Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 46140 of 52700, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dormcat wrote on 2022-08-30, 10:07:
Unfortunately that's the only one with minor defects: some color artifact pixels appear across the screen, and all three ports ( […]
Show full quote
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2022-08-28, 09:54:

Nice score! I've Always liked the look of the twin frozr cooler.

Unfortunately that's the only one with minor defects: some color artifact pixels appear across the screen, and all three ports (two DVI and one mini-HDMI) have the same problem, pointing the issue to VRAM. The other two cards are fine.

stef80 wrote on 2022-08-28, 10:37:

@dormcat
Nice Elsa, I really hope it works. I have soft spot for them.

I haven't performed a thorough test but it looks fine to me.

That's really disappointing. Are you going to try reflowing the Vram chips?

Reply 46141 of 52700, by eesz34

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SteveC wrote on 2022-08-30, 12:59:

Just won something a bit different for me (seller's photo)

s-l1600 (2).jpg

A complete Apple Macintosh LC that is dead... be a fun little project!

Buying computers that are dead is a great way to get a deal. Many won't touch it, and good chance it's not a major repair.

I bought an old Prolinea that was completely original for very little, and all that was wrong was a shorted tantalum.

Reply 46142 of 52700, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
eesz34 wrote on 2022-08-30, 14:48:

s-l1600 (2).jpg

Buying computers that are dead is a great way to get a deal. Many won't touch it, and good chance it's not a major repair.

I bought an old Prolinea that was completely original for very little, and all that was wrong was a shorted tantalum.

Yep, sometimes you get lucky. I bought a "non-working" 1980s electronic handheld game with original box for peanuts. Opened it up and found one small flake of solder shorting two legs of an IC. Blew it off and it came back to life. I also read about a guy who bought a "non-working" Vectrex console for cheap (working units are expensive) and all he did was reseat the roms and it came back to life.

Reply 46143 of 52700, by RaiderOfLostVoodoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-08-25, 09:16:

Its Rev 2 which does have 333FSB, got a sticker on the chipset which you can just see that says as much 😁 not that you can see clearly due to the low quality photo but checking pics of other rev 2.01 boards and they all have the same sticker for 333FSB.

Nexxen wrote on 2022-08-25, 08:46:

If it is a later version it supports FSB333 only when specified, 266 was the main fsb model.

This is actually a KT400 which got downclocked. The infamous KT333CF.
Real KT333 boards (CD or CE) have an universal AGP slots.
This makes the board kinda useless imho. Can't even slap a Voodoo on it. And for GeForce cards I can get something much faster.

I remember other models that just upgraded the southbridge. Was wild back then.

Yeah, there are around a dozen mainboards with a real KT333 northbridge (and therefore universal AGP) + KT400 southbridge (USB2, UDMA133...).
But none of these are from Asus or Gigabyte.
MSI had one board with these chips (KT3 Ultra) in 3 different variants (normal, RAID, RAID+Bluetooth).

Nexxen wrote on 2022-08-25, 09:23:

3200+ costs a lot even today.

The 400MHz one (AXDA3200DKV4E) is pretty common and can be bought for around 20 bucks from time to time.
The 333MHz one (AXDA3200DKV4D) is super rare. It was never sold individually. Only came inside a specific OEM machine (HP I think).

Reply 46144 of 52700, by LewisRaz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

s-l1600 (2).jpg

Had an eye on that as its very local. Glad its gone to someone likeminded! I have no idea about apple stuff but it could be an interesting project.

My retro pc youtube channel
Twitter

Reply 46145 of 52700, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
eesz34 wrote on 2022-08-30, 14:48:

s-l1600 (2).jpg

Well, 68K macs tend to have battery explosions so unless you can see under the cover you are taking a gamble.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 46146 of 52700, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Unknown_K wrote on 2022-08-30, 20:05:

Well, 68K macs tend to have battery explosions so unless you can see under the cover you are taking a gamble.

If it's not that, then it's most likely leaking caps on the PSU, which is very common with the entire LC lineup.

Reply 46147 of 52700, by SteveC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
LewisRaz wrote on 2022-08-30, 19:47:

s-l1600 (2).jpg

Had an eye on that as its very local. Glad its gone to someone likeminded! I have no idea about apple stuff but it could be an interesting project.

Yeah I'm not far away! I have no idea either on Apple stuff, especially that age! Proper gamble as no pictures of the internals, but for £30 if either the base unit or the screen work then it's worth it, but hopefully it's fixable as I've never used an Apple of this vintage 😀

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/StevesTechShed
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SteveTechShed

Reply 46148 of 52700, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

One of the last pieces for my upcoming 286 rebuild. It's Conner CP3000 84MB. I had 42MB back then but can't find one in good condition for the right price. So this one will have to do 🤣

Sellers photo:
SPSm20y.jpg

Now I just need some time to actually rebuild my first 286 as it was. I already have all the rest components and even the case 😀

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 46149 of 52700, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RaiderOfLostVoodoo wrote on 2022-08-30, 17:35:
This is actually a KT400 which got downclocked. The infamous KT333CF. Real KT333 boards (CD or CE) have an universal AGP slots. […]
Show full quote

Its Rev 2 which does have 333FSB, got a sticker on the chipset which you can just see that says as much 😁 not that you can see clearly due to the low quality photo but checking pics of other rev 2.01 boards and they all have the same sticker for 333FSB.

Nexxen wrote on 2022-08-25, 08:46:

If it is a later version it supports FSB333 only when specified, 266 was the main fsb model.

This is actually a KT400 which got downclocked. The infamous KT333CF.
Real KT333 boards (CD or CE) have an universal AGP slots.
This makes the board kinda useless imho. Can't even slap a Voodoo on it. And for GeForce cards I can get something much faster.

I remember other models that just upgraded the southbridge. Was wild back then.

Yeah, there are around a dozen mainboards with a real KT333 northbridge (and therefore universal AGP) + KT400 southbridge (USB2, UDMA133...).
But none of these are from Asus or Gigabyte.
MSI had one board with these chips (KT3 Ultra) in 3 different variants (normal, RAID, RAID+Bluetooth).

Nexxen wrote on 2022-08-25, 09:23:

3200+ costs a lot even today.

The 400MHz one (AXDA3200DKV4E) is pretty common and can be bought for around 20 bucks from time to time.
The 333MHz one (AXDA3200DKV4D) is super rare. It was never sold individually. Only came inside a specific OEM machine (HP I think).

Its all good, the board is dead till I can be bothered repairing it and its been replaced by a Abit NF7-S with a unlocked XP3200+ Barton (One of the rare ones with the pads still in place, later ones had them removed, now I just need to look up the pencil mod for it)

Don't really need Uni AGP with this type of board either as any AGP card going into it will be 8x and anything not 8x will be slower than what this CPU deserves, though I can see Uni being useful for a KT400 board with a XP2400+ in it.

Once I do repair it and test it, I might just give it away to someone who wants it and can use it or flog it off on the bay.

Reply 46150 of 52700, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kixs wrote on 2022-08-30, 21:55:

One of the last pieces for my upcoming 286 rebuild. It's Conner CP3000 84MB. I had 42MB back then but can't find one in good condition for the right price. So this one will have to do 🤣

I recently got a 42MB one for free from an old 386 I salvaged. My plan was to use it in an XT clone build, with an XT-IDE card since I don't have any MFM drives. It worked perfectly and seemed to have been very lightly used... until I accidentally dropped it while cleaning my desk 🤦. Your post just reminded me of my stupidity 😞

Reply 46151 of 52700, by RaiderOfLostVoodoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-08-30, 22:02:

Its all good, the board is dead till I can be bothered repairing it and its been replaced by a Abit NF7-S with a unlocked XP3200+ Barton (One of the rare ones with the pads still in place, later ones had them removed, now I just need to look up the pencil mod for it)

Pencil mod does not work on Bartons and is also not necessary.
They either come locked and can't be unlocked or they come unlocked.
You'll need one with production date 0339 or earlier. It's written on the black label. Second row.

Don't really need Uni AGP with this type of board either as any AGP card going into it will be 8x and anything not 8x will be slower than what this CPU deserves, though I can see Uni being useful for a KT400 board with a XP2400+ in it.

There are no KT400 boards with universal AGP. KT333CE is the last chipset for AMD CPUs which can run AGP 3.3V cards.
In theory a Pentium 4 would be even faster, but it's well known that their cooling is problematic and you would have to stick to a shitty chipset. So KT333CE is usually seen as the better choice when it comes to maxing out a platform for Voodoo5 5500/6000.
I've been looking for an EPoX 8K5A3+ (which is seen as the holy grail for V5) for a year now. Haven't seen a single one yet. 🙁 Neither overpriced nor broken. So I have to stick to my MSI KT3 Ultra2 for now.

Reply 46152 of 52700, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RaiderOfLostVoodoo wrote on 2022-08-31, 01:34:

You'll need one with production date 0339 or earlier. It's written on the black label. Second row.

Like this one? Did I win???!!!

I got it as a surprise in a recent motherboard pickup.

Attachments

Reply 46153 of 52700, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RaiderOfLostVoodoo wrote on 2022-08-31, 01:34:
Pencil mod does not work on Bartons and is also not necessary. They either come locked and can't be unlocked or they come unlock […]
Show full quote

There are no KT400 boards with universal AGP. KT333CE is the last chipset for AMD CPUs which can run AGP 3.3V cards.
In theory a Pentium 4 would be even faster, but it's well known that their cooling is problematic and you would have to stick to a shitty chipset. So KT333CE is usually seen as the better choice when it comes to maxing out a platform for Voodoo5 5500/6000.
I've been looking for an EPoX 8K5A3+ (which is seen as the holy grail for V5) for a year now. Haven't seen a single one yet. 🙁 Neither overpriced nor broken. So I have to stick to my MSI KT3 Ultra2 for now.

This is the XP3200+ CPU I have.
Week 0319 production date, AQXDA Stepping, 400 FSB model.

Got a bunch of extra pads on the substrate not present on later models, im guessing that was how they locked these CPUs ?

Im curious what the pads do exactly.

Reply 46154 of 52700, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-08-31, 02:32:

I always assumed they are to prevent damage to the crystal from the cooler.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 46155 of 52700, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RandomStranger wrote on 2022-08-31, 05:16:
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-08-31, 02:32:

I always assumed they are to prevent damage to the crystal from the cooler.

/facepalm - I should really try to be more specific, sorry about that.

Meatball posted a pic .. youll notice the little numbered blocks of contact pads on the substrate .. not the soft felt pads 🤣

I understand that we do get some uhh people here of questionable intellect but I dont think I fall into that category just yet... dementia hasn't quite got me so I think I figured out what the felt pads were just by looking at the CPU 😁.
The numbered blocks of tiny contact pads I guess possibly served as a way to test CPU functions, I know earlier on models you could use a pencil to bridge them to unlock multipliers.

Its why I was under the impression Barton needed the same trick.

Last edited by TrashPanda on 2022-08-31, 06:04. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 46156 of 52700, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Making this bit its own post, big junk lot of CPUs, Ram, circuit boards and HDDs arrived to day and for the most part I knew exactly what was in there but while rummaging through the ram I came across a still sealed antistatic baggie.

Well I'm not sure if the seller intended to throw it in there but I'm now the owner of a little Arduino development board, its one of the Uno R3 models and its got the socket able CPU in it, this little board is worth as much as the entire lot was. I guess I now need to figure out what to do with the little thing.

Also scored some 1gig DDR400 sticks in the lot with mirror polished copper coolers on them, things weigh quite a bit and from benchmarks online they can be run at DDR600 speed with slightly looser timings or DDR500 with 2-3-2 timings and slightly higher voltage. There was about 20 sticks of other ram in there and I saved what I could from the sticks that were not damaged but a lot of them were missing SMD components so off they will go to the local e-waste recycler.

Only one other item in the lot worth mentioning was a very sad little XP2200+ CPU, its pins got all mashed up but none of them are missing so perhaps it can be saved with a little mechanical pencil magic.

Reply 46157 of 52700, by Ligend

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Meatball wrote on 2022-08-29, 00:15:
Ligend wrote on 2022-08-28, 20:12:

I recently added these two cards to my collection. I've always been a fan of PowerVR based video cards, and it's very rare to find them with a good condition and original cooling at a good price.

Hercules_3D_Prophet_4000XT.jpg

Wow, they look like new!

Some of the capacitors should be replaced, and the cooler of the non-TV-out variant is a bit noisy, but otherwise, they are in good condition. I think it was a good deal for ~33 EUR (in local currency) for both, including shipping.

Reply 46158 of 52700, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@TrashPanda
Ah yes, my mistake. It seems you are right about those contacts. Though it's not very well documented what each of those do.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 46159 of 52700, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I would only use mobile version of Athon XP. Any multi and much more headroom for overclocking. I used to run one on Abit NF7-S2 at 2500MHz and FSB around 220MHz.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs