Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 22321 of 52339, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

The 9800XT I got for $25 is dead. Artifacts everywhere on startup.

I'm so pissed. Everytime a top end part finds its way to my hands at a reasonable price ($25 is what it's worth, no video card from a decade ago is worth more. Not even a V5 5500 IMO) it seems to be dead.

Off to demand my refund and leave a scathing review I suppose. There are times I wonder if items listed as tested and working are ever actually tested.

This sort of thing seems to be very common with R300 cards. I'm guessing the small gpu heatsinks and no cooling at all for the memory is the main culprit.

derSammler wrote:

Got an Atari VCS today. 😀

Console heathen!!! 🤣

I'd really like to at least play one once, however the prices are way out of my reach 😵 I've only seen one once.

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 22323 of 52339, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

The 9800XT I got for $25 is dead. Artifacts everywhere on startup.

I'm so pissed. Everytime a top end part finds its way to my hands at a reasonable price ($25 is what it's worth, no video card from a decade ago is worth more. Not even a V5 5500 IMO) it seems to be dead.

Off to demand my refund and leave a scathing review I suppose. There are times I wonder if items listed as tested and working are ever actually tested.

If all else bake the damn thing, I had to bake one of my 9800 XTs and it worked. The stock cooler just sucks even though it looks nice as is these cards kill themselves when neglected.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 22324 of 52339, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
oeuvre wrote:

yesss glad to see you guys are following the Skeletor rule

+1

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 22327 of 52339, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
derSammler wrote:

Got an Atari VCS today. 😀

That was my mom's first video console. I played some games back then, and it was amazing.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 22328 of 52339, by okenido

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
s-l1600 (3).jpg
Filename
s-l1600 (3).jpg
File size
329.72 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Bought this slot 1 retention bracket for 14 €. So f**** expensive. But I'm just attracted by unusual stuff...

Reply 22329 of 52339, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
derSammler wrote:

Solaris, mainly. 😁

Check out some of the awesome homebrew that is out there these days, too!

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 22330 of 52339, by Katmai500

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
x0zm_ wrote:
Bought a bunch of Pentium II's for around $20 the other day. Also some SECC PIIIs and Celerons, but didn't take pics of those. T […]
Show full quote

Bought a bunch of Pentium II's for around $20 the other day. Also some SECC PIIIs and Celerons, but didn't take pics of those. Took some pics of the PIIs though, thought I'd share here.

Parts:

SL2QA: 233MHz x 3
SL2QB: 266MHz x 1
SL2QC: 300Mhz x 1
SL3U3: 350MHz x 2

SL37C: 450MHz x 3 (PIII)

I am unsure of the Celeron model, but it was two of the same.

672UmuGl.jpg
8p8O86El.jpg

Ju4VXXOl.jpg zLjlLhll.jpg

Avf4cAbl.jpg

One cannot simply have too many Slot 1 CPUs. Those are some awesome shots to really show off the SECC package! Also, having those sequential S-spec's (SL2QA, B, and C) is pretty cool.

Reply 22332 of 52339, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Old P2s can have some use : performs well and can be underclocked/slowed down by disabling L2 or L1 cache or both a bit like K6-x+ (except that you need to go through the BIOS for that 😒)

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 22333 of 52339, by Katmai500

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
okenido wrote:

Ooh nice ! Do you have a fetish for Slot1 CPUs too ? 😁
I find PIII's more useful but I like PII's cartridges more. Sturdier, better finish, very high quality feel.

Most definitely. 😁 The SECC Pentium II is a bit cooler looking than SECC 2 PII's and PIII's.

I think my fondness for Slot 1 and Slot A CPUs is because they were the fastest x86 CPUs available when I was first getting into computers as a kid, and because they represent an interesting engineering compromise at the transition point between on-motherboard and on-die L2 cache. I also have a lot of fond memories of Windows 98 gaming on a Pentium III. I must have at least 40 or 50 Slot 1 CPUs at this point, including a whole bunch of engineering samples.

Reply 22334 of 52339, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
okenido wrote:

s-l1600 (3).jpg

Bought this slot 1 retention bracket for 14 €. So f**** expensive. But I'm just attracted by unusual stuff...

Judging by its translucent blue color, it was definitely worth the price, that bracket surely has a place in a Slot 1 build that's housed in a multi-colored case like the ones shown in this thread.

oeuvre wrote:

yesss glad to see you guys are following the Skeletor rule

That's funny, I managed to find a picture of Skeletor in an old backup folder on my external hard drive, maybe I should've posted a picture of my Dell Dimension 4600 running with Skeletor on the monitor?

Reply 22335 of 52339, by okenido

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Katmai500 wrote:
okenido wrote:

Ooh nice ! Do you have a fetish for Slot1 CPUs too ? 😁
I find PIII's more useful but I like PII's cartridges more. Sturdier, better finish, very high quality feel.

Most definitely. 😁 The SECC Pentium II is a bit cooler looking than SECC 2 PII's and PIII's.

I think my fondness for Slot 1 and Slot A CPUs is because they were the fastest x86 CPUs available when I was first getting into computers as a kid, and because they represent an interesting engineering compromise at the transition point between on-motherboard and on-die L2 cache. I also have a lot of fond memories of Windows 98 gaming on a Pentium III. I must have at least 40 or 50 Slot 1 CPUs at this point, including a whole bunch of engineering samples.

I never had any slot1 cpu in my childhood (only a PIII socket 370), so I shouldn't have any nostalgia, but still like them ! I look on ebay every few days to see if there are some interesting models... recently I've found a 850mhz fsb100

KCompRoom2000 wrote:
okenido wrote:

s-l1600 (3).jpg

Judging by its translucent blue color, it was definitely worth the price, that bracket surely has a place in a Slot 1 build that's housed in a multi-colored case like the ones shown in this thread.

Old ugly things that become attractive twenty years later 😁 Would be fun to find the matching case

Reply 22338 of 52339, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Pabloz wrote:

what kind of memory expansion goes into that ati 3d rage II ?
is that even found?

It's a VRAM SO-DIMM, and shouldn't be too hard to locate. Maximum is 4MB.

e.g. https://www.ebay.com/i/263523875514?rt=nc

Reply 22339 of 52339, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

its easy to get. i have one in my g3. same part is used in the pci version for the pc. expands vram from two to six mb.

well worth it, imho.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.