VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 21640 of 52811, by mrau

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

why would You need it to support 8bit arches? would a 8088 even be able to pull 15kbps from this? can this work in parallel with a printer?
this has an builtin amp too? how is the mic used with this?

Reply 21641 of 52811, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Eleanor1967 wrote:

Sure, here is the link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/s08b4hrblyin8s2/SUR … ND_100.iso?dl=0
Feel free to upload it to vogonsdrivers as I do not have an account there.

Ready! http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?file … &menustate=35,0
Thanks a lot!

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)

Reply 21642 of 52811, by Wireless

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mrau wrote:

why would You need it to support 8bit arches? would a 8088 even be able to pull 15kbps from this? can this work in parallel with a printer?

I think the earlier Backpack CD-ROMs could work with some 8086 builds, I think IBM 5150 is one of those, I suspect a Parallel Printer would daisy chain down the same cable.

I've no idea how the 16 bit sound works on this, I was looking at getting an earlier one, and was surprised it had a sound card built in.

My Compag Armada 1110 only has an FDD builtin and a PCMCIA Port, with both DB9 and DB25 Ports on the back, it seemed hampered without a CD-ROM and so I was looking for a solution, this appears to be it. However, it would be handy being able to install W95 off a CD onto the 386 (when I build it), but how long that would take would be a guess.

As regards the transfer speed, I think it would read the buffer, and the drive would fill it as necessary, I've had a 286-12 in the past on the internet using a 10Mbit NIC and Arachne, and that seemed to cope well enough.

Last edited by Wireless on 2018-01-29, 03:01. Edited 1 time in total.

8086-8, 286-16, 386DX-40, 486DX4-100, K5 PR166, K6-2 550, K6-3 450, 3x XP 3200+, 64 3700+,
2x 64 X2 4400+, Phenom II X2 220, Phenom II X6 1100T, Athlon X4 845, FX-8370.
Laptops 1110, 600E, 2200, C640, 1520, D830, 3558. Sinclairs + Playstations.

Reply 21643 of 52811, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Wireless wrote:
I think the earlier Backpack CD-ROMs could work with some 8086 builds, I think IBM 5150 is one of those, I suspect a Parallel Pr […]
Show full quote
mrau wrote:

I think the earlier Backpack CD-ROMs could work with some 8086 builds, I think IBM 5150 is one of those, I suspect a Parallel Printer would daisy chain down the same cable.

I've no idea how the 16 bit sound works on this, I was looking at getting an earlier one, and was surprised it had a sound card built in.

My Compag Armada 1110 only has an FDD builtin and a PCMCIA Port, with both DB9 and DB25 Ports on the back, it seemed hampered without a CD-ROM and so I was looking for a solution, this appears to be it. However, it would be handy being able to install W95 off a CD onto the 386 (when I build it), but how long that would take would be a guess.

That is amazing.. I really, really want one of those now.

Edit:
So, the sound card only work in Windows from what I could find.. unless they actually released a driver for DOS at some point.
http://www.vcfed.org/forum/archive/index.php/t-51290.html
http://minuszerodegrees.net/backpack_cdrom/Do … ment%202201.pdf

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 21644 of 52811, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Didn't buy anything but saw this on reddit and thought of you guys. Nothing like getting pissed off cause some component smells like ass thanks to coming from a smoker who didn't mention it.

6roTGA3.jpg

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 21645 of 52811, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
oeuvre wrote:
Didn't buy anything but saw this on reddit and thought of you guys. Nothing like getting pissed off cause some component smells […]
Show full quote

Didn't buy anything but saw this on reddit and thought of you guys. Nothing like getting pissed off cause some component smells like ass thanks to coming from a smoker who didn't mention it.

6roTGA3.jpg

Thanks a lot for reminding me about the horrors of smoker computers and parts.. I had a dream about it last night.... 😠 🤣

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 21647 of 52811, by probnot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
oeuvre wrote:
Didn't buy anything but saw this on reddit and thought of you guys. Nothing like getting pissed off cause some component smells […]
Show full quote

6roTGA3.jpg

I've had to scrub down components in the shower before. I've noticed in my area, the people most likely to still have old computer parts are the ones who smoke a pack a day indoors 🙁

Reply 21648 of 52811, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
probnot wrote:
oeuvre wrote:
Show full quote

6roTGA3.jpg

I've had to scrub down components in the shower before. I've noticed in my area, the people most likely to still have old computer parts are the ones who smoke a pack a day indoors 🙁

I have a new weapon in the fight against disgusting smoke riddled (or just generally stinky) computer components: An ozone generator.

I just got it the other day ($50 on amazon) and its a really neat little device. I had a huge box of computer parts and cables I got a couple weeks ago and it came from a basement so had a musty smell to it. I put the tube from the ozone generator into the box with all of the shopping bags full of cables stuffed into it, I put some packing tape on the top of the box to hold it closed, ran the ozone generator for a few minutes then turned it off and left the box closed up for a while. When I opened it a couple hours later everything in the whole box smelled like ozone and now several days later there's hardly any smell at all on anything that was inside that box... and it was hardly a thorough test... they were all wrapped in bags and packed in there. I imagine that if they were loose and more fully exposed to it it would have worked better and faster.

We had an ozone generating air purifier in the PC repair shop I worked at back in 2003-2006 since the bosses smoked (yuck), and it made a gigantic difference, so I'm sure this will help to de-stink a smoker's PC as well. There's also some evidence to suggest that it works as an alternative retro-brite method that doesn't involve using expensive hair chemicals.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 21649 of 52811, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
probnot wrote:
oeuvre wrote:
Show full quote

6roTGA3.jpg

That and seeing the Asus P55TP4XE a few posts back triggers some old memories. Must have been somewhere around 2004. I was visiting a large open-air flea market looking for So7 boards. I'd found a dual So5 i430NX board in its original box with manuals & cables I was optimistic about (dead as a door-nail unfortunately), then it started to rain and everyone scattered, leaving unsaleable items in the mud. One muddy puddle had some PCB sticking out of it, so I pulled it out: a P55TP4XE. Covered in mud after being rained upon for the better part of an hour.

Challenge accepted! I took it home, had a nice hot shower and took the board with me to get the dirt off. Then flushed with some distilled water to avoid calcium build up, and left it to dry for 24h.

Next day I inserted my one of my trusty P100 test CPUs, a few small SIMMs and a very expendable VGA card, connected an iffy AT power supply, spare keyboard and monitor. And... it booted. Perfectly, first time. It subsequently passed every stress test I could give it, and continued as one of my most reliable boards. Now that is quality. Last time I saw it in early 2008 it was still going strong. Unless I'm mistaken it's still in a cardboard box in fellow Vogon Thandor's shed and the only doubt I have is whether the Dallas RTC is still serviceable.

Reply 21650 of 52811, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
hard1k wrote:

Beware of some hidden misperfections, IIRC it was this seller who sold a nearly broken Cx5x86 to Artex recently.

See here for an update:
My Cyrix 5x86 133/4x Story: A VOGONS lifeline - Feipoa

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 21651 of 52811, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yay for Artex and Feipoa!

In other good news, I have scratched off the #1 motherboard off my "must buy" list finally.

For those that don't know, I have a "thing" for dual cpu systems. For over a decade I've been waiting to come across an Asus TRL-DLS motherboard. Will with the help of Liqmat and one of his pals from Germany, I've finally gotten one for a GOOD price. Icing on the cake? Its new-in-box!

I'm like a 5 year old on christmas day right now.

pzAhuD6m.jpg?1

It also works too!

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 21652 of 52811, by probnot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dionb wrote:
That and seeing the Asus P55TP4XE a few posts back triggers some old memories. Must have been somewhere around 2004. I was visit […]
Show full quote
probnot wrote:
oeuvre wrote:
Show full quote

6roTGA3.jpg

That and seeing the Asus P55TP4XE a few posts back triggers some old memories. Must have been somewhere around 2004. I was visiting a large open-air flea market looking for So7 boards. I'd found a dual So5 i430NX board in its original box with manuals & cables I was optimistic about (dead as a door-nail unfortunately), then it started to rain and everyone scattered, leaving unsaleable items in the mud. One muddy puddle had some PCB sticking out of it, so I pulled it out: a P55TP4XE. Covered in mud after being rained upon for the better part of an hour.

Challenge accepted! I took it home, had a nice hot shower and took the board with me to get the dirt off. Then flushed with some distilled water to avoid calcium build up, and left it to dry for 24h.

Next day I inserted my one of my trusty P100 test CPUs, a few small SIMMs and a very expendable VGA card, connected an iffy AT power supply, spare keyboard and monitor. And... it booted. Perfectly, first time. It subsequently passed every stress test I could give it, and continued as one of my most reliable boards. Now that is quality. Last time I saw it in early 2008 it was still going strong. Unless I'm mistaken it's still in a cardboard box in fellow Vogon Thandor's shed and the only doubt I have is whether the Dallas RTC is still serviceable.

Stuff that has a story like that just feels so much more special. Like the old TV I picked up by the curb in the pouring rain as a teenager 😀

Reply 21653 of 52811, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Ozzuneoj wrote:
I have a new weapon in the fight against disgusting smoke riddled (or just generally stinky) computer components: An ozone gener […]
Show full quote
probnot wrote:
oeuvre wrote:
Show full quote

6roTGA3.jpg

I have a new weapon in the fight against disgusting smoke riddled (or just generally stinky) computer components: An ozone generator.

I just got it the other day ($50 on amazon) and its a really neat little device. I had a huge box of computer parts and cables I got a couple weeks ago and it came from a basement so had a musty smell to it. I put the tube from the ozone generator into the box with all of the shopping bags full of cables stuffed into it, I put some packing tape on the top of the box to hold it closed, ran the ozone generator for a few minutes then turned it off and left the box closed up for a while. When I opened it a couple hours later everything in the whole box smelled like ozone and now several days later there's hardly any smell at all on anything that was inside that box... and it was hardly a thorough test... they were all wrapped in bags and packed in there. I imagine that if they were loose and more fully exposed to it it would have worked better and faster.

We had an ozone generating air purifier in the PC repair shop I worked at back in 2003-2006 since the bosses smoked (yuck), and it made a gigantic difference, so I'm sure this will help to de-stink a smoker's PC as well. There's also some evidence to suggest that it works as an alternative retro-brite method that doesn't involve using expensive hair chemicals.

Good call on the ozone generator. We might be needing more of those due to GLOBAL WARMING!

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 21654 of 52811, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
oeuvre wrote:

Good call on the ozone generator. We might be needing more of those due to GLOBAL WARMING!

095b95c43e18973175b9e35042d7c6e3.png

Reply 21655 of 52811, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
oeuvre wrote:

🤣

When I saw how quickly this cheap little machine put out ozone (its very strong smelling almost immediately) my wife and I joked about the same thing. 🤣

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 21656 of 52811, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Do be careful with that ozone - it does the job breaking down smells and other yuck with its high reactivity, but just as happily does that to your airways too. In the stratosphere ozone is great, but down here it's considered a pollutant in its own right. Make sure you ventilate enough when using it.

Reply 21657 of 52811, by anderswk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
luckybob wrote:
Yay for Artex and Feipoa! […]
Show full quote

Yay for Artex and Feipoa!

In other good news, I have scratched off the #1 motherboard off my "must buy" list finally.

For those that don't know, I have a "thing" for dual cpu systems. For over a decade I've been waiting to come across an Asus TRL-DLS motherboard. Will with the help of Liqmat and one of his pals from Germany, I've finally gotten one for a GOOD price. Icing on the cake? Its new-in-box!

I'm like a 5 year old on christmas day right now.

pzAhuD6m.jpg?1

It also works too!

Nice. What's the weird-looking bottom PCI slot for?

1991: IBM PS/2 Model 35 SX
1995: IBM Aptiva 2144
1999: IBM IntelliStation M Pro 6889

Reply 21658 of 52811, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It is a normal pci slot, however, if you install Asus' special management card, it would allow remote control of the entire board.

Reply 21659 of 52811, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice ones, now i have about full collection of most powerful Pentium desktop processors.. The 3.2GHz P4 is not the fastest, but it will be when OC to 3.4...
It was trade one Athlon64 x2 4800+ for these 3..

Attachments

• Untitled675835435.jpg
    Filename
    Untitled675835435.jpg
    File size
    409 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Mah systems retro, old, newer (Radical stuff)
W3680 4.5/ GA-x58 UD7/ R9 280x
K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM x2 P3 933/ GA-6VXD7/ Voodoo V 5.5K
Cmq P2 450/ GA-BX2000/ V2 SLI
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088