Looks VERY different from the AGP V550.
doAeYYb.jpg

<snip>

Pentium Pro 200 MHz 1MB Cache.
tvd6suO.jpg

<snip>

The fan/heatsink on the Viper look like a replacement, that would also explain the wires being soldered on.

I like the look of those black PPro's. But the gold top ones are pretty too 😀

1982 to 2001

Reply 18585 of 52999, by Batyra

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Postman just brought me this.
AWE64 Gold CT4390 (hehe on box there is SB4390) - still sealed (and it will stay that way).
AWE64 Value CT4500 - unfortunate not sealed... so less value on this Value...

Attachments

• BATYRA_AWE64.jpg
    Filename
    BATYRA_AWE64.jpg
    File size
    277.3 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    AWE64 Gold and AWE64 Value
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Visit my website: http://www.collection.batyra.pl

Reply 18586 of 52999, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dexvx wrote:

The fan is very rattling... anyone know what type of fan to search for on eBay? I need to buy a new one.

You can apply identical fan from GeForce 2 GTS/Pro, Radeon 256/7500/8500/9000 or some Diamond cards. This fan model is very common. Or try to fix it with silicon oil.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 18587 of 52999, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
lazibayer wrote:

I thought NV's dual head support starts from GF2MX.

That is true, NV10 supports only one independent screen. But you can choose whether to connect your display via VGA or DVI.

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 18588 of 52999, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
havli wrote:

That is true, NV10 supports only one independent screen. But you can choose whether to connect your display via VGA or DVI.

Thanks for the clarification. So what if you plug one monitor to each port? Will one stay blank? Or will they show the same screen?
I have a FireGL2 card that has VGA and DVI ports as well but physically you can't plug in two connectors at the same time.

Reply 18589 of 52999, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
Jade Falcon wrote:
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

That OCZ is absolute garbage on all but the latest LGA775 chipsets. For whatever reason my EVGA 680I SLI detects my kit as 667MHz when it's a 4GB 1066 kit running in tandem with another 1066 kit. I even tried manually setting my RAM to it's rated speed and it didn't work. The most I can get out of it so far is 850 which is disappointing.

They are not garbage at all, infcat its some of the best ddr2 out there. Its your shitty evga board that's garbage.
And this is coming from someone thats owned boxes upon boxes of high end ddr2 ram trays. 100 sticks per tray. And dozens od 775 systems. Infact i had just about every high end 775 board out there.

That shitty EVGA is doing pretty good considering its my main with an E8400 {Temporary, searching for a QX6850), 8GB RAM, a Full Blown R9 290 4GB (I had an ASUS P5N-D that is newer and wouldn't work with this card), 4 hard drives, 2 CD ROMs, and a hot swap bay. Not to mention my XFi Extreme Audio sound card. All that and it's not even the 2nd revision, it's a revision 1.

Do 680i boards have issues with 2.1v RAM or something? I don't think it's the board but that does make me wonder if my EVGA 500w White PSU it's a bit too weak for my usages.

I haven't had to many 680i boards, but from the ones I had I never had a problem with 2.1 or 2.2v ram in them, 2gb stick on the other hand was hit or miss.
The 500w it pushing it, I would upgrade to a 650w or better of your going to side grade to a QX6850. Why not an E0 stepping q9650 or something? the QX6850 is a first gen c2q and qx don't OC all that well without a board with a very strong VRM and over the top cooling.

Reply 18590 of 52999, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
agent_x007 wrote:
1) 1066MHz kits need higher voltage (2,1V - 2,3V) 2) Because of 4 sticks required for 8GB of RAM, DIMMs are packed close (which […]
Show full quote
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
Jade Falcon wrote:

wow!

Anyway I recently got (not quite retro yet) a C0 (meh) QX9650 and a 8gb kit of ocz platinum ddr21066mhz 5-5-5-12 ram. I do also have a 2gb kit of OCZ 1200mhz 5-5-5-15 ddr2.

1) 1066MHz kits need higher voltage (2,1V - 2,3V)
2) Because of 4 sticks required for 8GB of RAM, DIMMs are packed close (which rises temps).
3) Too hot ram = BSODs, same goes for chipset (which needs to take care of them)
4) OC-ing 8GB of DDR2 is hard on LGA 775 (regardless of chipset used).
Everything boils down to IMC and how far can you push it with higher voltage without stability problems caused by temps.
Doing 1000MHz+ on 8GB DDR2 (4x2GB), is simply too hard for most boards (chipset/RAM cooling isn't good enough).
5) Kits are detected accoring to SPD JEDEC porofiles. If fastest profile is 667MHz it will be loaded by default. Use EPP profiles on NV chipsets to get advertised speed.
6) OCZ kits can be tricky for Auto BIOS settings

Some very good points there. Higher end DDR2 did run hot and the hole JEDEC and EPP profiles can make things tricky. And most boards don't even support 8gb or ram to begin with. p45 and x38/x48 are really the boards you want for 8gb of ram on a 775 system. but most good ones will work with it, just need to keep the NB and ram cool and tweak the bios a bit on some boards. Even ddr3 boards had problems with 8gb of ram.

Reply 18591 of 52999, by Batyra

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just got this:
Suepr Socket 7 Asus P5A rev 1.04 - so it should work with K6+ CPUs without problems.

Attachments

• Batyra_AsusP5A_104.jpg
    Filename
    Batyra_AsusP5A_104.jpg
    File size
    703.71 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Batyra Asus P5A
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Visit my website: http://www.collection.batyra.pl

Reply 18592 of 52999, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

680i only supports 65NM quads. I use the machine for light gaming (newish titles at Medium High or so) and for that even a low end quad is enough since modern games are heavily GPU bound. I need to install the chipset fan of my other (dead) 680i onto this one and swap in that ridiculous Zalmann turbine cooler I received a while back too.

I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 18593 of 52999, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Dohh I forgot about that, Wasn't there a bios mod for the evga board? I do know most 680i and 650i boards need a volt mod to get 45mn quads stable.

Also got a NOS Asus silver DVD drive and a NOS Crucial ram cooler fan thingy. Ram fan I think they called them. I'll have to paint it silver as its back and a black part would look odd in a silver case. all that's left for a 775 system is a psu (will need 1600w) and a few water cooling parts.

Reply 18594 of 52999, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
lazibayer wrote:
havli wrote:

Thanks for the clarification. So what if you plug one monitor to each port? Will one stay blank? Or will they show the same screen?
I have a FireGL2 card that has VGA and DVI ports as well but physically you can't plug in two connectors at the same time.

Good question, honestly - I'm not sure. There it a possibility both screens will show the same image (cloning) or only one will be active - most likely VGA is considered primary.

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 18595 of 52999, by cj_reha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Went to a computer shop near where my father used to own a storefront (and where he bought one of his first work PCs, a Celeron 533MHz) and asked if they had any old stuff in the back. The way he worded it sounded like they had a lot, but usually year-2000 ish stuff.

It was a bit of an awkward conversation, and I could tell the employee was a little confused. But my dad was friends with the owner, maybe I could ask him sometime.

Anyways he gave me this Gigabyte GA-7ZX v5.1 socket A board with unknown CPU. I don't know if it works yet, but it looks interesting as it has a header for an ISA slot.

Attachments

Join the Retro PC Discord! - https://discord.gg/UKAFchB
My YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDJYB_ZDsIzXGZz6J0txgCA

Reply 18596 of 52999, by martin939

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The blue PCB makes it look much younger than it actually is 😀 I was kinda surprised when I looked up the specs - SDRAM and "only" AGP x4

Maybe it has a nice Duron on it. At least it doesn't have bulged caps, that's already a win 🤣

Reply 18597 of 52999, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
hard1k wrote:

The difference with 3Dfx cards in this very case is merely physical - while 3Dfx used 1 female and 1 male ports, this thing used 2 female ones.

Much like my Creative Videoblaster MP 400. Two of the same gender on the ports.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 18598 of 52999, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dexvx wrote:
Diamond Viper V550 (TNT) 16MB PCI. Looks VERY different from the AGP V550. http://i.imgur.com/doAeYYb.jpg […]
Show full quote

Diamond Viper V550 (TNT) 16MB PCI. Looks VERY different from the AGP V550.
doAeYYb.jpg

And a quite capeable one for what it is. I was really surprised how it performed, when I ran 3D-Mark99 on my card.
I do not see that many of those here on Vogons.
By the way... The V550 has an excellent vga signal quality. Extremely clear and chrisp ouput. Perfect for V1 and V2.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 18599 of 52999, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jade Falcon wrote:

Dohh I forgot about that, Wasn't there a bios mod for the evga board? I do know most 680i and 650i boards need a volt mod to get 45mn quads stable.

Also got a NOS Asus silver DVD drive and a NOS Crucial ram cooler fan thingy. Ram fan I think they called them. I'll have to paint it silver as its back and a black part would look odd in a silver case. all that's left for a 775 system is a psu (will need 1600w) and a few water cooling parts.

What on Earth are you building that needs 1.6kV of power?