Topic actions

Reply 18780 of 52743, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
blurks wrote:
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

Zalman CFNS-9000 (I think the model number is that.). I own one. It's an LGA775/1151 cooler. They have after market brackets for a bunch of sockets though i suspect you have the 1151 brackets or AM2 brackets. It's a good solid cooler.

Wow... really? A full quote for this short answer!?

I know, it triggered me too.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 18781 of 52743, by Eleanor1967

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Went to a local flee market today. Picked these things up for a total of 15€, the soundcard was just 3 bucks. My first ever PS2 games (better late than never I guess. Also I remember playing these games as a kid.), this fancy looking USB Floppy, and a Spea Media FX, which is an exact copy of the Ensoniq Soundscape S-2000 if I’m not mistaken.

I was quite excited about this card, since it is my first Soundscape, but sadly it doesn't do anything. I installed it in my 486 along side an Audician 32 Plus for some real OPL, but the card doesn't get detected. After turning the PC off, the card is a little warm so it is doing something at least. I just washed the Soundscape and know it is sitting in the kitchen and dries. I guess a task for tomorrow is putting my Maestro 32/96 back in and going through the hell which is the driver suite for this card.

PS: It triggerd me too.

Attachments

Reply 18782 of 52743, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Eleanor1967 wrote:

Went to a local flee market today. Picked these things up for a total of 15€, the soundcard was just 3 bucks. My first ever PS2 games (better late than never I guess. Also I remember playing these games as a kid.), this fancy looking USB Floppy, and a Spea Media FX, which is an exact copy of the Ensoniq Soundscape S-2000 if I’m not mistaken.

I was quite excited about this card, since it is my first Soundscape, but sadly it doesn't do anything. I installed it in my 486 along side an Audician 32 Plus for some real OPL, but the card doesn't get detected. After turning the PC off, the card is a little warm so it is doing something at least. I just washed the Soundscape and know it is sitting in the kitchen and dries. I guess a task for tomorrow is putting my Maestro 32/96 back in and going through the hell which is the driver suite for this card.

PS: It triggerd me too.

Nice USB floppy drive there. I have the exact same model which my dad bought when it was brand new, because he had no use for it he gave it to me, it's the only floppy drive that boots on some of my older USB-only machines that refuse to take my Latitude D-series floppy module.

Reply 18783 of 52743, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
blurks wrote:
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

Zalman CFNS-9000 (I think the model number is that.). I own one. It's an LGA775/1151 cooler. They have after market brackets for a bunch of sockets though i suspect you have the 1151 brackets or AM2 brackets. It's a good solid cooler.

Wow... really? A full quote for this short answer!?

Huhh!!!! 😳 I don't see a problem with that. Why? Just asking...

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 18784 of 52743, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
Almoststew1990 wrote:
Today was a good day! […]
Show full quote

Today was a good day!

o2glZ8U.png

I saw an add for a job lot of old hardware for a measly 5 of our British pounds (equivalent to about one and a half Costa coffees) with a low quality picture of 'stuff' on a bed, but it included a picture of a motherboard with what looked like an AGO slot, so I gave it a go as it was only 10 minutes up the road. This is what I came back with.
fMH3AGSh.jpg

Bag 1 contained a blue tray of stuff. In reverse order of interesting-ness:
LQJ1VIBh.jpg

7 uninteresting networking cards such including a modem, ethernet, 'G' wifi and a firewire cards.
eSSJbPNh.jpg

A TV tuner card - not sure what use this has these days?
CWgCMCth.jpg

A couple of basic CMI soundcards
0V8MJQAh.jpg

A PCI controller card for SATA and IDE
8UCnvOph.jpg

4 cooling fans; Left to right a Zalman 370/A cooler which I am excited about
A giant cooler for not sure what socket?
A surprisingly heavy Coolermaster Socket A/370 cooler
A naff lightweight socket A/370 cooler
rZQq8CUh.jpg

A lifetime supply of DDR memory, mostly 256MB DDR333MHz, and a single stick of SDR RAM
Mu7ZBknh.jpg

A 9500PRO 128MB
dddTDPuh.jpg

A Geforce MX200 32MB
br3jDZih.jpg

A GeForce FX5500 256MB
cI62iAYh.jpg

A mystery graphics card - any ideas? I'm nervous about taking off the heatsink as it is not held in place by screws or pins, it is just... glued on? Around the back it has "V32316" but I also see a tiny 3DFX logo so now I am very interested!A vooodoo 3 as it only has one output?
KKffuuVh.jpg

Bag 2 contained an MSI Socket A motherboard with even more bloody DDR memory and a dirty Athlon 2600
oh0ySFeh.jpg

Bag 3 contained a lifetime supply of yellowed IDE cables which doesn't need a picture.

I also got an Philips PC case as well.
6aRPOqJh.jpg

I still need to test it all but otherwise very pleased for £5!

£5? Wow. That aside putting a heatsink in the same box as a cards. Thats not a good idea.

Edit:
Anyone triggered?

Reply 18787 of 52743, by cj_reha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My scroll wheel is suffering 🤣

Join the Retro PC Discord! - https://discord.gg/UKAFchB
My YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDJYB_ZDsIzXGZz6J0txgCA

Reply 18789 of 52743, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Almoststew1990 wrote:

The motherboard and Athlon POST fine. It is an MSI K7N2 (MS-6570). It does indeed have a 12v input! I take it this is good for a power hungry Athlon?

Its good for any athlon. Most s462 boards use the 5V rail for CPU power and modern PSUs juat dont have strong 5V rails anymore.

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 18790 of 52743, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
brostenen wrote:

Quoting a post that contains a stack of images and making everyone scroll through them all again for zero purpose is lazy and annoying - some forums automatically strip pics out of quotes which is the way to go I think.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 18791 of 52743, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ completely agree... just snip if you are to quote a post with a bazilion pics and keep only what's relevant , it's not rocket science...
also RESIZE your damn pics , not a rocket science as well - noone needs to see a 4K blurry picture of a CF->IDE installation

use your common sense people , I am pretty sure all of you have it.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 18793 of 52743, by probnot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Azarien wrote:

It would be nice if this website automatically scaled pictures to current window size (with the possibility to right-click and open/download in full-res).

Imgur has a great option to give you a small, medium or large thumbnail to use in bb posts. The link will show the full image for whoever wants it. I've been use the large size in my posts recently.

Reply 18794 of 52743, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
Azarien wrote:

It would be nice if this website automatically scaled pictures to current window size (with the possibility to right-click and open/download in full-res).

Tgis is why we should all use the image attachment as opposed to uploading photos elsewhere.

Reply 18795 of 52743, by voodoo5_6k

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jade Falcon wrote:
Azarien wrote:

Tgis is why we should all use the image attachment as opposed to uploading photos elsewhere.

I agree. In addition, there is the big advantage that image files aren't lost over time. If you browse through old threads you'll see that many externally hosted images already are no longer available. This really diminishes the value of old threads and sometimes makes information incomplete or almost useless because the visual part of it is gone. In order to preserve information for the future readers, everybody should consider uploading using the attachment function (and shouldn't delete those attachments later on).

END OF LINE.

Reply 18796 of 52743, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
badmojo wrote:
brostenen wrote:

Quoting a post that contains a stack of images and making everyone scroll through them all again for zero purpose is lazy and annoying - some forums automatically strip pics out of quotes which is the way to go I think.

Shure it is slightly annoying. I just don't see a reason for calling someone out on it.
Guess I am thick-skinned. Yeah.... Just remember that we have seen far, far, far worse here.
Than some quoting that I see no reason for wasting your energy on calling out.

Just saying...

EDIT:
My suggestion here, would be just to PM the person you have any beef with, and kindly explain that you
feel that it is a bit annoying. Ask the person to edit the post, and explain that you might not be the
only person that feel the same way as you do.

Azarien wrote:

I have seen Asp.net C# code behind, that can be hooked up on buttons, wich makes you choose what resolution
the picture you are going to post, will end up as. And I have seen C# code that automatically resizes to predefined resolution.
As this is PHP, then I do not know if it is possible. Yet I suspect that it can be done some way or another.

Another solution would be that when quoting, it removes the image, then posting the picture as a button, if too many pictures
are present in the quote. I guess it is only a question of doing the math correctly. You know... Greater or smaller...
Then you could actually, via some kind of script, be able to enable each picture if desired so, when you read the quote.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 18797 of 52743, by Mut

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Bought on a flea market yesterday

Creative Geforce 2 Ultra
8 Bit Isa proprietary cd interface
Geforce 7800 GS AGP (Lots of badcaps)
Asus SP97-V + some memory + Pentium 233 MMX
Creative dvd decoder card
Asus Sabertooth X58 (some corrosion, probably the old owner lived near a beach)
Trident 9000 ISA

Attachments

• 20170904_095506.jpg
    Filename
    20170904_095506.jpg
    File size
    122.96 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • 20170904_095525.jpg
    Filename
    20170904_095525.jpg
    File size
    102.68 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 20170904_095548.jpg
    Filename
    20170904_095548.jpg
    File size
    126.56 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 20170904_095521.jpg
    Filename
    20170904_095521.jpg
    File size
    114.96 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 20170904_095457.jpg
    Filename
    20170904_095457.jpg
    File size
    138.88 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 18798 of 52743, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Robin4 wrote:
386_junkie wrote:
dacow wrote:

I agree with dirkmirk, thats an insane price for a boxed video card of any sort!

Insane yes.. though they are out there, for just $0.96 cents more ($5.95)... I picked up this boxed ISA 2MB STB Nitro 64: -

STB Nitro 64 2MB boxed w/ drivers & manuals

Can you upload these driver disks to vogonsdrivers.com ?

How do I do this? Can anyone just upload to there?

Thanks

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks

Reply 18799 of 52743, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi guys, newcomer here.

So, few weeks ago, I somehow found out, that I really need to build some retro machine. I don't know, when it came from, but this feel was so urge, that I went through some old parts laying in my home, and start looking for missing parts. I went with Socket 775, cause I want to build Windows XP era machine, with possibility of using Windows 98 as well. And because I culpable miss whole AGP era, even though I'm in PC building since 486 era, choice of motherboards was clearly given.

But first, I pick up graphics card. Since I'm huge ATi/AMD fan, and I like to tinker with things, I went with (proper, 256-bit L-shaped) Radeon 9500 for 13€, with intention to unlock it to 9700.

9500.jpg

Then I went for motherboard. At first, I was bidding for ASRock ConRoe865PE, but some clearly crazy guy want it really hard, and I wasn't go to beat his 121€ bid. So then I focus my attention on ASRock 4CoeDual-SATA2, which I won for 15,5€.

4CoreDual.jpg

It came with 2GB of DDR2 RAM, Core 2 Duo E6420 and GeForce GT240.

GT240.jpg

CPU, which it came with isn't bad, but since motherboard supports C2Q, why not went completely over kill? So even before I was going to but for ConRoe board, I bought C2Q Q6600 for 11,5$, with B3 stepping.

[img]hhttps://srandista.kirril.com/PC/Q6600.jpg[/img]

Rest of components for successful build I already have, but there is still one thing, which is on the way, but I'll show it, once it rings on my doorbell 😀 Hopefully, I will be soon able to present you finished build in some other thread.

Last edited by Srandista on 2021-01-30, 22:28. Edited 1 time in total.

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - Chaintech CT-7AIA, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT, ESS ES1869F, Win 98