Bought these (retro) hardware today

Discussion about old PC hardware.

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Postby dionb » 2019-5-11 @ 23:01

luckybob wrote:
dionb wrote:Actually newspaper is pretty good - its electrical characteristics are almost exactly the same as antistatic bags (i.e. it conducts very, very badly, but nonzero - so ESD-safe) and a few layers of it give better mechanical protection than a bag.

Compared to some of the other packaging I sometimes see, newspaper is one of my favorites.

I'm gonna call bs on this. But i'd wager is is better than plain styrofoam (not much of a competition there, bth)

Compared to plain styrofoam a woolen jumper woundn't even sound too bad. But why BS? The job of antistatic bags is to avoid any static charge buildup by (very slowly) leaking charge, and at the same time equalizing charges by conducting at least something. That's not rocket science, it's just a very high but very much not infinite resistance. Essentially antistatic bags are just reliably, reproducibly conducting through their material, while slowly leaking charge to ensure that whatever potential is present inside is the same as outside.

Newspaper isn't reliable or reproducible, but it essentially does the same. It beats any form of (non-conductive) plastic packaging, which unfortunately seems the norm.
I tell non-business shippers to use aluminum foil. 100% sure to short all pins together, thus preventing esd from penetrating the chip.

Assuming the aluminium foil doesn't tear. But yes, full conductivity - so essentially a faraday cage - is another approach that can work.

Edit:
Got my new toys working today

Puretek PT-2037, aka UMC UM85C418F-GP VLB board. Replaces my crappy UM85C408AF ISA VGA board in my UMC build. So far so good, it improves 3DBench scoers from 26.3 to 37.0. No FDD though, so I still need my multi-I/O card for that.
dionb
Oldbie

Postby retardware » 2019-5-12 @ 05:10

dionb wrote:
luckybob wrote:
dionb wrote:Actually newspaper is pretty good - its electrical characteristics are almost exactly the same as antistatic bags (i.e. it conducts very, very badly, but nonzero - so ESD-safe) and a few layers of it give better mechanical protection than a bag.

I'm gonna call bs on this. But i'd wager is is better than plain styrofoam (not much of a competition there, bth)

Styrofoam is a real MOS killer. Rub two styro pieces in the dark and watch the fireworks yourself.

Newspaper is somewhat conductive, which styrofoam is not.
For this reason it is very hard to impossible to produce a plastics-style static electricity lightshow using newspaper.
It also makes using silica bags unnecessary.
(Of course, plastics-laminated or shiny-color-printed paper is no "newspaper".)

Aluminium foil can be very dangerous.
Just a slight piece of foil overlooked flying through a computer can cause the weirdest effects, if it doesn't directly short and shoot the system. For this reason I never recommend this.
retardware
Oldbie

Postby respect2759 » 2019-5-12 @ 12:30

Tomorrow I have these at home:
S3 Trio AGP
MSI MX4000 T128 AGP
Club 3D Radeon X1650 Pro
ASUS P5PE-VM LGA 775

+ an AsRock K7S41 socket 462 board with no photo from seller
This whole pack for 10 euros. Its 30km from me, but fortunately in the city where my gf works so it will be a 2in1, lunch together and a nice buy too :cool:
Attachments
Asus P5PE-VM LGA 775.jpg
Club3D Radeon X1650 Pro 256MB.jpg
MSI MX4000 T128 AGP.jpg
S3 Trio.jpg
respect2759

Postby Intel486dx33 » 2019-5-12 @ 13:11

dionb wrote:
luckybob wrote:

Compared to some of the other packaging I sometimes see, newspaper is one of my favorites.

Compared to plain styrofoam a woolen jumper woundn't even sound too bad. But why BS? The job of antistatic bags is to avoid any static charge buildup by (very slowly) leaking charge, and at the same time equalizing charges by conducting at least something. That's not rocket science, it's just a very high but very much not infinite resistance. Essentially antistatic bags are just reliably, reproducibly conducting through their material, while slowly leaking charge to ensure that whatever potential is present inside is the same as outside.

Newspaper isn't reliable or reproducible, but it essentially does the same. It beats any form of (non-conductive) plastic packaging, which unfortunately seems the norm.
I tell non-business shippers to use aluminum foil. 100% sure to short all pins together, thus preventing esd from penetrating the chip.

Assuming the aluminium foil doesn't tear. But yes, full conductivity - so essentially a faraday cage - is another approach that can work.

Edit:
Got my new toys working today

Puretek PT-2037, aka UMC UM85C418F-GP VLB board. Replaces my crappy UM85C408AF ISA VGA board in my UMC build. So far so good, it improves 3DBench scoers from 26.3 to 37.0. No FDD though, so I still need my multi-I/O card for that.

Nice, can you list all your UMC parts ? Or do you have a thread on this build ?
Intel486dx33
Oldbie

Postby melbar » 2019-5-12 @ 14:33

I don't own any SB AWE 32, but now i have got this one.
It has also the EMU8000...

melbar

Postby Salient » 2019-5-12 @ 15:08

Some other recent acquisitiions; a new in the box serial Artec 3-button mouse and an old xt-era PC joystick in very good condition.

MIDI comparison website: << Wavetable.nl >>
(Always) looking for: Any Wavetable daughterboard, MIDI Module (GM/GS/XG)
Salient

Postby liqmat » 2019-5-12 @ 15:53

melbar wrote:I don't own any SB AWE 32, but now i have got this one.

What a strange little card. Is that a mini jack on the back?
liqmat
Oldbie

Postby BloodyCactus » 2019-5-12 @ 16:21

liqmat wrote:
melbar wrote:I don't own any SB AWE 32, but now i have got this one.

What a strange little card. Is that a mini jack on the back?

Its the Wavetable half of the AWE32. Its supposed to go alongside an SB16, like the GUS ACE.
--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: http://kråketær.com :: http://mega-tokyo.com ]-/\--
BloodyCactus
Oldbie

Postby liqmat » 2019-5-12 @ 16:24

I see. Never have seen that specific card before. Thanks.
liqmat
Oldbie

Postby melbar » 2019-5-12 @ 16:41

liqmat wrote:I see. Never have seen that specific card before. Thanks.

viewtopic.php?t=20890

http://www.amoretro.de/2012/11/creative ... t1920.html
melbar

Postby Bige4u » 2019-5-12 @ 17:31

Not in my possesion yet, but on the way... Aopen AX64 + Pentium3 1.0ghz/133 slot1 = wholesome goodness.
Attachments
Aopen AX64.jpg
Pentium3 1.0ghz 133fsb slot1.jpg
Intel D815BN / Pentium3 1000EB / Crucial 2x256mb pc133 cl2 / WD 20gb 7200rpm / Dell Geforce2 Ultra 64mb / Dell 48x cdrom / Dell 3.5'' Floppy / Dell 3000 case / Enermax 420w / Windows98se
Bige4u

Postby dionb » 2019-5-12 @ 18:21

Intel486dx33 wrote:[...]

Not yet, but intend to do so when I have time (and when I've managed to get at least one of my UMC-based NICs to work under DOS...)

What I did have time for today was a quick pickup run to a neigbouring town for this:

I already had the SGI 1600SW monitor, but now I can hook it up to any PC thanks to the Multilink adapter. It converts either digital DVI or analog (via DVI connetor) to SGI's OpenLVDS for the 1600x1024 beauty.

And it was my lucky day - the seller wanted to dump more SGI stuff and had a Bigfoot Granite keyboard. It was in a bit of a bad state, with broken keystem on the '2' key, messed-up space bar and a few internal supports strapped off - but with a bit of superglue and a lot of patience I've gotten it working again - Alps SKCM Cream Damped goodness :)
dionb
Oldbie

Postby respect2759 » 2019-5-12 @ 18:31

+2 Cards to my collection
Attachments
ATI Rage PRO Turbo AGP.jpg
S3 Virge 86C375.jpg
respect2759

Postby Dragon Caesar » 2019-5-12 @ 18:47

This was a great week for me in terms of pickups. I obtained a extremely cool and extremely tall Pentium Pro system via eBay. It is a Shuttle HOT-613 single CPU w/ 128 megs of RAM equipped with two ST15150N hard drives that are now running MSDOS 6.22 as a RAID0 array. It originally came with 2 tape drives but I removed one and added a Teac 5.25. Worst case scenario, I can live inside the tower.
ppro.jpg

Saturday afternoon I decided to check out a estate sale and I'm glad I did. I found a tower lying on its side on the floor in the corner of a room with a VCR on top of it. I threw out a fair price with the assumption it would be a box of rocks and maybe one working thing and they accepted it.
ngfront.jpg

When I took it home to take a look inside, I was pretty surprised with what was in there. In the expansion slots were a SoundBlaster 32 (CT3930), a VLB Diamond Stealth video card, and a VLB Acculogic sIDE multi IO card. Even more surprising to me was the CPU wasn't a Socket 3 processor but rather a NexGen P80 CPU with the NexGen FPU chipset accompanying it. I have never heard of NexGen before and I had initially assumed the badge on the front of the tower was a local computer shop.
ngcards.jpg

ngcpu.jpg

Tested everything out, the NexGen tower needs a new battery and the cdrom drive tray is stuck but other than that everything is working great.
Last edited by Dragon Caesar on 2019-5-12 @ 19:37, edited 1 time in total.
Dragon Caesar

Postby dionb » 2019-5-12 @ 19:11

You sir just struck gold, no platinum!

That NxVL isn't the FPU (if you'd found a NexGen board with socketed FPU you could probably give up your day job - but would have to hire a security detail too :P ) it's the motherboard chipset. This VLB version isn't as fast as the PCI one, but it is probably the most beautiful motherboard chipset out there.

Enjoy that board, and whatever you do, even if it is stone cold dead, DON'T throw it away. These things are rare and some very capable enthousiast may well be able to resurrect it.
dionb
Oldbie

Postby Intel486dx33 » 2019-5-12 @ 19:30

dionb wrote:

Not yet, but intend to do so when I have time (and when I've managed to get at least one of my UMC-based NICs to work under DOS...)

What I did have time for today was a quick pickup run to a neigbouring town for this:

I already had the SGI 1600SW monitor, but now I can hook it up to any PC thanks to the Multilink adapter. It converts either digital DVI or analog (via DVI connetor) to SGI's OpenLVDS for the 1600x1024 beauty.

And it was my lucky day - the seller wanted to dump more SGI stuff and had a Bigfoot Granite keyboard. It was in a bit of a bad state, with broken keystem on the '2' key, messed-up space bar and a few internal supports strapped off - but with a bit of superglue and a lot of patience I've gotten it working again - Alps SKCM Cream Damped goodness :)

I use to have a hacked Video card that could run Sun Microsystems displays on a Windows PC.
I think it was an S3 Savage 4. I think it was AGP and it had a green heat sink.
“Mirage Illusionist 3D AGP”
Attachments
58804BD7-E43D-4459-9801-A4D541D94B04.jpeg
Last edited by Intel486dx33 on 2019-5-12 @ 20:22, edited 2 times in total.
Intel486dx33
Oldbie

Postby Dragon Caesar » 2019-5-12 @ 19:39

dionb wrote:You sir just struck gold, no platinum!

That NxVL isn't the FPU (if you'd found a NexGen board with socketed FPU you could probably give up your day job - but would have to hire a security detail too :P ) it's the motherboard chipset. This VLB version isn't as fast as the PCI one, but it is probably the most beautiful motherboard chipset out there.

Enjoy that board, and whatever you do, even if it is stone cold dead, DON'T throw it away. These things are rare and some very capable enthousiast may well be able to resurrect it.

Good catch, thank you! Just edited my post to reflect that. Will be enjoying the board for sure, even more once I replace the battery so I don't have to reconfigure everything every time it boots.
Dragon Caesar

Postby Intel486dx33 » 2019-5-12 @ 19:44

Dragon Caesar wrote:
dionb wrote:You sir just struck gold, no platinum!

Good catch, thank you! Just edited my post to reflect that. Will be enjoying the board for sure, even more once I replace the battery so I don't have to reconfigure everything every time it boots.

I would like to read up on this computer if you would like to place a review in “System” forum category.
Take some nice photos and benchmarks. System specs and stuff. It’s a really neat looking computer.
Envious for sure.
Intel486dx33
Oldbie

Postby dionb » 2019-5-12 @ 19:47

Intel486dx33 wrote:
dionb wrote:

I use to have a hacked Video card that could run Sun Microsystems displays on a Windows PC.
I think it was an Nvidia Riva TNT2. I think it was AGP and it had a green heat sink.

See that other monitor on my photo? That's a Sun LSA800 and it works just fine with the same - VGA - output I used for the 1600SW+Multilink ;)

Most later Sun monitors were simple multisync devices that could run on unmodified PC hardware (at least, if you had DE15->13W3 cables/adapters). You probably had an earlier single-frequency monitor. They would need some driver hacking to work under windows, that's most likely what you did.
dionb
Oldbie

Postby Intel486dx33 » 2019-5-12 @ 20:16

This card for Sun / SGI displays. Back in the early 2000’s there where allot of SUN and SGI displays for sale on eBay but they sold for dirt cheap because everyone was using Windows computers so no one want to buy these proprietary displays. So someone hacked this card to work.
Attachments
8C2C4DEB-0DAA-4A74-BE77-CB0A4FEB9E77.jpeg
E7F2C336-43D6-40B0-86B3-7FE1C165DCF1.jpeg
57D74376-5889-4D70-9640-F3480F8044B2.jpeg
Intel486dx33
Oldbie

PreviousNext

Return to General Old Hardware