VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 48300 of 52803, by Big Pink

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Little haul today. Running the gamut of PCI GeForces, and a modded K6-2+ I want to try on my CT-5RSA2.

Attachments

• WP_20230303_002a.jpg
    Filename
    WP_20230303_002a.jpg
    File size
    318.98 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Stuff
    File license
    Public domain

I thought IBM was born with the world

Reply 48301 of 52803, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2023-03-03, 08:20:
I would like to talk to some Dell experts to learn where this system fits into their history, because there is absolutely zero i […]
Show full quote

I would like to talk to some Dell experts to learn where this system fits into their history, because there is absolutely zero information about the existence of this machine online aside from the trademark registration in 1993 and one 20 year old post from someone saying they repurposed the chassis of one of these.

It's a Dell Exclaim 486/50 (DX2-50) desktop, with original keyboard, mouse and monitor in original box. As a bonus, someone had upgraded this with a Media Vision multimedia kit, so it has a PAS16, 2x SCSI CDROM and fancy Labtec stereo speakers! So far, everything works, and the CRT is absolutely gorgeous! Perfect blacks, excellent color.
20230302_202829 (Custom).jpg

I found it listed recently and managed to get it for a great price in untested condition. Thankfully, the seller not only packaged it back into the box appropriately (base off of monitor, original packaging in place and double boxed to protect the artwork!!).
20230302_185123 (Custom).jpg

Inside it is incredibly clean and the CMOS battery is, thankfully, external. It had slightly corroded the battery negative battery pin but there appears to be no damage on the top of the board (haven't pulled it yet to check the back). Everything else seems to be working great though! I get a tiny bit of sporadic noise from the power supply so I will probably crack that open and see how things look in there.

To my astonishment, I managed to get the hard drive reading by just setting the drive parameters to auto (not as shown in the picture above... those are the defaults due to the lack of battery) and rebooting the PC. It has DOS, Windows 3.1 and an interesting startup program called Dell Library Menu.
20230302_204141 (Custom).jpg

Also, there are hand-written labels on the pull tabs on all of the drive ribbon cables... but not on the CD-ROM cable which was added later. Surely, the writing didn't come from Dell, did it? 🤣
20230302_191328 (Custom).jpg

Anyway, I plan on making a thread about this but I had to post something now. I'm super excited to get it 100% cleaned up and to get all the kinks worked out.
From my reading online, non-business-oriented Dell PCs were barely a thing in 1993, which is when this was manufactured. It's very well built too. The back of the chassis is painted and looks very "premium", except for the fact that the keyboard "hole" is obviously DIN\AT sized but has a PS/2 port in the middle of it... which tells me this case wasn't tooled exactly for this machine.

Nice, just a point to note about Dells earlier history.. they were a system assembly clone shop at first, and for a couple of years, then branching into ordering machines built of commodity parts to rebadge from Asian and other manufacturers and then finally building up the financial muscle to custom order and custom manufacture. (Also much the same progression from Gateway, Packard Bell etc) This one is of an age that was either assembled at Dell USA from commodity parts, or built in Asia from mainly commodity parts at Dell's behest.

There's something of a 1987 to 1997 memory hole, practically everything went into magazines and periodicals 1987 and earlier, you at least made sure you got a 1/4 page ad and prodded for a "newsette" if you had a new product... but the whole business was exploding, so what was happening was there became too much going on to cover comprehensively, and at the same time preliminary "online" things were happening, in the form of manufacturers own BBS, mailing lists by email, AOL and Compuserve sections (and the also rans like Prodigy etc) Compuserve deserves a special mention for sucking.... up all kinds of tech info in it's conferences... then *poof* it's gone. By 1997 these proprietary online presences were recognised as being "over" in comparison with the non-proprietary WWW and more concentration on WWW happened. But, all that stuff from BBSes and special presences on AOL/Compuserve etc was not moved over in significant ways. The non proprietary info on usenet newsgroups has got archived in hard to access manners, try narkive and google groups but it's painful.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 48302 of 52803, by mrfusion92

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A Gigabyte GA-7ZX rev 1.01 with a Duron 750 Mhz and some sdram.

It was very cheap. I wanted a motherboard just for testing cards and whatnot.
This has an universal AGP, plenty of PCI and an ISA slot. So it should be perfect.

20230303_125233.jpg
Filename
20230303_125233.jpg
File size
1.85 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 48303 of 52803, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I hope it does good for you... my opinion of Gigabyte's AGP expertise is, to start with a tote full of various AGP cards, and whichever one of several hundred actually run without quirks or errors through all tests, glue it into the AGP slot, so you don't have to go through that crap again.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 48304 of 52803, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BitWrangler wrote on 2023-03-03, 15:38:
I would like to talk to some Dell experts to learn where this system fits into their history, because there is absolutely zero i […]
Show full quote

I would like to talk to some Dell experts to learn where this system fits into their history, because there is absolutely zero information about the existence of this machine online aside from the trademark registration in 1993 and one 20 year old post from someone saying they repurposed the chassis of one of these.

It's a Dell Exclaim 486/50 (DX2-50) desktop, with original keyboard, mouse and monitor in original box. As a bonus, someone had upgraded this with a Media Vision multimedia kit, so it has a PAS16, 2x SCSI CDROM and fancy Labtec stereo speakers! So far, everything works, and the CRT is absolutely gorgeous! Perfect blacks, excellent color.

I found it listed recently and managed to get it for a great price in untested condition. Thankfully, the seller not only packaged it back into the box appropriately (base off of monitor, original packaging in place and double boxed to protect the artwork!!).

Inside it is incredibly clean and the CMOS battery is, thankfully, external. It had slightly corroded the battery negative battery pin but there appears to be no damage on the top of the board (haven't pulled it yet to check the back). Everything else seems to be working great though! I get a tiny bit of sporadic noise from the power supply so I will probably crack that open and see how things look in there.

To my astonishment, I managed to get the hard drive reading by just setting the drive parameters to auto (not as shown in the picture above... those are the defaults due to the lack of battery) and rebooting the PC. It has DOS, Windows 3.1 and an interesting startup program called Dell Library Menu.

Also, there are hand-written labels on the pull tabs on all of the drive ribbon cables... but not on the CD-ROM cable which was added later. Surely, the writing didn't come from Dell, did it? 🤣

Anyway, I plan on making a thread about this but I had to post something now. I'm super excited to get it 100% cleaned up and to get all the kinks worked out.
From my reading online, non-business-oriented Dell PCs were barely a thing in 1993, which is when this was manufactured. It's very well built too. The back of the chassis is painted and looks very "premium", except for the fact that the keyboard "hole" is obviously DIN\AT sized but has a PS/2 port in the middle of it... which tells me this case wasn't tooled exactly for this machine.

Nice, just a point to note about Dells earlier history.. they were a system assembly clone shop at first, and for a couple of years, then branching into ordering machines built of commodity parts to rebadge from Asian and other manufacturers and then finally building up the financial muscle to custom order and custom manufacture. (Also much the same progression from Gateway, Packard Bell etc) This one is of an age that was either assembled at Dell USA from commodity parts, or built in Asia from mainly commodity parts at Dell's behest.

There's something of a 1987 to 1997 memory hole, practically everything went into magazines and periodicals 1987 and earlier, you at least made sure you got a 1/4 page ad and prodded for a "newsette" if you had a new product... but the whole business was exploding, so what was happening was there became too much going on to cover comprehensively, and at the same time preliminary "online" things were happening, in the form of manufacturers own BBS, mailing lists by email, AOL and Compuserve sections (and the also rans like Prodigy etc) Compuserve deserves a special mention for sucking.... up all kinds of tech info in it's conferences... then *poof* it's gone. By 1997 these proprietary online presences were recognised as being "over" in comparison with the non-proprietary WWW and more concentration on WWW happened. But, all that stuff from BBSes and special presences on AOL/Compuserve etc was not moved over in significant ways. The non proprietary info on usenet newsgroups has got archived in hard to access manners, try narkive and google groups but it's painful.

Interesting. Thank you!

There is a "Made in the USA" sticker right on the front of the case, though I don't know to what degree it was "made" here. The inner part of the chassis says "Loyalty Founder 101 B107" and "Loyalty Founder 101B104" (yes, with the uneven spacing). There is a stamp inside the metal cover that is very faint but says "OK" and has some Asian symbols on it... so at least that part is likely made somewhere in Asia.

There is an FCC ID on the bottom of the case: https://fccid.io/E2K486WKM

Mfg. Date: 100593 (October 5th 1993)

The model number is 450DX2MD... which surprisingly turns up zero results online. You're definitely right that there's a large void in computing history because of all those services shutting down.

After much struggling I managed to get the power supply out and after even more struggling I managed to open it up to check the internals. To me, this looks like a replacement power supply. It is branded as Dell, but there is a date of 1995 on it and it is rated at 240W, rather than the 200W advertised on the box. It does, however, appear to be a standard AT power supply. I am considering putting an up to date ATX PSU in this thing with an ATX to AT adapter... but it also seems to be working fine overall, other than a slight intermittent ticking noise once in a while. I'll have to keep an eye on it. I tried checking the caps with my DE-5000 LCR meter, but I'm just not that experienced with it and testing them in circuit seems to be giving me garbage readings.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 48305 of 52803, by mrfusion92

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2023-03-03, 17:09:

I hope it does good for you... my opinion of Gigabyte's AGP expertise is, to start with a tote full of various AGP cards, and whichever one of several hundred actually run without quirks or errors through all tests, glue it into the AGP slot, so you don't have to go through that crap again.

Oh man I got this motherboard with the universal slot just to be able to try most of the agp cards I'll get my hands on in the future.. and not stick with only one 🤣

I know that some special agp cards show some quirks in universal slot but in this case I have other systems to try it on.

Reply 48306 of 52803, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Recieved a Macbook Pro 2011 that I bought..... However there were some funky stuff going on with the harddrive, that demanded me to use a HDD tool from UBC to erase the drive. I was also unable to install Mountain Lion OS from the install tool that are for download on Apple's website.... Why Apple, WHY do you offer a download for online upgrade with an expired certificate???? WHY. (Stupid Apple).

But I installed the installer, retrieved the DMG file from within the installer, and moved it to my Linux machine. Then flashed it to a SD card and installed Mountain Lion from scratch. Nobody shall tell me that it can not be done, due some stupid expired certificate. 🤣...

Anyway... 2011 MacBook Pro. And it just need a few things to fix it up. Need new battery. Need new rubber feet. Need SSD installed and I will ditch the optical drive for an extra internal harddrive that will be the 500 gigabyte spinning platter drive. SSD for OS and programs, spinning platter for data. I will also upgrade the memmory, and then this will be my backup machine, and I will use it to store pictures and music. Also a good writing tool. A well build machine, that can run MacOS, Windows and Linux. Probably even BSD Unix if I dare to venture into that.

I really like the build quality on this machine. Though I find it a bit annoying that I have to remove screws to get into the machine. My HP ProBook 6460b still outshines. Yet the Mac have light in the keys....

MacBookPro2011.jpg
Filename
MacBookPro2011.jpg
File size
1.75 MiB
Views
File license

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 48307 of 52803, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brostenen wrote on 2023-03-03, 17:52:
Recieved a Macbook Pro 2011 that I bought..... However there were some funky stuff going on with the harddrive, that demanded me […]
Show full quote

Recieved a Macbook Pro 2011 that I bought..... However there were some funky stuff going on with the harddrive, that demanded me to use a HDD tool from UBC to erase the drive. I was also unable to install Mountain Lion OS from the install tool that are for download on Apple's website.... Why Apple, WHY do you offer a download for online upgrade with an expired certificate???? WHY. (Stupid Apple).

But I installed the installer, retrieved the DMG file from within the installer, and moved it to my Linux machine. Then flashed it to a SD card and installed Mountain Lion from scratch. Nobody shall tell me that it can not be done, due some stupid expired certificate. 🤣...

Anyway... 2011 MacBook Pro. And it just need a few things to fix it up. Need new battery. Need new rubber feet. Need SSD installed and I will ditch the optical drive for an extra internal harddrive that will be the 500 gigabyte spinning platter drive. SSD for OS and programs, spinning platter for data. I will also upgrade the memmory, and then this will be my backup machine, and I will use it to store pictures and music. Also a good writing tool. A well build machine, that can run MacOS, Windows and Linux. Probably even BSD Unix if I dare to venture into that.

I really like the build quality on this machine. Though I find it a bit annoying that I have to remove screws to get into the machine. My HP ProBook 6460b still outshines. Yet the Mac have light in the keys....

MacBookPro2011.jpg

I have one of those that I picked up for free off Craigslist. I upgraded it to an SSD, sixteen gigabytes of memory, and I used DosDude's patch to install Catalina. https://dosdude1.com/catalina/

I also have a Macbook Unibody that I recently swapped the hard drive and needed to reinstall the Mac OS. When tried to use the internet recovery, it would stall out. I found a forum that had a keyboard sequence that would try to download a supported OS (I believe it was Option, Command, R) and after that it downloaded and installed El Capitan with no issue. Since it had been upgraded to eight gigabytes of RAM, I used the Dosdude patch to install Catalina on it as well.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 48308 of 52803, by DW12

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

From the category "weird shit that I found and bought on the internet", today I received a new, in box Microsoft wireless mouse with a weird branding on it. It looks kind of ridiculous, but works.

Attachments

Reply 48309 of 52803, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2023-03-03, 17:19:
Interesting. Thank you! […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

Interesting. Thank you!

There is a "Made in the USA" sticker right on the front of the case, though I don't know to what degree it was "made" here. The inner part of the chassis says "Loyalty Founder 101 B107" and "Loyalty Founder 101B104" (yes, with the uneven spacing). There is a stamp inside the metal cover that is very faint but says "OK" and has some Asian symbols on it... so at least that part is likely made somewhere in Asia.

The model number is 450DX2MD... which surprisingly turns up zero results online. You're definitely right that there's a large void in computing history because of all those services shutting down.

After much struggling I managed to get the power supply out and after even more struggling I managed to open it up to check the internals. To me, this looks like a replacement power supply. It is branded as Dell, but there is a date of 1995 on it and it is rated at 240W, rather than the 200W advertised on the box. It does, however, appear to be a standard AT power supply. I am considering putting an up to date ATX PSU in this thing with an ATX to AT adapter... but it also seems to be working fine overall, other than a slight intermittent ticking noise once in a while. I'll have to keep an eye on it. I tried checking the caps with my DE-5000 LCR meter, but I'm just not that experienced with it and testing them in circuit seems to be giving me garbage readings.

Front panel seems quite similar to those on the various V486 MDT models...maybe you can spot other commonalities by drilling down further against each of those listed here - https://web.archive.org/web/19961222080831/ht … tech/try486.htm

Reply 48310 of 52803, by Brawndo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Dropped in to the local thrift store on my lunch break today, and it's always exciting to see a beige box sitting on the shelf. Picked this up for $15, complete sans hard drive. Has what appears to be a Jetway 630CF mobo which is socket 370, not sure if it's a P3 or Celeron. I verified it powers up but I'll have to wait until I get home to connect it to a monitor to check any further functionality. If nothing else the case alone is worth $15.

20230303-132551.jpg
20230303-132726.jpg

Reply 48311 of 52803, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

These arrived in the mail today, another sound card (AWE64 CT4500) and a Pentium 486 SX-33.

The latter I'm thinking of using in a lower-end 486 build for early 90s adventure and RPG games.

Attachments

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 48312 of 52803, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Brawndo wrote on 2023-03-03, 20:56:
Dropped in to the local thrift store on my lunch break today, and it's always exciting to see a beige box sitting on the shelf. […]
Show full quote

Dropped in to the local thrift store on my lunch break today, and it's always exciting to see a beige box sitting on the shelf. Picked this up for $15, complete sans hard drive. Has what appears to be a Jetway 630CF mobo which is socket 370, not sure if it's a P3 or Celeron. I verified it powers up but I'll have to wait until I get home to connect it to a monitor to check any further functionality. If nothing else the case alone is worth $15.

20230303-132551.jpg
20230303-132726.jpg

Nice find! Case looks in good shape, definitely worth the 15 bucks!

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 48313 of 52803, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dropped in to the local thrift store on my lunch break today, and it's always exciting to see a beige box sitting on the shelf. […]
Show full quote

20230303-132551.jpg
20230303-132726.jpg

It has a Via sticker on it. Does it say Via Cyrix III? That's a Socket 370 CPU, so it would fit... and it seems like something you'd certainly see combined with a Jetway motherboard with an SIS chipset and integrated video.

The caps look nice and flat! 😀

Reply 48314 of 52803, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2023-03-03, 20:54:
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2023-03-03, 17:19:
Interesting. Thank you! […]
Show full quote

Interesting. Thank you!

Front panel seems quite similar to those on the various V486 MDT models...maybe you can spot other commonalities by drilling down further against each of those listed here - https://web.archive.org/web/19961222080831/ht … tech/try486.htm

Wow, nice sleuthing! Definitely looks like the V486 MDT models. The specs seem closest to the Rev. 3 as well. It seems they may have slightly reconfigured one of those, used a different badge and box and sold it as a family home computer at retail. You know... I meant to check the box for any labels that would indicate the store it came from. Hmm... 😮

Reply 48315 of 52803, by IcySon55

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Bancho wrote on 2020-07-08, 10:41:
Sound Card/Wavetable Board arrived today. From reading i think this card come out of an IBM machine. […]
Show full quote

Sound Card/Wavetable Board arrived today. From reading i think this card come out of an IBM machine.

S-16FP/L Crystal CS4236 Sound card & S-W1/C Daughterboard with Crystal CS9233 Synth.

lao3LzAl.jpg

Hi Bancho, I'm looking for precisely this card and daughterboard to restore my IBM Aptiva 2136 to its original 1998 glory! Any idea where I can pick them up?

Reply 48316 of 52803, by Brawndo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2023-03-03, 22:27:
Show full quote

20230303-132551.jpg
20230303-132726.jpg

It has a Via sticker on it. Does it say Via Cyrix III? That's a Socket 370 CPU, so it would fit... and it seems like something you'd certainly see combined with a Jetway motherboard with an SIS chipset and integrated video.

The caps look nice and flat! 😀

It does indeed say Cyrix III with 3dNow! I didn't even look that closely at it. I've never had a Cyrix CPU.

Reply 48317 of 52803, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Bought a lot of heatsinks because I noticed a couple that had CPUs in sockets under the heatsinks, one with an interposer.
Check out what was under them!

6x86L_front.jpg
Filename
6x86L_front.jpg
File size
213.01 KiB
Views
File license

The interposer is set for 2.8v and 2.5x multiplier
-----------------------------------
What is this one? (Looks like an AMD K5)

unknown_front.jpg
Filename
unknown_front.jpg
File size
232 KiB
Views
File license
unknown_back.jpg
Filename
unknown_back.jpg
File size
297.72 KiB
Views
File license

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 48318 of 52803, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thats a weird as hell PR rating on that 6x86...doesn't exist as far as my digging goes and what little there is makes that 2VXP000GZ ID make no damn sense.

Even the voltage 2.XV ..WTF is that .

I'm guessing its a ES chip which makes it even more interesting, though it might be fake but who would fake a 6x86 ..heck it could be a miss print.

Im both confused and intrigued at the same time ...perhaps you can uhhh fire the old girl up and shed some light on it.

The second one looks like an early K5 but its not ceramic ..looks more like the plastic fiber CPUs but its clearly ceramic from the bottom, another enigma worth looking into.

Edit - The more I look at it the more im inclined to believe that 6x86 is an ES chip.

Last edited by TrashPanda on 2023-03-04, 02:16. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 48319 of 52803, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, they are of course ES chips. A quick search didn't show any like them that I saw.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK