VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 27920 of 52803, by God Of Gaming

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

^ nice, bought the same thing recently myself, its rather noisy tho, so I'm not using it right now. Cooler seems identical to asus nvidia 6600 gt, so probably an aftermarket cooler will fit fine

1999 Dream PC project | DirectX 8 PC project | 2003 Dream PC project

Reply 27921 of 52803, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

i toke the fan apart, the fan has a bearing, i just put the bearing a few minutes in oil and build it in again.

Now its ok.

Attachments

• fan.jpg
    Filename
    fan.jpg
    File size
    97.2 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 27922 of 52803, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
respect2759 wrote:
dionb wrote:
respect2759 wrote:

Hello, I am new here, this is my todays finding

Nice little LPX. Watch out with the RAM - you almost certainly need four identical 30p SIMMs in the first bank to be able to boot, not the two in here now.

I dont have more 30p SIMMS only these two. This is my oldest PC I am new in retro field I was only collecting now I want to start with builds. So I have to buy now 4 identical? Here we dont have much retro stuff and ebay shipping fees are too high for me (for a 1euro thing postage is about 10-15) I found the manual online, its a Siemens Nixdorf S26361-D756-v motherboard.

You need 4 identical, so 4 new ones or 2 of same kind as you already have. You should be able to find cheaper options than that - I set my account on a popular auction site to .sk, object location to global and found an option for 4x1MB in DE for EUR 8 with EUR 6 shipping.

Reply 27923 of 52803, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This one is definitely a keeper. Found on local auctions.

286 Suntac motherboard, full size MFM controller, full size VGA, hardcard (unfortunatelly disk won't spin up, I might attempt a repair or replacement).

Also take note of the sticker on the case and behold the ultimate computing power of this machine.

Attachments

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 27927 of 52803, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
oeuvre wrote:

you must make replicas of this sticker

QFT

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 27928 of 52803, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
oeuvre wrote:

Yes, definitely.

What we need is either a high quality in-focus macro shot of the sticker along with the measurements OR a high quality scan done with a hand scanner.
Or you could lay the cover on a flatbed and scan it that way. 600dpi should be good.

Here is a link to the page that the sticker originally came on:
http://www.cpucollection.se/details.php?image_id=1252

And the pic snagged from said link:

Intel_sticker_kit_Math_Coprocessor_installed.jpg
Filename
Intel_sticker_kit_Math_Coprocessor_installed.jpg
File size
145.13 KiB
Views
File license

I'll clean up the image if we can get a scan of it.

Will the black smudge come off easily? Is it a paper sticker or more of a plasticy sticker?

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 27929 of 52803, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Predator99 wrote:

Looking great! Can you send pictures of the VGA and the board?

Is the Hardcard-Drive MFM or IDE?

It's MFM. I can hear the head servo 'knocking' on powerup, but disk won't spin up...

I'm going to dismantle it today and I will take detailed pics of the cards and the motherboard.

Also I just bought (from the same guy) these three PCs... he seems to import these machines from Germany...

First two are Highscreen 286s with what seems as Octek Fox M motherboards. I find interesting that the first one has Winchester/MFM hard drive but it's definitely IDE era PC...

I pretty much hate those Highscreen cases - very poor quality (thin sheet metal, poorly designed) but they seem to hold very decent prices for some reason (I recently sold one for the same price as I bought each of these three PCs).

(pics are not mine).

286-1.jpg
Filename
286-1.jpg
File size
884.77 KiB
Views
File license
286-1a.jpg
Filename
286-1a.jpg
File size
1.07 MiB
Views
File license
286-2.jpg
Filename
286-2.jpg
File size
878.52 KiB
Views
File license
286-2a.jpg
Filename
286-2a.jpg
File size
1009.76 KiB
Views
File license
286-3.jpg
Filename
286-3.jpg
File size
851.83 KiB
Views
File license

I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 27930 of 52803, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
286-3a.jpg
Filename
286-3a.jpg
File size
1006.85 KiB
Views
File license

I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 27931 of 52803, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Finally recieved the breadbin. And I am extremely happy. The image is extremely sharp for a Commodore64, the sound is perfect. The two joysticks are not that good. They are nearly worn out. I got a tapedeck/datasette and with it I got 26 tape's. The only thing about it, are that the case is halfway urine colour. Yet it is the image quality that I am extremely surprised with. If anyone are qurious on to what PCB assy it has, then it is AssyNr: 250407. And it should not be that hard to source, as it is one of the most produced boards. The 250466 are a bit harder to source, yet that should have the absolute best quality of all C64's. That is the first release of the PAL C64 Model C. Anyway.... Not bad for 93 Euro.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 27932 of 52803, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote:
Yes, definitely. […]
Show full quote
oeuvre wrote:

Yes, definitely.

What we need is either a high quality in-focus macro shot of the sticker along with the measurements OR a high quality scan done with a hand scanner.
Or you could lay the cover on a flatbed and scan it that way. 600dpi should be good.

No problem. I will do that. I will try to make good quality photos first before I attempt stain removal. I want to retrobright this case so I will have to remove the sticker from the case (unless it's a paper one then I will probably let it live and won't do retrobright it).

EDIT: Good news, it's printed on PCV film so it should be no problem cleaning it up and even removing it (I will take pictures before removing in case it's dammage in process).

EDIT 2: Pics of the cards and motherboard. I have another Suntac motherboard almost just like it. It's amazing how clean these 30+ years old card are. Only motherboard needs some dusting.

WP_20190327_21_54_43_Richa.jpg
Filename
WP_20190327_21_54_43_Richa.jpg
File size
691.26 KiB
Views
File license
WP_20190327_21_55_08_Richa.jpg
Filename
WP_20190327_21_55_08_Richa.jpg
File size
785.05 KiB
Views
File license
WP_20190327_21_56_00_Richa.jpg
Filename
WP_20190327_21_56_00_Richa.jpg
File size
720.12 KiB
Views
File license
WP_20190327_21_56_33_Richb.jpg
Filename
WP_20190327_21_56_33_Richb.jpg
File size
676.15 KiB
Views
File license
WP_20190327_22_01_13_Richb.jpg
Filename
WP_20190327_22_01_13_Richb.jpg
File size
846.82 KiB
Views
File license

Hard drive on this hardcard is Microscience HH 325.

Also this fancy, fabulous sh*t the Video Seven VGA does during POST:

https://youtu.be/5phWUS-pAto

I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 27933 of 52803, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Got this ATX case for $4 because it was on sale at a walk's distance. Not sure what to build in it. It has a Windows 2000 Pro 1-2 CPU COA sticker on it so it must be from the Pentium 3 / Athlon era.

Attachments

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 27934 of 52803, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
HanJammer wrote:

EDIT: Good news, it's printed on PCV film so it should be no problem cleaning it up and even removing it (I will take pictures before removing in case it's dammage in process).

EDIT 2: Pics of the cards and motherboard. I have another Suntac motherboard almost just like it. It's amazing how clean these 30+ years old card are. Only motherboard needs some dusting.

Really cool cards inside! Never seen this VGA. Would be happy if you add your board to my Suntac Thread 😉

Reply 27935 of 52803, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Predator99 wrote:
HanJammer wrote:

Really cool cards inside! Never seen this VGA. Would be happy if you add your board to my Suntac Thread 😉

I will :]
It's my sixth or seventh Suntac motherboard too BTW...

Also, a one drink and few prayers to older AT gods later and... HDD spins up...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr4IZXnQNnQ

I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 27936 of 52803, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HanJammer wrote:

Nice lot you just got here! I also have a few Suntac boards as well. Am I wrong or do you have 70ns 1Mx8 RAM chips on that board? Quite the overkill for a 286/10! 😲

also, nice looking cat on the video 😀

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 27937 of 52803, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Bought this boxed SB 2.0 😁

box.png
Filename
box.png
File size
799.23 KiB
Views
File license
content.png
Filename
content.png
File size
786.09 KiB
Views
File license

Interesting fact : it's localized ! So having one in my tongue is even better 😁. Can't wait to receive it ! It will be my oldest boxed sound card (at the moment it's the AWE64)

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 27938 of 52803, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HanJammer wrote:

First two are Highscreen 286s with what seems as Octek Fox M motherboards. I find interesting that the first one has Winchester/MFM hard drive but it's definitely IDE era PC...

I pretty much hate those Highscreen cases - very poor quality (thin sheet metal, poorly designed) but they seem to hold very decent prices for some reason (I recently sold one for the same price as I bought each of these three PCs).

Highscreen was the brand of the former Vobis computer outlet chain in Germany.
Cheapest stuff of worst quality.
They took what was cheapest at the time and threw that together, and then you had a "highscreen" PC.
MFM HDD in early IDE age is so symptomatic... they took the surpluses that nobody wanted and sold them as "brand".

Also these are dangerous... the thin sheet metal of the cases is sharp like knives.

If you want quality, be careful, it is rare to find in such boxes.

Reply 27939 of 52803, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This guy seems to really like them though https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoD0KNEdXnY He did a really good job at restoring his computers ^^

I have a highscreen computer (pentium era) and even though I broke the motherboard years ago, I don't think they're that bad, (or at least they weren't too bad by that time).

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative