Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 28500 of 52890, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Deksor wrote:

I tested that Seagate ST412 with a 486 and my original 5160 MFM controller and it works flawlessly (not even a single bad sector found !) Very cool 😁

Interesting, I have never tried that. Does it also get recognized in Windows?

Btw, you can also use an IBM MDA card in a later x86 board.

Reply 28501 of 52890, by Salient

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Bought this on Marktplaats to go into my 486 pc, together with my scb-55:
Creative%20Sound%20Blaster%2016%20MCD%2016-bit%20ISA%20card%20%5BCT-1750%5D.jpg

Got this for free from a friend of mine 😀
Creative%20Sound%20Blaster%20AWE64%20Gold%20with%2012MB%20RAM%2016-bit%20ISA%20card%20%5BCT-4390%5D.jpg
and yes, it's the 8MB memory card:
Creative%20Memory%20Upgrade%20Module%208MB%20for%20AWE64%20%5BCT-1930%5D.jpg

MIDI comparison website: << Wavetable.nl >>
(Always) looking for: Any Wavetable daughterboard, MIDI Module (GM/GS/XG)

Reply 28502 of 52890, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
MMaximus wrote:

nice! where did you find this relic?

I stumbled upon a WD 8-bit MFM controller card the other day in my pool of parts, and I thought I could use it do drive my Kalok MFM HDD in my XT. But no luck, I guess it will only work with these ST-412 drives or similar...

It was an ad from Leboncoin.fr

Maybe you can use it with another BIOS ?

SpectriaForce wrote:

Interesting, I have never tried that. Does it also get recognized in Windows?

Btw, you can also use an IBM MDA card in a later x86 board.

Well maybe I guess, but I couldn't get ATA to work alongside this. I guess you can't have two controllers alongside one another in the same computer (at least for 8bit MFM and 16bit/32bit IDE).
Maybe that'd have worked if I had used a 16 bit ISA mfm controller, but it's in my 286 and it's not gonna get out of there 😁

Yeah I have MDA cards but I think I'll try to rebuild a IBM XT 5160 instead, because I have 85% of an IBM XT now (pretty much all the parts except the PSU, the A floppy drive and the case, although it might be solved soon for the case and PSU 😁)

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 28503 of 52890, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This was available locally for £20 so I snapped it up to replace my vibra 16 waveffects and sit along side my awe 32...

Don't know much about it though other than no proper opl chip.

PdirHUz.jpg

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 28504 of 52890, by mpe

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Picked two early PCI high-end twin cards.

(1) Spea V7 Mirage P64V Turbo with S3 868 and DRAM and (2) V7 Mercury P64V with S3 968 and VRAM

always wanted to check what is the difference between VRAM and DRAM.

Last edited by mpe on 2019-05-05, 21:58. Edited 1 time in total.

Blog|NexGen 586|S4

Reply 28506 of 52890, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:
I had promised myself to not buy more Slot-1 stuff, I was actually selling some of mine off, but I could not pass up on a Slot-1 […]
Show full quote

I had promised myself to not buy more Slot-1 stuff, I was actually selling some of mine off, but I could not pass up on a Slot-1 mATX with onboard Matrox G200 and Crystal CS4280, even if it was an HP OEM board.

HP-Sherwood-B.jpg Intel-Pentium-III-500.jpg

Wow, what are the odds...
This is the exact (!) same mATX board I received today in the post as well, and was working on/with today. It is an HP Vectra VEi8 system board. Mine is running inside a fitting Vectra with a PIII 800, 512MB RAM as well as several DSP and Synth cards by Yamaha. This is going to be my synthesizer computer, which will be utilized as well for the recording of old school MIDI soundtracks rendered through XG hardware.

There is a modified BIOS revision available from Wim's team, which enables this board to accept HDDs of up till 128GB.

I don't know what the max processor supported is (it's 440ZX, ergo FSB100 only), but I am running a PIII 800 which runs fine, as it actually draws less power than the CPU the board came with (PIII 550)

Reply 28507 of 52890, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nothing too exciting, but picked up these various PCI video cards and one Riva 128 AGP for practical purposes (testing motherboards, etc.).

video_cards.jpg
Filename
video_cards.jpg
File size
1.86 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 28508 of 52890, by respect2759

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
liqmat wrote:

Nothing too exciting, but picked up these various PCI video cards and one Riva 128 AGP for practical purposes (testing motherboards, etc.).

here it takes about a month to get one PCI graphics card 😵

Soyo 019R1 AM386DX 40MHz, 8Mb ram, 512Kb Trident 9000 Graphics
S26361-D756-X Intel i486DX 33MHz, 4Mb ram, 512Kb - 1Mb graphics on board

Reply 28510 of 52890, by Socket3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
retropol wrote:

more items found in my boxes with old stuff, this is going to be part of my pentium 200mmx build... I hope it fits the time...

btw - is this genuine or any fake version / clone of real voodoo? i am confused there is no nice logos of voodoo etc...

There's no such thing as a fake voodoo card as far as I know.

Reply 28511 of 52890, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
liqmat wrote:

video_cards.jpg

Millennium PCI and Voodoo 3 PCI not exciting for you?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 28512 of 52890, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
respect2759 wrote:

here it takes about a month to get one PCI graphics card 😵

Well, that does suck.

arncht wrote:

What is the chipset of the paradise? Ark2000?

Haven't looked it up yet, but on the back it says: BALI 64 PCI 1MB

appiah4 wrote:

Millennium PCI and Voodoo 3 PCI not exciting for you?

I have a stack of Rev A Millennium PCI cards so this will be my first Rev B. As for the card I think you mean, I have not looked it up yet. On the back it says Stealth III S500 PCI 32MB. Is that a Voodoo 3? Neat. Sorry, the only Voodoo I ever owned was a Voodoo 1 in the summer of '99. That was a good summer. Then I gave it to my wife's half brother when I got a TNT2. That was a mistake. 😵

Last edited by liqmat on 2019-05-05, 15:37. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 28513 of 52890, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No wait you are right thats no Voodoo its actually a Savage4 PCI, something I am looking for just as much.. Great find!

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 28515 of 52890, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Salient wrote:

Bought this on Marktplaats to go into my 486 pc, together with my scb-55:

Got this for free from a friend of mine 😀

and yes, it's the 8MB memory card:

It's called luck to find such items 😉

Reply 28516 of 52890, by Merovign

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Stunning deal on an "old video card I think" for... soda (and I spent gas money, and in CA that's edging on $4.50/gal).

Herc1.jpg
Filename
Herc1.jpg
File size
602.23 KiB
Views
File license

Hmmm.... it's still sealed in what seems to be the original static bag, so I haven't opened it yet. The eagle-eyed may spot two details here.

Herc2.jpg
Filename
Herc2.jpg
File size
681.4 KiB
Views
File license

Yep, PCI Hercules Stingray 128/3D. 3DFX Voodoo Rush w/ Alliance 2D video. I am torn about whether to open it. It's not like it's in a box, but technically it's still sealed and I don't really have an appropriate machine ready to go (except the DTK PII system from Liqmat!).

I would still like to find a Voodoo 3 someday, just because. But this does fill a hole in my collection!

I also had a small haul I may or may not post in the other daily thread thing. It may be later, it's all still in my car.

*Too* *many* *things*!

Reply 28517 of 52890, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hey Merovign, nice score!

BTW, I came across quite a few small Number Nine AGP cards and they are going to be recycled. Not sure if I should grab them and spread the joy or just let them go to their final destination in the silicon sky. I think they are $2-$3 each at the recycler. They are all very clean and intact.

<sigh>

I have got to stop running into this stuff. It's exhausting me.

sorta superman.gif
Filename
sorta superman.gif
File size
290.01 KiB
Views
File license

I think it might be this model:

http://www.vgamuseum.info/index.php/cpu/item/ … 6-s3-savage4-lt

Reply 28518 of 52890, by Merovign

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
liqmat wrote:

Hey Merovign, nice score!

BTW, I came across quite a few small Number Nine AGP cards and they are going to be recycled. Not sure if I should grab them and spread the joy or just let them go to their final destination in the silicon sky. I think they are $2-$3 each at the recycler. They are all very clean and intact.

AAAAUGH Oh okay I could probably buy one more. I think I have one of those.

I'm not sure whether/how much you could get for one of those. I did buy one of ebay a while back so it is possible to sell them.

I missed a trailer load of "old computers" this week. The guy who refers me to stuff was really apologetic about it, wanted to let me do a quick rummage before it got shipped off but the timing didn't work out.

I got a Gateway 233MX tower and a CompUSA PIII tower, haven't opened either one up. Got a couple of keyboards, one AT and one PS/2 Gateway 2000 with the proper layout (bar enter key). Almost all my vintage keyboards have l-shaped enter keys, which I don't use.

*Too* *many* *things*!

Reply 28519 of 52890, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Almoststew1990 wrote:
This was available locally for £20 so I snapped it up to replace my vibra 16 waveffects and sit along side my awe 32... […]
Show full quote

This was available locally for £20 so I snapped it up to replace my vibra 16 waveffects and sit along side my awe 32...

Don't know much about it though other than no proper opl chip.

PdirHUzm.jpg

Never mind, it sounds absolutely awful! My Vibra sounds much better...

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC