Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 19700 of 52793, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
overdrive333 wrote:

i do, but that price is asinine. even with overdrives.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 19701 of 52793, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bjwil1991 wrote:

I'm interested in the cooler, but trading, selling, or buying on Vogons is against the policy. eBay or Amibay will work.

Take a look at my hardware giveaway thread here at Vogons. I cover shipping and I am not selling or trading and everything I ship is as-is. I am only interested in saving this stuff from the recycle center and putting history back into circulation.

My giveaway thread will be active again shortly as I am clearing out the rest of my collection to concentrate on just a few projects. Spread too thin lately.

Old hardware giveaway thread.

Last edited by liqmat on 2017-10-26, 10:14. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 19702 of 52793, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luckybob wrote:
overdrive333 wrote:

I love the case.

Reply 19703 of 52793, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
luckybob wrote:

Heh, I think it's about 3/4 the list price of 1 overdrive new.... fffheck knows what someone threw down for the whole caboodle back in the day, $5000 maybe.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 19704 of 52793, by xeon3d

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jade Falcon wrote:
xeon3d wrote:
Ok, so... I spent €50 and got this.... […]
Show full quote

Ok, so... I spent €50 and got this....

TOWbgNal.jpg

€50 for a fan?

Click the image....

Reply 19705 of 52793, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
liqmat wrote:
Take a look at my hardware giveaway thread here at Vogons. I cover shipping and I am not selling or trading and everything I shi […]
Show full quote
bjwil1991 wrote:

I'm interested in the cooler, but trading, selling, or buying on Vogons is against the policy. eBay or Amibay will work.

Take a look at my hardware giveaway thread here at Vogons. I cover shipping and I am not selling or trading and everything I ship is as-is. I am only interested in saving this stuff from the recycle center and putting history back into circulation.

My giveaway thread will be active again shortly as I am clearing out the rest of my collection to concentrate on just a few projects. Spread too thin lately.

Old hardware giveaway thread.

Oh, that's different. Cool beans, man.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 19707 of 52793, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
BitWrangler wrote:
GeForce 2 Ultra - $28 GeForce 6800XT (AGP - NOS) - $10 Radeon X800 Pro (AGP) - $5 Radeon 9600XT - $5 […]
Show full quote

GeForce 2 Ultra - $28
GeForce 6800XT (AGP - NOS) - $10
Radeon X800 Pro (AGP) - $5
Radeon 9600XT - $5

That a nice selection of cards right their at very good prices.
The 6800 is not a bad card it runs 256mbit memory, the version I had was equipped with 128meg of ram and was able to unlock the extra vertex shaders and pixel pipes to make it effectively a 6800gt with slower ram at half the size 😐 .

What else can you find out it looks like the specs varied alot with 6800xt cards some running 256meg at DDR3.

Reply 19708 of 52793, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
liqmat wrote:

I was surprised to find the 5950 Ultra was not much faster than my non-Ultra 5900. Maybe my 2x AGP port holding it back?

No, but I'll bet my left kidney the CPU you're using on an AGP 2x motherboard is.

Reply 19710 of 52793, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ElectroMan wrote:

Tried it with this machine in original Max Payne (2001) in D3D Hardware and somehow it runs like crap even on mid-settings. I don't remember the performance being that poor even on a less powerful PC. Software T&L seems to be just fine on this P4.

Try a newer GPU, like a FX5500 or newer. Maybe the MX440 doesn't cut it?

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 19712 of 52793, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ElectroMan wrote:

Actually picked this noname case up a week or so ago for $20 in very mint condition - seemed like the best option to go with my Pentium MMX, but can't get rid of the idea that the look might suit better for a P3 system. Hope you can place it in MMX era. I'm trying and it almost works.

IMO, looks much too "new" for PMMX. P-III at oldest. Something about the lack of hard edges, and the two-toned plastic.

Reply 19713 of 52793, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dirkmirk wrote:
That a nice selection of cards right their at very good prices. The 6800 is not a bad card it runs 256mbit memory, the version I […]
Show full quote
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
BitWrangler wrote:
GeForce 2 Ultra - $28 GeForce 6800XT (AGP - NOS) - $10 Radeon X800 Pro (AGP) - $5 Radeon 9600XT - $5 […]
Show full quote

GeForce 2 Ultra - $28
GeForce 6800XT (AGP - NOS) - $10
Radeon X800 Pro (AGP) - $5
Radeon 9600XT - $5

That a nice selection of cards right their at very good prices.
The 6800 is not a bad card it runs 256mbit memory, the version I had was equipped with 128meg of ram and was able to unlock the extra vertex shaders and pixel pipes to make it effectively a 6800gt with slower ram at half the size 😐 .

What else can you find out it looks like the specs varied alot with 6800xt cards some running 256meg at DDR3.

Yeah. The GF2 Ultra and X800 are nice to be able to cross off the list of hard to find rare top end AGP cards I've wanted. The 9600XT is also mildly interesting because its much less common than its pro branded brother, the 9600 Pro.

BTW does anyone know where I can get the correct type of cable for S Video out to Composite on an ASUS 5950? I'm trying to use my Pentium4 to display Doctor Who on my newly acquired vintage 25" Zenith from 1999 (using the P4 machine mostly because it's convienently located). I don't understand why the GPU makers decided every other generation needed a new S Video connector. ATI is the worst, I've seen 3,4,5,8 and 9 pin S Video designs from them in various stages of compatible and not compatible with standard S video.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 19714 of 52793, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Ebay.
Keep in mind it will look like crap most likely. S-video on alot of cards where not the best as with s-video the output is filtered on the card and the TV. and most cards even top end cards used junk setups for s-video.
You far better off with a TV with VGA or a old AIW card.

Reply 19715 of 52793, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ElectroMan wrote:
3 mainboard.jpg

What is it, near these "2,5 legged transistors?", pardon my ignorance? Somehow I don't believe I've ever seen this "pollution" before.

Looks like someone might have removed some heatsinks there - would explain the crap performance if those transistors overheat...

Reply 19718 of 52793, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
derSammler wrote:

No, these are SMD transistors and have no heatsinks. What you see there is just soldering flux. Apparently, there were once larger transistors installed which got replaced.

I have seen this before, I think flux is added to the board during production automatically, but in the end the components were smaller and the flux remains there.

1982 to 2001

Reply 19719 of 52793, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A Pentium III 700E Slot 1 CPU for my Slot 1 system upgrade; I'll change the mainboard to something with Coppermine and ATA66 support and this will replace the CPU. Voodoo 3 unchained!

med_gallery_60983_11505_113027.jpg

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.