Topic actions

Reply 34140 of 52621, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@Miphee
I have a color monitor from this brand.
It's really awesome as it supports litterally everything x)
Unfortunately mine has display issues, but I think I'm going to be able to fix that, it's just not easy to work in them because everything is quite cramped. But very good monitor nonetheless especially in this day of age where CGA/MDA/EGA monitors are harder and harder to come by.

Meanwhile, I've found this :
pYKBvJgl.jpg
It'll be quite nice for our project here Re: The Total Hardware 1999 Reborn project

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 34141 of 52621, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Deksor wrote on 2020-05-23, 15:26:

But very good monitor nonetheless especially in this day of age where CGA/MDA/EGA monitors are harder and harder to come by.

Especially in countries where color CGA/EGA monitors weren't too popular because of the high price. We have plenty of monochrome though. 😀

Reply 34142 of 52621, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Got me a scrap box, here is whats inside, gonna test them later today

Network Card
Intel Pulse H1012
Kingston KNE111TX
DFE-530TX+ Rev E1
DFE-530TX+ Rev D2
Intel ISA
Linksys LNE100TX
DFE-530TX+ Rev D2

Video Card
FX 5200
Real Magic EM8300
Matrox G200
9600SE 64bit
9250 PCI 128bit
Rage Pro Turbo AGP
S3 Virge VX PCI
Geforce 2 MX
Diamond Stealth 64 /w Expanded Ram
Diamond Stealth 64
Rage 128 Ultra

Sound Card
Sound Blaster SB0220
Sound Blaster 128 ct4810

Misc
SIIG Parrell PCI Card
USB Card
ASUS USB MIR
Slocket 370, not sure if for coppermine or not

Reply 34143 of 52621, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Bought a good, functional (battery leakage present, will fix the issue by replacing the battery with a CR2032 (got the battery holder, as well as the board manual, BIOS, and battery replacement guide on vogonsdrivers.com prior to) Soyo SY-4SAW2 Rev WA3 motherboard.

Odd portion is the keyboard port. It's been replaced with a PS/2 keyboard connector, which is odd, yet satisfying, plus, it has a header for a PS/2 mouse, which is good (might look and see if that actually works).

Board works accordingly, just needs a new clock battery, slight trace patches, and that'll do.

Gallery: https://imgur.com/gallery/seKiVQF

Front of the board:
rle4WDem.jpg

BIOS:
bFaQfIDm.jpg

Hardware, RAM, cache, and other info:
1CdmWikm.jpg

Cache (512KB to be exact):
CA6fuyQm.jpg

PS/2 keyboard connector, PS/2 mouse header (4x2), and NiCd battery (slight leakage):
mwwUL3vm.jpg

Closeup of the battery and slight trace corrosion (will be easy to fix):
uzgHDujm.jpg

Rear of the board:
2A0GZgPm.jpg

Edit: dummy me forgot to put the motherboard make and model on here. Whoopsie.

Last edited by bjwil1991 on 2020-05-24, 02:44. Edited 1 time in total.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 34144 of 52621, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
candle_86 wrote on 2020-05-23, 19:49:
Got me a scrap box, here is whats inside, gonna test them later today […]
Show full quote

Network Card
Intel Pulse H1012
Kingston KNE111TX
DFE-530TX+ Rev E1
DFE-530TX+ Rev D2
Intel ISA
Linksys LNE100TX
DFE-530TX+ Rev D2

Video Card
FX 5200
Real Magic EM8300
Matrox G200
9600SE 64bit
9250 PCI 128bit
Rage Pro Turbo AGP
S3 Virge VX PCI
Geforce 2 MX
Diamond Stealth 64
Rage 128 Ultra

Sound Card
Sound Blaster SB0220
Sound Blaster 128 ct4810

Misc
SIIG Parrell PCI Card
USB Card
ASUS USB MIR

I take it Texas is not under lock down anymore, or did you get that online ? Just curious as my state is still being stupid yet we have one of the lowest infection and death rates in the nation 🙁

Locally someone is selling a working Gateway 17" CRT CrystalScan YE0711 for $70. Picture on it looks okay so might head out and get it tomorrow.
Is just like this one: https://www.amazon.ca/GATEWAY-CRYSTALSCAN-CRT … W/dp/B00456SBLA

Last edited by Horun on 2020-05-24, 01:15. Edited 1 time in total.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 34145 of 52621, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bjwil1991 wrote on 2020-05-24, 00:58:
Bought a good, functional (battery leakage present, will fix the issue by replacing the battery with a CR2032 (got the battery h […]
Show full quote

Bought a good, functional (battery leakage present, will fix the issue by replacing the battery with a CR2032 (got the battery holder, as well as the board manual, BIOS, and battery replacement guide on vogonsdrivers.com prior to).

Odd portion is the keyboard port. It's been replaced with a PS/2 keyboard connector, which is odd, yet satisfying, plus, it has a header for a PS/2 mouse, which is good (might look and see if that actually works).

Board works accordingly, just needs a new clock battery, slight trace patches, and that'll do.

Gallery: https://imgur.com/gallery/seKiVQF

Nice looking board and it works !

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 34146 of 52621, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Horun wrote on 2020-05-24, 01:09:
I take it Texas is not under lock down anymore, or did you get that online ? Just curious as my state is still being stupid yet […]
Show full quote
candle_86 wrote on 2020-05-23, 19:49:
Got me a scrap box, here is whats inside, gonna test them later today […]
Show full quote

Network Card
Intel Pulse H1012
Kingston KNE111TX
DFE-530TX+ Rev E1
DFE-530TX+ Rev D2
Intel ISA
Linksys LNE100TX
DFE-530TX+ Rev D2

Video Card
FX 5200
Real Magic EM8300
Matrox G200
9600SE 64bit
9250 PCI 128bit
Rage Pro Turbo AGP
S3 Virge VX PCI
Geforce 2 MX
Diamond Stealth 64
Rage 128 Ultra

Sound Card
Sound Blaster SB0220
Sound Blaster 128 ct4810

Misc
SIIG Parrell PCI Card
USB Card
ASUS USB MIR

I take it Texas is not under lock down anymore, or did you get that online ? Just curious as my state is still being stupid yet we have one of the lowest infection and death rates in the nation 🙁

Locally someone is selling a working Gateway 17" CRT CrystalScan YE0711 for $70. Picture on it looks okay so might head out and get it tomorrow.
Is just like this one: https://www.amazon.ca/GATEWAY-CRYSTALSCAN-CRT … W/dp/B00456SBLA

ebay, but we are not under lockdown, we have some restrictions but for the most part its life as normal in texas again

Reply 34147 of 52621, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
candle_86 wrote on 2020-05-24, 03:07:
Horun wrote on 2020-05-24, 01:09:

ebay, but we are not under lockdown, we have some restrictions but for the most part its life as normal in texas again

Oh eff your state 😁 Our Hitler/Stalin styled governor is determined to make life hell for us for months for no reason. Good job finding that on Ebay !

Reply 34148 of 52621, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I still have cache chips stuck in Texas for almost a month and the PB450 board I ordered keeps going to different cities in my state.

Reply 34149 of 52621, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bjwil1991 wrote on 2020-05-24, 03:42:

I still have cache chips stuck in Texas for almost a month and the PB450 board I ordered keeps going to different cities in my state.

The PB450 might have achieved sentience and could have decided to go sight-seeing . 😀

EDIT: There might be a song to be written about cache chips in Texas .

Reply 34150 of 52621, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I still have cache chips stuck in Texas for almost a month...

darry wrote on 2020-05-24, 03:53:

There might be a song to be written about cache chips in Texas .

Yep ! Candles got some cache, we all need to dash, whats the world coming too, I really want just a few. Let me check my stash, I bet he don't take cash...Hahaa
Hey just a little humor.

Reply 34151 of 52621, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The PB450 board has the ISA riser card with it as well and has a better video chip than my Packard Bell's motherboard. The one I bought a week ago will get diagnostics done on it. If the diagnostics card (ISA or PCI) shows ---- on the display, does that mean the BIOS chip has gone bad or something else?

Reply 34152 of 52621, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Horun wrote on 2020-05-24, 04:04:
Yep ! Candles got some cache, we all need to dash, whats the world coming too, I really want just a few. Let me check my stash […]
Show full quote

I still have cache chips stuck in Texas for almost a month...

darry wrote on 2020-05-24, 03:53:

There might be a song to be written about cache chips in Texas .

Yep ! Candles got some cache, we all need to dash, whats the world coming too, I really want just a few. Let me check my stash, I bet he don't take cash...Hahaa
Hey just a little humor.

🤣 .

The world needs laughter .

Reply 34153 of 52621, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Latest eBay purchases.. $5 each for the boards, $15 for the PDA. The iPAQ will for sure need a new battery, but they can no longer be purchased and have a proprietary connector. I'll have to buy a generic 1S LiPO and solder the special connector on. Otherwise, it is in 9/10 shape with just a few minor scuffs and works while plugged in. I also have the CF sleeve for it, keyboard dock, and Linksys Wifi CF card. I used to have the same setup back in high school (2000-2004).

isUEAad.jpg

IOpJxTu.jpg

pC5YtZc.jpg

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 34155 of 52621, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Today I received my Kawai GMega. It is 100% complete with box and minty mint to boot.

Box:

IMG_1637.jpg
Filename
IMG_1637.jpg
File size
139.71 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

The box has all of the foam and cardboard inserts, too.

Cables:

IMG_1638.jpg
Filename
IMG_1638.jpg
File size
189.15 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

It also included one additional MIDI cable and one Mac/PC-98 serial cable. All paperwork is present, too, and so are all plastic bags. 😁

The unit itself:

IMG_1639.jpg
Filename
IMG_1639.jpg
File size
167.06 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

I've been playing with it a little bit, and noticed that next to the GM and user sound banks it includes another sound bank called "SP", for "Sound Palette". "Sound Palette" is the name of Kawai's NEC PC-98 interface card. This bank has some rather nice synth patches.

Reply 34156 of 52621, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
wiretap wrote on 2020-05-24, 13:24:

The iPAQ will for sure need a new battery, but they can no longer be purchased and have a proprietary connector.

Highly recommend the Pocket PC version of Marble Madness for that platform if you can find it. It's an almost arcade perfect version and fun to play with the stylus.

Reply 34157 of 52621, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
liqmat wrote on 2020-05-24, 15:59:
wiretap wrote on 2020-05-24, 13:24:

The iPAQ will for sure need a new battery, but they can no longer be purchased and have a proprietary connector.

Highly recommend the Pocket PC version of Marble Madness for that platform if you can find it. It's an almost arcade perfect version and fun to play with the stylus.

I have a huge collection on my file server of Pocket PC software, utilities, and games. I downloaded a massive archive back in the early 2000's when I had several Windows CE/Mobile devices in active use. I'm sure I have it. 😀

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 34158 of 52621, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, this is going to be fun for me and a terrifyingly long read for some 😀

I was browsing local classifieds last night and found a pretty yellowed 486 rig. I reserved the lot the moment I've identified the parts and the seller contacted me (even though it was around 3AM). Woke up at 10AM and immediately arranged local delivery (the lot was located in the Moscow suburbs). Was not disappointed.

The motherboard is PC Chips M919 v3.3 with a 256KB L2 cache stick and 64MB of EDO RAM.

Dht26hTm.jpg

I know this is an infamous board, but it's also well regarded for its flexibility and even performance. I also know the COAST module is unique to this model and is pretty uncommon. But an even bigger treat was the videocard:

SyVBI6sm.jpg

It's a Matrox Ultima Plus, a high-end VLB videocard from 1993. It's a beast of a card with 6MB of VRAM:

nifKJDYm.jpg

And yeah, it's full length:

1f1KC5Um.jpg

I first tried this on my favourite Opti895-based VLB board. It worked, but barely. At first it crashed QEMM, so I removed the Turtle Beach Tropez Plus because I've suspected a resource conflict. Still, it produced artefacts in Doom timedemo and crashed the game after a few seconds:

yvWX1Q6m.jpg

At the same time it ran Quake benchmark successfully. I was kinda worried there is something wrong with the chip or the RAM on the card, but then I've decided to put it into the PC Chips motherboard.

I've used archive.org to check jumper settings on Amptron's website and realised that the board is set up for AMD 5x86 at 4 x 40Mhz. So I've installed that chip:

ygyVtPmm.jpg

With PC Chips the Matrox can pass the Doom timedemo just fine, but it only produces 13FPS (S3 805 does 45FPS on the same system). The board was unable to boot with a Cirrus Logic card and also required me to switch my Ark Logic 1000VL card to 1WS.

The system came with a 3.2GB Quantum Fireball hard disk that had Windows 98SE installed. That disk had a bunch of games for kids and edutainment titles, including Carmen Sandiego Junior Detective, Simba's Pride and After Dark. Most of these titles were fairly unknown in Russia and the system was configured fo AZERTY, so I'm pretty sure this system came from another country. However I'm still not positive that the HDD really belonged in that computer. Seems weird to run Win98 even on a 5x86, but then again, the OS immediately recognized Matrox without any additional configuration.

Right now the whole setup is slower than my Opti895-based motherboard, but I believe there is still a lot that can be done to improve the performance of M919. First of all, the motherboard uses 64MB of EDO RAM. EDO RAM on a M919 disables L2 cache entirely.

lgtDfiSm.jpg

Besides, 256KB of write-back L2 cache can only cache 32MB of RAM, so the first thing I did was to install 2x16MB of FPM RAM.

Second, I'd like to upgrade the BIOS to 980914s. AFAIK PC Chips had a reflashable BIOS chip on some of the boards and I wonder if that is the case with mine — I still don't have a EEPROM programmer.

Third, there are still things that I don't understand about the jumper settings on this board. What is JP7 for? Can I set VLB wait states or do anything else that would allow me to run ARK1000VL with 0WS? I'd kind of like to test the ARK with a Voodoo 1 on this system.

Finally, I'm yet to find the description for the DIP switches on the Matrox card. Does anyone have those?

jzpkYelm.png

Update: found the description. Seems like there are no IRQ settings or other options that would explain why the board malfunctioned on my previous system.

Now, I realise that this card's strength lied in Windows acceleration, performance in CAD applications, and features like support for 1600 x 1200 and the ability to change resolutions on the fly — not DOS performance or gaming. Still, it kind of baffles me that Matrox falls so far behind even an S3 805.

In the end, I'm really intrigued by the story behind these new parts. It seems weird to me that an expensive workstation 2D card was used on a dirt cheap PC Chips motherboard. Then again, this really seems an upgrade, as the Matrox card was produced in May 1994 and the motherboard is from May 1996. Sure by 1996 you could get a better PCI card? Logically this would indicate that someone had to upgrade to a 5x86 and a new motherboard in order to keep the videocard. Matrox was well regarded for its image quality and support for high resolutions, and an original Matrox Millenium would cost 1000 dollars at launch. I imagine that PC Chips with an AMD 5x86 would cost what, around 150-200 USD in 1996? Seems like a no-brainer. Keep the workstation card, get enough performance for Windows 95.

Second, this board curiously came with 64MB of RAM — not really a budget configuration for 1996. It's more likely to find that amount of RAM on a Pentium Pro than a Socket 7 machine. And this is the second PC Chips board that I found with a lot of memory. The first one was M915, also a PCI/VLB board. This one came with a whopping 128MB RAM — coupled by a 486DX2. Talk about an overkill.

kGkDwIgm.jpg

All of that brings me to a somewhat entertaining conclusion that no matter how crappy PC Chips VIP boards are, they were relatively likely to be found in "workstations". It's also no accident that PC Chips 486 boards are the most documented on the web with resources like this.

Some engineer, architect or a designer has really suffered with this machine 24 years ago. Best case, he travelled to France, came back to Moscow and passed the system down to his kid.

Last edited by jheronimus on 2020-05-24, 19:13. Edited 3 times in total.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog