Reply 32501 of 52803, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bearking wrote on 2020-02-15, 18:13:

[...]

Is it soldered to the mainboard?

No, inserted into a LIF socket. That's my trusty DataExpert Opti495SX-VL2 board, with both 132p and 168p LIF sockets for pretty much any 5V 386 or 486 CPU.

Reply 32503 of 52803, by LewisRaz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Picked up two 486 systems today. 1 desktop and 1 tower (Actually a 2nd tower was given for free but has been underwater in a flood.)
The desktop is nice but unremarkable. It is a TriGem 486/33m with an sx2 50mhz installed. Smoke tested the PSU on its own before powering on and it is working great. Including 16mb ram and 204mb HDD.

The tower however( a DECpc 452ST) is probably not significant to many here but something I have not seen in person before:
IMG-2310-2.jpg
IMG-2312.jpg

I smoke tested the PSU and then tried the system but I cannot get a signal from it (Either with the VGA pictured below or a known good ISA vga). More testing will be done once I can fully dissasemble the machine and clean it properly. It has alot of external rust from a damp environment but internally looks good.

Then there is this GPU. It looks fine other than the rusty VGA connector. I cannot find anything about it or get any life from it. I wonder if anyone here knows about it and how to get it working?
IMG-2313.jpg
IMG-2314.jpg

My retro pc youtube channel
Twitter

Reply 32504 of 52803, by Dimitris1980

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I bought recently a Roland sound canvas sc88 for my Cyrix Dos/Windows PC. I already have a Roland MT32.

- Macintosh LC475, Powerbook 540c, Macintosh Performa 6116CD, Power Macintosh G3 Minitower (x2), Imac G3, Powermac G4 MDD, Powermac G5, Imac Mid 2007
- Cyrix 120
- Amiga 500, Amiga 1200
- Atari 1040 STF
- Roland MT32, CM64, CM500, SC55, SC88, Yamaha MU50

Reply 32505 of 52803, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
LewisRaz wrote on 2020-02-16, 00:19:

Then there is this GPU. It looks fine other than the rusty VGA connector. I cannot find anything about it or get any life from it. I wonder if anyone here knows about it and how to get it working?

I can't find much, but judging by the year and that I can only find what the Rendition IIE and Rendition IV look like and it doesn't quite look like either of those it might be an Appian Rendition III? so... TIGA?
there might be more info underneath the add-on board and/or on the back... but definitely a nice card ^^

Reply 32507 of 52803, by mpe

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
https://i.ibb.co/ggdBNQn/IMG-2312.jpg […]
Show full quote

IMG-2312.jpg

Nice one. The socket in the top right corner looks like a slot for Intel 485 TurboCache. I've never seen a module for these.

Blog|NexGen 586|S4

Reply 32508 of 52803, by LewisRaz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
imi wrote on 2020-02-16, 00:44:

I can't find much, but judging by the year and that I can only find what the Rendition IIE and Rendition IV look like and it doesn't quite look like either of those it might be an Appian Rendition III? so... TIGA?
there might be more info underneath the add-on board and/or on the back... but definitely a nice card ^^

This morning with not so tired eyes I was able to slowly pry the cards apart. Have googled a few more part numbers with no success yet.

IMG-2316.jpg
IMG-2317.jpg

Twitter

Reply 32510 of 52803, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

sure enough that's what I found about the Appian Rendition III:
https://books.google.at/books?id=lFAEAAAAMBAJ … n%20III&f=false

TMS34020 seems to fit
interesting though that the add on board is digital branded

Reply 32511 of 52803, by LewisRaz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
imi wrote on 2020-02-16, 11:46:
sure enough that's what I found about the Appian Rendition III: https://books.google.at/books?id=lFAEAAAAMBAJ … n%20III&f=false […]
Show full quote

sure enough that's what I found about the Appian Rendition III:
https://books.google.at/books?id=lFAEAAAAMBAJ … n%20III&f=false

TMS34020 seems to fit
interesting though that the add on board is digital branded

That suggests that the board would work alone if included with the addon that I have? I wonder if I should play around with those DIP switches.

All of the cards in the PC have digital branding
IMG-2315.jpg

Twitter

Reply 32512 of 52803, by Vynix

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Picked up two 486 systems today. 1 desktop and 1 tower (Actually a 2nd tower was given for free but has been underwater in a flo […]
Show full quote

Picked up two 486 systems today. 1 desktop and 1 tower (Actually a 2nd tower was given for free but has been underwater in a flood.)
The desktop is nice but unremarkable. It is a TriGem 486/33m with an sx2 50mhz installed. Smoke tested the PSU on its own before powering on and it is working great. Including 16mb ram and 204mb HDD.

The tower however( a DECpc 452ST) is probably not significant to many here but something I have not seen in person before:
[snip]

I saw that this motherboard has a Dallas RTC chip (which happens to have a battery to keep the BIOS settings in memory), if its built-in battery is dead, then it could be why the machine is refusing to start.

Attachments

• Modified.png
    Filename
    Modified.png
    File size
    639.65 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Proud owner of a Shuttle HOT-555A 430VX motherboard and two wonderful retro laptops, namely a Compaq Armada 1700 [nonfunctional] and a HP Omnibook XE3-GC [fully working :p]

Reply 32513 of 52803, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Imi...! 😉 You missed a GUS and a V3. I would have paid this for the GUS clone alone... (sellers photo)

gus.jpg
Filename
gus.jpg
File size
276.88 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 32514 of 52803, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm not scavenging the scrap lots that much anymore because I got burnt several times now :c also got a serious shock looking at my bank balance, need to curb my spending somewhat...
my collection has grown significantly in the last year, and I also can't justify to spend a lot on lots that include stuff I already have, as I am not in the business of reselling stuff and I lack the social skills to barter for single cards, the thing I like about ebay is that I usually don't have to interact with sellers at all.

on a brighter note, I bought an AWE64 Gold, CT1740 and EWS64 XL yesterday among other things (too many things)

haven't posted much cause I'm still in the process of sorting out storage... I want to save as much hardware as I can to start my projects eventually but I have to respect my finances.

Reply 32516 of 52803, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have been hunting for a horizontal AT case for years now, consider my surprise when I got the offer for one, including what seems to be a 486 system inside..

IBM-PS1-02.jpg

I got super excited and asked for a shot of the case and it turned out to be.. an IBM PS/1.

IBM-PS1-01.jpg

It was on sale for just $25. Untested, and it lacks floppy and hard drives. I bought it anyway. According to what it says on the case it's a DX2-66, and if you believe Wikipedia then it's a Type 2133-594? Or is it one of the 'New Generation PS/1' line with the LPX motherboards?

My real question here though, IBM stuff are notorious for being terribly proprietary and the PSU here is obviously not AT. How about the rest of the system? Can I just plug in an ISA Multi IO and assume everything will work on IDE? Have I made a dumb purchase?

Also got an offer for a P2BF motherboard, Rev 1.2 so I guess it should accept Coppermine CPUs? For 8 bucks I said why not.

ASUS-P2-B-F.jpg

I passed up on this though, I already have a ZIDA 5STX working completely fine, the 5DTX just has the ATX power compliance going for it and if I want to set up an ATX Socket 7 system I have my better boards from Tyan and Tekram..

ZIDA-5-DTX.jpg

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 32517 of 52803, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a similar ps1 with a 386SX and a black case. It has a regular IDE port. As for the PSU, its shape may not be AT, but the plugs are iirc. What's bothering me though is that on your ps/1, the 3.5" bays are missing so you'll get an empty hole on the front of the case.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 32518 of 52803, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh yeah the 3.5" drive cage is missing, I asked the seller to check if he still has that lying about, otherwise I'll have to juryrig something there to affix a 3.5" floppy somehow. Not pleasant and probably won't be pretty, but I can work something out, maybe even ask someone with some modelling skills to help me get something 3D Printed or something 🙁

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-02-17, 20:15. Edited 1 time in total.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.