VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 21340 of 52803, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, maybe the other cards are also good soundcards, but I think they are nothing difficult to get and I would not have bought such lot for them.

Additionally, I am not really collecting these cards because they do not look "nice". I prefer larger cards with more ICs on it compared to these rather modern and highly integrated ones 😉

Reply 21341 of 52803, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Terratec cards are often pretty difficult to get for a good price, if you have any you want to dispose of let me know 😵

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 21342 of 52803, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
badmojo wrote:

I'm always on the lookout for a new sound card to play with - what's so good about these would you say? I seen an OPL3 on there and some mention of OPL4?

I don't see a wavetable header though.

There's the OPL3 version which has an OPL3 (obviously) and can be extended with an OPL4 wavetable. And there's a version that has the OPL4 already on-board. Why I like it? First, it just works. Drivers are nice and small. When the driver inits the card, a sample is played so you always know whether or not the card is working and your speakers are on. 😉 Then there are internal headers for all jacks, so you can do quite a few cool things with internal audio routing. The headers are auto-switching. Moreover, it has all important CD-ROM interfaces from that time. Important for me, as I'm collecting old CD drives and not always want to install the interface card for testing that came with a drive. And finally, the card just looks great. Nice and clean PCB layout.

Reply 21343 of 52803, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Grabbed a couple SB Live! cards because they were listed as $3 a piece, so why not; they are always a good choice for Win9x/XP builds, especially with an ISA/PCI OPL3 card.

Creative_Sound_Blaster_Live_5.1_SB0100.jpg Creative_Sound_Blaster_Live_Player_CT4830.jpg

I also got this Coppermine 1000B for $5 because why not, it's basically the best CPU you can stick on a 440BX board. This one turned out to have some chipped sides and corners though, let's see if this one will actually work or not. I've seen worse banged up P3 cores soldier on, and less chipped cores crash and burn, so, we'll see..

Intel_Pentium_III_1000_B_B.jpg

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 21344 of 52803, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Batyra wrote:

Interesting. Can you tell a little more about it?

It's a variant of IBM M-Audio Capture and Playback Adapter (M-ACPA). Does 16-bit PCM sound and FM-like synthesis. It has DOS and Win 3.1 drivers, can play MIDI files. A video about MCA variant of the same card: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkk0YW_qd-Y

There are beta drivers for Win 3.1 that add SB compatibility.

We have started a thread about it: Tecmar ARPA sound card

Last edited by bristlehog on 2018-01-12, 13:48. Edited 1 time in total.

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city

Reply 21345 of 52803, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
appiah4 wrote:

Terratec cards are often pretty difficult to get for a good price, if you have any you want to dispose of let me know 😵

Looking a little deeper, I'm no longer thinking it's a Terratec board. Probably from these guys:
http://www.globalsources.com/si/AS/Techmakers … panyProfile.htm

Still, Crystal PCM audio chips usually sound nice and clean.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 21347 of 52803, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Predator99 wrote:
My GUS lot... […]
Show full quote

My GUS lot...

gus.jpg

...just arrived 😎 Its a 2.4 and looking quite good. Will test it tomorrow.

IMG_0194r.jpg
IMG_0195r.jpg

The other soundacrds are nothing special:

IMG_0196.JPG

Then some graphics cards along with a Mach64 PCI, also nothing special...but have to check for the STB Horizon 64, never seen this card:

IMG_0197.JPG

But I think for 50€ I made a very good deal for the GUS.

And no, I dont see what should have been unfair in this deal und I would do it again that way... 😈

Just tested the GUS....woking fine 😎 😎 😎

Reply 21348 of 52803, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gdjacobs wrote:
Looking a little deeper, I'm no longer thinking it's a Terratec board. Probably from these guys: http://www.globalsources.com/si […]
Show full quote
appiah4 wrote:

Looking a little deeper, I'm no longer thinking it's a Terratec board. Probably from these guys:
http://www.globalsources.com/si/AS/Techmakers … panyProfile.htm

Still, Crystal PCM audio chips usually sound nice and clean.

Yes, there is a label MF-4236PQ on it, so its this card
http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/sound-cards-multi … -mf-4236pw.html

Not of high value:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Scheda-audio-slot-IS … =p2047675.l2557

Reply 21349 of 52803, by chose007

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
martin939 wrote:

Hooold up, Dual Pentium PRO 256k?

You right 😀
dscf6605re.jpg

(jurassic park allready cleaned)
dscf6573re.jpg

dscf6576re.jpg

and some new cards, not so old but top interesting models

Tseng 6000 and SiS 315
dscf6653re.jpg

8800U + GTX260
dscf6646re.jpg

same like Quadro
dscf6596re.jpg

6800U AGP
dscf6648re.jpg

Calibri-90-YT-banner-resize.jpg * Calibri-90-resize-resize.jpg

Reply 21350 of 52803, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:
<snip> […]
Show full quote

<snip>

I also got this Coppermine 1000B for $5 because why not, it's basically the best CPU you can stick on a 440BX board. This one turned out to have some chipped sides and corners though, let's see if this one will actually work or not. I've seen worse banged up P3 cores soldier on, and less chipped cores crash and burn, so, we'll see..

Intel_Pentium_III_1000_B_B.jpg

PIII's are quite resilient to just chipped sides/corners, but you never know. Running it on a 440BX would be overclocking the AGP. You would need a non-B with 100MHz FSB.

1982 to 2001

Reply 21351 of 52803, by Batyra

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just got it. AFAIK the best and lates intel based Socket7 board from Gigabyte.
It gonna replace my GA-586ATX (but without 4 in the end, it lacks 75FSB and has botd simm and sdram).

Attachments

• GA586_ATX4.jpg
    Filename
    GA586_ATX4.jpg
    File size
    259.88 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Gigabyte GA-586ATX4
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Visit my website: http://www.collection.batyra.pl

Reply 21352 of 52803, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Got this Intellistaion M Pro. Bit of a mystery machine! Will post when it arrives. https://www.ebay.com/itm/263339029458

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 21355 of 52803, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Predator99 wrote:

Well, how does it sound?

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 21356 of 52803, by blurks

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
maverick85 wrote:

omg yes. where did you nab these from?

I got them seperately from different sources. To be honest I find it pretty challenging to track down the main office programs in their retail boxes in acceptable shape. They are not particularly expensive when they pop up but they are not plentiful. It seems people had no reason to buy Word, Excel or PowerPoint seperately when they could have gotten the Office suite for a comparable price back then.

Reply 21357 of 52803, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I was gifted this 486/66 tower this week:

Y2AAwsVl.jpg

486/66 , 540MB HDD, 8MB RAM, some OPTI soundcard and a VLB Trident 9400cxi vga - pretty much the usual stuff one would buy here at the time 😀

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 21358 of 52803, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Got a very good deal on an IBM Eququest model 55.

NTAf7Knm.jpg

Basically it is an all-in-one, 486 machine that was marketed at schools. Came with an original (not lexmark) Model M keyboard. I'll probably post an unboxing video and subsequent restorations!

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 21359 of 52803, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

An S3-928 based ISA VGA card for my 386DX-40 build. Paid a bit more than I would have liked, but it is boxed and is a 2MB card and one of the fastest chipsets that was available for ISA.

And it was not much more than the bog-standard slow ISA VGA cards available right now.

box.jpg
Filename
box.jpg
File size
126.83 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
card.jpg
Filename
card.jpg
File size