Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 30740 of 52803, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

CrystalStuff.jpg
Got these for something around 8€, WB card works nicely, I haven't tested the sound card yet but I don't really care about it anyway, I got these for the WB card 🤣.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 30741 of 52803, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@Tiido, great! I wasn't willing to pay over 5€ for it. (Because i don't need it really) Good to see you got it! (Y)

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 30742 of 52803, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No idea where you guys saw this but the price is a steal.. Enjoy Tiido 😀

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 30744 of 52803, by ShovelKnight

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:
ShovelKnight wrote:

Bought the last piece missing for my SuperSocket 7 build: a CD-ROM analog audio cable.

Oh shit these things are so annoying. Back when I started this hobby I was putting together my first PCs and the things I found I needed and couldn't find were bewildering. Analogue CD cables, screws, working IDE cables, expansion slot covers, drive bay covers, coin batteries.. You figured out you needed these at the most inconvenient times and they proved stupidly difficult (or time consuming) to obtain. I feel for you.

Yes, all these things are annoying. Thankfully, I have a bag of IDE/floppy cables I got with one of the motherboards I bought this year. But I still don't know where to get drive bay covers, they seem to be made of pure unobtainium.

Reply 30745 of 52803, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tiido wrote:

Got these for something around 8€, WB card works nicely, I haven't tested the sound card yet but I don't really care about it anyway, I got these for the WB card 🤣.

I picked up that combo a few years ago and it's my fave wavetable - I actually prefer it to my SCC-1 😲

I tossed the card without testing it but regret that now - it's a good chipset and probably a good implementation of it.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 30746 of 52803, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tiido wrote:
http://www.tmeeco.eu/BitShit/PCschit/CrystalStuff.jpg Got these for something around 8€, WB card works nicely, I haven't tested […]
Show full quote

CrystalStuff.jpg

Who made this Wave Blaster compatible daughter board and how large is the sample set that is stored in ROM?

Reply 30747 of 52803, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ShovelKnight wrote:
appiah4 wrote:
ShovelKnight wrote:

Bought the last piece missing for my SuperSocket 7 build: a CD-ROM analog audio cable.

Oh shit these things are so annoying. Back when I started this hobby I was putting together my first PCs and the things I found I needed and couldn't find were bewildering. Analogue CD cables, screws, working IDE cables, expansion slot covers, drive bay covers, coin batteries.. You figured out you needed these at the most inconvenient times and they proved stupidly difficult (or time consuming) to obtain. I feel for you.

Yes, all these things are annoying. Thankfully, I have a bag of IDE/floppy cables I got with one of the motherboards I bought this year. But I still don't know where to get drive bay covers, they seem to be made of pure unobtainium.

Drive bay covers are also different (shape, clips, color) for each type of case. Really annoying, I just put in a CD or floppy drive if I'm short on covers. Better than nothing IMO.

1982 to 2001

Reply 30748 of 52803, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:

No idea where you guys saw this but the price is a steal.. Enjoy Tiido 😀

A local auctions site. 😀 Not much old stuff going around, but time-to-time, something appears in there again. And when it does, there are maybe up to 4 players bidding, who seem to be interested in this retro stuff. Me and Tiido being 2 of them. 😜

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 30749 of 52803, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
GigAHerZ wrote:

@Tiido, great! I wasn't willing to pay over 5€ for it. (Because i don't need it really) Good to see you got it! (Y)

Hahaha, small world 😜

jesolo wrote:

Who made this Wave Blaster compatible daughter board and how large is the sample set that is stored in ROM?

It is supposedly an IBM OEM thing, WB card marking is S-W1/C. Sample ROM is 1MB sized and very much clone of Roland devices, to a point Dream gos sued later on 🤣. I have enhanced the card now, adding the missing effect processor to get reverb on the sound :
CrystalWB.jpg

Reply 30750 of 52803, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tiido wrote:

I have enhanced the card now, adding the missing effect processor to get reverb on the sound

Oh my, you were definitelly better person to have this than me!

Reply 30751 of 52803, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tiido wrote:
GigAHerZ wrote:

[...]

I have enhanced the card now, adding the missing effect processor to get reverb on the sound

Wow!

Out of interest: you've populated the pads above the Dream and the caps around it, but not 24/R25/26. Why?

Reply 30752 of 52803, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Those parts are not necessary for operation and not mentioned in datasheets either, all I can think of is some misunderstanding on designer.

Reply 30753 of 52803, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Can you list the parts you used for future reference?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 30754 of 52803, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

3x 1Kohm 0805 resistors, 5x 0.1µF X7R 0805 capacitors, one 10µF+ 10V+ tantalum (no idea what the size code is), SAM8905 and 8bit 32KByte 15ns SRAM. Also R19 needs to be moved to R20 or you still get reverbless output. I also suggest swapping C22, 23, 24 and 30 for 10µF or larger ceramics to improve bass response, the originals are 3.3µF and will limit it. Ideally these capacitors would be e-caps rather than ceramics for best distortion performance but there's no space on this board for anything better.

Reply 30755 of 52803, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:
ShovelKnight wrote:

I usually don't buy such things (apart from batteries), instead I save such parts from old pc's that are going to the dumpster.

Reply 30756 of 52803, by FAMICOMASTER

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
appiah4 wrote:
ShovelKnight wrote:

I have like 16 pounds worth of expansion slot covers and screws, and a big box of working IDE, floppy, and CD audio cables...

How do you guys not have these things? Are these somehow uncommon in different parts of the world? You can find all of these things in any machine made before like 2006 at any recycling or thrift store.

Reply 30757 of 52803, by DNSDies

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
appiah4 wrote:
ShovelKnight wrote:

I have spools of ribbon cable, crimp tools, and dozens of connectors and crimp-on male/female pins exactly for this reason. It's kind of nice to be able to make your own cables for everything. You can make some very neat cable arrangements where everything is the perfect length.

Reply 30758 of 52803, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
FAMICOMASTER wrote:
appiah4 wrote:
ShovelKnight wrote:

I have like 16 pounds worth of expansion slot covers and screws, and a big box of working IDE, floppy, and CD audio cables...

How do you guys not have these things? Are these somehow uncommon in different parts of the world? You can find all of these things in any machine made before like 2006 at any recycling or thrift store.

Our thrift stores here don't seem to have that era systems laying around any more. But keeping ribbon cables, psus, drives etc is part and parcel of this hobby. I have thrown out 1.2 meg drives, vlb cards and other stuff because I had so much of it. A set price I wont go past on old systems is $150. Haven't blown it yet in the last 20 years. I prefer to get slim line OEM systems these as they are easy to stack and don't take up much room(easily slid under bed to hide from her in doors). I've no interest in huge behemoths at all.

On a side note our local action site seems to have more stuff like NEW PC ribbon cables up for sale lately. More P1 systems are popping up as well at quite reasonable prices too.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 30759 of 52803, by piatd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My area's major thrift chain, Goodwill, doesn't have any systems laying around any more, regardless of era. I have not seen a single desktop computer--let alone any internal parts--for the last few years at multiple Goodwill locations. I suspect all desktops and non-boxed parts are cannibalized under Goodwill's participation in Dell Reconnect. Dell claims that Goodwill will refurbish and resell desktops at certain locations, but it seems unlikely that my area outside the nation's capital would be bereft of such locations. Local Goodwill stores also stopped accepting CRTs two years ago (edit: this is not my area, but the rule appears to be the same).

Last edited by piatd on 2019-10-15, 05:16. Edited 3 times in total.