Bought these (retro) hardware today

Discussion about old PC hardware.

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Postby appiah4 » 2019-5-12 @ 20:45

dionb wrote:Edit:
Got my new toys working today
Image

Puretek PT-2037, aka UMC UM85C418F-GP VLB board. Replaces my crappy UM85C408AF ISA VGA board in my UMC build. So far so good, it improves 3DBench scoers from 26.3 to 37.0. No FDD though, so I still need my multi-I/O card for that.


Ohh, nice! Can the U5S CPU do 40MHz FSB?
1989:A500|+512K|ACA500+|C1084S
1992:HIPPO-VL+|U5SX-33|8M|GD5428|CT2290|S2
1995:P5I430VX|P133|32M|S3T64+/MX2|V1|CT3980/32M
1998:S1573S|K6-2/400|64M|V2/SLI|CT4500/32M
2001:GA-6OXT|P3-1200|384M|GF4Ti4200|MX300
2004:K8VD|3700+|2G|X1950PRO|SB0350
User avatar
appiah4
l33t
 
Posts: 3368
Joined: 2017-2-19 @ 07:36

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Postby dionb » 2019-5-12 @ 22:55

appiah4 wrote:[...]

Ohh, nice! Can the U5S CPU do 40MHz FSB?

Not tested (yet). Will put on to-do list though :)

Might take a while as I'm getting guests over on Thursday, then heading with them to a reunion lasting all weekend. Until Thursday I'm tidying up to make sure they have somewhere to sleep that doesn't have PCBs or - worse - screws sticking out at them, then away till Monday, and probably hung over until the weekend after. Spent 4h this evening getting the first bit done, not even had time to seriously play with my SGI screen yet :dead:
User avatar
dionb
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1841
Joined: 2017-12-23 @ 15:35
Location: Amsterdam

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Postby JonathonWyble » 2019-5-13 @ 02:10

It seems the power supply I bought last week had arrived early, because I received it just yesterday. It's a 250W power supply for the retro rig I'm working on, as I said last time.
Image
JonathonWyble
Newbie
 
Posts: 88
Joined: 2019-1-13 @ 02:10
Location: Buffalo, New York

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Postby Half-Saint » 2019-5-13 @ 16:36

Just picked up a yellowed but working Sony Trinitron Multiscan 17se II monitor for 5€ as a replacement for a dying 15" no-name CRT :-)
Image
Image
User avatar
Half-Saint
Oldbie
 
Posts: 818
Joined: 2013-7-26 @ 04:27
Location: Slovenia

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Postby bjwil1991 » 2019-5-13 @ 17:47

Not today, but, on Friday during the family camping trip for Mother's Day weekend, I bought a Game Elements Integrated Command Center for my Xbox. I can store 8 games in the center console, and not only that, but, I can switch different A/V devices without having to disconnect everything to hook up to my TV set, such as another console, the Commodore 64, and a few other devices (composite, s-video, or RF only), which is nice.
Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from C64 to FX-6300.
User avatar
bjwil1991
l33t
 
Posts: 2324
Joined: 2013-8-14 @ 03:10
Location: SE, MI USA

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Postby oeuvre » 2019-5-14 @ 12:46

aww ye now you can game ALL the things
Retro PC Intel i5 2500, 8GB RAM, AMD HD7770 1GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
Main Desktop Intel i7 6700K, 32GB, AMD RX580 8GB, NVMe SSD + HD, 10
Image
User avatar
oeuvre
l33t
 
Posts: 2551
Joined: 2015-3-31 @ 13:31
Location: USA

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Postby Predator99 » 2019-5-14 @ 17:43

Auction not over yet, but anybody able to identify this Adlib-clone?
xxx limited copyright 1991

Dont think its something very valuable as it rather new for a 8-bit card?


sc.jpg
Predator99
Oldbie
 
Posts: 883
Joined: 2016-12-28 @ 19:09

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Postby cyclone3d » 2019-5-14 @ 17:58

Predator99 wrote:Auction not over yet, but anybody able to identify this Adlib-clone?
xxx limited copyright 1991

Dont think its something very valuable as it rather new for a 8-bit card?


The attachment sc.jpg is no longer available


Found another picture of it.

It was made by Tolshine Limited :
IMG_8543.JPG

https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=44273#p435917
User avatar
cyclone3d
l33t
 
Posts: 2856
Joined: 2015-4-08 @ 06:06
Location: Huntsville, AL USA

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Postby Predator99 » 2019-5-14 @ 19:06

cyclone3d wrote:
Predator99 wrote:Auction not over yet, but anybody able to identify this Adlib-clone?
xxx limited copyright 1991

Dont think its something very valuable as it rather new for a 8-bit card?


sc.jpg


Found another picture of it.

It was made by Tolshine Limited :
IMG_8543.JPG

https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=44273#p435917


Incredible, you found it :cool: THANK YOU!
Predator99
Oldbie
 
Posts: 883
Joined: 2016-12-28 @ 19:09

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Postby appiah4 » 2019-5-14 @ 19:51

Ran into these for $10 and $4. The MAXX was a card I wanted for a long time so auto purchase. The Edison Gold-16 is a card I just KEEP running into; found and bought four so far, flipped two of them, now this is the fifth I've come across and the third in my collection currently. It's a decent non-pnp true OPL3 card so why not..

Seller pics below; I'll post better ones once I get and clean them.

ATI Rage Fury MAXX.jpeg

Edison Gold-16.jpeg
Last edited by appiah4 on 2019-5-14 @ 22:58, edited 1 time in total.
1989:A500|+512K|ACA500+|C1084S
1992:HIPPO-VL+|U5SX-33|8M|GD5428|CT2290|S2
1995:P5I430VX|P133|32M|S3T64+/MX2|V1|CT3980/32M
1998:S1573S|K6-2/400|64M|V2/SLI|CT4500/32M
2001:GA-6OXT|P3-1200|384M|GF4Ti4200|MX300
2004:K8VD|3700+|2G|X1950PRO|SB0350
User avatar
appiah4
l33t
 
Posts: 3368
Joined: 2017-2-19 @ 07:36

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Postby Deunan » 2019-5-14 @ 19:54

appiah4 wrote:Ohh, nice! Can the U5S CPU do 40MHz FSB?

Not sure how well the 33MHz variant will take the overclock but you could always look for a 40MHz version. These are not that rare, I have two (U5S and U5SX) with that clock rating.
Deunan
Member
 
Posts: 339
Joined: 2018-5-29 @ 12:32

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Postby appiah4 » 2019-5-14 @ 20:06

Deunan wrote:
appiah4 wrote:Ohh, nice! Can the U5S CPU do 40MHz FSB?

Not sure how well the 33MHz variant will take the overclock but you could always look for a 40MHz version. These are not that rare, I have two (U5S and U5SX) with that clock rating.


I can't seem to land one for what I consider a reasonable price, I will keep looking. What I heard was that these are fairly cool chips and there is really no difference between the 33 and 33-40 models, i.e. all 33s clock to 40 just fine. Of course, I never saw someone try this, so I was looking for a confirmation of sorts.
1989:A500|+512K|ACA500+|C1084S
1992:HIPPO-VL+|U5SX-33|8M|GD5428|CT2290|S2
1995:P5I430VX|P133|32M|S3T64+/MX2|V1|CT3980/32M
1998:S1573S|K6-2/400|64M|V2/SLI|CT4500/32M
2001:GA-6OXT|P3-1200|384M|GF4Ti4200|MX300
2004:K8VD|3700+|2G|X1950PRO|SB0350
User avatar
appiah4
l33t
 
Posts: 3368
Joined: 2017-2-19 @ 07:36

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Postby Deunan » 2019-5-14 @ 20:25

Oh yeah, you can safely run it at 40MHz without any heatsink - it gets pretty warm eventually but won't burn your finger when you touch it. Not to mention it's actually faster than a DX2-50 in many programs. It's such a pity UMC clash with Intel prevented a DX model from coming to the market.
Deunan
Member
 
Posts: 339
Joined: 2018-5-29 @ 12:32

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Postby cyclone3d » 2019-5-14 @ 21:28

appiah4 wrote:Ran into these for $10 and $4. The MAXX was a card I wanted for a long time so auto purchase. The Edison Gold-16 is a card I just KEEP running into; found and bought four so far, flipped two of them, now this is the fifth I've come across and the third in my collection currently. It's a decent non-pnp true OPL3 card so why not..

Seller pics below; I'll post better ones once I get and clean them.


WOW! MAXX for $4. That is awesome!
User avatar
cyclone3d
l33t
 
Posts: 2856
Joined: 2015-4-08 @ 06:06
Location: Huntsville, AL USA

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Postby dionb » 2019-5-14 @ 22:51

Yep, that's some find :)

Mine:
Image

The keyboard of an Osborne Variant 1.

Not just a beautiful piece of history, but potentially very usable thanks to this:
Image

This board is entirely passive - there's no electronics in there at all, the scanlines are directly exposed in the connector. That means it should be possible to convert it to something a PC would understand without even touching the original case. I ordered some Teensy boards to try just that :)
User avatar
dionb
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1841
Joined: 2017-12-23 @ 15:35
Location: Amsterdam

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Postby appiah4 » 2019-5-14 @ 22:57

cyclone3d wrote:
appiah4 wrote:Ran into these for $10 and $4. The MAXX was a card I wanted for a long time so auto purchase. The Edison Gold-16 is a card I just KEEP running into; found and bought four so far, flipped two of them, now this is the fifth I've come across and the third in my collection currently. It's a decent non-pnp true OPL3 card so why not..

Seller pics below; I'll post better ones once I get and clean them.


WOW! MAXX for $4. That is awesome!


Actually the MAXX for $10 and Edison for $4 :)
1989:A500|+512K|ACA500+|C1084S
1992:HIPPO-VL+|U5SX-33|8M|GD5428|CT2290|S2
1995:P5I430VX|P133|32M|S3T64+/MX2|V1|CT3980/32M
1998:S1573S|K6-2/400|64M|V2/SLI|CT4500/32M
2001:GA-6OXT|P3-1200|384M|GF4Ti4200|MX300
2004:K8VD|3700+|2G|X1950PRO|SB0350
User avatar
appiah4
l33t
 
Posts: 3368
Joined: 2017-2-19 @ 07:36

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Postby liqmat » 2019-5-14 @ 23:11

dionb wrote:Yep, that's some find :)

Image

Sexy!!!

My latest finds. That top card is a tad special and that goes directly to Luckybob's Den of Delights since he called dibs on it. Personally I get excited whenever I see Wang.

uh-huhuhuh-huh-he-said-wang.jpg


A nice Future Domain ISA SCSI card and another ISA sound card.

variety_pack.jpg
User avatar
liqmat
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1543
Joined: 2015-7-07 @ 21:59

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Postby peklop » 2019-5-15 @ 00:36

None-modem mWave with early TMS320M520 chip.
I hope for test :-)
User avatar
peklop
Member
 
Posts: 224
Joined: 2016-11-17 @ 02:38
Location: Czech Republic

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Postby liqmat » 2019-5-15 @ 02:20

peklop wrote:None-modem mWave with early TMS320M520 chip.
I hope for test :-)

I asked Luckybob if he would do a video about it while testing. I want to see and hear the results as well.
User avatar
liqmat
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1543
Joined: 2015-7-07 @ 21:59

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Postby oeuvre » 2019-5-15 @ 12:39

dionb wrote:Yep, that's some find :)

Mine:
Image

The keyboard of an Osborne Variant 1.

Not just a beautiful piece of history, but potentially very usable thanks to this:
Image

This board is entirely passive - there's no electronics in there at all, the scanlines are directly exposed in the connector. That means it should be possible to convert it to something a PC would understand without even touching the original case. I ordered some Teensy boards to try just that :)


connect it to a USB 3.0 motherboard header
Retro PC Intel i5 2500, 8GB RAM, AMD HD7770 1GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
Main Desktop Intel i7 6700K, 32GB, AMD RX580 8GB, NVMe SSD + HD, 10
Image
User avatar
oeuvre
l33t
 
Posts: 2551
Joined: 2015-3-31 @ 13:31
Location: USA

PreviousNext

Return to General Old Hardware

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: JSO, rasz_pl, Skanque and 6 guests

cron