Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dionb wrote:
...and I did and it was :o […]
Show full quote
dionb wrote:

[...]

I think I might have hit the jackpot. Tomorrow afternoon I'm clearing out someone's attic. No idea exactly what I'm getting, but on the typically fuzzy, dark pictures I count at least 14 LPX or AT cases, a couple of boxes with "386SX-25" and "386DX-40" on them, piles of PCBs of every description, more large boxes without label bulging with something, and some CRTs including an absolutely titanic one by the look of it (no, not an FW900, but not that much smaller). I seriously expect my car is going to be the limiting factor.

...and I did and it was 😮

Pics later tonight after I've gotten the little ones to bed, but preliminary count while unloading the car:
- 18 complete systems, one SoA system, the rest 286-486, all AT or LPX, mainly desktops with speed LED. 2 of them IBM PS/2.
- 1 demo system with perspex case, XT components and all drives also fitted with perspex so you can see what they do.
- 1 NOS AT case with speed LED
- 2 external HDDs, one SCSI, the other something else, Xebec-branded so probably ST-506.
- 1 external SCSI tape drive
- 1 very crappy looking 13" VGA monitor
- 1 banana-box full of manuals and software, including sealed MSDOS 5 and MSDOS 6 Upgrade
- 7 old keyboards, all but one mechanical. Two Model Ms (matching the PS/2s)
- 3 Ikea carrier bags (that I wisely took along) full of boards and cards of all descriptions, with a lot of populated 486 motherboards, ISA and VLB VGA and I/O stuff.
- 1 Ikea carrier bag full of very old HDDs.

Just doing inventory of what I have is going to take ages, actually testing/doing anything with it even longer. I'll probably have to find some creative way of offloading most of this in bulk. But first children to bed, first inventory and pics 😜

That's an exciting haul. Plenty of fun to be had there.

Reply 26281 of 52803, by spiroyster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dionb wrote:

- 1 demo system with perspex case, XT components and all drives also fitted with perspex so you can see what they do.

😲
It would be illegal for you to not post pictures of this...

Reply 26282 of 52803, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dionb wrote:

Just doing inventory of what I have is going to take ages, actually testing/doing anything with it even longer. I'll probably have to find some creative way of offloading most of this in bulk.

If you need or want cash, then let me know 😊

Last edited by SpectriaForce on 2018-12-01, 23:36. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 26283 of 52803, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dionb wrote:
Right, first up the keyboards: https://tweakers.net/ext/f/t66LJYnxpEOJz9hCJb2londi/full.png […]
Show full quote

Right, first up the keyboards:
full.png

- BTC-5339R ISO (was discussing foil&foam including this model earlier today - serendipity. And yes, mushy as hell, makes the MYs feel good :'( )
- Cherry G81-3000HAU (MY... although feels much better than the other two for some reason)
- 2x Cherry G81-3000SAU ANSI (MY...)
- Cherry G80-1000HAU (feels like MX Black, but have to check)
- "Bona" ISNJK-268 (feels like Cherry MX Blue 😀 ), NOS, although lot of dust
- IBM Model M 1391401 (matches the PS/2)

Are you willing to part with one of the Cherry mechanical ones, I dare to ask....? (Having your location in mind, living in Bremen, Germany, myself.)

Reply 26284 of 52803, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'll be very willing to part with a large amount of this soon - but a) as the moderators keep - correctly - reminding, this isn't a marketplace, b) the hardware wasn't free, but I paid far, far less for it than the going rate - I wouldn't mind getting my costs reimbursed but I don't want to rip off the community for every last cent, just getting my costs back and being able to cross a few more things off my 'wanted' list would be more than welcome but above all c) if I were to dump everything on the market (Amibay, eBay), it would be like Mansa Musa's hajj - it would kill at least a part of the vintage economy.

No, I'll have a good think about best way to dispose of what I can't keep (which will be >90%), and rest assured it will be community-friendly.

So, with no more ado, here come the complete systems:
full.png

I won't give a boring list of all specs, just the highlights:
- 3x 286, 7x 386SX, 3x 386DX, 2x 486, 2x Pentium MMX, 1x Duron
- that "IBM" case is wierd, no actual IBM stickers anywhere and a very clone-y late 286-12 motherboard, but the outside could almost be 51xx, except that the whole top 1/3 of the case hinges up...
- one 386/486 combo board with VLB
- the PS/2 55 SX contains a 3Com MCA Ethernet card
- a couple of socketed 386 boards (was looking for one of those) with SIPP RAM
- the bottom two slimline desktops are 386SX-25 thin clients without HDD
- the 'upside-down' AT minitower is full of relabeled chips, with a "Zymos Poach 51 AA" VGA, which is actually a TVGA8800CS, and a dubious UniChip motherboard chipset that also reeks of relabeling.

Reply 26285 of 52803, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dionb wrote:
I'll be very willing to part with a large amount of this soon - but a) as the moderators keep - correctly - reminding, this isn' […]
Show full quote

I'll be very willing to part with a large amount of this soon - but a) as the moderators keep - correctly - reminding, this isn't a marketplace, b) the hardware wasn't free, but I paid far, far less for it than the going rate - I wouldn't mind getting my costs reimbursed but I don't want to rip off the community for every last cent, just getting my costs back and being able to cross a few more things off my 'wanted' list would be more than welcome but above all c) if I were to dump everything on the market (Amibay, eBay), it would be like Mansa Musa's hajj - it would kill at least a part of the vintage economy.

No, I'll have a good think about best way to dispose of what I can't keep (which will be >90%), and rest assured it will be community-friendly.

full.png

I won't give a boring list of all specs, just the highlights:
- 3x 286, 7x 386SX, 3x 386DX, 2x 486, 2x Pentium MMX, 1x Duron
- that "IBM" case is wierd, no actual IBM stickers anywhere and a very clone-y late 286-12 motherboard, but the outside could almost be 51xx, except that the whole top 1/3 of the case hinges up...
- one 386/486 combo board with VLB
- the PS/2 55 SX contains a 3Com MCA Ethernet card
- a couple of socketed 386 boards (was looking for one of those) with SIPP RAM
- the bottom two slimline desktops are 386SX-25 thin clients without HDD
- the 'upside-down' AT minitower is full of relabeled chips, with a "Zymos Poach 51 AA" VGA, which is actually a TVGA8800CS, and a dubious UniChip motherboard chipset that also reeks of relabeling.

Start a Discord channel and have members PM you for an invite. Worked for me with the large Pentium Pro haul.

Reply 26286 of 52803, by spiroyster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dionb wrote:

First ever computer I used was a 5150 clone that did this. I thought all 5150 cases did this?
dat I------B------M sticker though... 😵

No perspex? 😢

Reply 26287 of 52803, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So, rest of the hardware:
full.png

Again just the highlights:
- huge but stripped PS/2 MCA motherboard
- smaller but equally stripped 5150 (new rev) motherboard
- 12 486 motherboards, 8 of them identical NOS ISA-only boards with 486DX-33 on them
- 30 VGA cards, including 10 Diamond Speedstar 24X ISA cards (WDC chipset) and 6x NOS Miro Crystal 24S (S3 928, 3MB (!) VRAM VLB)
- 10 CGA/MDA/Hercules cards, including 3x ATi Small Wonder and an original IBM MDA
- 17 ISA NICs (mainly Intel 8/16)
- 29 serial and/or parallel cards...
- 23 IDE/Multi-IO cards, including 6x NIB Winbond VLB Multi-IO cards
- Quadram Quadboard XT mem card
- 2 SCSI, 1 ESDI, 1 MFM, 14 IDE internal HDDs
- Xebec external SASI HDD
- internal & external tape streamers
- 6x 3.5", 4x 5.25" FDD

Perhaps interesting - what I didn't take (because car was full to bursting):
- several AT minitower and desktop cases (same designs as the systems here)
- several VGA monitors (not the absolutely huge one from the pic I referred to though...)
- a NIB 17" CRT. Very big box.
- 2 old laserprinters (HP LJ III and a Kyocera)
- a full-size photocopier
- a box of plastic frame bits. Not quite sure what they were.

Finally the seller tried to convince me to take a NIB paper tray for an HP LJ4. He was convinced that was still a current model that I probably used at work 😵

spiroyster wrote:

[...]

No perspex? 😢

OK, by popular demand:

full.png

I fired it up for this pic. The HDD was actually spinning with the heads moving back and forward. No LEDs anywhere though.

Right now I'm off to bed - I'm sure to be woken by my children far too early tomorrow morning, and with all this junk downstairs I doubt my better half will feel like making the effort to keep them especially quiet...

Reply 26292 of 52803, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dionb wrote:
OK, by popular demand: […]
Show full quote

OK, by popular demand:

full.png

I fired it up for this pic. The HDD was actually spinning with the heads moving back and forward. No LEDs anywhere though.

Right now I'm off to bed - I'm sure to be woken by my children far too early tomorrow morning, and with all this junk downstairs I doubt my better half will feel like making the effort to keep them especially quiet...

Nice, do you know what kind of computer this is ?
Is it an IBM ?

Reply 26293 of 52803, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
xjas wrote:

Wow, that's neat. Love the cutaway HDD. Does it boot?

The one thing missing from this big load was a TTL monitor, so can't be 100% sure, but that HDD is definitely dead, with what looks like scratch marks from a head crash on the visible platter.

SW-SSG wrote:

Very clean, too.

Getting it that way was what caused the delay posting pics. This thing was filthy, as bad as the 51xx-clone case.

Intel486dx33 wrote:

Nice, do you know what kind of computer this is ?
Is it an IBM ?

A generic XT clone by the look of it. Definitely not the original 5150 or 5160.

Reply 26294 of 52803, by Roman555

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No today but recently. It's a PCI SATA RAID controller XFX Pevo64. I tried it with a Socket3 mainboard LS-486E and made a SST v4.78 report.

XFX-Revo64.jpg
XFX-Revo64-loading.jpg
XFX-Revo64-NSSI.jpg
XFX-Revo64-setup.jpg

Comments to report: LS486E_XFXRevo64_SATA_CF2GB 

CPU is in V86 mode: No
Processor : AMD Am5x86WB(tm) 133 MHz
CPUID (TFMS) : 04F4 Codename: X5 (0.35um)
Feature : 00000001h MMX(tm):No, IA SSE:No, IA SSE2:No
CPU speed index : 49.64

Total memory size : 8 MB
Memory Bandwidth : 112.86 MB/s

PCI Video : S3 ViRGE DX/GX GUI+3D Accelerator

VESA OEM String : S3 Incorporated. ViRGE /DX /GX
VESA video memory : 4096 KB (13877 KB/s)

Hard drive 0 : 992C 64H 63S 1.91 GB
Tested in FAST mode
Random access time : 33.32 ms
Linear verify speed : 85735 KB/s
Min/Max verify speed : 85690 KB/s / 85848 KB/s
Linear read speed : 2970 KB/s
Min/Max read speed : 2970 KB/s / 2971 KB/s
Buffered read speed : 3008 KB/s
Hard Drive speed index : 892.08

[ MS6168/PII-350/YMF754/98SE ]
[ 775i65G/E5500/9800Pro/Vortex2/ME ]

Reply 26295 of 52803, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dionb wrote:

I know that this is not a marketplace, but you might want to make your wife happy a.s.a.p., so check your pm 😊

Reply 26296 of 52803, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Roman555 wrote:
No today but recently. It's a PCI SATA RAID controller XFX Pevo64. I tried it with a Socket3 mainboard LS-486E and made a SST v4 […]
Show full quote

No today but recently. It's a PCI SATA RAID controller XFX Pevo64. I tried it with a Socket3 mainboard LS-486E and made a SST v4.78 report.

XFX-Revo64.jpg
XFX-Revo64-loading.jpg
XFX-Revo64-NSSI.jpg
XFX-Revo64-setup.jpg

Comments to report: LS486E_XFXRevo64_SATA_CF2GB 

CPU is in V86 mode: No
Processor : AMD Am5x86WB(tm) 133 MHz
CPUID (TFMS) : 04F4 Codename: X5 (0.35um)
Feature : 00000001h MMX(tm):No, IA SSE:No, IA SSE2:No
CPU speed index : 49.64

Total memory size : 8 MB
Memory Bandwidth : 112.86 MB/s

PCI Video : S3 ViRGE DX/GX GUI+3D Accelerator

VESA OEM String : S3 Incorporated. ViRGE /DX /GX
VESA video memory : 4096 KB (13877 KB/s)

Hard drive 0 : 992C 64H 63S 1.91 GB
Tested in FAST mode
Random access time : 33.32 ms
Linear verify speed : 85735 KB/s
Min/Max verify speed : 85690 KB/s / 85848 KB/s
Linear read speed : 2970 KB/s
Min/Max read speed : 2970 KB/s / 2971 KB/s
Buffered read speed : 3008 KB/s
Hard Drive speed index : 892.08

... put an SSD on a 486 😁

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 26297 of 52803, by Roman555

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
oeuvre wrote:
Roman555 wrote:

... put an SSD on a 486 😁

I haven't got any SSD, just CF and CF-SATA adapter

[ MS6168/PII-350/YMF754/98SE ]
[ 775i65G/E5500/9800Pro/Vortex2/ME ]

Reply 26298 of 52803, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dionb wrote:
So, with no more ado, here come the complete systems: https://tweakers.net/ext/f/ri2dZMOdOoKEOdlgmlK5mDZY/full.png […]
Show full quote

full.png

Just noticed that one of the cases is just like the one I found recently - contained a UMC PCI/VLB motherboard with an AMD DX100. Shame it doesn't have an LED display for the Turbo speed.

P_20181202_174027.jpg
Filename
P_20181202_174027.jpg
File size
703.83 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 26299 of 52803, by spiroyster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dionb wrote:
OK, by popular demand: […]
Show full quote
spiroyster wrote:

[...]

No perspex? 😢

OK, by popular demand:

full.png

This has to be the single most interesting bit of hardware I think I have seen on here. Perspex case is one thing... windows (no punn intended) on the components themselves are another entirely! Congrats.

That 5150 clone case... does it have a recess for a badge? All those style cases I have seen all have the same sized recess for the badge, which does not fit the I----B----M badge on there. I've not seen the IBM logo strecthed like that, but given the 'perspex' item this guy had, maybe it is some form of prototype itself? who knows.

Are those PS/2's MCA?