VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 20382 of 52623, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Does anybody know if this is of any use / has any collectors value? I got this some month ago. It looks like a Siemens industrial mainbaord. There was a 80386 mounted on it which I already used for something else.

If you agree this is scrap I am going to desolder all parts as spare and throw the remains away...

IMG_9933.JPG
Filename
IMG_9933.JPG
File size
1.65 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
IMG_9934.JPG
Filename
IMG_9934.JPG
File size
2.07 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 20383 of 52623, by blurks

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is that a proprietary riser card slot to the left or a usual 16bit ISA slot in a 90° angle?
If you ask me: I would keep it as it is for a few weeks - maybe you find a nice idea what to do with it. If not you can still salvage the board later on.

Reply 20384 of 52623, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That would have no value in my collection as I would not know how to test it 😀

I would remove anything that is reusable.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 20385 of 52623, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Artex wrote:

On with the show!

Awesome display as always Artex! Thanks for sharing.

Some great stuff in there - that Zalman is my cooler of choice in my P4, mainly for the look of it 😎

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 20386 of 52623, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
badmojo wrote:

Awesome display as always Artex! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks man! Always a pleasure!

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 20387 of 52623, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Artex wrote:

On with the show!

Dude. Your haul posts of awesomeness are like... like... the NeverEnding Story.

<snicker>... sorry.

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 20388 of 52623, by shiva2004

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My small collection of "frankenstein" AGP & PCIe Asrock motherboards, an ALiveDual-eSATA2, a 4CoreDual-SATA2 and a 939Dual-SATA2, the only variant I lack is the 775Dual-915GL and I'm not interested in it.

IMG_20171126_232259.jpg
Filename
IMG_20171126_232259.jpg
File size
940.91 KiB
Views
File license

Unfortunately only the 4CoreDual-SATA2 works as it should, in fact right now it's holding a Pentium Dual 2180 overclocked to 2.2Ghz and 2GB of DDR2 ECC, runs XP and acts as my main retro testing rig; the 939Dual-SATA2 works but the PCIe 16x slot don't work and it's a bit flacky with memory; and the ALiveDual-eSATA2 don't even boot, I'm pretty sure it's memory related, when I bought it it has 4GB of memory and boots, I put some memory of my own and it doesn't boot, put back the original memory and still no boot 😢, it has a pair of swollen capacitors, one of them in the memory power circuit, I'm reasonably confident that if I recap it it will boot again.

Reply 20389 of 52623, by probnot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Picked up an IBM Aptiva desktop today. Pentium 120, 16mb, 4gb, 6x CD-ROM.

Here's the seller's pic:

IMG_1737.JPG
Filename
IMG_1737.JPG
File size
86.61 KiB
Views
File license

It's missing the front case cover, unfortunately, so it's a little fugly, but it all seems to work. I've been trying to find the manual to see if I can upgrade the CPU, but I think it's lost to the ages. Needs a good cleaning, has a strong "someone else's home" odour to it.

Reply 20390 of 52623, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
CkRtech wrote:
Artex wrote:

On with the show!

Dude. Your haul posts of awesomeness are like... like... the NeverEnding Story.

<snicker>... sorry.

🤣. I see what you did there. 😎

LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 20391 of 52623, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Artex, that is quite a haul. I don't even want to know what all that cost. I think I saw a listing on eBay the other day that had one of those 3dfx ex-employee packages in it.

And what is with that Voodoo 3? That thing doesn't match any pictures I've ever seen of a Voodoo 3 and it isn't shown on Falconfly or the Dodge Garage. It looks like a knock off that someone made after getting a box of Voodoo 3 chips that "fell off a truck". 🤣

I must say the box looks familiar, did you or someone else post about that card recently?

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 20392 of 52623, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Ozzuneoj wrote:

Artex, that is quite a haul. I don't even want to know what all that cost. I think I saw a listing on eBay the other day that had one of those 3dfx ex-employee packages in it.

And what is with that Voodoo 3? That thing doesn't match any pictures I've ever seen of a Voodoo 3 and it isn't shown on Falconfly or the Dodge Garage. It looks like a knock off that someone made after getting a box of Voodoo 3 chips that "fell off a truck". 🤣

I must say the box looks familiar, did you or someone else post about that card recently?

Yeah...the 3dfx stuff ended up going for more than I planned on.. But again I have a small? obsession for this company so whatevs. Yeah..the 3dfx card is weird... If that's what it really is. To be tested soon. Couldn't resist after seeing that ultra-generic box. The original post didn't even show the reverse side of the box so I contacted the seller to ensure there was a 3dfx logo somewhere and he confirmed. I have not posted about it previously, but I've never, ever seen a box like it so I just had to grab it. I mean.. It had Shrek on it..... So...

LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 20393 of 52623, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Artex wrote:
Ozzuneoj wrote:

Yeah...the 3dfx stuff ended up going for more than I planned on.. But again I have a small? obsession for this company so whatevs. Yeah..the 3dfx card is weird... If that's what it really is. To be tested soon. Couldn't resist after seeing that ultra-generic box. The original post didn't even show the reverse side of the box so I contacted the seller to ensure there was a 3dfx logo somewhere and he confirmed. I have not posted about it previously, but I've never, ever seen a box like it so I just had to grab it. I mean.. It had Shrek on it..... So...

Man, that's going to drive me crazy now. I just saw that box recently...

Where did you buy it? I have to know if I saw the one you bought or if there's another one out there... 🤣

Reply 20394 of 52623, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
probnot wrote:

Ooo, neat. A decade ago I found a similar one with P100; whoever owned it probably left it on 24/7 as the front 80mm fan had covered all interior surfaces with ~2" of dust... but it worked! Wish I had photos.

IIRC it's a socket 5 machine, so going above that P120 would probably necessitate OverDrive chips or similar.

EDIT: Found this. Could it be the manual? Jumper settings are on page 175.

Last edited by SW-SSG on 2017-11-27, 01:41. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 20395 of 52623, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Ozzuneoj wrote:
Artex wrote:
Ozzuneoj wrote:

Man, that's going to drive me crazy now. I just saw that box recently...

Where did you buy it? I have to know if I saw the one you bought or if there's another one out there... 🤣

https://m.ebay.com/itm/3dfx-V3000-16-Voodoo3- … 822?_mwBanner=1

LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 20396 of 52623, by jamnar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I pulled this out of the dumpster at work right before the holiday.

20171126_193436.jpg
Filename
20171126_193436.jpg
File size
995.44 KiB
Views
File comment
Gateway 2000 4DX2-66V Desktop
File license

I've been looking for a good 486 machine to run some old software I have (doesn't like to run in a stock VM) so I was a little excited when I saw this in with the trash. I checked it out after I got it home and it works perfectly! It's got Win 3.1 and Novell Netware on it along with a number of office and industrial software on it. The HD has a second partition loaded with DOS games. It's got 12MB of RAM too.

Reply 20397 of 52623, by probnot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SW-SSG wrote:
Ooo, neat. A decade ago I found a similar one with P100; whoever owned it probably left it on 24/7 as the front 80mm fan had cov […]
Show full quote
probnot wrote:

Ooo, neat. A decade ago I found a similar one with P100; whoever owned it probably left it on 24/7 as the front 80mm fan had covered all interior surfaces with ~2" of dust... but it worked! Wish I had photos.

IIRC it's a socket 5 machine, so going above that P120 would probably necessitate OverDrive chips or similar.

EDIT: Found this. Could it be the manual? Jumper settings are on page 175.

Damn close. This one appears to be a 2134 C21. It is socket 7 though, so that's promising. I just went through all my 72pin ram and upgraded it from 16mb(4x4) to 32mb(4x8). Only other option was 128mb (4x32) but that seems excessive 🤣 According to the 2144 manual, I can install:

Pentium P54C-75MHz
Pentium P54C-100MHz
Pentium P54C-120MHz
Pentium P54C-133MHz
Pentium P54C-150MHz
Pentium P54C-166MHz

...so not much of an upgrade, since the only 166MHz or 200MHz CPUs I have are MMX (pretty sure it wouldn't work in this).

Also, I really gotta bag this thing until I give it a good scrub-down. The smell of musty curry is too powerful for me...

Reply 20398 of 52623, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Artex wrote:

Okay good... that's the one I saw. Now I can stop searching through my history trying to find it... Thank you. 🤣

BTW, since you took the time to do this Artex, I'll never yell "STUPID HORSE!!!!" again... 😊

Reply 20399 of 52623, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got this little freak of nature for a few euros. Pretty useless, it's more a curiousity I think. I don't even own a 423 board (yet!). Came in the box with manuals etc.

Equipped with 'Hyper-miniature DIP switch'! 😀

6aa870al.jpg

3A965Pxl.jpg

Z9WfLQvl.jpg

j426WXgl.jpg

1982 to 2001