VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 29000 of 52692, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Her in doors is aware today so I entered her inner sanctum, the garage, where she carries out her wood working projects. Gave it a good tidy up. She isn't terribly organized so you can imagine the state it was in. Anyway after about 3 hours and a full rubbish bin I got finished. I know I'll get an ear full when she gets home.

To reward myself I had another rummage through my storage boxes. In the last box at the bottom of the stack was the Acorn A3000 I bought some time ago. Pleased as punch I am, the hard work was worth the effort. Another thing I found was an ISA Adaptic AHA-1520/22 scsi controller with support for scsi hdds and standard fdds. It originally had came out of my 386DX25 system. The 100meg Apple branded scsi hdd that was in it had died and I had no other scsi drives to replace it with at the time. I pulled the card and put it in storage. In it's place I installed a standard multi i/o with hdd support and a 4gig Bigfoot hdd using EZDrive DDO for drive translation. Over that time and now I had at some stage stripped an Intergraph Pentium Pro system running XP. It had two scsi hdds and scsi CDRom drive. The sizes of the hard rives are 2.1 and 9.1gig and the cable is about four foot long with external mini scsi conversion board and connector attached. I'll check the scsi card in a 486 system at some as I've never had to deal with it in the past. If my memory is correct it booted from its own bios.

Other items were a brand new Pine VLB multi i/o card, some serial mice and a 12 to 9-pin vga cable that use to be attached to the 14" 28 dot pitch vga monitor back in the early 90s which was connected to my old 286/16. That'll be used on the A3000.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 29001 of 52692, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Onkyo SE-120PCI audiophile sound card (used, almost complete):

IMG_0594.jpg
Filename
IMG_0594.jpg
File size
168.08 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Manuals and software CD included:

IMG_0600.jpg
Filename
IMG_0600.jpg
File size
195.48 KiB
Views
File license

Most cables included except external audio cables:

IMG_0599.jpg
Filename
IMG_0599.jpg
File size
158.78 KiB
Views
File license

Main card:

IMG_0596.jpg
Filename
IMG_0596.jpg
File size
318.28 KiB
Views
File license

Daughterboard:

IMG_0595.jpg
Filename
IMG_0595.jpg
File size
271.86 KiB
Views
File license

External connectors: Phono connectors for audio out (L, R), audio in (L, R), optical in/out on main card, 3.5 mm mic in, coaxial in/out and joystick/MIDI connector on daughter board.
Internal connectors: CD-in, CD digital in, PC speaker.
Digital input selectable between external connectors and CD digital in via jumper. Sampling rate selectable between 44.1 kHz and 48 kHz via jumper.
ESS 1983 chipset.

But I didn't buy it because I wanted an audiophile sound card, oh no.

I bought it because the software CD includes a rare-as-heck soft synth: Faith WebSynth D-77 (GM/GS compatible and something called "+ alpha", 674 variations, reverb/chorus). 😎
This is only included with Onkyo's older sound cards, that lack a Windows XP logo on the box.

(although I also believe my Windows XP machine will be getting a new sound card...)

Reply 29002 of 52692, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
yawetaG wrote:

Onkyo SE-120PCI audiophile sound card (used, almost complete):

IMG_0594.jpg

Nice! This so reminds me of my favorite sound card from years ago.

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16829271004?Item … N82E16829271004

Reply 29003 of 52692, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So today I went to a flea market (it's been a while since the last time, at least one month). They announced 1000 people so that's a really big one ...
When I went trough it I noticed that there was definitely not 1000 spots and also many people were missing, probably because the weather was kinda bad.

After seeking everywhere, I thought it was time to go.

Right before I left, I saw that box

boite mystere.jpg
Filename
boite mystere.jpg
File size
1.42 MiB
Views
File license

I though "hey why not, a boxed radeon 7000 could be nice, I don't have any radeon 7000 anyways", so I opened the box to see if it was still in there and what shape it had.

And when I opened the box, I saw this 🤣

voodoo3.jpg
Filename
voodoo3.jpg
File size
1.18 MiB
Views
File license

I ask for the price, the guy wants 5€ 😀

Well at least I didn't go there for nothing 😁

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 29004 of 52692, by probnot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Garage sale season is in full bloom!

Picked up this lot today. I checked inside the tower just out of curiousity and immediately bought it ($10). Mainly for the Banshee! (but it has an Epox MVP3G-M SS7 board as a bonus)

eHu7C0al.jpg
jeeiAOQl.jpgzlOIRwll.jpg

Reply 29005 of 52692, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Zero_sugar wrote:
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote:

Club3D HD 3850 with Apack ZEROtherm cooler

What do you plan on pairing it with?

Nothing in particular - it was cheap, and I didn't have one 😀

Reply 29006 of 52692, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hopefully it doesn't arrive smashed and dead like my last purchase. Seller had it listed at $100.. I offered $40, we agreed upon $50.

X9dtr1Yl.jpg

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 29007 of 52692, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
probnot wrote:
Garage sale season is in full bloom! […]
Show full quote

Garage sale season is in full bloom!

Picked up this lot today. I checked inside the tower just out of curiousity and immediately bought it ($10). Mainly for the Banshee! (but it has an Epox MVP3G-M SS7 board as a bonus)

eHu7C0al.jpg
jeeiAOQl.jpgzlOIRwll.jpg

That's a good CPU and motherboard. You should be able to over clock the k6-3 to 550mhz. ( 100 x 5.5 )
I would keep it all togeather with the Banshee and load Win98se.
Mine works great. Very stable at 550mhz.
AMD K6-III+@550mhz., Voodoo-3-3000 (tower)

Reply 29008 of 52692, by melbar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Intel486dx33 wrote:

You should be able to over clock the k6-3 to 550mhz. ( 100 x 5.5 )

Be careful, probnot has the normal K6-3 (with 0,25 µm and normally 2.4 core voltage).
You have the "+" Version with 0,18 µm and lower voltage.

Cause i don't have the K6-3 but the K6-2, so i don't have any test result for this cpu, but i assume it is more difficult to reach 550 MHz with the „Sharptooth“.

#1 K6-2/500, #2 Athlon1200, #3 Celeron1000A, #4 A64-3700, #5 P4HT-3200, #6 P4-2800, #7 Am486DX2-66

Reply 29009 of 52692, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Abit VP6.. giving my dually tually build another go, since my last motherboard arrived with some pretty bad damage. (seller photo) ($45)

OGk2g7ah.jpg

My Github

Reply 29011 of 52692, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:

Nice! How do you plan to mod the chips/board to support tualtins, btw?

Socket adapters + BR1# / N33 pin mod to enable functionality. This board will work with one tualatin, but needs the adapters modded for two to work.
This methodology: http://tipperlinne.com/slot-t.htm

My Github

Reply 29012 of 52692, by probnot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
melbar wrote:
Be careful, probnot has the normal K6-3 (with 0,25 µm and normally 2.4 core voltage). You have the "+" Version with 0,18 µm and […]
Show full quote
Intel486dx33 wrote:

You should be able to over clock the k6-3 to 550mhz. ( 100 x 5.5 )

Be careful, probnot has the normal K6-3 (with 0,25 µm and normally 2.4 core voltage).
You have the "+" Version with 0,18 µm and lower voltage.

Cause i don't have the K6-3 but the K6-2, so i don't have any test result for this cpu, but i assume it is more difficult to reach 550 MHz with the „Sharptooth“.

I'm not planning to overclock this one, no worries on that.

Reply 29013 of 52692, by GraPghaST

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just got a really old and exotic machine:

It's an NCR PC386SX/MC20! An old 386 on 20mHz with 1 megabyte RAM soldered on the board, and the biggest catch: It's MCA, or Micro Channel Architecture! It is SCSI based, with VGA, Parallel and Serial onboard, with an additional IO card plus Ethernet as MCA cards. NCR monitor and Tulip DIN keyboard are included.

NCRMC20-2.jpg

I always wanted to have an old and weird machine. Well, I got what I wanted. MCA is like urm .. this! It already runs MS-DOS 5.0 with Shell, and Windows 3.1 on top. But, it's in Dutch. I am planning to get it on MS-DOS 6.22 with Windows 3.11 in proper English, but I am lacking experience with MCA. Every piece of hardware seems to have a ADF descriptor file set, which NCR still kindly provides. You need to save the system config to a separate disk, and load new ADF's when adding hardware. Still unsure if I can just roll the MS-DOS installer, or is anything else needed?

Anyway, doing more homework. Does anyone have MCA experience, especially with greenfield installs?

Pic included, more if needed 😀

[EDIT] Hm, NCR download links in the page itself seem to be dead. Let's continue the search. [/EDIT]

Reply 29015 of 52692, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keenmaster486 wrote:

How on earth is there an MCA computer that isn't IBM?

Easy.

They paid a royalty to IBM for the privilege. Only a scant few ever took IBM up on their oh so generous offer. NCR is the only one that comes to mind without having to google others.

All this because IBM wanted more money for all their hard work they put into MCA. Well practically everyone else gave IBM the finger and made E-ISA, an open standard with no royalties. And that's the 2-minute of story of how a 800-lb, silver-back gorilla of a company (IBM) got their ass handed to them on a silver platter.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 29016 of 52692, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sony CDROM 52x

Attachments

Reply 29017 of 52692, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
yawetaG wrote:

I bought it because the software CD includes a rare-as-heck soft synth: Faith WebSynth D-77 (GM/GS compatible and something called "+ alpha", 674 variations, reverb/chorus). 😎
This is only included with Onkyo's older sound cards, that lack a Windows XP logo on the box.

Can you image that CD and upload to vogonsdrivers or upload it somewhere else and share so I can upload it?

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 29018 of 52692, by RegTheEvil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cyclone3d wrote:
Yeah.. the Atlona is pretty good. It isn't perfect though as you have found. […]
Show full quote
RegTheEvil wrote:

I visited this forum before and saw a post by cyclone3d about Atlona AT-HD500 and immediately got one my self. It finally arrived today! Had to order from USA so the postage and customs got higher than the item itself. I got mine unused. It still had the "factory" smell when I took HD500 from it's bubble wrap. I no longer need to use DVI connector that had lots of issues with games or Sewell Hammerhead VGA-HDMI converter. I was able to use only 640x480 resolution with that. I upscaled the image to 720p to work with old Intensity Pro capture card with cheap ebay HD Video Converter (scaler). No support for 720x400 resolution with that. So I was using DVI to HDMI and Sewell for 640x480 sometimes. DVI had to be downscaled with the ebay thingie as well because my Graphics card wanted to output 1080p through DVI and my capture card supported only 1080i and 720p.

Some games that have 640x480 resolution give me black image now If I hook them directly from AT-HD500 to Intensity Pro. Just some. AT2, Syndicate, Flashback. However Micro Machines 2 and Crusader work and they also have 640x480 resolution. If I connect ebay chinese HD Video Converter in between I get no issues but the image gets too bright. Also If I connect MS-DOS image with At-HD500 to my TV, there are no issues at all and it looks okay.

Perhaps my Intensity Pro capture card is the one being finicky and should finally be replaced. I think I bought it around 2008. I will buy new capture card in the far future but for now, this is already very good. Most games work with this setup and I can start making YouTube game videos with better quality now.

Yeah.. the Atlona is pretty good. It isn't perfect though as you have found.

When I was in my frenzy of looking for a really good converter I ended up buying a couple other higher end converters that actually let you create your own resolutions with whatever timings you want and save them in the unit itself. I haven't really played around with them at all since I first got them except for messing around with the software to set custom settings.

That's what I get for having way too many projects going on.

I can relate to that "too many projects" problem. I don't think I can make the ms-dos gaming video anytime soon. I should finish my latest comic first. It's been hanging many weeks now in an almost complete state. I should also finish my dos start menu. I have made so many changes in my system and my start menu is a mess at the moment. I also ordered a very cheap SB Live card. I'm gonna test it in my retro system to see if I can get more games to support audio. There are no ISA slots. Only PCI and AGP.

AT2 & other music made by me + miscellaneous stuff
Comics made by me

Reply 29019 of 52692, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

ASUS P5A-B v1.04 and CompUSA Geforce FX-5200.

These came in a big box of stuff that somebody basically posted on eBay just to get rid of it.. $20 shipped for these, a Vanta LT, and a bunch of old software and games plus a few other odds and ends.
The motherboard had a K6-2 -450 and heatsink which are not pictured.

ASIS_P5A-B-1080.jpg
Filename
ASIS_P5A-B-1080.jpg
File size
704.41 KiB
Views
File license
Compusa_FX5200-1080.jpg
Filename
Compusa_FX5200-1080.jpg
File size