Topic actions

Reply 27860 of 52744, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
blurks wrote:
Predator99 wrote:

No didnt install anything so far. Always difficult to transfer files. Therfore i cannot expect a picture alter powering on without driver? Sorry i am no amiga Expert at all...

You bought an expensive piece of hardware for a system you don't know how to operate?

And who made you the hardware police? I buy all kinds of shit I'm not familiar with. That's the point.

Reply 27861 of 52744, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ouch. damn, that card has LOTS of caveats and incompatibilities with other common cards. Your better off looking for a PicassoII or something if you want an RTG card. That card looks more trouble than its worth

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 27862 of 52744, by blurks

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
liqmat wrote:

And who made you the hardware police? I buy all kinds of shit I'm not familiar with. That's the point.

Please don't get triggered so easily. Everytime a member of Vogons gets triggered a kid in Africa dies. You know that.

Reply 27863 of 52744, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
blurks wrote:
liqmat wrote:

Please don't get triggered so easily. Everytime a member of Vogons gets triggered a kid in Africa dies. You know that.

I'm not triggered, I found your comment pretentious.

Last edited by liqmat on 2019-03-23, 19:55. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 27864 of 52744, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Today's arrival :
O8MrI4xl.jpg

7yrdJIzl.jpg

This computer contains a working PCChips M912 (they seem fairly common actually) with VLB controller and VLB trident, a sound blaster 16 CT2290 with a 1748 chip in the socket !
HDD is 420MB seagate, and CPU is AMD 486DX4 with 8KB of write-back cache (1996 manufacturing date !)

The whole thing is kinda nasty and smells (when I scrub it with paper, I get brown remains on the paper), but I can get that off with some elbow grease.

There's also another incomplete system (it only came with 2 fdds, PSU, motherboard and a vlb controller, nothing else, the "U" shaped cover is also missing (but I have another case that's exactly the same, so I can swap covers).

Speaking of the motherboard :
uOOVtiEl.jpg

Looks ok doesn't it ?

Well look twice
JPbmtYVl.jpg

I have absolutely no idea what happened to that poor socket (the mobo came without any CPU, that DX2 is fine 😉 ), but the motherboard seems ok on the other side so I don't know ...

I've tried to turn on the mobo with the DX2 on the photo. There is some activity on the bus when the CPU is inserted and ram is inserted, but it's very slow and I can't get it to POST. Either this horrible thing in the socket or the fact the battery started to leak prevents the board from POSTing. Anyways, I think that will be one more motherboard to fix ... (And since it has fake cache, I'll also need to fix that)

in the meantime, I also bought a Sound Blaster 2.0 BOXED. Can't wait to receive that 😀 (especially because it's localized, so it's not even as common as english boxes !)

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 27865 of 52744, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This for just under 94 Euro. Comes with a Datasette drive, two Joysticks and some tapes.
I know it is a bit yellow, so the seller knocked off some of the price.

Breadbin-01.JPG
Filename
Breadbin-01.JPG
File size
754.34 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Breadbin-02.JPG
Filename
Breadbin-02.JPG
File size
776.04 KiB
Views
File license
Breadbin-03.JPG
Filename
Breadbin-03.JPG
File size
709.71 KiB
Views
File license

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 27866 of 52744, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Predator99 wrote:
Amiga Merlin Graphics card within a lot of PC stuff. Was not that cheap but quite OK. Did a quick test in my A2000 but displayed […]
Show full quote

Amiga Merlin Graphics card within a lot of PC stuff. Was not that cheap but quite OK.
Did a quick test in my A2000 but displayed nothing. Anybody knows if a driver is required to activate this?

IMG_2473r.jpg
IMG_2474r.jpg

Holy fuck.... That is one good catch. They are rare as unicorn shit these days. (not every day that there are an rainbow)

Reply 27867 of 52744, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
blurks wrote:

It’s not that people here trigger easily, what’s happening is that your posts are often obnoxious and people react. And it’s a range of people reacting too I notice, so if you run the numbers then it’s pretty easy to identify the problem.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 27868 of 52744, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
brostenen wrote:

This for just under 94 Euro. Comes with a Datasette drive, two Joysticks and some tapes.

Good times incoming! The breadbins are magic.

I’m rarely happy with my paint jobs but I was happy with how this very yellowed C64 came up with an off the shelf spray pack:

Commodore 64 Media Centre

It’s still looking great years later and was an easy job.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 27869 of 52744, by quicknick

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Deksor wrote:

Today's arrival :

That's intriguing. The burned pin is a Vss (ground) one. Maybe someone inserted the CPU in the wrong orientation. Anyway, might be salvageable. A photo of the socket with the cover removed would be... interesting 😀
The battery corrosion looks light and easy to repair.

Reply 27870 of 52744, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I removed the socket cover to try to clean that mess a bit better ... it's definitely not ideal, but it does the trick. Nothing special underneath there, it's burned there too.

I was thinking the same, probably someone inserting the CPU in the wrong order.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 27871 of 52744, by Vegge

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Some stuff that arrived during the week 😀

More PPro, this batch included the pictured CPUs, two defective mobos, 4 nos coolers, two 486 CPUs (dx2-66 & dx4-100) and an NIC.

IMG_2506s.jpg
Filename
IMG_2506s.jpg
File size
1.07 MiB
Views
File license
IMG_2507s.jpg
Filename
IMG_2507s.jpg
File size
1.57 MiB
Views
File license

Dell Optiplex GXPro. actually traded to get this, mostly for it being PPro. Got another "identical" machine with it but that one is a PII 450mhz. No cover on that one though.

IMG_2478s.jpg
Filename
IMG_2478s.jpg
File size
898.86 KiB
Views
File license

486 CPU, just because.

IMG_2474s.jpg
Filename
IMG_2474s.jpg
File size
1.12 MiB
Views
File license

And I bought this on the local auctionsite only to find out it was a fellow vogoner selling it 🤣 Mostly interested in the case since I have its twin already.

IMG_2466s.jpg
Filename
IMG_2466s.jpg
File size
1.02 MiB
Views
File license
Last edited by Vegge on 2019-03-23, 23:48. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 27872 of 52744, by Vegge

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh, almost forgot I bought this

IMG_2524s.jpg
Filename
IMG_2524s.jpg
File size
1.26 MiB
Views
File license
IMG_2523s.jpg
Filename
IMG_2523s.jpg
File size
1.05 MiB
Views
File license

This is a videowall setup for twelve 19" screens. Sadly it only came with six adaptercables so I need to find six more for full videowall action.

Then I only have to find wallspace for it 🤣

Reply 27874 of 52744, by SETBLASTER

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

today i bought this monitor
i like it a lot. an LG 19inch 720p led and view angles are awesome.

i always wanted a square lcd monitor since my first lcd gave me the best years of gaming with counterstrike 1.6, it was an Acer with really poor vertical view angles.

19inch monitors will be rare someday, and most of them dont look nice. This LG came at the time they started to move on with withscreen i belive

3790-9074-1.jpg

Reply 27875 of 52744, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Okay, so I knew of the candy Apple iMac-like PC cases from around 2000, but never knew they made monitors in the same style.

Actually, I think most candy PC cases look better than that monitor foot... 🤣

Reply 27876 of 52744, by FuzzyLogic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
x0zm_ wrote:
The HP Internet Advisor I bought arrived early this morning, just before I was going to head off for the day. Only took a couple […]
Show full quote

The HP Internet Advisor I bought arrived early this morning, just before I was going to head off for the day. Only took a couple of pics since I had to head off.

Will try it out this weekend!
UTnYifVl.jpg

Who doesn't love ridiculous niche use portable PCs? 🤣

Neat. That thing looks like it has a T1 smart jack and DSU built in. It probably was used for installing and testing T1 data and voice circuits back when a T1 was the thing to get.

Reply 27877 of 52744, by FuzzyLogic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Vegge wrote:

Some stuff that arrived during the week 😀

More PPro, this batch included the pictured CPUs, two defective mobos, 4 nos coolers, two 486 CPUs (dx2-66 & dx4-100) and an NIC.

IMG_2507s.jpg

Beautiful........ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-nuV36fvgQ

Reply 27878 of 52744, by blurks

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

25 USD for all that? Hell yes, take my money!
Power Mac G4 "Windtunnel" (1.25 GHz DP, 2 GB RAM, GF4 MX) + Apple Studio Display 17" + Keyboard/Mouse

g4_wt.jpg
Filename
g4_wt.jpg
File size
292.32 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 27879 of 52744, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
badmojo wrote:
Good times incoming! The breadbins are magic. […]
Show full quote
brostenen wrote:

Good times incoming! The breadbins are magic.

I’m rarely happy with my paint jobs but I was happy with how this very yellowed C64 came up with an off the shelf spray pack:

Commodore 64 Media Centre

It’s still looking great years later and was an easy job.

True that. And it is a real C64, and not the 64-c. It will go through all the tests and I will sure be comparing it to my 64-c that I have recapped and now put up for sale. So hope it is working. Need to recap it once I recieve it.