Reply 45000 of 52691, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-06-06, 00:56:
PcBytes wrote on 2022-06-05, 21:02:
cyclone3d wrote on 2022-06-05, 20:49:

I have a couple of the 3.2Ghz Gallatin 478 EE CPUs. Got them a few years ago from the same seller who obviously didn't know what they were.

For the most part, the EE CPUs are just slightly higher clocked than the model right below it as far as the Pentium 4 CPUs go. There isn't really any reason to hunt for them as the bus speed can be overclocked and once you get the bus speed up high enough, you are going to need to lower the multiplier on the CPU anyway so even if a CPU has an unlocked multiplier it is pointless anyway.

Just as a curiosity, are Gallatin anywhere cooler than a Prescott? Or worse?

About much the same, they have lower clocks due to the bigger process node and worse power management, if they were clocked as high as the Presshot version @ 3.7ghz the Gallatin's would require some serious cooling, well beyond what the Presshot version does. (Gallatins also have higher core voltages which doesnt help when overclocking)

I wish there had been a Cedar Mill EE but being the last revision of Netburst they never made one and stopped at 3.6ghz but CM can run with a much higher FSB than 800 and due to the much lower core temps and voltages can clock to 4ghz without destroying the motherboard VRM and dont require stupid cooling solutions.

In a way Cedar Mill is a die-shrunk Prescott EE, it also came with 2M cache, same as Prescott EE (ordinary Prescott came with 1M).
Except for boards supporting Prescott EE but not Cedar Mill, I can't really see someone wanting to use the Prescott EE, it seems like a real furnace (lol FE aka Furnace Edition xD 😋 ).

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 45001 of 52691, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote on 2022-06-06, 10:00:

About much the same, they have lower clocks due to the bigger process node and worse power management, if they were clocked as high as the Presshot version @ 3.7ghz the Gallatin's would require some serious cooling, well beyond what the Presshot version does. (Gallatins also have higher core voltages which doesnt help when overclocking)

I wish there had been a Cedar Mill EE but being the last revision of Netburst they never made one and stopped at 3.6ghz but CM can run with a much higher FSB than 800 and due to the much lower core temps and voltages can clock to 4ghz without destroying the motherboard VRM and dont require stupid cooling solutions.

In a way Cedar Mill is a die-shrunk Prescott EE, it also came with 2M cache, same as Prescott EE (ordinary Prescott came with 1M).
Except for boards supporting Prescott EE but not Cedar Mill, I can't really see someone wanting to use the Prescott EE, it seems like a real furnace (lol FE aka Furnace Edition xD 😋 ).

I have a bit of a soft spot for Presshot, I mean sure it’s a space heater and you can fry Chips with it but it does have a certain VRM killing charm.

It’s like the FX9590 in a way I wouldn’t use it 24/7 but for shits and giggles it would be a fun system.

Throw Fermi into it and you really do have a convenient room heater!!

Reply 45002 of 52691, by pixel_workbench

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BetaC wrote on 2022-06-05, 06:57:

I do think there's some merit to thinking that the situation won't be fully the same in 20 years, though. While there will be nostalgia for a lot of stuff, I can't help but think that Pentium 4 related stuff specifically will probably stay relatively low price. A lot of people remember a dell hunk of junk when they see the P4 logo. It probably won't have the positive memories that a lot of people have for stuff that's just as old, like the iPod. Hell, unmodded N64s are becoming ridiculous in some places.

You'd be surprised but some people also collect hardware that was a notorious failure or full of quirks and bad design decisions. For example, see AMD FX8150 or Radeon 2900xt. The ebay prices on those are not cheap either. Those P4 Dells may also be collectible to some people, especially if they have the infamous Rambus memory, or the craptastic PC133 memory.

Heck, I even have a Dell P4 with the crappy PC133 memory since back then, and decided to keep it as a "troll retro PC non-build"

My Videos | Website
P2 400 unlocked / Asus P3B-F / Voodoo3 3k / MX300 + YMF718

Reply 45003 of 52691, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got this, not tested yet.

Edit: it works. Thorough tests will follow in a few months 😀

Attachments

Last edited by Nexxen on 2022-06-06, 16:47. Edited 1 time in total.

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 45004 of 52691, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-06-06, 14:07:
I have a bit of a soft spot for Presshot, I mean sure it’s a space heater and you can fry Chips with it but it does have a certa […]
Show full quote

I have a bit of a soft spot for Presshot, I mean sure it’s a space heater and you can fry Chips with it but it does have a certain VRM killing charm.

It’s like the FX9590 in a way I wouldn’t use it 24/7 but for shits and giggles it would be a fun system.

You're the proof!
You're the absolute undeniable proof that every bit of hardware has its own fans 😋
And yes I've seen plenty of bulged up capacitors near the CPU socket only on LGA775 boards whenever a Preshott has been involved 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 45005 of 52691, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote on 2022-06-06, 15:38:
You're the proof! You're the absolute undeniable proof that every bit of hardware has its own fans 😋 And yes I've seen plenty of […]
Show full quote
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-06-06, 14:07:
I have a bit of a soft spot for Presshot, I mean sure it’s a space heater and you can fry Chips with it but it does have a certa […]
Show full quote

You're the proof!
You're the absolute undeniable proof that every bit of hardware has its own fans 😋
And yes I've seen plenty of bulged up capacitors near the CPU socket only on LGA775 boards whenever a Preshott has been involved 😜

I think I’m more a fan of LGA 775/771 than a fan of Presshot 🤣, I just think that in context when compared to AMD CPUs of the time it wasn’t a horrible cpu.

AMD had worse cpu blunders.

Reply 45006 of 52691, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Miphee wrote on 2022-06-05, 21:29:

For the most part, the EE CPUs are just slightly higher clocked than the model right below it as far as the Pentium 4 CPUs go. There isn't really any reason to hunt for them...

There is one: to complete a collection and that's as good a reason as any. I know this site is divided between collectors and builders but the shared love for retro hardware is the same.

I am more of a builder, but I do grabbed boxes items when they show up for cheap-ish.

One of those Gallatin I have is installed in a PIAGP setup.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 45007 of 52691, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have a couple of the 3.2Ghz Gallatin 478 EE CPUs. Got them a few years ago from the same seller who obviously didn't know what they were.

For the most part, the EE CPUs are just slightly higher clocked than the model right below it as far as the Pentium 4 CPUs go. There isn't really any reason to hunt for them as the bus speed can be overclocked and once you get the bus speed up high enough, you are going to need to lower the multiplier on the CPU anyway so even if a CPU has an unlocked multiplier it is pointless anyway.

Ehh, I've not noticed the Gallatin I have installed running hot. It is in a PIAGP SBC and just has a low profile copper cooler on it.

I have noticed across multiple builds that using newer power supplies that have much better voltage regulation seem to make old hardware that I remember running hot run a whole lot cooler.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 45008 of 52691, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote on 2022-06-06, 17:43:

Ehh, I've not noticed the Gallatin I have installed running hot. It is in a PIAGP SBC and just has a low profile copper cooler on it.

I have noticed across multiple builds that using newer power supplies that have much better voltage regulation seem to make old hardware that I remember running hot run a whole lot cooler.

They are much of the same at stock clocks, Presshot got hot from the higher clocks Intel was pushing, not sure Gallatin would be running cool at similar clocks.

Reply 45009 of 52691, by NostalgicAslinger

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Meatball wrote on 2022-06-02, 21:11:
Kahenraz wrote on 2022-06-02, 20:43:
Meatball wrote on 2022-06-02, 19:57:

I've acquired a Voodoo3 1000. I can't believe these things were sold with no heatsinks.

I think I saw the same listing some time ago. I assumed that the heatsink had been removed. Can you confirm that it never had one?

It does not appear a heatsink was ever applied; nor have I ever seen a Voodoo3 1000 with a heatsink attached from the factory (which doesn't mean they don't exist, of course, it just means I haven't seen one).

Here are the Vcc Values of all Voodoo3 variants, higher Vcc = better overclocking and higher temperatures:

Voodoo 3 1000: 125 MHz, 2.20V Vcc
Voodoo 3 2000: 143 MHz, 2.55V Vcc
Voodoo 3 3000: 166 MHz, 2.69V Vcc
Voodoo 3 3500 183MHz, 2.76V Vcc

That`s why the 1000 version has no heatsink, but still gets very, very hot. A 3500 would be burn after a few seconds without any heatsink! I think you cannot reach 3500 levels, also with the 5,5 ns SGRAM modules, because the Vcc is to low to reach this frequency. 157 Mhz overclock is good for a 1000. I dont know, if 3dfx also has selected the bader/lower yield rate Avenger cores for the 1000 version.

Attachments

• Voodoo3 VCores.png
    Filename
    Voodoo3 VCores.png
    File size
    85.79 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 45010 of 52691, by SteveC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Thermalwrong wrote on 2022-06-03, 02:45:

Ah, thank you Mr Gold Recycler, I hope those precious gold fingers and gold plated jumper pins bring you all the riches you desire

Erm look what I found - I can't believe this is actually a thing!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/195111785750?hash= … VEAAOSwPtlinPDb

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/StevesTechShed
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SteveTechShed

Reply 45011 of 52691, by Eep386

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I used to favor (and still do) the Voodoo3 1000's over the rest of the line as they ran a good deal cooler (I'd still put a heatsink on 'em) and also usually came with SGRAM memory, whereas the higher-ranked cards usually came with SDRAM.

'Course now, the only 3dfx hardware I have left after a few cases of falling on financial hard times is a Buffalo PCI Banshee. 🙁 At least it's better than no 3dfx.

Life isn't long enough to re-enable every hidden option in every BIOS on every board... 🙁

Reply 45012 of 52691, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SteveC wrote on 2022-06-06, 18:08:

Ah, thank you Mr Gold Recycler, I hope those precious gold fingers and gold plated jumper pins bring you all the riches you desire

At least the pic of that looks like those edge connectors were taken form non-PC equipment.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 45013 of 52691, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cyclone3d wrote on 2022-05-28, 20:24:

Was looking at Apple computers for some reason and came across a 7300/200 that included an OrangePC board for way less than the OrangePC boards go for by themselves.

The video on the Apple has issues but hopefully that can be fixed. At the very least, I can either replace the motherboard or scrap the Apple and get a working PCI based Apple to use the OrangePC board in.

Will also need to get the pinout for the breakout cable for that OrangePC.

Just as a follow-up to this, I ended up doing some more research and ended up ordering a couple Quicksilver's and a mirror drive PowerMac. The mirror drive should be the newest system that will work with the OrangePC cards since it is the last that can run OS9.

The 933Mhz QuckSilver has already arrived and had 2x HDDs, 1.5GB RAM and Adobe CS4 as well as some other software and files last updated in 2016 that look like this computer came from somebody that made a webpage for a winery.

The 7300/200 has not arrived yet.

I've ordered some more goodies to test out on these systems. Will create a separate thread when everything arrives and I have a chance to set stuff up.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 45014 of 52691, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote on 2022-06-06, 17:40:

I am more of a builder, but I do grabbed boxes items when they show up for cheap-ish.

One of those Gallatin I have is installed in a PIAGP setup.

Same here. I grab whatever I can from recycling piles and pray that it's something exciting and not another C 336.

Reply 45015 of 52691, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SteveC wrote on 2022-06-06, 18:08:

Cool information, thanks! I don't think I could get to 3500 levels, but I'm going to try! I'd like to get at least 170MHz. We'll see.

Reply 45016 of 52691, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I never thought I would be able to get a hold of an AGP or boxed version of a Verite, so I broke down and bought a loose (with CD) one (I already posted about this earlier, but it's back for a group shot). Of course, a few days later an AGP version (8MB V2200) showed up. Then a few weeks later a boxed one (another V2100 4MB) popped up. Lucky!

Attachments

Reply 45018 of 52691, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Artex wrote on 2022-06-07, 00:48:
SS7 Twinsies https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1024x768q90/922/d5LhUA.jpghttps://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1024x768q90/923/WF6 […]
Show full quote

SS7 Twinsies
d5LhUA.jpgWF6EZo.jpg

Cool!

The ASUS P5A is the board I overclocked a K6-2 550 to 660Mhz back when that CPU was current.

When I got into retro computers, it was one of the boards I wanted to aquire again.

I ended up with a few dead P5A and multiple P5A-B motherboards.

Finally got a working P5A but haven't had th chance to build a machine with it.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 45019 of 52691, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Artex wrote on 2022-06-07, 00:48:
SS7 Twinsies https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1024x768q90/922/d5LhUA.jpghttps://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1024x768q90/923/WF6 […]
Show full quote

SS7 Twinsies
d5LhUA.jpgWF6EZo.jpg

set them up exactly the same and race them! 😀

actually any small differences will then be a source of curiosity