Bought these (retro) hardware today

Discussion about old PC hardware.

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Postby xjas » 2018-4-23 @ 20:52

slivercr wrote:Those heatsinks are pretty beefy: I actually use them to cool down 1 GHz chips and they do just fine.

Cool, sounds like I can run this thing passive which is nice. I was worried it had some kind of engineered-airflow active cooling setup.

slivercr wrote:What case do you have in mind for this monstrosity?

Errrrrrrrm... I didn't realize it until just now, but case selection is going to be an issue. Seems it's a not-quite-standard form factor and fouls the PSU in a typical (E-)ATX case because of how far the board extends above the i/o shield area (there's a good 2cm of extra height there.) I have a Fractal Design Define R4 which it looks like it will fit in, but I was going to get rid of that because I'm missing the little PCB with the front USB ports & power button & got an incredibly irritating passive-aggressive FU from Fractal when I dared enquire about ordering spare parts for it. Maybe I'll make some kind of custom display board for it, although I don't have any real reason to put this one on display.
selected (probably) unfinished build threads { In a Lunchbox / Has It All / Hot Damn! / IT IS THE NINETIES / 20 Years of Junk }
xjas
Oldbie

Postby Brickpad » 2018-4-24 @ 01:13

Baoran wrote:I bought this 486 33Mhz pc from local auction site for 50 euros. No display or keyboard comes with it though. I think the case looks pretty good. if I would want to buy a pc from ebay, I basically would have to pay 50 euros just for shipping it to my country, so that is why I don't have many old cases. Hopefully it will arrive later this week.

I have the same case as well! The 3.5" turbo / reset / LED faceplate is removable and can be placed anywhere in the 3 external 3.5" bays.
Brickpad

Postby gdjacobs » 2018-4-24 @ 04:28

NamelessPlayer wrote:-Rocketfish 900W 80+ Silver modular PSU, sealed in box. Hardly vintage, but how many PSUs that specced-out do you see being sold for under $20? If anything, I'm running short on ATX PSUs for all my systems!

I'm not saying this is the case with Rocketfish. I'm not familiar with their PSU line. However, specs are easy if they're invented from thin air.
gdjacobs
l33t++

Postby NamelessPlayer » 2018-4-24 @ 09:45

gdjacobs wrote:
NamelessPlayer wrote:-Rocketfish 900W 80+ Silver modular PSU, sealed in box. Hardly vintage, but how many PSUs that specced-out do you see being sold for under $20? If anything, I'm running short on ATX PSUs for all my systems!

I'm not saying this is the case with Rocketfish. I'm not familiar with their PSU line. However, specs are easy if they're invented from thin air.

I'm well aware that specs aren't everything when it comes to PSUs. Especially when they don't have a review with ripple measurements backing 'em up.

But regardless, even if it only delivered half the wattage, it should be sufficient as a backup unit. Full modular cabling is icing on the cake. (Not that I should expect to need this any time soon; my main systems generally run on Super Flower, Seasonic or Enermax-based units, admittedly overkill for what they're powering. Especially the EVGA-badged Super Flower example, it's basically a 1300W Leadex. Bring on HEDT!)

Also, while Rocketfish isn't one of those top-tier brands, they've been known to rebadge surprisingly high-end things like cases.

If anything, what I really need is a TFX or FlexATX PSU that can deliver 400W of clean power and not assault the eardrums of everyone in the room, and getting one of those without spending a good chunk of change is a pain. But alas, that's what you gotta do when it comes down to replacing failed MDD G4 PSUs and fitting them loosely in the original proprietary PSU's location. (Typical ATX PSUs are way too big and require getting rid of the entire optical drive cage.)
NamelessPlayer

Postby Baoran » 2018-4-24 @ 10:16

Brickpad wrote:
Baoran wrote:I bought this 486 33Mhz pc from local auction site for 50 euros. No display or keyboard comes with it though. I think the case looks pretty good. if I would want to buy a pc from ebay, I basically would have to pay 50 euros just for shipping it to my country, so that is why I don't have many old cases. Hopefully it will arrive later this week.

I have the same case as well! The 3.5" turbo / reset / LED faceplate is removable and can be placed anywhere in the 3 external 3.5" bays.

Do you happen to know how you configure the number display on this case?
Baoran
Oldbie

Postby PCBONEZ » 2018-4-24 @ 10:21

NamelessPlayer wrote:If anything, what I really need is a TFX or FlexATX PSU that can deliver 400W of clean power and not assault the eardrums of everyone in the room, and getting one of those without spending a good chunk of change is a pain. But alas, that's what you gotta do when it comes down to replacing failed MDD G4 PSUs and fitting them loosely in the original proprietary PSU's location. (Typical ATX PSUs are way too big and require getting rid of the entire optical drive cage.)

Take a look at SFX.
In photos they look just like ATX but that's an illusion. They are much smaller than they appear.
They also go to higher watt ratings than TFX or Flex usually do.
GRUMPY OLD FART
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
PCBONEZ
Oldbie

Postby dionb » 2018-4-24 @ 11:01

PCBONEZ wrote:
NamelessPlayer wrote:If anything, what I really need is a TFX or FlexATX PSU that can deliver 400W of clean power and not assault the eardrums of everyone in the room, and getting one of those without spending a good chunk of change is a pain. But alas, that's what you gotta do when it comes down to replacing failed MDD G4 PSUs and fitting them loosely in the original proprietary PSU's location. (Typical ATX PSUs are way too big and require getting rid of the entire optical drive cage.)

Take a look at SFX.
In photos they look just like ATX but that's an illusion. They are much smaller than they appear.
They also go to higher watt ratings than TFX or Flex usually do.

And BeQuiet has a nice range of them, which is good news, because BeQuiet's PSUs generally do what the name suggests :)

Yesterday my salary came in, so of course I just had to mess around on various sites hunting for hardware - and looks like I got lucky. This Saturday I'm going to pick stuff up, so expect a few nice (if very yellowed) pics. One seller has a complete "Windows 95 system", with desktop AT case, Chicony keyboard, mouse, speaker & CRT. No idea on rest of specs, but worth it for the case alone and whatever is inside it at least works. Then driving on to another who has three cases and a monitor. Also no idea about specs, but one case is a Packard Bell Squarius uATX from 1998-1999, so a perfect home for my MSI MS-6168 (Packard Bell Bora Pro). One of the other two is older (with yellowing to match) which makes me optimistic about the contents. Worst case I get an AT desktop and a Packard Bell case I wanted, best case... who knows ;)
dionb
Oldbie

Postby OldCat » 2018-4-24 @ 11:45

Bought two keyboards and a mouse for my Highscreen AT build (showed case here a while ago):

getsohighscreen.jpg

One of them is Cherry, one is working. :lol: So cleaning and peroxide time, I guess.
OldCat

Postby Murugan » 2018-4-24 @ 11:49

OldCat wrote:Bought two keyboards and a mouse for my Highscreen AT build (showed case here a while ago):

getsohighscreen.jpg

One of them is Cherry, one is working. :lol: So cleaning and peroxide time, I guess.

OOOOO could use them too for my Highscreens :p
Nice!
My retrocollection: Commodore 486SX-25, Commodore 486-33C, Socket 3-5-7 systems, CD32 boxed,Atari 1040STE boxed,Atari 2600JR boxed,Atari 7800 boxed,NES boxed, Gameboy classic boxed,Amstrad GX4000 boxed,Spectrum Vega,C64 Mini :sweatdrop:
Murugan

Postby brostenen » 2018-4-24 @ 16:02

Just got these two sticks of identical 72pin Ram.... I have never seen such large modules in person before.
Are these ECC modules? I can't tell such things without googling the specific hardware in question.

Ram-01.jpg

Ram-02.jpg
Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick I tell.... (never tried though)

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011
brostenen
l33t

Postby luckybob » 2018-4-24 @ 17:55

Got a great Craigslist score:

Image Image

Got both for $20. Hell, the travel bag is worth that! A Macintosh SE with a hard drive, and a Classic. I was told one didn't work, but I will go through both and ge them tip-top. I have no idea what the serial port on the Classic is for, but I'll find out later today!
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.
luckybob
l33t

Postby Cyrix200+ » 2018-4-24 @ 19:06

luckybob wrote:Got a great Craigslist score:

Image Image

Got both for $20. Hell, the travel bag is worth that! A Macintosh SE with a hard drive, and a Classic. I was told one didn't work, but I will go through both and ge them tip-top. I have no idea what the serial port on the Classic is for, but I'll find out later today!

Cool. I'm not an Apple guy but I have always liked those kind of Macs. That serial port lookg like a ghetto mod :)
Retro workhorse: Asus P2B-LS | Tualatin Celeron 1400MHz | Matrox G400
-
Image gallery
Cyrix200+
Oldbie

Postby luckybob » 2018-4-24 @ 19:34

It's actually quite complex!

Image Image Image

I've only just started messing with this, but the factory motherboard needs to be recapped. A simple and cheap fix. But the upgrade clamps over the 68000 processor, and "upgrades" the system to a 68030@25mhz. It's like putting a 386 on top of a 8088. ALSO, it isn't a serial port, but a monochrome "1-page" monitor port with the option for a 2nd! (not installed) The previous owner actually did WORK on this machine!
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.
luckybob
l33t

Postby Cyrix200+ » 2018-4-24 @ 19:39

Oh wow, nice! I did not expect that!

luckybob wrote:It's actually quite complex!

Image <snip>
I've only just started messing with this, but the factory motherboard needs to be recapped. A simple and cheap fix. But the upgrade clamps over the 68000 processor, and "upgrades" the system to a 68030@25mhz. It's like putting a 386 on top of a 8088. ALSO, it isn't a serial port, but a monochrome "1-page" monitor port with the option for a 2nd! (not installed) The previous owner actually did WORK on this machine!
Retro workhorse: Asus P2B-LS | Tualatin Celeron 1400MHz | Matrox G400
-
Image gallery
Cyrix200+
Oldbie

Postby keropi » 2018-4-24 @ 19:39

wow a 030 accelerator as well? epic score in my book!
keropi
l33t++

Postby tegrady » 2018-4-24 @ 21:19

brostenen wrote:Just got these two sticks of identical 72pin Ram.... I have never seen such large modules in person before.
Are these ECC modules? I can't tell such things without googling the specific hardware in question.

Ram-01.jpg

Ram-02.jpg

Yes, that is ECC. You can tell by the extra chip in the center.
tegrady

Postby Almoststew1990 » 2018-4-24 @ 21:23

I bought an X1650 Pro 256Mb for my Pentium 4 machine. Quite an odd looking thing really, 1.5 slot cooler but "low profile" sort of thing. Should be a nice upgrade over my MX440.
Intel 4770K 4.3GHz | 8GB DDR3 2133MHz | AMD 390X | 750GB EVO SSD
Intel E8500 3.1GHz | 3GB DDR2 | Nvidia GeForce 285 1024MB | 750GB HDD
Slot A Athlon 800MHz | 256MB PC100 | Voodoo 3 2000 | SB Live! 5.1
Almoststew1990

Postby brostenen » 2018-4-24 @ 22:01

tegrady wrote:Yes, that is ECC. You can tell by the extra chip in the center.

Cool... Then I guess that a price tag of zero (only paid for shipping) is well in order.
Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick I tell.... (never tried though)

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011
brostenen
l33t

Postby dionb » 2018-4-24 @ 23:10

tegrady wrote:
brostenen wrote:Just got these two sticks of identical 72pin Ram.... I have never seen such large modules in person before.

Ram-01.jpg

Ram-02.jpg

Yes, that is ECC. You can tell by the extra chip in the center.

Er no, the extra chip only tells you it uses some form of parity. For regular parity you need one bit extra for every 8 bits, for ECC you need two bits extra. So you need to know the specs of the extra chip to be sure. If it's the same as the rest, it's just regular parity. If it has twice the capacity, it's ECC.
dionb
Oldbie

Postby Brickpad » 2018-4-25 @ 04:19

Baoran wrote:
Brickpad wrote:

Do you happen to know how you configure the number display on this case?

Unfortunately I don't. I put it away in storage at the moment. If you can get the numbers off the back of the display (if there is any), we may be able to figure it out.
Brickpad

PreviousNext

Return to General Old Hardware