Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 3861 of 52973, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
retrofanatic wrote:

@Artex: Incredible haul...very impressive. You must look for boxed items specifically?

Thanks! Yeah, at this point in the game I'm after boxed or New Old Stock items. Although I wouldn't say no to a very selective few 'out-of-the-box' items for which I'm still hunting.

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 3862 of 52973, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A Micron Millenia (@Archive.org) in very good condition. about $16, local pickup. Micronics M55Hi Plus motherboard, P133, Diamond S3 ViRGE, 16 MB RAM. It's rather uncommon to find a US made PC in Poland.

4208845725.jpg
Filename
4208845725.jpg
File size
44.06 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Filename
4208845725_4.jpg
File size
157.76 KiB
Downloads
No downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by GL1zdA on 2014-05-13, 12:22. Edited 1 time in total.

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 3863 of 52973, by PeterLI

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I wonder how much $ people sink into their collection. I do not hold on to a lot because I fear a) items may fail over time and b) the retro thing could a generational fad and suddenly die. Both scenarios would mean the stockpile becomes junk. 😒 I am curious how people deal with that anxiety (or maybe they do not experience it that way). 😈

Nice mini tower BTW! 😀

Reply 3864 of 52973, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
GL1zdA wrote:

A Micron Millenia ([url=ttp://web.archive.org/web/19961110223118/http://www.mei.micron.com/Products/Micron/micron.htm]@Archive.org[/url]) in very good condition.

Nice machine that, very cool case and I like that CPU cooler. What will you do with it? Upgrade? Keep as-is?

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 3865 of 52973, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote:
GL1zdA wrote:

A Micron Millenia (@Archive.org) in very good condition.

Nice machine that, very cool case and I like that CPU cooler. What will you do with it? Upgrade? Keep as-is?

Since it seems it was never upgraded (maybe the modem card was added), I'll probably keep it as it is or do some minor upgrades, but only using parts available at the date of manufacture (09/1996) - a non-MMX Pentium 200 (if the heat sink can cool it), more RAM.

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 3866 of 52973, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ah... a Micron Milennia was my first bought-new PC. I got the P200/AN430TX/S3-4mb version in June 1997. Always loved the case and still have the front bezel as a momento - and the motherboard which is still in use in a Retro rig. $16 good price. They don't come up too often on eBay, though there are a few right now, and much more $$$.

I held on to the groovy screw-on CPU cooler as well..

Reply 3867 of 52973, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PeterLI wrote:

I wonder how much $ people sink into their collection. I do not hold on to a lot because I fear a) items may fail over time and b) the retro thing could a generational fad and suddenly die. Both scenarios would mean the stockpile becomes junk. 😒 I am curious how people deal with that anxiety (or maybe they do not experience it that way). 😈

Nice mini tower BTW! 😀

I don't feel any anxiety about it, but I don't own anything as some sort of speculation or "investment" - it's just widgets that I want (or wanted) to own and can afford to. 😀

+1 on that groovy heatsink; haven't seen one of those in years.

Reply 3868 of 52973, by Mystery

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

lUNsnNJ.jpg
bsgxAsi.jpg
Phew, this took both more time and more money than I would've liked. But since I'm selling a lot of my collection, I've got some spare change to up the quality and reduce the quantity of stuff I've got here.

Question to anyone who knows more about 3DFX cards:
Have I become too dumb to use Google or is this card somewhat rare? Skywell was one of the very few manufacturers who made 8MB Voodoo1 cards. Version A looks like the Quantum 3D 8MB card and there's a 4MB version B1 card, but I haven't been able to find any pictures of the 8MB version B1 card. Version A seems to pop up a couple of times, but this one...

::42::

Reply 3869 of 52973, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have you tested how newer games run on this card? Unreal Tournament etc.

I don't think this was a popular card as Voodoo1/2 being fullscreen only makes them suboptimal for CAD. I can't see the 4 MB framebuffer being that useful in games either as a Voodoo1 is just too slow for 800x600 in newer games.

Reply 3870 of 52973, by Mystery

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There's a bunch of benchmarks here: http://thandor.net/object/109 (not mine)
The 8MB V1 cards seem to get about 50% of the V2 performance at 800x600, which isn't much.

Unreal Tournament doesn't run well on a Voodoo1. Unreal 1 is already barely playable (below 20fps at 640x480).

::42::

Reply 3871 of 52973, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Interesting benchmarks. The results seem all over the place in 3DMark2000 as the Obsidian SB50-4220 (Voodoo1 with second TMU) is even slower than a regular Monster 3D. I guess the card uses a driver that isn't optimized for Direct3D. For the other cards the extra memory has a huge effect in that benchmark, while in games it is suprisingly irrelevant. Even 6 MB are a total waste for Voodoo1.

Reply 3872 of 52973, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PeterLI wrote:

Nice mini tower BTW! 😀

If you view this hobby as any sort of investment, you're doing it wrong.

This stuff is already junk to most people. You should only buy old computer equipment if you get some enjoyment out of it, whether that be building systems or just having them in a cupboard somewhere as a collection. If you're expecting some return on investment you should probably find a different hobby.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 3873 of 52973, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Mystery, that's certainly a great card! It does not matter if it is good at 800x600 in Unreal, it's still one of the ultimate Voodoo 1 cards 😀

I just bought 2x Radeon 9800Pro locally. Picture from advertisement: http://18.img.avito.st/640x480/809989918.jpg
The second card is almost identical, but has a backplate and a replaced capacitor.

I'm thinking of buying these for one of the cards to try and flash it into 9800XT:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/111222131985
http://www.ebay.com/itm/110703365805

However, I am concerned about the weight of the new cooler. Do you guys think the card will bend and get damaged?

Reply 3875 of 52973, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

been having good luck at the local Savers thrift so decided to drop in today only a few days since my last visit. not much to see and I was acually mumbling to myself "boring...boring..." was going through the old monitors and printers and then I looked down and...

100_7374_zps5ee7644a.jpg

I knew right away it was probably a 386, opened it up and sure enough had a nice socketed amd 386-40 in it as well as an assortment of cards. oddly enough the inside of the case was also signed.

100_7376_zpsa3d0be72.jpg

So far after getting it home I've only gotten it to post once. I think its a RAM issue but I'm in the process of taking it apart and seeing whats to see.

100_7378_zpsd6a138de.jpg

as for the cards it has a Reveal ISA sound card. doesn't look to shabby as it has a wavetable header and a real opl chip.2 I/O cards. a weird little card with a chip labeled "logitech juliette 2" I assumed it was a bus mouse card but the port doesn't look like it quite matches up. the video card is a WD paradise accelerator 24.

Last edited by soviet conscript on 2014-05-14, 09:11. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3877 of 52973, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Lukeno94 wrote:

From a quick Google search, there's not much out there on that Logitech chip, but it may be that card is for a scanner.

I couldn't find much either. at least if it was a bus card it could of been useful to me.

after taking it apart and having it at the bare minimum I cant get it to post again 🙁. It only did that once. There is some battery leakage damage. it doesnt look to severe but you never know.

Reply 3878 of 52973, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
soviet conscript wrote:
Lukeno94 wrote:

From a quick Google search, there's not much out there on that Logitech chip, but it may be that card is for a scanner.

I couldn't find much either. at least if it was a bus card it could of been useful to me.

after taking it apart and having it at the bare minimum I cant get it to post again 🙁. It only did that once. There is some battery leakage damage. it doesnt look to severe but you never know.

that sucks, because that is a REALLY nice late 386 board. I have an identical one, as well as doughnut king: 386DX40 build

see if you can't clean the battery area a bit and see if any traces are broken. Do you have other memory you can test?

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 3879 of 52973, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:
soviet conscript wrote:
Lukeno94 wrote:

that sucks, because that is a REALLY nice late 386 board. I have an identical one, as well as doughnut king: 386DX40 build

see if you can't clean the battery area a bit and see if any traces are broken. Do you have other memory you can test?

I do have other memory I can test. I'll try that after cleaning up the acid damage area. It did at least post once so I still have some hope. I noticed DK's board has a SIS chipset. mine is UMC