Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 20920 of 52832, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Lester from Another World and the Queen from Battle Chess. 😁

(How do I keep losing at the Guess the Game!! thread?)

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 20921 of 52832, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Haha. Right on, guys!

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 20922 of 52832, by Eleanor1967

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

If you buy an untested lot that is near 100 percent failures you've been scammed. They tested them bad, there just not telling you that. Any that work are probably flukes or they didn't test them properly.

Maybe I worded this badly, but to clarify: out of the 3 motherboards only one works. About everything else in the lot does. So I dont feel scammed at all, considering I got 3 working V3 for 60€ and all the rest.

Reply 20923 of 52832, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

X-mas with 2 boxes today 😉

I hate asking for a good packing and receiving one pile...!

Some cool cards there. The "money-back" card was at the bottom below all those graphics cards I am not really interested in and looked rather ugly however...

DSC_6518.JPG
Filename
DSC_6518.JPG
File size
3.42 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
DSC_6517.JPG
Filename
DSC_6517.JPG
File size
3.74 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 20926 of 52832, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Artex wrote:

^^ WOW that is one, make that two, crappy packaging jobs.

My settlements exactly. I would be surprised if those cards work without the anti-static bags in place, as well as the bubble wrap. When I buy something online, I always ask the seller to put the electronic item into an anti-static bag, and bubble wrap for safety measurements.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 20927 of 52832, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, that's bad. All of my recent retro staff was well packed, but GPU in kitchen towel beats everything 🤣

X800_1.jpg

Last edited by Srandista on 2021-01-30, 22:23. Edited 1 time in total.

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - Chaintech CT-7AIA, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT, ESS ES1869F, Win 98

Reply 20928 of 52832, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not retro itself, but I got this Amoon AM-228 mixer to hook up all of my retro MIDI gear and computers. It looks like a nice little device and was only $24 with free shipping on eBay (from in the US too!).

It is one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/ammoon-AM-228-Ultra-co … V522KF9XC0BEFFZ

I like that it supports 4 stereo inputs and uses a power supply. I'm not convinced that passive mixers like the Rolls MX42 would work well enough for a variety of old devices and they cost more than twice as much. The separate right\left controls may be a little odd at first, but it may actually help in my situation because my "retro area" in my office has the left and right speakers at different distances, so I'll probably make use of this feature.

I'll probably make a post about it here whenever I get a chance to set it up. Mixers are often recommended on this site, but I haven't seen this particular model mentioned. It is by far the cheapest 4 channel stereo mixer with the most features I could find. First impressions are that it uses a very sold metal construction, nice smooth turning pots and sturdy feeling switches. Its obviously a budget "made in China" device (instructions came on a single printed sheet of paper for two langauges), but the device itself doesn't feel cheap at all.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 20929 of 52832, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Predator99 wrote:
X-mas with 2 boxes today ;-) […]
Show full quote

Some cool cards there. The "money-back" card was at the bottom below all those graphics cards I am not really interested in and looked rather ugly however...

DSC_6518.JPG
DSC_6517.JPG

Do the GTX 460 and GTX 570 work? I think those will be go to retro cards in around 20 years when were using Windows Quantum for our main PCs.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 20930 of 52832, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hehe yes the 460 and 570 were not the reason I bought this lot but I was also asking myself this question as my "current" GPU is a 460. 570 would be a good opportunity to upgrade.. 😀

I just tested both. They are initialized, but Windows starts with a lot of display errors in low resolution mode. VGA Driver is starting with an error.

Both cards look OK on the 1st sight, so I will further investigate tomorrow...

Reply 20931 of 52832, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bjwil1991 wrote:
Artex wrote:

^^ WOW that is one, make that two, crappy packaging jobs.

My settlements exactly. I would be surprised if those cards work without the anti-static bags in place, as well as the bubble wrap. When I buy something online, I always ask the seller to put the electronic item into an anti-static bag, and bubble wrap for safety measurements.

Both boxes were sold as "scrap". So I did not pay much money but there are indeed some intersting cards included...maybe I will post tommorrow 😉 And I am almost sure most will work and I made a good deal...

Reply 20933 of 52832, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Predator99 wrote:

Hehe yes the 460 and 570 were not the reason I bought this lot but I was also asking myself this question as my "current" GPU is a 460. 570 would be a good opportunity to upgrade.. 😀

I just tested both. They are initialized, but Windows starts with a lot of display errors in low resolution mode. VGA Driver is starting with an error.

Both cards look OK on the 1st sight, so I will further investigate tomorrow...

If your motherboard supports it and the 570 is dead just SLI in the 460.

And what's that card in the 2nd box with the SUN microchip on it? SGI hardware?

I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 20935 of 52832, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Predator99 wrote:

looks like a sun sbus graphics card. could fit in my sparcstation but its nothing special...

I thought anything SGI was rare and expensive?

Reply 20936 of 52832, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Its Sun, not SGI. Its a rather standard card, Turbo XGX. I have a 3D accelerator in my SparcStation 10, so will not exchange it 😀

Hmm I dont think my 790GXH will support SLI with the 460?
https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/A790GXH128M/index.asp

Reply 20937 of 52832, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Srandista wrote:
Yeah, that's bad. All of my recent retro staff was well packed, but GPU in kitchen towel beats everything :lol: […]
Show full quote

Yeah, that's bad. All of my recent retro staff was well packed, but GPU in kitchen towel beats everything 🤣

X800_1.jpg

To be fair that's better than most idiots who just wrap things in bubble wrap, I wish most of my stuff came in the mail as well packaged as that..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 20938 of 52832, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Predator99 wrote:
Show full quote

The attachment DSC_6518.JPG is no longer available
The attachment DSC_6517.JPG is no longer available

So most intersting cards inside the boxes:

Soundcards...
- CT2290 with OPL and non-PnP..seems to be a good card
- CT2950
- Aztech OPL
..all looking OK

DSC_6519.JPG
Filename
DSC_6519.JPG
File size
1.23 MiB
Views
File license

Graphics cards:
- S3 924 ISA
- ATI MACH64 VLB 😀
- STB VLB
..also looking OK except the brackets

DSC_6520.JPG
Filename
DSC_6520.JPG
File size
1.15 MiB
Views
File license

Not tested so far but pretty sure they will work.

And this one was at the very bottom...some scratches on it..

DSC_6521.JPG
Filename
DSC_6521.JPG
File size
1.25 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 20939 of 52832, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Predator99 wrote:
So most intersting cards inside the boxes: […]
Show full quote
Predator99 wrote:
Show full quote

<snip>

So most intersting cards inside the boxes:

Soundcards...
- CT2290 with OPL and non-PnP..seems to be a good card
- CT2950
- Aztech OPL
..all looking OK

<snip>

Graphics cards:
- S3 924 ISA
- ATI MACH64 VLB 😀
- STB VLB
..also looking OK except the brackets
<snip>
Not tested so far but pretty sure they will work.

And this one was at the very bottom...some scratches on it..
<snip>

Not bad, I think. I also like the red PCB VLB I/O card that was in you previous picture.

What is that last card? Some Googling reveals it's Amiga-related?

1982 to 2001