VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 18900 of 52813, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sarcasm aside, yes the hyperdrive "mod" is something pretty damn cool. Apparently you would take your expensive and fragile compact mac, send it to new york, they do the modifications, and send it back.

I'll do a separate video on it, as it doesn't seem to work at the moment. At least in initial testing. Basically they crammed a 2nd psu, fan, and a hard drive into the Plus chassis. I had a peek, and it IS NOT SCSI. Surprised the fudge out of me. So there has to be some sort of board inside that is connecting a 3.5" MFM hard drive to a system with ZERO add-in support. Should be fun!

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 18901 of 52813, by psychz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sharp PC-4600

CPU: NEC V40 @ 10MHz (i80188 compatible)
FDD: 2x 3.5" Double Density
No HDD, monochrome LCD

Tested with a DOS 3.3 boot disk, appears to work fine. The display is in perfect condition despite its age (not the case with the MiTAC I got a few weeks prior). Suggest me some software as I have no experience with PC/XT-alike systems 🤣 Already got IBM's game disk (with Alley Cat 😁 ), Frogger and Psion Chess!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    Filename
    1.jpg
    File size
    139.83 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • 2.jpg
    Filename
    2.jpg
    File size
    119.42 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 3.jpg
    Filename
    3.jpg
    File size
    150.69 KiB
    Views
    File license
Stojke wrote:

Its not like components found in trash after 20 years in rain dont still work flawlessly.

:: chemical reaction :: athens in love || reality is absent || spectrality || meteoron || the lie you believe

Reply 18902 of 52813, by cj_reha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
xplus93 wrote:

does the one in the middle have an internal HD?

No. It has an orbital hard drive....

Where else would it be? Lmao

There were external hard drives made for Macs using the external SCSI port.

Join the Retro PC Discord! - https://discord.gg/UKAFchB
My YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDJYB_ZDsIzXGZz6J0txgCA

Reply 18903 of 52813, by stoof

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
luckybob wrote:

Sarcasm aside, yes the hyperdrive "mod" is something pretty damn cool. Apparently you would take your expensive and fragile compact mac, send it to new york, they do the modifications, and send it back.

I'll do a separate video on it, as it doesn't seem to work at the moment. At least in initial testing. Basically they crammed a 2nd psu, fan, and a hard drive into the Plus chassis. I had a peek, and it IS NOT SCSI. Surprised the fudge out of me. So there has to be some sort of board inside that is connecting a 3.5" MFM hard drive to a system with ZERO add-in support. Should be fun!

I had a look into the hyperdrive, as one is for sale locally (albeit too expensive). Apparently they connect directly to the CPU with some funky connection. Also the added fan is supposedly helping a lot with the otherwise common overheating.

TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
xplus93 wrote:

does the one in the middle have an internal HD?

No. It has an orbital hard drive....

Where else would it be? Lmao

Those computers did not have an option for internal hard drives from factory, so xplus93's question is legit.

Reply 18904 of 52813, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The SE in the picture was the first compact mac with an internal hard drive from factory. a crappy 20mb one, but a hard disk.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 18905 of 52813, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I couldn't help it and had to hit the BIN on this Powerramp stick. I already have one, but this one was basically NIB. I didn't have the manual and install disk, which aren't necessary to use this stick, but they're nice to have.

In case you haven't heard of this stick, it's basically a keyboard, with all of the buttons mapped to specific keys. It's programmable too, but I haven't messed around with that function. It's perfect for Descent.

The only downside is that the ball on the stick has developed that old-plastic-decomposing-sticky state.

IMG_0622.JPG
Filename
IMG_0622.JPG
File size
1.85 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 18906 of 52813, by mv_cz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Bought two pieces of Kouwell ATA133 PCI adapter, new in box, about $10 each. I remember having it sometimes in the days of late AthlonXP era, the raid version of the controller is easy flashable to non-raid version (and vice versa) and I was using it that way to connect my CD burners back in the days.

DSC02863.JPG
Filename
DSC02863.JPG
File size
527.54 KiB
Views
File license
DSC02864.JPG
Filename
DSC02864.JPG
File size
583.16 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 18907 of 52813, by Pabloz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The hunt of the day
$22 dollars for everything. only cared about the voodoo3 2000 pci, because i always wanted a pci for an older motherboard, so fucking hard to find a voodoo3 PCI card. And each 512mb pc133 stick is awesome for my retro pentium 3 motherboard.

so
voodoo3 2000 PCI
diamond viper v770 AGP
Compaq PWA-G4000PRO (Riva TNT2 PRO 16MB) AGP
2 sis 6326 cards agp
1gb ram PC133

20170910_222516.jpg
20170910_222946.jpg

Reply 18908 of 52813, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:

I hope you get it working. That's a pretty rare and awesome system. Worth at least four times what you paid by itself.

XPS 466V|486-DX2|64MB|#9 GXE 1MB|SB32 PnP
Presario 4814|PMMX-233|128MB|Trio64
XPS R450|PII-450|384MB|TNT2 Pro| TB Montego
XPS B1000r|PIII-1GHz|512MB|GF2 PRO 64MB|SB Live!
XPS Gen2|P4 EE 3.4|2GB|GF 6800 GT OC|Audigy 2

Reply 18909 of 52813, by fitzpatr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just won this on eBay. Sadly, shipping is quite high, probably due to the Thrustmaster T2
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-Vintage-PC-Gam … d-/222633744180

The prize of the bunch, at least to me, is the boxed, complete, Sierra Screamin' 3D (Rendition Verite v1000)!

I can find no record of any for sale, so I don't know how much they sell for. They are clearly fairly uncommon.

Attachments

• eBay Haul.jpg
    Filename
    eBay Haul.jpg
    File size
    309.97 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Thrustmaster Formula T2, Microsoft Sidewinder 3D Pro, Sierra Screamin' 3D, and other games.
    File license

MT-32 Old, CM-32L, CM-500, SC-55mkII, SC-88Pro, SC-D70, FB-01, MU2000EX
K6-III+/450/GA-5AX/G400 Max/Voodoo2 SLI/CT1750/MPU-401AT/Audigy 2ZS
486 Build

Reply 18910 of 52813, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That Quake II seems like such a off-topic among those other games 😀

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - Chaintech CT-7AIA, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT, ESS ES1869F, Win 98

Reply 18911 of 52813, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

^^ Neat! Never heard of a Sierra graphics card before. I'm guessing they just licenced their name to it and had little to do with its development or marketing, ~1996-1997 being the height of their "get cash input any way we can" phase. Would be interesting to know how that card came about; I don't really associate them with 3D accellerate-able stuff (Dynamix yes, Sierra no.)

I actually bought back one of my old PCs today. 😜 Not a huge fan of these highly integrated late socket 370 chipsets, but it's a 1GHz Celeron (yes, Tualatin) with an ISA slot on a nice compact board. I sold it off a couple years ago because I was only messing with older stuff at the time & had no use for it, but now have something in mind. 😉 Shame there's no AGP but I can deal with that.

1ghz1.jpg
Filename
1ghz1.jpg
File size
56.03 KiB
Views
File license
1ghz2.jpg
Filename
1ghz2.jpg
File size
34.61 KiB
Views
File license
1ghz3.jpg
Filename
1ghz3.jpg
File size
46.6 KiB
Views
File license

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 18912 of 52813, by fitzpatr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
xjas wrote:

^^ Neat! Never heard of a Sierra graphics card before. I'm guessing they just licenced their name to it and had little to do with its development or marketing, ~1996-1997 being the height of their "get cash input any way we can" phase. Would be interesting to know how that card came about; I don't really associate them with 3D accellerate-able stuff (Dynamix yes, Sierra no.)

Quite Correct. Sierra basically used the Canopus Total3D except without the 3D Glasses and 3D positional audio processor. Congrats on regaining your Tualeron.

sierragamers.com wrote:
“Our primary goal at Sierra On-Line is to create the ultiamte gaming experience… and the Screamin’ 3D Graphics Accelerator is an […]
Show full quote

“Our primary goal at Sierra On-Line is to create the ultiamte gaming experience… and the Screamin’ 3D Graphics Accelerator is another step toward that goal” – Ken Williams.

Released in November 1996 for a suggested retail price of $199.00, Sierra’s Screamin’ 3D graphics card came bundled with Indy Car II, CyberGladiators, Silent Thunder: A-10 Tank Killer II, and a demo version of iD Software’s Quake, which was specifically programmed for the card.

Sierra Screamin’ 3D utilized the Verite V1000 chipset, made by Rendition. The V1000 was the first graphics controller to utilize a programmable core to render 3D graphics. The card was equipped with 4 MB of EDO DRAM and supported Microsoft’s Direct 3D.

One of the drawbacks to this chipset was sluggish 2D graphics performance. To keep ahead of the competition, Sierra worked with Canopus Corporation in Japan to optimize the card’s drivers, boosting 2D performance up to 30% comapred to other cards with the same chipset such as the Creative 3D Blaster.

Sierra Screamin’ 3D was the only graphics card the company ever sold.

Srandista wrote:

That Quake II seems like such a off-topic among those other games 😀

Yes, Quake amidst all of the racing games certainly makes it appear out of place.

MT-32 Old, CM-32L, CM-500, SC-55mkII, SC-88Pro, SC-D70, FB-01, MU2000EX
K6-III+/450/GA-5AX/G400 Max/Voodoo2 SLI/CT1750/MPU-401AT/Audigy 2ZS
486 Build

Reply 18913 of 52813, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
fitzpatr wrote:
I just won this on eBay. Sadly, shipping is quite high, probably due to the Thrustmaster T2 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-Vinta […]
Show full quote

I just won this on eBay. Sadly, shipping is quite high, probably due to the Thrustmaster T2
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-Vintage-PC-Gam … d-/222633744180

The prize of the bunch, at least to me, is the boxed, complete, Sierra Screamin' 3D (Rendition Verite v1000)!

I can find no record of any for sale, so I don't know how much they sell for. They are clearly fairly uncommon.

There are a couple of flight and racing games in there I've never heard of before. That's really saying something because I maintain an extensive archive totaling some hundreds of gigabytes of vintage software not counting my physical content which easily could count in the 1 plus terabyte range without counting anything that was sold on DVD media. What model is that joystick by the way? It looks like a Gravis Firebird but I can't tell from the picture.

Anyways, If you've never owned one before a racing wheel makes racing games into a completely different experience. I've owned several for both PC and console although right now all I have is a Microsoft SideWinder Force-feedback USB (Red and Black edition 😀 ) and my Logitech Driving Force GT for newer games which I need to take a part and see what's loose because it makes a constant rattle whenever any force-feedback is occuring.

EDIT: One a side note i just realized my post count as of this post on the forum is 777 on 9/11 which is kinda weird because IIRC one of the planes involved in the world trade center attacks was a Boeing 777.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 18914 of 52813, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This came in the mail today, the second option of a VGA for my Dell Optiplex P3 build, Matrox Millennium G450 PCI:

med_gallery_60983_11505_100547.jpg

8 GBP for shipping from UK, and no cardboard box or antistatic bag just regular bubble wrap in a bubble envelope. I have a feeling this will be DOA and I'll have to go with the Radeon 7000, haven't tested it yet though.. Not sure if I should leave negative feedback regardless.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 18915 of 52813, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
fitzpatr wrote:

That's a nice haul! Big fan of the T2 here but I've found that the plastic gears on the paddle pots degrade and break - even a NOS one I bought had busted gears. Not too hard to fix, but an annoyance.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 18916 of 52813, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
appiah4 wrote:
This came in the mail today, the second option of a VGA for my Dell Optiplex P3 build, Matrox Millennium G450 PCI: […]
Show full quote

This came in the mail today, the second option of a VGA for my Dell Optiplex P3 build, Matrox Millennium G450 PCI:

med_gallery_60983_11505_100547.jpg

8 GBP for shipping from UK, and no cardboard box or antistatic bag just regular bubble wrap in a bubble envelope. I have a feeling this will be DOA and I'll have to go with the Radeon 7000, haven't tested it yet though.. Not sure if I should leave negative feedback regardless.

I've had plenty of stuff arrive that way and it was all ok. Some people that sell stuff just have no clue about how you are supposed to protect electronics.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 18917 of 52813, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
fitzpatr wrote:

Ooh, that Sierra card is a great find. I have a loose one. It is the only Rendition Verite 1000 card I have. I bought it only to play the hardware-accelerated version of Descent II from DOS. (I can't get D2 to play nice with the V2100 or V2200.) Works great for that -- love that card.

Reply 18918 of 52813, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I bought a Ensoniq 3D Banshee 16MB AGP

Unless I am mistaken it's a Voodoo Banshee. Not bad for $10. It's coming from Fort Lauderdale Florida though so I may not see it for a while.

I'm curious how a 3D Banshee will perform vs a 12MB V2 with one TMU disabled (mine has a dead second TMU). I suspect the extra memory will help.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 18919 of 52813, by amadeus777999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got my first P60 + board today.
After some initial trouble(one tag/dirty ship was missing) it's good to go... I have to admit that the SI5PI is a really cool Socket 4 board. There's a reason why Amoretro/Fabian picked this one as a "pivotal" contender.

The white plastic renders it "extra fancy".

Attachments

• SiS Board - Cache.jpg
    Filename
    SiS Board - Cache.jpg
    File size
    969.99 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • SiS Board.jpg
    Filename
    SiS Board.jpg