VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 46801 of 52362, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

At last! I got a Toshiba Satellite 400CDT!! After going to all the trouble of making a fake 400CDT, I got a real one: Upgrading a Toshiba laptop from DSTN to TFT panel - The Satellite 400CS becomes a 400CDT

ToshibaTime.JPG
Filename
ToshibaTime.JPG
File size
263.94 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Along with a Toshiba Satellite 300CDT - nice because it has a bright 800x600 TFT, Yamaha OPL3-SAx sound, along with built in CD-rom and floppy drive - a direct drive one that doesn't have a belt to fail. So it's a real all-in-one retro PC. This came to me without any caddy, so why not make a failing into a feature? - now it has easy access Compact Flash storage 😁

IMG_3283 (Custom) (1).JPG
Filename
File size
593.55 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

The 400CDT is going to be getting a compact flash upgrade as soon as the adapters get here, I put an 810MB hard drive in it which is where the 98 Plus pack logo comes from. I have quite a few spinning disks that don't get used these days - most drives I really do not enjoy the noise they make.
Both of these were from the same seller, as SEP's (Someone Else's Problem), due to faulty RAM and in the case of the 400CDT, a bad BIOS chip and some other broken bits that caused "KBC ERROR". I'm really glad I fixed this one, since just recently I ended up destroying a similar Toshiba motherboard from flexing it, these old things are fragile.

I've probably got to dial back my purchasing / finding from here, these are two I've wanted for a while, but now there's a T2150CDT up for auction, nooo, my bank account.

Reply 46802 of 52362, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pete8475 wrote on 2022-10-24, 21:42:

I got that beat! My main PC is in an In-Win matx case from October 20 1999. 😁

That CPU cooler almost doesn’t fit the case 😅

Reply 46803 of 52362, by Socket3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got another lot in today. Another beige box. Unfortunately someone got to it before me so the hard disk and sound card are missing, but I had a little surprise inside. I knew it was a slot 1 machine witch I like fine but I'm not a huge fan of, but had no idea exactly what was inside when I placed the order, I just really really liked the case.

yfZ2yt0l.jpg wGIiBUTl.jpg

Looks like a very early ATX case. The whole cover slides off like on AT cases, and the power switch looks like a modified AT unit.

W1g5GTwl.jpg

And inside there's another Abit BE6-II + another 333Mhz pentium II - a very common combo back in the day. The video card I found in it is a Rage LT.

QXsOXkwl.jpg

Slightly unrelated, I made a bit of time to test the AT "Sprint" 266Mhz pentium II and found a few oddities. For one the CPU was set at 300Mhz. I tought it was upgraded,so I looked inside the PC and the CPU case sais 266MHz. Seems perfectly stable, but I tought all pentium II CPUs had a locked multiplier... odd. It also works fine - booted right up into windows 95.

oZzV7eWl.jpg

I got lucky on this PC too - I bought it for the AT case and the 3.2GB HDD mentioned on the label, and not only does the 3.2GB Fujistu drive work great (no bad blocks either, ran scandisk twice) but it came with a second, 6GB western digital caviar!

kNf6H0wl.jpg

Makes up for the other pentium II missing it's hard drive 😀

Reply 46804 of 52362, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Welp, great to see another BE6-II! Does look like it's in need of a recap (as a small parenthesis here, mine got recapped soon after I had got it).

As for that power switch - I remember using something similar to adapt an AT unit to ATX - as in, AT case, ATX PSU, and the switch was something similar to yours - I suppose it is a momentary switch in your case as well?

For the AT 266MHz PII unit - BX, LX, or ALi Aladdin Pro II? Any of these seem to be pretty stable, at least the LX and ALi implementations I have on my two mobos. (Zida 6DLX and PCChips/Elpina M726MRT)

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 46805 of 52362, by HanSolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Thermalwrong wrote on 2022-10-25, 01:34:

At last! I got a Toshiba Satellite 400CDT!! After going to all the trouble of making a fake 400CDT, I got a real one:

Nice! 😀 It looks so tiny with the large bezels but the case is the same size as the ones with 12.1", right?

I got offered a Satellite 4000CDT with Pentium 2-233. Even though I already have a 320CDT (with Pentium MMX 233) I simply had to buy it.
This one uses SD-RAMs which are a lot easier to get than the EDO in the older one.
The specs say it supports up to 128MB modules, but I'm wondering if it would also work with 256MB? Or even 512MB? I assume when they wrote the specs, 256MB modules simply didn't exist. Any thoughts on this? Anyone?

BTW. is it only me or did all drivers for the old Satellites disappear from the DynaBook-website? Two days ago I downloaded Win2K-drivers for the 4000CDT and now it says 'No drivers available'

Attachments

Reply 46806 of 52362, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Socket3 wrote on 2022-10-25, 14:39:

Slightly unrelated, I made a bit of time to test the AT "Sprint" 266Mhz pentium II and found a few oddities. For one the CPU was set at 300Mhz. I tought it was upgraded,so I looked inside the PC and the CPU case sais 266MHz. Seems perfectly stable, but I tought all pentium II CPUs had a locked multiplier... odd. It also works fine - booted right up into windows 95.

Have you checked the FSB? I ran my Pentium II 266MHz at 300MHz for about 7 years, back in the day, by setting the FSB to 75MHz.

Reply 46807 of 52362, by RetroGamer4Ever

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just picked up a Windows 95/98/2000 Thrustmaster Gamepad, with USB. Mint-condition, in-box, at a local Goodwill. They also had two Memorex PS/2 (3-button) mice, but I didn't get those, cause I don't need or want them.

Reply 46808 of 52362, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
At last! I got a Toshiba Satellite 400CDT!! After going to all the trouble of making a fake 400CDT, I got a real one: Upgrading […]
Show full quote

At last! I got a Toshiba Satellite 400CDT!! After going to all the trouble of making a fake 400CDT, I got a real one: Upgrading a Toshiba laptop from DSTN to TFT panel - The Satellite 400CS becomes a 400CDT
ToshibaTime.JPG

Along with a Toshiba Satellite 300CDT - nice because it has a bright 800x600 TFT, Yamaha OPL3-SAx sound, along with built in CD-rom and floppy drive - a direct drive one that doesn't have a belt to fail. So it's a real all-in-one retro PC. This came to me without any caddy, so why not make a failing into a feature? - now it has easy access Compact Flash storage 😁
The 400CDT is going to be getting a compact flash upgrade as soon as the adapters get here, I put an 810MB hard drive in it which is where the 98 Plus pack logo comes from. I have quite a few spinning disks that don't get used these days - most drives I really do not enjoy the noise they make.
Both of these were from the same seller, as SEP's (Someone Else's Problem), due to faulty RAM and in the case of the 400CDT, a bad BIOS chip and some other broken bits that caused "KBC ERROR". I'm really glad I fixed this one, since just recently I ended up destroying a similar Toshiba motherboard from flexing it, these old things are fragile.

I've probably got to dial back my purchasing / finding from here, these are two I've wanted for a while, but now there's a T2150CDT up for auction, nooo, my bank account.

Gongrats! Nice find. seems to be very clean and in a very good condition. The only downside I can think of is the mono speaker. Otherwise it's a perfect DOS gaming machine.
I have one of these, bt mine doesn't work 🙁

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart
archive.org: PCMCIA software, manuals, drivers

Reply 46809 of 52362, by Socket3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
devius wrote on 2022-10-25, 17:34:
Socket3 wrote on 2022-10-25, 14:39:

Have you checked the FSB? I ran my Pentium II 266MHz at 300MHz for about 7 years, back in the day, by setting the FSB to 75MHz.

I didn't, should of thought of that. The ZIDA motherboard uses a weird bios I've never seen before - looks a lot like the old AMI bios that 386 and older 486 machines used. It has a "CPU configuration" menu that lets you select a "CPU speed" option and FSB. FSB options are 50, 66, 75 and 83mhz while CPU Speed ranges from "200mhz" to "400mhz". I'll have a look at it tomorrow and check FSB with Everest or Aida32.

PcBytes wrote on 2022-10-25, 16:56:

Welp, great to see another BE6-II! Does look like it's in need of a recap (as a small parenthesis here, mine got recapped soon after I had got it).

Yeah, I noticed the caps on the BE6-II. At least a couple of swollen ones - she's in need of a recap. Haven't tested the board yet.

PcBytes wrote on 2022-10-25, 16:56:

As for that power switch - I remember using something similar to adapt an AT unit to ATX - as in, AT case, ATX PSU, and the switch was something similar to yours - I suppose it is a momentary switch in your case as well?

For the AT 266MHz PII unit - BX, LX, or ALi Aladdin Pro II? Any of these seem to be pretty stable, at least the LX and ALi implementations I have on my two mobos. (Zida 6DLX and PCChips/Elpina M726MRT)

The AT P2 runs a ZIDA EX98 motherboard with an Intel 440LX/EX chipset. Interesting little board. What surprised me is the fact that it has a very comprehensive BIOS with a sort of "soft menu" that lets you set CPU speed (but not voltage) and loads of other settings like detailed memory timings and whatnot. Pretty cool for a budget board. https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/Z/Z … n-EX98-VER.html

Here it is running quake 1 and 2, at 300Mhz, with the Voodoo 3 3000 card I got in the same lot:

g4CybYIl.jpg
ihptVBel.jpg

Reply 46810 of 52362, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HanSolo wrote on 2022-10-25, 17:10:
Nice! :-) It looks so tiny with the large bezels but the case is the same size as the ones with 12.1", right? […]
Show full quote

At last! I got a Toshiba Satellite 400CDT!! After going to all the trouble of making a fake 400CDT, I got a real one:

Nice! 😀 It looks so tiny with the large bezels but the case is the same size as the ones with 12.1", right?

I got offered a Satellite 4000CDT with Pentium 2-233. Even though I already have a 320CDT (with Pentium MMX 233) I simply had to buy it.
This one uses SD-RAMs which are a lot easier to get than the EDO in the older one.
The specs say it supports up to 128MB modules, but I'm wondering if it would also work with 256MB? Or even 512MB? I assume when they wrote the specs, 256MB modules simply didn't exist. Any thoughts on this? Anyone?

BTW. is it only me or did all drivers for the old Satellites disappear from the DynaBook-website? Two days ago I downloaded Win2K-drivers for the 4000CDT and now it says 'No drivers available'

Nice, the 4000CDT is the same design as the 3xx but has an Intel MMC cpu. Given that's most likely a 440LX northbridge, it should handle 256MB low-density modules with 16 chips as the max 😀

Thanks for pointing out that the drivers are falling off of the Dynabook site, I see that they are indeed disappearing:

disappearing Toshiba drivers.png
Filename
File size
64.64 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

I found a big archive for Toshiba drivers from the ftp.toshiba.ca site, which was misconfigured for a long time and could be indexed via HTTP - so thankfully it got archived in the wayback machine: https://web.archive.org/web/*/http://209.167. … port/download/*

Sat4000.png
Filename
Sat4000.png
File size
41.47 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

I downloaded everything from that archive. I don't have a site but this would be ideal for popping back online so that people can use it. It is a shame that Dynabook are now clearing off Toshiba's files.

Bondi: aww, that's a shame. I think the 410CDT / 410CDS motherboard is the same, but you'd need to change the BIOS to get the correct display resolution. IMO it's worth fixing, it really is quite nice for playing DOS games

Last edited by Thermalwrong on 2022-10-25, 21:53. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 46811 of 52362, by HanSolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Thermalwrong wrote on 2022-10-25, 19:23:
Nice, the 4000CDT is the same design as the 3xx but has an Intel MMC cpu. Given that's most likely a 440LX northbridge, it shoul […]
Show full quote
HanSolo wrote on 2022-10-25, 17:10:
Nice! :-) It looks so tiny with the large bezels but the case is the same size as the ones with 12.1", right? […]
Show full quote

Nice, the 4000CDT is the same design as the 3xx but has an Intel MMC cpu. Given that's most likely a 440LX northbridge, it should handle 256MB low-density modules with 16 chips as the max 😀

Thanks for pointing out that the drivers are falling off of the Dynabook site, I see that they are indeed disappearing:
I found a big archive for Toshiba drivers from the ftp.toshiba.ca site, which was misconfigured for a long time and could be indexed via HTTP - so thankfully it got archived in the wayback machine: https://web.archive.org/web/*/http://209.167. … pport/download/*
Sat4000.png
I downloaded everything from that archive. I don't have a site but this would be ideal for popping back online so that people can use it. It is a shame that Dynabook are now clearing off Toshiba's files.

Bondi: aww, that's a shame. I think the 410CDT / 410CDS motherboard is the same, but you'd need to change the BIOS to get the correct display resolution. IMO it's worth fixing, it really is quite nice for playing DOS games

That must be a bug in their CMS-system. You can still find direct links to the specs-sheets and even the drivers are still there.
e.g. Detailed specs for Satellite Pro 400CDT
https://support.dynabook.com/support/staticCo … ontentId=638306

or ACPI Flash BIOS version 8.10 for Satellite 4000/4005/4010/4015/4020/4025
https://support.dynabook.com/support/viewCont … ontentId=107096

I hope it's not intentional.

For which date did you get the results on archive.org? All I find is 'Directory Listing Denied'

About the RAMs: you mean something like this one: Kingston KTH-OB4150/256?
I was tempted to buy this: Toshiba THLY25N01B75 but only because it has 'Toshiba' written on it 😁

Reply 46812 of 52362, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That is odd, I do think that if this information is going from the product category pages, it won't be long until it's gone entirely. My link got mangled, try this one: https://web.archive.org/web/*/http://209.167. … port/download/*
The wayback machine is pretty particular on syntax and it was missing the * at the end. Now you should see around 6000 urls. That's just the support section but it's got the interesting stuff like the .htm files with indexes and the files - ignore anything in the "_vti_cnf" folders, that's some indexing stuff for frontpage I think?

For the RAM, that Toshiba ram won't work with the 4000CDT or it'll read only half capacity because it's high density. The 16-chip ones with 8 chips per side are the low-density ones and they work with the 440BX / 440LX chipset laptops.

Reply 46813 of 52362, by HanSolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Thermalwrong wrote on 2022-10-25, 21:57:

That is odd, I do think that if this information is going from the product category pages, it won't be long until it's gone entirely. My link got mangled, try this one: https://web.archive.org/web/*/http://209.167. … port/download/*
The wayback machine is pretty particular on syntax and it was missing the * at the end. Now you should see around 6000 urls. That's just the support section but it's got the interesting stuff like the .htm files with indexes and the files - ignore anything in the "_vti_cnf" folders, that's some indexing stuff for frontpage I think?

For the RAM, that Toshiba ram won't work with the 4000CDT or it'll read only half capacity because it's high density. The 16-chip ones with 8 chips per side are the low-density ones and they work with the 440BX / 440LX chipset laptops.

Ok, thank you for your advise. I ordered the Kingston-RAM 😀
I'll take a look at the archived-files. It's great that you cared to save all the stuff.

Reply 46814 of 52362, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not as much as bought since it was given to me for free. It's what has awaken the DIY spirit in me, enough to get it running.

It's a Creative Inspire 5.1 5300. I was given this by one of my friends who runs a repair shop, claiming he found it at a dumpster. No wonders - that woofer isn't original to it for a start - it came from a scrapped Altec Lansing VS2221 (which had severe issues with its control port) and doesn't quite fit fully inside.

Left to do is buy and craft myself 3x 3.5mm patch cables for each input, and find some tweeters - my friend said he has a set of Samsung tweeters (from the HT-Z310R, I think? The 310's tweeter look exactly like his, but I figure Sammy could have used those on other stuff as well...) he'd be willing to give to me - they're the clip-on kind, so it's just a matter of cutting up a bunch of RCA cables to get my channels (Front L-R, Rear L-R, Center).

Attachments

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 46815 of 52362, by GuillermoXT

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Got this Tv tuner card
Anyone who knows where to find some Software and Drivers?

TVTuner.jpg
Filename
TVTuner.jpg
File size
112.34 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
TvTuner1.jpg
Filename
TvTuner1.jpg
File size
101.97 KiB
Views
File license
TvTuner2.jpg
Filename
TvTuner2.jpg
File size
115.84 KiB
Views
File license

My Retrosystems:
PIII on GA-6BA running Win98SE
AMD K6 233 on GA-586HX with Win95
Tandon 286-8MHZ Running DOS 6.22 on XTIDE-CF
M326 486DLC + 4c87dlc (Dos+Win3.11)
ECS UM4980 AMD DX2 80 5V (Dos & Win3.11)

Reply 46817 of 52362, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
GuillermoXT wrote on 2022-10-26, 02:16:
Got this Tv tuner card Anyone who knows where to find some Software and Drivers? TVTuner.jpg TvTuner1.jpg TvTuner2.jpg […]
Show full quote

Got this Tv tuner card
Anyone who knows where to find some Software and Drivers?
TVTuner.jpg
TvTuner1.jpg
TvTuner2.jpg

Between FCC ID (J4EM101), and this link -https://tldp.org/HOWTO/html_single/BTTV/ - suggests its an "AVerMedia AVer FunTV Lite (ISA, AV3001 chipset) M101.C"

This is the only download I can find atm (also listed online as averfun.zip)

Filename
d58730.zip
File size
1.09 MiB
Downloads
42 downloads
File license

Reply 46818 of 52362, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kahenraz wrote on 2022-10-26, 03:16:

That's a BNC connector. I wonder what this card was originally used for. Something in a professional environment, I would guess.

No it's not. It's a standard Coaxial connector.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 46819 of 52362, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Technically one of these https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belling-Lee_connector which I guess might sound close to BNC if abbreviated to BLC and slurred.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.