Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 21200 of 52781, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:

honestly the only thing in that box worth the risk is the gravis card. I would have picked it up for $60. I'm a betting man. If its not too late get him to cover that card in aluminum foil. It will increase odds of survival.

I have never seen a Gravis card here. What is the going rate for this card, in working condition? I am not even sure which one in the bin it is...

1982 to 2001

Reply 21201 of 52781, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Depends on the revision. but ebay has SOLD 4 of them since october, and they went for $200 a pop save for one older version.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sa … =p2045573.m1684

It is the red card in the very bottom of the box. In general, if you see a large red isa sound card, it is likely to be a Gravis.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 21202 of 52781, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I believe that is the 2.4. So you're looking at like $100-$150ish, perhaps?

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 21203 of 52781, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:

Depends on the revision. but ebay has SOLD 4 of them since october, and they went for $200 a pop save for one older version.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sa … =p2045573.m1684

It is the red card in the very bottom of the box. In general, if you see a large red isa sound card, it is likely to be a Gravis.

I was looking for something red, but overlooked that bottom one. I hope to find one someday, but since I never owned one in the past, I have no 'emotional' need for one.

1982 to 2001

Reply 21204 of 52781, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

that seems to be correct. The missing pci bracket is a bit of a downer, but it can be fixed. It might be a fun project to make your own.

I owned a gravis for a while. Used it for like half an hour, didn't really see the appeal so I traded it.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 21205 of 52781, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

To this day I don't know what makes a GUS special, especially when you can buy a Dreamblaster X2 for half of what a GUS costs.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 21206 of 52781, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Dont start that discussion here 😉 Its a nice card with an interesting history, it sounds very good, its rare and it hurted me to see it in the pile in that condition...
I recently got a 3.4 in good condition for 104€.

Reply 21208 of 52781, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Seller can cancel an auction:
http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/end_early.html

Seller (buyer too) takes a gamble... sometimes it can sell for a lot more in the auction but sometimes just for peanuts. Especially if the seller doesn't know what something is worth or he knows it's damaged goods.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 21209 of 52781, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Correct. In this case I was sure the seller didnt know what he has in his hands and he most likely expected to get 15€ in the auction for 3kg of junk.

But I was afraid somebody else sees the GUS and the auction gets a much higher result than what I have offered as buy-at-once...there I didnt want to wait for the auction to end.

If some parts are still working it was a good deal...will report when it arrived 😉

Reply 21210 of 52781, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Predator99 wrote:

Dont start that discussion here 😉 Its a nice card with an interesting history, it sounds very good, its rare and it hurted me to see it in the pile in that condition...

I don't see how an item that you can always find on ebay can be considered "rare". Expensive, yes, but not rare. And expensive only for those buy-it-now auctions (since retro stuff is a big rip-off). A normal auction like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/122805398812 shows the real value, and that is just about $100.

Reply 21211 of 52781, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The GUS midi capabilities is completely different, it shines at playing pcm samples at high quality while while asking little performance to the CPU. It can play up to 32 voices (16 per stereo speaker) at 44KHz in 16 bit. The sound blaster 16 can only output two at a time (one per speaker). To mix sounds, you need to do that by software with sb16 and if you mix 2 16bit 44KHz sounds, you'll loose quality, and that'll ask some performance to the cpu. In the meantime, the GUS just needs to play those on two different channels, and both will stay at their proper speed and that'll ask little for the cpu to do

This card isn't the best DOS card to play midi, but it must be one of the best if you want to play MOD music (like epic megagames's creations, or demos)
Try to play the mod file you find in with that demo https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=233s&v=_yJ5M3BY2Ts on an sb16 and you'll hear the sb16 being completely overwhelmed by the amount of channels this mod uses.

So comparing it to the Dreamblaster is just missing the point. The way it process sound is much closer to what the SNES' sound chip does or the Amiga's sound chip does.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 21212 of 52781, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cyrix200+ wrote:
luckybob wrote:

honestly the only thing in that box worth the risk is the gravis card. I would have picked it up for $60. I'm a betting man. If its not too late get him to cover that card in aluminum foil. It will increase odds of survival.

I have never seen a Gravis card here. What is the going rate for this card, in working condition? I am not even sure which one in the bin it is...

Never seen one here? Better pay attention the next time you're going trough my ads: I just sold one this week on mp! 🤣

It was the first i ever laid my hands on. But i'm not into the soundcards, i prefer motherboards and 3dfx/3d cards. For sound any soundblaster isa will do for me, plug&play is even better.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 21213 of 52781, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
meljor wrote:
Cyrix200+ wrote:
luckybob wrote:

Never seen one here? Better pay attention the next time you're going trough my ads: I just sold one this week on mp! 🤣

It was the first i ever laid my hands on. But i'm not into the soundcards, i prefer motherboards and 3dfx/3d cards. For sound any soundblaster isa will do for me, plug&play is even better.

Hmm, must have missed that! I was offline for a bit last week also. Was it gone quickly? I should check you auctions more often anyways haha.

1982 to 2001

Reply 21214 of 52781, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, it went to the post office together with another package that had a P5A in it 🤣 😎

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 21216 of 52781, by blurks

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kixs wrote:

Seller (buyer too) takes a gamble... sometimes it can sell for a lot more in the auction but sometimes just for peanuts. Especially if the seller doesn't know what something is worth or he knows it's damaged goods.

To the best of my knowledge a seller is not entitled to cancel an auction for an offer he gets through a personal message or elsewhere. This is shady at best and morally devastating to see other people defending this kind of (mis)behavior.
As this is pretty much offtopic: EOD from my side.

Reply 21217 of 52781, by RJDog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
adventure_gamer wrote:
$20 for this; anyone? http://i65.tinypic.com/ieh34o.jpg http://i64.tinypic.com/rayqes.jpg […]
Show full quote

$20 for this; anyone?
ieh34o.jpg
rayqes.jpg

Oh my god... i have been looking for anything like this for less than $200 for the last two years
/jealous

Reply 21218 of 52781, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
blurks wrote:
kixs wrote:

To the best of my knowledge a seller is not entitled to cancel an auction for an offer he gets through a personal message or elsewhere. This is shady at best and morally devastating to see other people defending this kind of (mis)behavior.
As this is pretty much offtopic: EOD from my side.

I wasn't defending this practice and you are right. I'm marely saying the seller can cancel an auction if he wants to, even if there are bidders.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 21219 of 52781, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
derSammler wrote:

Might be just the light, but on the picture it looks as C13 has a small dent in the middle. In this case, it must be replaced as it would cause a short inside the cap.

U1 is skewed. Soldering points are not original, it was probably re-soldered in the past. The upper four pins seem to have too few solder, the other ones have too much. I would de-solder it, clean the pads, and re-solder it properly.

So I am still trying to get this SOWT-24 running.
To remember, all Caps, power regulator and the crystal were removed when I got the card.

I replaced them all but its still not running. I tried in a Aztech and a Soundblaster 16. As far as I understood it should run without additional driver when selecting Waveblaster / General Midi output on port 300/330 in a game - correct?

- do I have consider the direction when mounting the crystal? I think it should not matter?
- can somebody confirm I have chosen the correct Caps? 16V, 10uF? I have no photo where I can see it on a reference card.
- is the power regulator 79L05 the right one? I am very unsure about this as the previous owner used the board for his soldering pratice and a 79L05 was still installed. But maybe he replaced it already with a wrong one?

I dont think the soldering of U1 or the black caps are the reason. They are looking good to me and connections seem to be fine.

IMG_0185.JPG
Filename
IMG_0185.JPG
File size
925.26 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
IMG_0186.JPG
Filename
IMG_0186.JPG
File size
834.71 KiB
Views
File license
IMG_0187.JPG
Filename
IMG_0187.JPG
File size
618.59 KiB
Views
File license
IMG_0189.JPG
Filename
IMG_0189.JPG
File size
818.58 KiB
Views
File license

I dont think the card is damaged. After closer inspection I noticed nearly all cards of this lot were used for "soldering practice". And I was able to repair all I tried by removing excessive solder...

Mabye I should open a new thread, not all will look here...

Thanks!