Topic actions

Reply 44060 of 52337, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Meatball wrote on 2022-04-22, 00:13:
Cuttoon wrote on 2022-04-21, 22:15:
People who ship NOS boxes without protection need to be beaten with wet towels. Only thing worse are people who simply ship the […]
Show full quote
Meatball wrote on 2022-04-21, 20:31:

Elsa GLoria Synergy - My first 3DLabs Permedia 2-based card. It was factory sealed, but the seller shipped it in a bubble mailer. Especially because this box has practically zero support to keep it from collapsing in on itself, serious damage was all but assured the moment the bubble mailer was sealed. The seller refunded me a chunk of the sale price for the inconvenience. The card works fine. I really like the faux-gold mounting bracket - it makes the card look like it means business. The only other card I saw with a gold bracket was a Ti4600 OC card from Sparkle (which also meant business).

People who ship NOS boxes without protection need to be beaten with wet towels. Only thing worse are people who simply ship the NOS box with a label and some tape.

Why would you call it faux-gold? It's gold plated, as genuine as contacts or some S7 heatspreaders.
Quite a few parts have that, I have at least:
- Guillemot TV card
- game port bracket
- several Terratec sound cards
- the same Elsa card
- some NIC, but not even sure, but it exists, 100 Mbit PCI
- USB PCI card, same story

I suppose you're technically accurate, but to me it's phony. Just a like fiat issued coins - There's some (very little) silver (or copper) in there, but it's no better than a nano meter thin layer of plating. Not like one of my molars - that's solid gold.

Well, gold plating is as real as it gets. It's not just show, it will not rust. No one ever considered making any technical device out of massive Gold - no matter the cost, it's way too soft.
Which is why your molar, sorry to break it to you, is only about three quarters gold an one quarter tougher alloys. 😉

I like jumpers.

Reply 44061 of 52337, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cuttoon wrote on 2022-04-22, 04:17:
Meatball wrote on 2022-04-22, 00:13:
Cuttoon wrote on 2022-04-21, 22:15:
People who ship NOS boxes without protection need to be beaten with wet towels. Only thing worse are people who simply ship the […]
Show full quote

People who ship NOS boxes without protection need to be beaten with wet towels. Only thing worse are people who simply ship the NOS box with a label and some tape.

Why would you call it faux-gold? It's gold plated, as genuine as contacts or some S7 heatspreaders.
Quite a few parts have that, I have at least:
- Guillemot TV card
- game port bracket
- several Terratec sound cards
- the same Elsa card
- some NIC, but not even sure, but it exists, 100 Mbit PCI
- USB PCI card, same story

I suppose you're technically accurate, but to me it's phony. Just a like fiat issued coins - There's some (very little) silver (or copper) in there, but it's no better than a nano meter thin layer of plating. Not like one of my molars - that's solid gold.

Well, gold plating is as real as it gets. It's not just show, it will not rust. No one ever considered making any technical device out of massive Gold - no matter the cost, it's way too soft.
Which is why your molar, sorry to break it to you, is only about three quarters gold an one quarter tougher alloys. 😉

I’m on a wrong streak the past 23 hours. That’s 3 times in a row now, but that’s three new things I leaned. I should be wrong more often. Thanks for information!

Reply 44065 of 52337, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
stef80 wrote on 2022-04-22, 11:18:

I wish the prices were lower with +9k lots / ~28k processors.

well as long as people are buying at those prices why would they lower it x3

I held off so far, because shipping and customs/taxes makes them about double the price 😒

Reply 44066 of 52337, by stef80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, they are still cheaper than anybody else. But they'll never sell more than few 100s with these prices.
I'm also from Europe. Tax is 25%, and no customs up to 150€. I managed to sell 1 cpu to a friend from other forum, keeping 2 for myself.
It would have been cheaper if seller was private person ... but it is what it s.

Reply 44067 of 52337, by Socket3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Unknown_K wrote on 2022-04-22, 01:01:
pentiumspeed wrote on 2022-04-21, 23:51:
Shreddoc wrote on 2022-04-21, 23:43:

A few years (3?? 5??) ago, they were semi- a pain to get. The CPUs were a dime-a-dozen, cheap as potato chips, but for motherboards everyone wanted $50-100. Has the cycle moved around again since then ?

No. Motherboards is still expensive especially the high end stuff and questionable especially from chinese sources.

Cheers,

Well I have the Asus Sabertooth x58, MSI X58 Pro and the Asus P6T.

There are probably higher end boards not sure. The MSI I got for very little since it had a bent pin (easy fix).

Picked up a Gigabyte GA-X58-UD3 rev 1.6 last week myself, together with an i7 920. Wish it was rev 2.0, but I got it for a very good price so I'm happy with it. Also found an Asus x58 sabertooth + i7 970 and a noctua D15 bundle, but I'm waiting for the price to drop. Would have bought the motherboard separately but the seller doesn't want to break up the kit. Hat an Asus P6T deluxe back in the day, good board.

Reply 44068 of 52337, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Shreddoc wrote on 2022-04-21, 23:43:
Unknown_K wrote on 2022-04-21, 23:28:
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2022-04-21, 22:00:

I saw that listing a few weeks back. I also got a Asus sabertooth x58 and paired it with a Xeon x5675 as a gaming system for my wife. I got 24 gigs of 1600mhx ddr 3 it's a great system she really loves it.

Its my 3rd LGA 1366 board, snagging them while they are cheap.

A few years (3?? 5??) ago, they were semi- a pain to get. The CPUs were a dime-a-dozen, cheap as potato chips, but for motherboards everyone wanted $50-100. Has the cycle moved around again since then ?

The Sabertooth x58 I bought for my wife was 80 plus a small shipping charge. And the X5675 Xeon was 14 bucks shipped. The ram, AIO, and SSD I ordered new off Newegg. I have maybe 250 invested into her system. I'm waiting for gpus to drop a little bit more to upgrade her off a 1050ti. Back in August I replaced my 775 daily driver with a HP Proliant ML350 workstation/server. I added two X5675 Xeon's and 24 gigs of RAM per cpu I just had to add a sound card and GPU which is currently a EVGA 3050 XC. This system is fast I can play basically any game I have with zero issues. Between both systems we have less than 400 not including the 3050. I need to stop being lazy and make a post about both systems they were a ton of fun to build. We mainly play Guild Wars 2 and they run that game max setting beautifully.

Reply 44069 of 52337, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I suspect too many are being bought to mod to K6-3+ at the asking price

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 44070 of 52337, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Been rather quite here due to work lately but I did manage to track down the 4mb expansion card for the Millenium II, had fun haggling with the seller and got it for a price we were both happy with, not many seller on eBay for the card either must have been rather rare back in the day.

Reply 44071 of 52337, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
debs3759 wrote on 2022-04-22, 13:50:

I suspect too many are being bought to mod to K6-3+ at the asking price

I've held off on grabbing more of them .. but with this mod it might be worth buying a dozen or so and modding them, binning them then selling the best performers.

The rest I would likely just try and give them away or keep them around for spares in the SS7 test rig as burn chips.

Reply 44072 of 52337, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Unknown_K wrote on 2022-04-21, 20:49:

Not sure how retro this is, but just got in an ASUS Sabertooth X58 with i7-980x and 12GB DDR3-1333.

Is the 870x better then equivalent 6 core XEONs?

The 870x is the consumer grade CPU and the boards and CPU only support dual channel RAM while the 980x supports triple channel RAM.

Get some nice high speed RAM... DDR3-2000 is a good speed and make that sucker sing.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 44073 of 52337, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Does this count as hardware? 😜

Took delivery of this classic from my youth. One of the cosmetically better units I've found on Ebay (with battery cover even!) and at a relatively cheap price.

Was listed as "untested" but turns out it works flawlessly. 😁

Attachments

• Missile_invader.jpg
    Filename
    Missile_invader.jpg
    File size
    238.39 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 44074 of 52337, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shponglefan wrote on 2022-04-22, 16:34:

Took delivery of this classic from my youth. One of the cosmetically better units I've found on Ebay (with battery cover even!) and at a relatively cheap price.

Haha, that is an utterly shameless knockoff of "space invaders", I take it?

Sure, it does only the one simple game, but compared to my Game Boy, those graphics look really great. Awesome!

I like jumpers.

Reply 44075 of 52337, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Cuttoon wrote on 2022-04-22, 16:45:
Shponglefan wrote on 2022-04-22, 16:34:

Haha, that is an utterly shameless knockoff of "space invaders", I take it?

Sure, it does only the one simple game, but compared to my Game Boy, those graphics look really great. Awesome!

Its certainly a neat little thing to own, Id collect similar retro handhelds if they didn't cost my left kidney to collect. (I really like the car racing style of handhelds, some of them had amazingly complex setups to them)

Reply 44076 of 52337, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Repo Man11 wrote on 2022-04-11, 21:04:

The first ever AGP card I bought was a GeForce 2 Ti, so I decided to try and find one. I found a Quadro 2 Pro for a reasonable price, partly because it was missing the fan assembly. I had something on hand that worked, but it didn't look right. I saw a listing for a correct fan assembly, but they wanted $30.00, which was too high for me. Then I found an FX 5500 with bad caps that had just what I needed, and I got it for $8.56 shipped. At some point I'll try recapping it (I'm afraid to even try it as is), but for now I just needed the fan assembly.

I bought a $9.00 cooler and some replacement capacitors from Amazon for the FX 5500, and replaced the caps last night. I was happy to see the card worked perfectly when I was done since I had been afraid to even try it out as it was (I had my fingers crossed as I powered up the machine). I tested it in a Gigabyte 8IPE1000 Pro with a 3.0/800/512 P4 and Windows XP, and I used the default XP driver for testing; the card worked fine, no issues at all. It scored about 8,000 points in 3D 2001, and I got it up to about 9,200 by overclocking it, and I ran the test many times to stress test the card.

But then when I pulled it out today, I saw one of the replacement capacitors was already failing! That will teach me to buy cheap capacitors from an Amazon vendor who apparently sells new old stock from 2002.

Attachments

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 44077 of 52337, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I buy all of my capacitors from AliExpress. They're no Nichicons, but have worked fine for all of my repairs.

That's quite bizarre to see one suddenly go bad like that. I've never seen anything like it.

Reply 44078 of 52337, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote on 2022-04-22, 16:23:
Unknown_K wrote on 2022-04-21, 20:49:

Not sure how retro this is, but just got in an ASUS Sabertooth X58 with i7-980x and 12GB DDR3-1333.

Is the 870x better then equivalent 6 core XEONs?

The 870x is the consumer grade CPU and the boards and CPU only support dual channel RAM while the 980x supports triple channel RAM.

Get some nice high speed RAM... DDR3-2000 is a good speed and make that sucker sing.

I put in 6 sticks of2GB DDR3-1600 for now and it runs in 3 channel mode. If I bother to overclock it then I will try faster RAM. Thing is the CPU is 130W as is and I am only using a EVO 212 cooler on it so overclocking might make it overheat.

The Xeons on my other 2 machines use much less power so I overclocked a x5760 (95W stock) to 4Ghz. The other board has a X5650 (95W stock).

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 44079 of 52337, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Big towers are not really my pair of shoes, but I got them in a fair price and I wanted them for the drives and cards...

Attachments

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg