VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 48700 of 52879, by eesz34

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TrashPanda wrote on 2023-03-30, 10:43:

Bought this NIB Gigabyte Iram today, seems like a pretty cool way to use spare DDR to act as a SSD like device. Seller sates the battery seems fine but I will likely buy a new one for it as a spare, not sure if these can be recharged or not. (Yes they can be, says right on the battery doh)

That's intriguing. I didn't know anything like this was produced for such a modern system. (If it's not ISA or *maybe* PCI it's "modern" ha ha)

Reply 48701 of 52879, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
eesz34 wrote on 2023-03-30, 11:41:

Bought this NIB Gigabyte Iram today, seems like a pretty cool way to use spare DDR to act as a SSD like device. Seller sates the battery seems fine but I will likely buy a new one for it as a spare, not sure if these can be recharged or not. (Yes they can be, says right on the battery doh)

That's intriguing. I didn't know anything like this was produced for such a modern system. (If it's not ISA or *maybe* PCI it's "modern" ha ha)

its PCI, and limited to sata 1 speeds.

Reply 48702 of 52879, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Bought this NIB Gigabyte Iram today, seems like a pretty cool way to use spare DDR to act as a SSD like device.

I wouldnt even open the box and leave it as is. With its limitations (4GB, 150MB/s) completely useless in the age of disposable $15 256GB SSDs, but cool item to go on a shelf. Raiding 4 of those http://kiti.main.jp/Report/Waller/Waller1.htm http://kiti.main.jp/Report/Waller/Waller2.htm

Last edited by rasz_pl on 2023-03-30, 12:21. Edited 1 time in total.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 48703 of 52879, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Socket3 wrote on 2023-03-30, 11:16:

I love the Volari card's look - a real monster. I remember seeing them back in the day when I was working as a repair technician for a large IT hardware importer. They were larger and heavier then any other consumer GPU in production. We also got quite a few of them for RMA. There was nothing wrong with the cards, the issue actually was the client's PC. I remember a case where a client purchased a Volari Duo and installed it in a 933MHz pentium 3 with a 250w no-name power supply. The whole system would freeze as soon as it booted into windows.

At first he sent in the card alone - I tested the card it was perfectly fine and sent it back. Then he came into one of our stores and started complaining, so I had to drive to said store and have a look at his setup. He did not understand that the power supply was insufficient. I had to run his machine off a 550w Antec Truepower test PSU they had in the shop - and then he complained about how it got the same score as the Geforce 2 Pro he had before updating. I spent the better part of the day explaining CPU bottlenecks and power requirements. At the end of the day we setup a test rig consisting of an athlon XP 2200+ and his volari card, with predictable results -the test rig scored twice in 3dmark. He then bough a 2.5Ghz pentium 4 CPU and motherboard. What annoyed me is that the (substantial) sales commission went to one of the store workers despite me spending half the day with the client.

Wow that really sucks you had to travel do all the work and didn't get the commission for all the trouble you had to go through.

Reply 48704 of 52879, by eesz34

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TrashPanda wrote on 2023-03-30, 11:51:

Ahh ok, I didn't pay enough attention then. Released in 2005 so less than 20 years old.

Reply 48706 of 52879, by Socket3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2023-03-30, 12:18:
Socket3 wrote on 2023-03-30, 11:16:

I love the Volari card's look - a real monster. I remember seeing them back in the day when I was working as a repair technician for a large IT hardware importer. They were larger and heavier then any other consumer GPU in production. We also got quite a few of them for RMA. There was nothing wrong with the cards, the issue actually was the client's PC. I remember a case where a client purchased a Volari Duo and installed it in a 933MHz pentium 3 with a 250w no-name power supply. The whole system would freeze as soon as it booted into windows.

At first he sent in the card alone - I tested the card it was perfectly fine and sent it back. Then he came into one of our stores and started complaining, so I had to drive to said store and have a look at his setup. He did not understand that the power supply was insufficient. I had to run his machine off a 550w Antec Truepower test PSU they had in the shop - and then he complained about how it got the same score as the Geforce 2 Pro he had before updating. I spent the better part of the day explaining CPU bottlenecks and power requirements. At the end of the day we setup a test rig consisting of an athlon XP 2200+ and his volari card, with predictable results -the test rig scored twice in 3dmark. He then bough a 2.5Ghz pentium 4 CPU and motherboard. What annoyed me is that the (substantial) sales commission went to one of the store workers despite me spending half the day with the client.

Wow that really sucks you had to travel do all the work and didn't get the commission for all the trouble you had to go through.

That's the way it goes in corporate environments sometimes. I worked in service / RMA, I was not entitled to a commission...

Reply 48707 of 52879, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TrashPanda wrote on 2023-03-30, 11:51:

That's pretty neat... Now registered DDR shouldn't have an overall performance penalty in that, so 2GB and 4GB server modules might work... apart from it being really hard to find them without also having ECC which tends to be the compatibility problem. Well that is if Gigabyte connected the lines for more than 1GB/module. ... then you could have 16GB and XP or so on it, instant on PC with an atom board in your car, so you can play bangers like canyon.mid on the road.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 48708 of 52879, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've wanted to get one of those i-RAM drives but was never willing to pay the price they go for.

They also came in a 5.25" bay format.

There is a company that is getting ready to release a PCIe device that takes DDR4 modules. Initial testing shows a 15GB/s throughput.

The nice thing about these types of devices is that the seek times will be significantly faster than SSDs.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 48709 of 52879, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I picked up an i-RAM a few years back but I have yet to test it since it needs a battery to survive a system shut down. I believe it also has a couple of bad or damaged caps on it.

It's definitely a neat idea, but yeah... the performance is probably indistinguishable from even a slow SSD.

As for faster seek times... there may be specific work loads that benefit from that, but as it is there is almost zero tangible benefit from NVMe over SATA in most cases. Generally, once you get past spinning media and move to solid state of any kind, only enthusiasts with specific workloads will notice much of a difference.

... that said, I draw the line at DRAMless QLC SATA drives personally. The performance drop off when doing very large file transfers is just not worth the pennies saved.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 48710 of 52879, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote on 2023-03-30, 19:59:

There is a company that is getting ready to release a PCIe device that takes DDR4 modules. Initial testing shows a 15GB/s throughput.

afaik its a russian site hiding the fact they are russians ("made in san jose", youtube location Singapore). They have plenty "out of stock" listings in the store with prices (cheaper than FPGA would cost) despite the fact they never sold anything.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 48711 of 52879, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2023-03-30, 20:29:

... that said, I draw the line at DRAMless QLC SATA drives personally. The performance drop off when doing very large file transfers is just not worth the pennies saved.

This is my opinion as well.

I've thought about these iRAM drives a couple of times, but fast CF cards already exist and the added stress of having a battery coupled with taking up a precious PCI slot for only 4GB is a very hard sell now. It's not even valuable to me as a swap drive.

Reply 48712 of 52879, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kahenraz wrote on 2023-03-30, 22:34:

This is my opinion as well.

I've thought about these iRAM drives a couple of times, but fast CF cards already exist and the added stress of having a battery coupled with taking up a precious PCI slot for only 4GB is a very hard sell now. It's not even valuable to me as a swap drive.

Yeah it has limitations which make it impractical for use in a machine that's only used infrequently, I grabbed it because its a rather cool bit of tech that will look great along side my other oddities like the hybrid AGP/PCIe boards and the dual socket 754/939 board.

I am curious if itll take the server DDR modules suggested above so I may give it a quick test run and see what it does as I do have a couple odd DDR server modules in the spares box.

Reply 48713 of 52879, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
I picked up an i-RAM a few years back but I have yet to test it since it needs a battery to survive a system shut down. I believ […]
Show full quote

I picked up an i-RAM a few years back but I have yet to test it since it needs a battery to survive a system shut down. I believe it also has a couple of bad or damaged caps on it.

It's definitely a neat idea, but yeah... the performance is probably indistinguishable from even a slow SSD.

As for faster seek times... there may be specific work loads that benefit from that, but as it is there is almost zero tangible benefit from NVMe over SATA in most cases. Generally, once you get past spinning media and move to solid state of any kind, only enthusiasts with specific workloads will notice much of a difference.

Cheap Large Dramless QLC drives do have a purpose, they are great for handling data you don't write to often but can benefit from being read back quickly ..like Bluray dvd rips and such. I have two 8tb Samsung SSDs being used for that in media PCs and they function fine for that task. (faster and quieter than spinning rust so were worth the initial cost, should also produce less heat and last longer too)

I wouldnt use them for anything requiring fast writing or constant access.

Reply 48714 of 52879, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I feel as though there is such a small difference in price between with or without DRAM, that I may as well buy it with DRAM so avoid adding marginal drives to my collection.

Does anyone have a good use for an iRAM over an SSD?

Reply 48715 of 52879, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kahenraz wrote on 2023-03-31, 03:26:

I feel as though there is such a small difference in price between with or without DRAM, that I may as well buy it with DRAM so avoid adding marginal drives to my collection.

The 8Tb Dram TLC/MLC SSDs are stupidly expensive, the 4TB versions are no different, so if all you need is fast read mass storage for infrequently written data then there is little point is buying the expensive Dram SSDs, if read/write speed isn't an issue then nothing beats Spinning Rust for both size and cost and in a Raid 5 setup Spinning Rust cant be beat for long term reliable Mass storage.

If you are looking at 2TB or less then yea I agree no point in grabbing the cheap QLC drives, you will always be better off with the slightly more expensive Dram SSDs.

Reply 48716 of 52879, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kahenraz wrote on 2023-03-31, 03:26:

None other than its using spare ram you may already have laying around, its not meant to replace a Sata SSD but work along side it, its access times should be considerably faster than most SSDs of that time too. If it can use the 2gb server DDR sticks then it it could be a nice 8Gb Ram Disk.
Im thinking that under Linux it could potentially be very useful.

Reply 48717 of 52879, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I guess if you had a well tuned linux install on a Pentium D or something board that only took 2GB of RAM you might like fast swap you can hammer away at without a write limit. Though even so you could probably give it a partition of 32GB on a cheap 256MB SSD, leave the rest unallocated, and with the combo of less rewrites from bigger swapfile and plenty of spare sectors to reallocate, it would last a decade probably.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 48719 of 52879, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kahenraz wrote on 2023-03-31, 05:11:

I thought the max size of iRAM was 4GB. Can anyone confirm?

It is if it only supports normal DDR, not sure yet if it can work with the 2gb ECC DDR sticks, I have a few here I can test with, if it works Ill likely grab 4 2gb sticks off the bay.