VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 38200 of 52205, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

And I though getting a second CT1330A for $50 recently was a great deal.

I wish there were still recycling places around here that sold stuff. Last one I knew of closed down like 5 years ago.

In any case, I picked up a Zoltrix Audio Performer / (Audio Excel Pro 16 ? - according to the readme in the driver) which is a Sound Blaster Pro 1.0 clone but with the ability to use a waveblaster type card from the looks of it.

AV300_front.jpg
Filename
AV300_front.jpg
File size
668.23 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
AV300_back.jpg
Filename
AV300_back.jpg
File size
640.91 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Anybody ever try a waveblaster type card on one of these?

I did download the drivers for the Audio Excel Pro 16 and then downloaded the Audio Performer drivers from the archived Zoltrix website.
They may be the same, but the file names are different at least.

Filename
aperf.zip
File size
980.26 KiB
Downloads
51 downloads
File license
Public domain
Filename
audioexcel.zip
File size
925.5 KiB
Downloads
47 downloads
File license
Public domain

I'll have to test this out when I get a chance.

The manual apparently was never available from Zoltrix on their web site.

Edit: Looks like this card was sold by Zoltrix and by Protac though I need to test the card with both driver sets to see if it is indeed the same exact card.

Zoltrix - Audio Performer
Protac - Audio Excel Pro 16

Protac is/was a division of PCCHIPS.

I just love finding old links and then going on archive.org and tracking down the web sites for that company for different countries by trial and error.

Last edited by cyclone3d on 2021-02-24, 20:59. Edited 1 time in total.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 38201 of 52205, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-02-24, 07:26:

[...]
In any case, I picked up a Zoltrix Audio Performer / (Audio Excel Pro 16 ? - according to the readme in the driver) which is a Sound Blaster Pro 1.0 clone but with the ability to use a waveblaster type card from the looks of it.
[...]

another great find!
also 🤣 : every "important" chip on this seems to be a clone

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 38202 of 52205, by CMB75

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Unfortunately, good intentions are just that, good intentions.
At the end of the winter season, I planned to stop purchasing activities and get into refurbishing what I already have in stock.

So, today’s shopping list:

- ASUS P/I-P6NPS rev. 1,41 + PPro
- ASUS PCI-AV264VT (my first ASUS media bus card)
- Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
- Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro
- Diamond Monster MX300 (AU8830A2)
- Roland Sound Canvas SC-55 (old version)
- Roland Sound Brush SB-55 + Midi Music FDDs

- Generic MIDI/Gameport Y-cables

I should be old enough not to fall for impulsive buying, guess I’m not. 😒

Reply 38203 of 52205, by gex85

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I received this beautiful Crystalfontz LCD display with aluminium face plate/bracket, complete with all cables and stuff. Seller even tested it before shipping so I know it works.
(Display: SKD204-634 V2.0 / Bracket DBB634LG).
Always wanted one of those back in the day, I thought (and still think) they were super cool, but being on a tight budget I rather invested in faster CPUs and GPUs 😉
I think it will go nicely with my Cooler Master ATCS that houses a dual Tualatin build.

Crystalfontz.jpg
Filename
Crystalfontz.jpg
File size
692.59 KiB
Views
File comment
Crystalfontz SKD-634 V2.0
File license
CC-BY-4.0

My retro computers

Reply 38204 of 52205, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gex85 wrote on 2021-02-24, 12:17:
I received this beautiful Crystalfontz LCD display with aluminium face plate/bracket, complete with all cables and stuff. Seller […]
Show full quote

I received this beautiful Crystalfontz LCD display with aluminium face plate/bracket, complete with all cables and stuff. Seller even tested it before shipping so I know it works.
Always wanted one of those back in the day, I thought (and still think) they were super cool, but being on a tight budget I rather invested in faster CPUs and GPUs 😉
I think it will go nicely with my Cooler Master ATCS that houses a dual Tualatin build.
Crystalfontz.jpg

Awesome find! I always wanted one but sadly couldn't afford one. I keep looking but most people want an arm and a leg for one still.

Reply 38205 of 52205, by mtgmackid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2021-02-19, 15:38:

Very nice lot! Just watch the caps on that Iwill board. A couple look swollen on top.

Good catch, the 2 1200v ones were! Will recap those shortly =)

Aublak wrote on 2021-02-23, 23:13:

E-waste pickup

Wow and I was thrilled with my lone ewaste CT1350B! Great score.

Picked up the following at my usual place, real happy about the VLB Stealth64:

QGlgSDq.jpg
YzX1Bu5.jpg

Reply 38206 of 52205, by crvs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-02-24, 07:26:

Anybody ever try a waveblaster type card on one of these?

I tried, unfortunately it didn't work. If you be more lucky please share your expericence.

Reply 38208 of 52205, by framebuffer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

arrived yesterday, along with other stuff, but this one, with the most badass name I ever seen, has to have precedence 😁

Hercules Terminator BEAST

terminator_01_1080px.jpg

terminator_02_1080px.jpg

Which btw is a S3 Savage3D 😉

Windows 98 and SAMBA | Quake CPU Benchmarks | GeForce2: GTS vs MX400

Reply 38209 of 52205, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Warlord wrote on 2021-02-23, 13:05:

Love it or hate it. It's a matter of taste. Shipping was a killer but all in all for such a rare and unique case I was happy to get it for what i paid.

Feast your eyes on the Asus Vento 3600, a rare and beautiful case from circa 2005.

Definitely one of those "seize the moment" opportunities! Great catch, like it.

Been looking at those older Alienware cases but the prices are crazy.

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 38211 of 52205, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not as exciting as some of the stuff here but my FireGL V7100 arrived today as a backup for the X850PRO PCIe in my LGA775 Win98 box.

Attachments

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 38212 of 52205, by gex85

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2021-02-24, 14:40:
I received this beautiful Crystalfontz LCD display with aluminium face plate/bracket, complete with all cables and stuff. Seller […]
Show full quote

Crystalfontz.jpg

Awesome find! I always wanted one but sadly couldn't afford one. I keep looking but most people want an arm and a leg for one still.

Yeah I was browsing the local classifieds for a Lian Li case for another build and saw a case advertised with this display in it. I didn't want the case, but the seller agreed to sell the display separately for 15€ + shipping, which is absolutely fair I think.
When I tried to mount it I discovered that the bracket requires some sort of non-standard screws, at least the usual PC screws don't fit. I went through my very extensive collection of screws of varying obscurity and didn't find anything fitting so far... Maybe I will just drill some new holes into the bracket and cut standard M3 threads.

My retro computers

Reply 38213 of 52205, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gex85 wrote on 2021-02-24, 19:36:
Show full quote

Crystalfontz.jpg

Yeah I was browsing the local classifieds for a Lian Li case for another build and saw a case advertised with this display in it. I didn't want the case, but the seller agreed to sell the display separately for 15€ + shipping, which is absolutely fair I think.
When I tried to mount it I discovered that the bracket requires some sort of non-standard screws, at least the usual PC screws don't fit. I went through my very extensive collection of screws of varying obscurity and didn't find anything fitting so far... Maybe I will just drill some new holes into the bracket and cut standard M3 threads.

The screw size it takes is 2-56 or M2.5. I had to order some for mine. None of the hardware stores had them either 🤣.

ZecTMDe.jpg

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 38215 of 52205, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
E-waste pickup […]
Show full quote

E-waste pickup

*Sound Blaster 32s
*a whole lot of Voodoo3s and early Sound Blasters
*3dfx banshee
*a Geforce256 DDR I believe
*a Voodoo2 (love those). likely 8mb
*brand new 250mb Zip disks for an internal zip drive that I bought earlier
*Gigabyte Slot 1 mobo
*and some other stuff (I'm just getting sick of typing)

What is that freaky-looking T-shaped RAM module in the top row??

Reply 38216 of 52205, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
wiretap wrote on 2021-02-24, 20:05:

The screw size it takes is 2-56 or M2.5. I had to order some for mine. None of the hardware stores had them either 🤣.

That tower of yours never gets old to look at. Especially combined with the "Future Power" underneath. Love it.

cyclone3d wrote on 2021-02-24, 20:53:

deleted content cause I hit reply instead of edit

Can't tell you how many damn times I've done that.

Reply 38217 of 52205, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
liqmat wrote on 2021-02-24, 21:30:

That tower of yours never gets old to look at. Especially combined with the "Future Power" underneath. Love it.

haha thanks. I was up around 5am to get ready for work, and the Future Power came up on an Ebay search alert notification for $50 new-in-box / unopened. I had been looking for one for years and they were all going for stupid amounts of money. I believe the tower was a $30 find, which I found on Ebay but did a local pickup from a mom&pop computer shop.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 38218 of 52205, by Aublak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
The screw size it takes is 2-56 or M2.5. I had to order some for mine. None of the hardware stores had them either lol. […]
Show full quote
gex85 wrote on 2021-02-24, 19:36:

ZecTMDe.jpg

Damn, what a cool case.

Shreddoc wrote on 2021-02-24, 21:17:
E-waste pickup […]
Show full quote

E-waste pickup

*Sound Blaster 32s
*a whole lot of Voodoo3s and early Sound Blasters
*3dfx banshee
*a Geforce256 DDR I believe
*a Voodoo2 (love those). likely 8mb
*brand new 250mb Zip disks for an internal zip drive that I bought earlier
*Gigabyte Slot 1 mobo
*and some other stuff (I'm just getting sick of typing)

What is that freaky-looking T-shaped RAM module in the top row??

I have no idea. It looked weird so I took it. Its from Dell and it has ram chips on it. Just a large stick of ram perhaps?

Reply 38219 of 52205, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My Socket 604 haul was more of a donation than a purchase 😀 but still

Complete in box Asus NCCH-DL dual socket server board (in the 'plain' Asus box, rather than the more bling retail one)
Lian Li PC-7 II Plus case
Pair of Thermalright HR-01X tower Xeon heatsinks

NCCH-DL Box.jpg
Filename
NCCH-DL Box.jpg
File size
366.56 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
NCCH-DL Contents.jpg
Filename