Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 4480 of 53037, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Eh - it's a nice card, I think it earns a pass. 😜

You gonna game with it, or use it for GPU computing?

And on the 6800s - I'm still saying it's a typo; DDR3 as we know it today in desktops did not exist in 2004-2005 outside of R&D (it's a very different thing). Just like how a lot of review sites and adverts called the FX 5800 Ultra a "DDR-II" card, even though it's GDDR2. Or how many reviews/etc will lazily say "DDR4" or "DDR5" when talking about cards like the HD 2900XT or HD 4870. 😊

Reply 4481 of 53037, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
obobskivich wrote:

And on the 6800s - I'm still saying it's a typo; DDR3 as we know it today in desktops did not exist in 2004-2005 outside of R&D (it's a very different thing). Just like how a lot of review sites and adverts called the FX 5800 Ultra a "DDR-II" card, even though it's GDDR2. Or how many reviews/etc will lazily say "DDR4" or "DDR5" when talking about cards like the HD 2900XT or HD 4870. 😊

Maybe the cards with DDR3 were made after 2005....Just sayin.

Reply 4482 of 53037, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sliderider wrote:

I'm still very skeptical and will maintain it's a lazy/common typo (really it's not uncommon to see the "G" dropped, and folks tend to equate GDDR3 = DDR3 or GDDR2 = DDR2 as a result), when in reality they're quite different). I looked up images/info of the boxes of the cards you pictured, and found the back of the eVGA's box which clearly states GDDR3:
image.php?id=290&image=evga_6800gt_pkgrear_show&w=1600
(there's also apparently an older version of the packaging that shows the older "evga.com" logo, which states GDDR3)

Newegg's specs for both cards also confirm GDDR3, the Phoronix review of the eVGA card (where that image is from) also states GDDR3 for that model.

Could not find a close-up of the XFX's box, but TPU shows it as a GDDR3 card (and it should be assumed that "DDR3" on a graphics card's box means GDDR3, such as in these cases and in the case of the Asus mentioned earlier). I would assume if we had a close-up of the "info panel" on the XFX box it would say "Fast GDDR3 Memory Interface" or something like that (just like on the eVGA), despite "DDR3" being printed on the front of the box.

Finally, nVidia's specifications only specify GDDR3:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce6_techspecs.html

Also, to clarify, DDR3 for desktops/etc was not actually released until 2007-2008. 😊

Reply 4483 of 53037, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:
obobskivich wrote:

Considering that DDR3 actually came out as a physical release in 2007, the odds are astronomical. I really doubt that anyone would put lower performing parts that were also prototypes (essentially), and thus more expensive, on their cards. Then again, Intel did insist on using RAMBUS...

Reply 4484 of 53037, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

GDDR is not the same as DDR; it has enhancements which are targeted at graphic hardware applications, hence the "G". The spec was designed by ATI Technologies with the collaboration of JEDEC and was first used on the GeForce FX 5700 Ultra in 2004.

GDDR3 was used for both the top and mid range of the GeForce 6 series.

Do your research, kids.

See here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GDDR3
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nvidia_g … rocessing_units

Reply 4485 of 53037, by Nahkri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What i bought lately.

IMG_2007_zpsc2f0b3f0.jpg

A isa soundcard it seems to be a MediaVision soundcard altough not sure which model.

IMG_1907_zps04793131.jpg

Asus Super Socket 7 motherboard with Sis 5591 chipset,altough it has jumper settings for 100mhz fsb,it won't work,highest fsb it can support it's 90mhz.

IMG_2003_zps7b7d0f3c.jpg

Manli Supersocket 7 via mvp3 board with a weird l2 cache chip placement,i wonder if the heat from the cpu does hurt the cache chip.

IMG_1975_zpsb614d5b0.jpg

A intel D975XBX2 motherboard socket 775,intel 975x chipset.

IMG_1980_zps99252f9f.jpg

Avc socket 775 cooler with 90mm fan.

IMG_2006_zps126caf96.jpg

S3 trio agp videocard.

IMG_1999_zps6b7a748b.jpg

K6-3 400 mhz.

0af2a77a-829a-4524-9135-a3a235cf8f02_zps17654c97.jpg

K6-2 500mhz

IMG_1996_zps84043888.jpg

K6-2 450mhz

IMG_1997_zps16d62761.jpg

K6-2 266mhz

IMG_1909_zps95d3a1d3.jpg

k6-266mhz

IMG_2001_zps1340d1b1.jpg

K6-200mhz

IMG_1994_zps1b0f3a1c.jpg

Amd Athlon 3000+ Barton core.

IMG_1906_zpsa3d8dc4e.jpg

Creative Nvidia TNT 16mb ram.

Last edited by Nahkri on 2014-07-28, 11:17. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 4487 of 53037, by GeorgeMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

edited

Last edited by GeorgeMan on 2014-08-11, 17:43. Edited 1 time in total.

Core i7-13700 | 32G DDR4 | Biostar B760M | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 32" AOC 75Hz IPS + 17" DEC CRT 1024x768 @ 85Hz
Win11 + Virtualization => Emudeck @consoles | pcem @DOS~Win95 | Virtualbox @Win98SE & softGPU | VMware @2K&XP | ΕΧΟDΟS

Reply 4488 of 53037, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's a lot of caps to replace 😵

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 4489 of 53037, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Lukeno94 wrote:
sliderider wrote:
obobskivich wrote:

Considering that DDR3 actually came out as a physical release in 2007, the odds are astronomical. I really doubt that anyone would put lower performing parts that were also prototypes (essentially), and thus more expensive, on their cards. Then again, Intel did insist on using RAMBUS...

Explain this, then.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AGP-card-NVIDIA-XFX-G … =item2ecaa820c1

Look at the picture with the stickers on the back of the card. What does that say? DDR-III on an FX5700, an even older GPU than the GeForce 6. Just because DDR3 didn't come out until later, doesn't mean that someone couldn't make a video card using that technology. Someone can make a GeForce 6 card today and use DDR3 memory in it. They don't have to use what was available in 2005.

Reply 4490 of 53037, by GeorgeMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

That's a lot of caps to replace 😵

Replace all, or just the leaky/not healthy ones?
If all, only the main near the voltage regulators, or all-all? 😜

Core i7-13700 | 32G DDR4 | Biostar B760M | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 32" AOC 75Hz IPS + 17" DEC CRT 1024x768 @ 85Hz
Win11 + Virtualization => Emudeck @consoles | pcem @DOS~Win95 | Virtualbox @Win98SE & softGPU | VMware @2K&XP | ΕΧΟDΟS

Reply 4491 of 53037, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Replace EVERY cap, that's the correct way to deal with these situations. 90% of them are in the affected areas anyways.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4492 of 53037, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

People already *have* explained it, sliderider, you're just refusing to listen. Sometimes, people get lazy or confused, and miss off the "G". This happens with major publications and companies as well as Joe Public. Your comment about "people can make GeForce 6 cards today with DDR3" is both irrelevant, and probably wrong; I very much doubt that there are any dies floating around for such cards any more, and no one is going to waste their time doing that. Equally, it is even more irrelevant when you're talking about cards that clearly AREN'T recent productions. That eBay advert you link to is quite obviously an error, and if you bothered to do some research, you'd quickly find that it uses GDDR3. It is literally impossible for such an old card to use DDR3, so stop spreading misinformation.

Reply 4493 of 53037, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Lukeno94 wrote:

People already *have* explained it, sliderider, you're just refusing to listen. Sometimes, people get lazy or confused, and miss off the "G". This happens with major publications and companies as well as Joe Public. Your comment about "people can make GeForce 6 cards today with DDR3" is both irrelevant, and probably wrong; I very much doubt that there are any dies floating around for such cards any more, and no one is going to waste their time doing that. Equally, it is even more irrelevant when you're talking about cards that clearly AREN'T recent productions. That eBay advert you link to is quite obviously an error, and if you bothered to do some research, you'd quickly find that it uses GDDR3. It is literally impossible for such an old card to use DDR3, so stop spreading misinformation.

How can it be an error? It has a sticker from the factory saying DDR-III right on the card. Did you even look at the picture, or just ignore it, convinced of your own righteousness?

As for cards being made from old dies, there are still companies selling brand new ATi Rage cards. And here's a link to Jatons site where they still sell a GF6200 card.

http://www.jaton.com/VGA/graphics_card_detail.php?pid=234

So GF6 cards ARE still being made.

Reply 4494 of 53037, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:

Replace EVERY cap, that's the correct way to deal with these situations. 90% of them are in the affected areas anyways.

+1. That's consistently what I've read and seen done as "proper practice" over the years. Sure I've seen guys only replace the bad ones, but usually they're pulling the board apart every few weeks to replace yet another one, and/or the thing goes up in smoke after not too long (IOW: it's a very jakey solution, and I don't suggest it). Personally I look at it if you're going to take the time to pull it apart, pull it all apart in one go and save yourself the headache down the line. 😀

sliderider wrote:

How can it be an error?

At first I thought this was just a simple misunderstanding (and I remember these discussions a decade ago when desktop DDR2 came out and folks were getting confused about GeForce FX and 6 cards with "DDR2" stamped on them), then I thought you were joking, but at this point the discussion just serves to spread FUD for the sake of arguing on the Internet. You made a mistake (and it happens to the best of us), it's not a big deal; let it die and move on. 😊

Last edited by obobskivich on 2014-07-27, 16:02. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4495 of 53037, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:
How can it be an error? It has a sticker from the factory saying DDR-III right on the card. Did you even look at the picture, or […]
Show full quote
Lukeno94 wrote:

How can it be an error? It has a sticker from the factory saying DDR-III right on the card. Did you even look at the picture, or just ignore it, convinced of your own righteousness?

As for cards being made from old dies, there are still companies selling brand new ATi Rage cards. And here's a link to Jatons site where they still sell a GF6200 card.

http://www.jaton.com/VGA/graphics_card_detail.php?pid=234

So GF6 cards ARE still being made.

Did I look at the picture? Yes, and it doesn't mean anything. Newer cards have been mislabelled between the two things as well. Ditto DDR2/GDDR2. Also, cards being for sale new doesn't mean they're still being made. There's plenty of leftover stock out there, particularly when it comes to GeForce 6200 cards. People find things like IBM PS/2s NITB even now, so...

Reply 4496 of 53037, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Umm.. did you guys completely skip over my response?

Kahenraz wrote:
GDDR is not the same as DDR; it has enhancements which are targeted at graphic hardware applications, hence the "G". The spec wa […]
Show full quote

GDDR is not the same as DDR; it has enhancements which are targeted at graphic hardware applications, hence the "G". The spec was designed by ATI Technologies with the collaboration of JEDEC and was first used on the GeForce FX 5700 Ultra in 2004.

Do your research, kids.

See here:

Reply 4497 of 53037, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kahenraz wrote:

Umm.. did you guys completely skip over my response?

Kahenraz wrote:
GDDR is not the same as DDR; it has enhancements which are targeted at graphic hardware applications, hence the "G". The spec wa […]
Show full quote

Do your research, kids.

See here:

I didn't, no, and I alluded to it by writing "People already *have* explained it," in my comment. 😀

Reply 4498 of 53037, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Seeing how crazy the retro market has gotten for Glide I bit the bullet and eBay'ed a relatively inexpensive 3dfx Voodoo 3-3000 for my little Glide collection. It's unboxed and looks clean, but I won't know for sure until it arrives. It'll join the company of a Diamond Monster 3D/P-233, V2-SLI /P3-933, and a V5/P3-1400 Tualatin. An additional V5 is held in reserve.

I skipped the Voodoo 3 and 4 series back in the day, jumping directly from V2 to V5, and look forward to seeing what the V3-3000 has to offer in the way of IQ and performance on a mid-range Pentium system.

Though I have all my retro needs currently satisfied I just got the itch again to start a new build. I have all the spare parts needed except a decent lower watt PSU which I'll probably have to source. I'm leaning towards a W98se/C-300A@450/Vibra16S+Adwave32/Voodoo3 based rig, though I plan to experiment with some 16mb Riva TNT and TNT2 cards I haven't fired up since the 90's.. I was never a big fan of them, now's the chance to prove myself wrong.

Reply 4499 of 53037, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just bought this. Guy had it up for $49.95 or best offer. I offered $30, he took it so $40 with shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191263376441?ssPageNa … 984.m1439.l2649

My first external module. Now I just have to wait for it to arrive.

Halcyon: PC Chips M525, P100, 64MB, Millenium 1, Voodoo1, AWE64, DVD, Win95B