Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 42960 of 52805, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Cuttoon wrote on 2022-03-03, 09:50:

But you'd be wasting a perfectly good 5.25" bay for a 3.5" and probably run short in space for the 5.25" floppy, the CDROM, the DVDROM, the respective burners, the sound card front panel, micro speakers, HDD cage, watercooling reservoir, multi card reader and that terrarium for your pet cricket, won't you?

I need that 5.25" bay for my lighter/cup holder.

Reply 42961 of 52805, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kahenraz wrote on 2022-03-03, 11:16:

I need that 5.25" bay for my lighter/cup holder.

NOW!!!

Who do I need to blow and/or kill to get one?

Damn, I'll have to start smoking again.
Now I know why a certain Aussie needs an 850 W PSU. Man's got a point.

I like jumpers.

Reply 42963 of 52805, by tunertom

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
lbanfi2 wrote on 2022-03-03, 12:29:

Welcome everyone!
I have been looking for used of Ageia Physx cards (Dell, Asus, Bfg) for a long time.

I think I remember there only being 16 games that support PhysX cards (PPU)

Not really worth the electricity, cash and heat build up inside the case for that? They weren't really great games either

Unless you just want it on the shelf for nostalgia? I remember when they come out and were hyped up but they died a quick death

Last edited by Stiletto on 2022-03-03, 21:30. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 42964 of 52805, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think that PhysX was an interesting technology but developers lost interest once it became an NVIDIA exclusive.

Once multiple cores proliferated, and CPUs got faster, all of this ended up being done in software. A sad ending for a very interesting technology.

Reply 42965 of 52805, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, I bought a number of GPUs over the past week or so, and they are mostly unique or interesting in some way. I'll update every few days or so.

Here's the first one:

NEC/Matrox Mystique with no display out. It's for a Japanese-based PC9821. D'oh!

Surprisingly, it does get detected and installed automatically in Windows ME (as a Mystique 200), but I can't do anything with it of which I am aware.

I thought I was buying some kind of card which operated like a PowerVR. I spent about 15 seconds researching it before I bought it because I didn't want to lose the chance of getting it. Well, after I bought it, I discovered I bought fool's gold (I didn't look, but with my luck on this buy there's a half million of them available for $0.25). I didn't cancel the sale because the seller shouldn't suffer for my Matrox "Myst-ake." One can't spend a lot of time waffling on an eBay purchase when something rare (not so rare/in demand in this case) pops up. The price paid for little hesitation is what I have here today.

If there's some Video Card collector out there who would like to make a trade, send me a PM with what you have available. Some kind of Cirrus Logic card will probably do, haha!

Attachments

• IMG_0344.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_0344.JPG
    File size
    1.95 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 42966 of 52805, by tunertom

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Got hold of these pair 😁 replaced the thermal paste and pads with Thermal Grizzly kryonaut and minuspad 8's

Attachments

Reply 42967 of 52805, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Meatball wrote on 2022-03-03, 20:02:
Well, I bought a number of GPUs over the past week or so, and they are mostly unique or interesting in some way. I'll update ev […]
Show full quote

Well, I bought a number of GPUs over the past week or so, and they are mostly unique or interesting in some way. I'll update every few days or so.

Here's the first one:

NEC/Matrox Mystique with no display out. It's for a Japanese-based PC9821. D'oh!

Surprisingly, it does get detected and installed automatically in Windows ME (as a Mystique 200), but I can't do anything with it of which I am aware.

I thought I was buying some kind of card which operated like a PowerVR. I spent about 15 seconds researching it before I bought it because I didn't want to lose the chance of getting it. Well, after I bought it, I discovered I bought fool's gold (I didn't look, but with my luck on this buy there's a half million of them available for $0.25). I didn't cancel the sale because the seller shouldn't suffer for my Matrox "Myst-ake." One can't spend a lot of time waffling on an eBay purchase when something rare (not so rare/in demand in this case) pops up. The price paid for little hesitation is what I have here today.

If there's some Video Card collector out there who would like to make a trade, send me a PM with what you have available. Some kind of Cirrus Logic card will probably do, haha!

That's..... special. Kinda thing that if I had kicking round I might populate the VESA connector and try to get something out of that for amusement one day, but yeah, it's a bit of a weird one.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 42968 of 52805, by HanSolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Got a whole lot of hardware in the last days. The highligts are an AGP Gainward 7800 GS with 512 MB and a Soundblaster AWE 32 with OPL.

Gainward7800GS.JPG
Filename
Gainward7800GS.JPG
File size
286.94 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
SBAwe32.jpg
Filename
SBAwe32.jpg
File size
370.14 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

And then I got an old notebook from a local seller. The photos didn't show very much and I couldn't find any info about exactly that model but it was clearly from the Pentium 1 era. For 15 Euro I thought it's worth getting anyway. It's a Maxdata 'Artist' Bristol (article no. is 46 60 10 in case anyone is interested) with Pentium 133, 32 MB, Sound, CD and unfortunately only a DSTN display. For the price I think I can't complain but I don't really have a use for it so probably I'll sell it some day.

Maxdata_Artist.jpg
Filename
Maxdata_Artist.jpg
File size
147.21 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 42969 of 52805, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Meatball wrote on 2022-03-03, 20:02:
Well, I bought a number of GPUs over the past week or so, and they are mostly unique or interesting in some way. I'll update ev […]
Show full quote

Here's the first one:

How exactly would the PC9821 use this ..im not familiar with that system so I guess I am missing an important detail but without and IGPU it wouldn't be able to even pass the video signal out to a display.

Or does it use it like an accelerator card.

HanSolo wrote on 2022-03-03, 21:53:
Got a whole lot of hardware in the last days. The highligts are an AGP Gainward 7800 GS with 512 MB and a Soundblaster AWE 32 wi […]
Show full quote

Got a whole lot of hardware in the last days. The highligts are an AGP Gainward 7800 GS with 512 MB and a Soundblaster AWE 32 with OPL.
Gainward7800GS.JPG
SBAwe32.jpg

And then I got an old notebook from a local seller. The photos didn't show very much and I couldn't find any info about exactly that model but it was clearly from the Pentium 1 era. For 15 Euro I thought it's worth getting anyway. It's a Maxdata 'Artist' Bristol (article no. is 46 60 10 in case anyone is interested) with Pentium 133, 32 MB, Sound, CD and unfortunately only a DSTN display. For the price I think I can't complain but I don't really have a use for it so probably I'll sell it some day.
Maxdata_Artist.jpg

That laptop looks to be in great condition, I would .. shove an external display on it and use it that way myself, perhaps as a nice little quick and dirty DOS gaming machine. DSTN displays are horrible but so long as it has the ability to do display out I dont write the machine off if it has good DOS compatibility.

Last edited by TrashPanda on 2022-03-03, 23:10. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 42970 of 52805, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not so much bought, as in 'should I' buy them ? 😄

Never seen anything like this, Speed card.... which seems to be able to set a speed in Mhz(?) from 25 to 66.
Assuming that might be the bus speed on a motherboard ?
Or is it related to modems or somesuch thingie ?

SpeedCard.JPG
Filename
SpeedCard.JPG
File size
206.31 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 42971 of 52805, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bestemor wrote on 2022-03-03, 23:09:
Not so much bought, as in 'should I' buy them ? 😄 […]
Show full quote

Never seen anything like this, Speed card.... which seems to be able to set a speed in Mhz(?) from 25 to 66.
SpeedCard.JPG

Maybe I'm talking nonsense but these look like Joystick adapters with dual DB15 connectors. Maybe the "speed switch" is some kind of feature that matches the card to the system bus speed so that the Joystick timings are more accurate, or something of this sort

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 42973 of 52805, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kahenraz wrote on 2022-03-03, 19:58:

I think that PhysX was an interesting technology but developers lost interest once it became an NVIDIA exclusive.

Once multiple cores proliferated, and CPUs got faster, all of this ended up being done in software. A sad ending for a very interesting technology.

Havok pretty much killed Physx for gaming, even if nVidia had not bought it, its life was going to be incredibly short with how fast CPU power was increasing and how quickly CPU based physics engines were progressing and the simple fact that games dont require sophisticated physics simulations that need to be done in hardware.

Reply 42974 of 52805, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
MMaximus wrote on 2022-03-03, 23:14:
Show full quote

SpeedCard.JPG

Maybe I'm talking nonsense but these look like Joystick adapters with dual DB15 connectors. Maybe the "speed switch" is some kind of feature that matches the card to the system bus speed so that the Joystick timings are more accurate, or something of this sort

Could it be for expensive controls for flight sims and such, Hotas type controllers might need more timing accuracy.

Reply 42975 of 52805, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Cuttoon wrote on 2022-03-03, 09:40:
Hehe, isn't that just the holy grail of floppy drives? (especially for cases without 3.5 bays) […]
Show full quote
bjwil1991 wrote on 2022-03-03, 05:09:

my interest is the dual floppy drive

Hehe, isn't that just the holy grail of floppy drives?
(especially for cases without 3.5 bays)

I was so happy when I got one on ebay and NOS, in a box, the dummy disk still inside.
For almost nothing because HE HAD NO IDEA WHAT HE WAS DEALING WITH! 😳

That and having a dual floppy drive in a 286 is better than a single drive.

Planning on putting this bad boy in my Portable 286 so I can play Lemmings.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 42976 of 52805, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-03-03, 23:21:
MMaximus wrote on 2022-03-03, 23:14:
Show full quote

SpeedCard.JPG

Could it be for expensive controls for flight sims and such, Hotas type controllers might need more timing accuracy.

It is for any type of joystick / gamepad. The really early ones will only work up to a certain speed, then for a while they had speed adjustable, some by a switch like that and for the higher end, the Gravis one has an external POT so you can adjust in real time without opening up the computer

Later gameport cards would "auto adjust" aka work on pretty much any speed system.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 42977 of 52805, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I ended up finally ordering a Compaq DeskPro 8086 motherboard.

Seller still has 5x unopened ones.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 42978 of 52805, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
HanSolo wrote on 2022-03-03, 21:53:
Got a whole lot of hardware in the last days. The highligts are an AGP Gainward 7800 GS with 512 MB and a Soundblaster AWE 32 wi […]
Show full quote

Gainward7800GS.JPG
SBAwe32.jpg

Maxdata_Artist.jpg

That 7800GS may actually be a 7800GT.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 42979 of 52805, by mattferris@hotmail.c

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Got a BX6 R2 with some kind of slot1 CPU on it (guessing a P2) and some assortment of video, network, and sound cards the seller threw in for free (probably because they were worth 0). I'm going to put in the closet and revisit some other time. I always had a thing for that motherboard when I was a kid.