VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 26180 of 52803, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yep, two MU440EX which are Packard Bell branded - I bought one a while ago as well, so now I have 3, the audio is pretty good for such a basic board. The Aopen AX6Bc boards are nice as well, but I also have the ZX chipset Micro ATX verison of the same board - the MX6B-EZ

Reply 26181 of 52803, by Vegge

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yesterdays stuff 😀
NOS Tseng ET4000AX, sold as EISA, but I would say Optibus.

IMG_1486s.jpg
Filename
IMG_1486s.jpg
File size
1.22 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Got no motherboard for it, but by a chance I looked at the local "ebay". This board was listed as ISA/EISA, but with only 2 32-bit ports I suspected otherwise 😎 And sure enough Optibus.
Not working according to seller, I was hoping it was because the seller had tried it with only one simm, as it was sold. The board had been stripped from cache and missing an 74F244. Cache is no problem but I don't have the IC at home. So the testing have to wait.

IMG_1479s.jpg
Filename
IMG_1479s.jpg
File size
1.69 MiB
Views
File license

8-bit EGA card

IMG_1485s.jpg
Filename
IMG_1485s.jpg
File size
599.16 KiB
Views
File license

8-bit SCSI controller

IMG_1483s.jpg
Filename
IMG_1483s.jpg
File size
1.31 MiB
Views
File license

200mb IBM SCSI drive

IMG_1484s.jpg
Filename
IMG_1484s.jpg
File size
1.02 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 26182 of 52803, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What is this device and should I buy it?

Attachments

• Unknown Device 02.png
    Filename
    Unknown Device 02.png
    File size
    944.97 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • Unknown Device 01.png
    Filename
    Unknown Device 01.png
    File size
    906.3 KiB
    Views
    File license

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 26184 of 52803, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
appiah4 wrote:

What is this device and should I buy it?

If you want to buy it, I have one NOS here I've been trying to sell for ages and will pretty much give away 😜

Unfortunately no-one seriously seems to be building late 1990s server farms 😵

Reply 26185 of 52803, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I see triple.

3cpu.jpg
Filename
3cpu.jpg
File size
1.66 MiB
Views
File license

Picture taken after cleaning thermal paste from them today.
3 cpus bought as untested for 10 euros. I hope at least one of them works.

Reply 26186 of 52803, by eisapc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Vegge wrote:

Yesterdays stuff 😀

IMG_1486s.jpg

Looks like Optibus for me too (never heard that expression before).
The board looks like a perfect fit, even without CPU and cache. I never heard of UMC doing EISA chipsets.
I own one or two of the same cards together with a matching motherboard and 32 bit IDE caching controller (labeled DC820 or DC880).
These used to sell as EISA due to the use of the same connectors.
Nice to see someone else owning one of these curiosities.
eisapc

Reply 26187 of 52803, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A bunch of stuff came in the mail today:

ASound-MA5-ASOUND-007.jpg Creative-3-D-Blaster-Banshee-CT6750.jpg Winfast-Ge-Force2-TH.jpg

Finally I have an above average quality ALS007 card that's mostly silent.. It's genuine (clone) OPL3 too.

The Voodoo Banshee was an opportunity grab for $3. Yes, give me that please.

The GoForce 2 MX is an accidental purchase, I thought it was a Ti and was very cheap so I impulse bought it.. Turned out to be an MX 400, which I will keep. I can use it instead of my GF256 DDR in builds. It had a faulty fan though, and instead of trying to come up with a replacement fan, I just used thermal tape to stick this heatsink on it. GeForce2 MX400s should be fairly easy to cool passively, no idea why they had an active cooler on it anyway, probably to help with OC'ing?

I haven't received the 486 lot yet, I will post it once I have it in my hands and get around to cleaning it.

Last edited by appiah4 on 2018-11-23, 13:55. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 26188 of 52803, by Thallanor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Vegge wrote:

Yesterdays stuff 😀
200mb IBM SCSI drive

IMG_1484s.jpg

I have a an almost identical drive, right down to the plethora of stickers slapped across the entire thing. 😀

Reply 26190 of 52803, by Katmai500

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
appiah4 wrote:

A bunch of stuff came in the mail today:

The GoForce 2 MX is an accidental purchase, I thought it was a Ti and was very cheap so I impulse bought it.. Turned out to be an MX 400, which I will keep. I can use it instead of my GF256 DDR in builds. It had a faulty fan though, and instead of trying to come up with a replacement fan, I just used thermal tape to stick this heatsink on it. GeForce2 MX400s should be fairly easy to cool passively, no idea why they had an active cooler on it anyway, probably to help with OC'ing?

I wouldn't be surprised if the fan was just for marketing purposes. "If it needs a fan it must be a fast graphics card" -average consumers, probably.

Reply 26191 of 52803, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Vegge wrote:
Yesterdays stuff :) NOS Tseng ET4000AX, sold as EISA, but I would say Optibus. […]
Show full quote

Yesterdays stuff 😀

IMG_1486s.jpg

Got no motherboard for it, but by a chance I looked at the local "ebay". This board was listed as ISA/EISA, but with only 2 32-bit ports I suspected otherwise 😎 And sure enough Optibus.
Not working according to seller, I was hoping it was because the seller had tried it with only one simm, as it was sold. The board had been stripped from cache and missing an 74F244. Cache is no problem but I don't have the IC at home. So the testing have to wait.

IMG_1479s.jpg

8-bit EGA card

IMG_1485s.jpg

8-bit SCSI controller

IMG_1483s.jpg

200mb IBM SCSI drive

IMG_1484s.jpg

I have the exact same branded ET4000 ISA card.
Unfortunately, I misplaced my floppy disks years ago.
Any chance you could make images of those disks and upload them somewhere?

Reply 26192 of 52803, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Katmai500 wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised if the fan was just for marketing purposes. "If it needs a fan it must be a fast graphics card" -average consumers, probably.

Likely. I also have this PCI MX400 that has an active cooler (it's a 64-bit card with a tiny heatsink and fan on top - why?).

Palit-Ge-Force-2-MX-400-PCI-64-MB.jpg

I will also replace this cooler with the same type of heatsink block above, and run it passive. It should work fine.. Right? Since I'm sticking them on with thermal adhesive tape, they will be very hard to remove later..

Reply 26193 of 52803, by Revolter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've broken my rule of not going over 45 bucks for any piece of retro hardware, and have purchased the only motherboard on the planet (yeah, sounds over-exaggerated, but for some reason it is just the sad truth) with the combination of: FCPGA-capable Socket 370, native 133FSB+AGP4X, AGP connector itself, microATX layout, multiple PCI slots and... PC/PCI pin header, be it damned. The QDI SynactiX 1 (seller photo attached).

It's for my slim-desktop Pentium III project, previously abandoned due to its <100% DOS compatibility when paired with my favorite soundcard - the ESS Solo-1 PCI (probably the only one out there that is capable of completely replacing an SBPro ISA card in terms of compatibility, but it requires a pre-ICH Intel chipset or a VIA one if no PC/PCI is available in order to do that).

I'll probably be bragging a lot in the future once it is received and the project assembled, but maybe not, we'll see 😁

Attachments

• synactix.jpg
    Filename
    synactix.jpg
    File size
    251.9 KiB
    Views
    File license

Celeron 800, 512MB, GeForce2 MX, ES1938S/DB S2, Windows ME/DOS 6.22

Reply 26194 of 52803, by Disruptor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Vegge wrote:
https://www.vogons.org/download/file.php?id=55793&t=1 https://www.vogons.org/download/file.php?id=55792&t=1 […]
Show full quote

file.php?id=55793&t=1
file.php?id=55792&t=1

Both graphics card and motherboard have printed LOCAL BUS. On the mainboard there also printed OPTI LOCAL BUS.
😎
It's interesting that there are resistor networks on your board to change from REV 1 OLB to REV 2 OLB.

Reply 26195 of 52803, by Vegge

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Disruptor wrote:

Both graphics card and motherboard have printed LOCAL BUS. On the mainboard there also printed OPTI LOCAL BUS.
😎
It's interesting that there are resistor networks on your board to change from REV 1 OLB to REV 2 OLB.

Yes it's easy to see now. The sellers photos on the other hand seemed to have been taken with a potato.

Yup, same to config cache, instead of a bunch of jumpers. 😀

Reply 26196 of 52803, by Vegge

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
eisapc wrote:
Looks like Optibus for me too (never heard that expression before). The board looks like a perfect fit, even without CPU and cac […]
Show full quote

Looks like Optibus for me too (never heard that expression before).
The board looks like a perfect fit, even without CPU and cache. I never heard of UMC doing EISA chipsets.
I own one or two of the same cards together with a matching motherboard and 32 bit IDE caching controller (labeled DC820 or DC880).
These used to sell as EISA due to the use of the same connectors.
Nice to see someone else owning one of these curiosities.
eisapc

Hopefully I'll get this working. I like wierd and random stuff. 😀 Last time I posted in this thread I had bought an ET4000AX with the Joindata-bus. Good luck finding motherboard for that, but who knows, someday perhaps.

Thallanor wrote:

I have a an almost identical drive, right down to the plethora of stickers slapped across the entire thing. 😀

The stickers are essential 🤣

Reply 26197 of 52803, by maverick21

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is a quiet good week for me... after some new RAM for my AWE32 and the Terratec TT1816S, I found a cheap Matrox Millenium 2 (AGP) on ebay... 8€ incl. shipping. And I hope that I'll get 5 brand new NE2000 network cards with manual and original driverdisk tomorrow. 😀

photo_2018-11-23_21-08-40.jpg
Filename
photo_2018-11-23_21-08-40.jpg
File size
236.57 KiB
Views
File license
photo_2018-11-23_21-08-39.jpg
Filename
photo_2018-11-23_21-08-39.jpg
File size
194.1 KiB
Views
File license

retro-rig1.jpg retro-rig2.jpg retro-rig3.jpg

Reply 26198 of 52803, by Camtheman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

2.88mb floppy drive for my PS/2 model 90 XP project, now to just find some 2.88mb disks.

https://i.imgur.com/PifGSTO.jpg

Also, if someone could message Intel486dx33 for me, he said he has a non-working model 90 XP and I can't message him myself because of stupid forum limitations.

Early 90s: IBM PS/2 Server 95/A, Pentium 66, 16MB RAM, XGA-2, IBM SCSI Corvette, SCSI2SD, 3 Com EtherLink III MCA, Resound 2 AdLib MCA
Late 90s: Micron Millenia MXE, ABIT VH6-II, Coppermine 1ghz, 1024MB, Voodoo 5 5500 PCI, GUS Max 2.1, 128GB SATA PNY SSD

Reply 26199 of 52803, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Picked up this lot mostly because it was cheap and had a Voodoo Banshee.

But it also has a couple other cards I didn't have.. namely the "fake" CT4520 and the Mediagraphics 3d 64-bit PCI video card.

all.jpg
Filename
all.jpg
File size
377.58 KiB
Views
File license

Anybody recognize this video card?

mediagraphics 3d.jpg
Filename
mediagraphics 3d.jpg
File size
370.71 KiB
Views
File license

Edit: Apparently is uses what looks like the last video chipset that Oak Technologies released:
MediaGraphics 3D 64 OTI6464217

Found reference to it here:
http://www.plasma-online.de/index.html?conten … re/oak_oti.html

And drivers from Oak Technologies from the web archive although they are not available for download there... had to get it from driverguide. I'll test when it arrives.
https://web.archive.org/web/20010629103450/ht … s/graptech.html

Anybody here have any experience with it? I couldn't really find any other information about it on the web.

Edit2: Here is some more info on it... Has Direct3d support as well.
https://www.thefreelibrary.com/Oak+Technology … r...-a018489130

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK