Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 19080 of 52352, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oh nice !

I bought a dimond edge 3D few month ago but it was loose. I'm looking for pinouts for the PC and saturn game ports as well as games for it.

Can you (or anybody else) help me ? ^^

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 19081 of 52352, by gbeirn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Big box of stuff came today.

Highlights: GeForce 3Ti 200 that needs caps, 2 GeForce 2Mx, 2 TNT2 Vanta, TNT2 Pro , 128Mb maxtrox parhelia, 2 16 Bit ISA Intel LAN cards, Soubd blaster 16.

40+ cards total, all indidually wrapped in bubble wrap! 😀

Will take forever to test it all. All for $60 shipped.

Reply 19082 of 52352, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I put a low bid on this a while back, did not expect to hear from it again. Much newer than what I usually deal with, I don't think I have a fitting system for it yet...

5mkh8YMl.jpg?1

1982 to 2001

Reply 19083 of 52352, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cyrix200+ wrote:
I put a low bid on this a while back, did not expect to hear from it again. Much newer than what I usually deal with, I don't th […]
Show full quote

I put a low bid on this a while back, did not expect to hear from it again. Much newer than what I usually deal with, I don't think I have a fitting system for it yet...

5mkh8YMl.jpg?1

The dual pIII board in your signature looks fitting?

Halcyon: PC Chips M525, P100, 64MB, Millenium 1, Voodoo1, AWE64, DVD, Win95B

Reply 19084 of 52352, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
senrew wrote:
Cyrix200+ wrote:

<snip>

Isn't it a bit to new for that? If I Google it a bit the 1950 Pro was released in 2006 and the PIII-S 1.4 in 2002. I will investigate further!

1982 to 2001

Reply 19085 of 52352, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
Cyrix200+ wrote:
senrew wrote:
Cyrix200+ wrote:

<snip>

Isn't it a bit to new for that? If I Google it a bit the 1950 Pro was released in 2006 and the PIII-S 1.4 in 2002. I will investigate further!

I seen a user on youtube playing fallout 3 on a dual p3 setup with a newer ati agp card. Ran rather well given the setup.

EDIT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IC5kd0lOXkk

Reply 19086 of 52352, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jade Falcon wrote:

I seen a user on youtube playing fallout 3 on a dual p3 setup with a newer ati agp card. Ran rather well given the setup.

EDIT

Huh, now I want to do that too 😜

1982 to 2001

Reply 19087 of 52352, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cyrix200+ wrote:
Jade Falcon wrote:

EDIT

Fallout 3 is based on GameBryo which is an upgraded version of Morrowinds engine so this makes sense.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 19089 of 52352, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cyrix200+ wrote:
Jade Falcon wrote:

EDIT

Why not bump it up to Crysis? 😎
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VD1mSaGsgg8

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 19090 of 52352, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bought a clamshell case Dell Dimension 4500 for $10 monitor included.

A 17" 1600x1200 M782 Flatglass CRT. I'm more excited about that than the computer.

Oddly, the PC only had a Rage 128 Ultra 16MB in it. What that could drive beyond desktop at the monitors native I have no clue whatsoever. Odd mix of a bottom end configuration with the only upgrade being a ridiculously beefy WiFi card. I just hope the monitor works right. This would be my 16x12 CRT (actually, it would be the highest resolution monitor I have aside from my XPS Gen1 built in display)

I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 19091 of 52352, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

^^ CRTs don't have a "native" resolution, it could handle 1600x1200 but it was likely used at 1024x768 for the most part. The picture doesn't degrade if you decrease resolution like on LCDs so anything you put through it will look as sharp as it can do.

(Posting on my 19" CRT dual-head setup at 2 x 1280x1024 right now, heh.)

And the Rage 128 Ultra is a rather nice card, as we've been discussing in the other thread. 😀

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 19092 of 52352, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

Fallout 3 is based on GameBryo which is an upgraded version of Morrowinds engine so this makes sense.

What makes sense? Morrowind kills any PIII I've tried it on - a fast P4 is more appropriate if you want high frame rates.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 19093 of 52352, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xjas wrote:

(Posting on my 19" CRT dual-head setup at 2 x 1280x1024 right now, heh

Is that your retro rig or your everyday machine? I have a bunch of dual and quadro head Matroxes, Nvidias and even S3s, but I could never figure out a usecase for even a dualhead build (I only do gaming on those machines).

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 19094 of 52352, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xjas wrote:

^^ CRTs don't have a "native" resolution, it could handle 1600x1200 but it was likely used at 1024x768 for the most part. The picture doesn't degrade if you decrease resolution like on LCDs so anything you put through it will look as sharp as it can do.

(Posting on my 19" CRT dual-head setup at 2 x 1280x1024 right now, heh.)

And the Rage 128 Ultra is a rather nice card, as we've been discussing in the other thread. 😀

How is it nice? A DX6 part in a 2002 machine is ridiculous.

Anywhoz the computer doesn't boot. Motherboards green standby light comes on but it won't boot. Which is weird considering the thrift store I bought from said it turned on yesterday (although it was left out in the heat all day).

I switched the power supplies and I got the same result. Pulled all the addin boards and still no result. I suspect front panel failure since it's unlikely to be the motherboard based on available information. Does anyone know which pins are the power pins on this Dell FP connector?

https://imgur.com/a/ukmJQ

And I'm also not sure I like this M782 display. It seems to have very washed out color, although I must admit it's very sharp. It's definitely NOT one of the famed Dell Trinitron displays I thought it was. The search for the perfect gaming CRT continues I guess.

Edit: Sure enough it CAN display 1600x1200 at 60hz and 1280x1024 at 75.

Edit 2: but it has to be forced which means most games will fail with a render creation error even when forced to run in that mode which makes this monitor useless. Why would they not expose the maximum addressable resolution to the computer by default?

Edit 3: can't get the geometry perfect either. Bowing at the bottom of the screen and one corner isn't perfectly straight. Pathetic for a flat glass CRT. It doesn't have a very great options menus with which to fix said issues either. Its better at 1280x1024 than my two KDS/ProScan monitors though so I guess it may very well steal one of there spots.

Does anyone know how to make 1600x1200 a fully exposed resolution?

Reply 19095 of 52352, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jheronimus wrote:
xjas wrote:

Is that your retro rig or your everyday machine? I have a bunch of dual and quadro head Matroxes, Nvidias and even S3s, but I could never figure out a usecase for even a dualhead build (I only do gaming on those machines).

It's a modern machine (well, a Core 2 Duo with a Radeon HD4850.) I use it for writing Octave code for my work at the moment. 😀

I have two 19" CRTs next to each other on a desk with a bunch of systems connected to them. The two monitors are independently selectable on separate KVMs, I can switch the right one between the C2D workstation or the primary output of a P233MMX or a 386/25. The left display can be the C2D, a Mac Mini, or the Voodoo card in the 233MMX. Or whatever else I need to temporarily plug into the empty ports on either KVM. OS/X on a big CRT amuses me.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 19096 of 52352, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xjas wrote:
jheronimus wrote:
xjas wrote:

It's a modern machine (well, a Core 2 Duo with a Radeon HD4850.) I use it for writing Octave code for my work at the moment. 😀

I have two 19" CRTs next to each other on a desk with a bunch of systems connected to them. The two monitors are independently selectable on separate KVMs, I can switch the right one between the C2D workstation or the primary output of a P233MMX or a 386/25. The left display can be the C2D, a Mac Mini, or the Voodoo card in the 233MMX. Or whatever else I need to temporarily plug into the empty ports on either KVM. OS/X on a big CRT amuses me.

I've never found a CRT bigger than 17" in the wild. Once I get properly employed I intend to sink a few hundred into a good well known top end CRT like a 22" Trinitron and then at some point later buy another as a backup. Keeping myself well equipped in CRTs for the remainder of my life is certainly an active goal.

Reply 19098 of 52352, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
senrew wrote:

I sincerely hope you have a strong back 😀

It carries around all 350 some odd pounds of me. I doubt a CRT will be the straw that breaks it.

Reply 19099 of 52352, by probnot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I bought some floppies on kijiji:

YmcXCIx.jpg
Filename
YmcXCIx.jpg
File size
1.1 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

....lots of floppies

I was going to pick up an Asus A7V motherboard from the same guy, but turns out he had already sold it, but he did have something even neater!

2sjlCfr.jpg
Filename
2sjlCfr.jpg
File size
1.29 MiB
Views
File license

Suntac 286-20Mhz motherboard from 1990...and it has an onboard Floppy and IDE controller! On a 286!

He also had some ISA/VLB video cards...which is just what I was looking for to upgrade my current 286 (though I think I'm going to use this motherboard in it too!)

uT0vn6b.jpg
Filename
uT0vn6b.jpg
File size
2.96 MiB
Views
File license

- 2x Trident TVGA8900D (ISA)
- ATI Mach64 (VLB)

And finally, picked up a generic ISA NIC at the thrift store. I'm not planning to network my older machines yet, but this is nice to have if I decide to.

Uh2SgXV.jpg
Filename
Uh2SgXV.jpg
File size
3.62 MiB
Views
File license